Hassan gave me a new way to see the City

I needed to test something quickly so I generated a character and zoned straight into Atlas. Easy enough and then Real Life(tm) started to distract me somewhat, as I was running around. With limited attention, I latched onto Hassan, who was taking a stroll in Atlas Park. It was the middle of the day, and the sun was shining. Thankfully, for the first time in ages, it wasn't raining in Atlas Park.

Hassan was about 45, give or take, reasonably well dressed, probably working in one of the few office blocks that hadn't been devastated by the Council, Clockwork or similar. He was quiet, unassuming, not terribly talkative to be fair, but polite enough. He raised his hand to acknowledge me and continued on his way.

So in my semi-distracted way I decided to follow him using the F key. Nothing unusual in that I guess. We've all done that before I'm sure.

But in this instance it was different. As I went about my other Real Life(tm) related business I was able to watch my screen as Hassan and I took quite an extended constitutional perambulation across the open vistas of Atlas Park.

And I have to tell you I was very pleased that I did. It gave me something that I'm not sure I had known before, a "snail's eye" view of the city from the perspective of one of the most put-upon characters in the game; the Pedestrian. It also allowed me to marvel at the architecture of the city, discover a couple of nooks and crannies heretofore unseen, and kick Hellion arse while Hassan continued his aimless meanderings.

I observed my display as one might observe a more interesting screen saver for close on 30 minutes until Hassan, clearly bored with my unhindered stalking, led me to a large group of Hellions and that character has since gone to the realms where pixelated characters go when they cease to be. He waved politely as I collapsed on the ground, struck down by mortal wounds, and wandered off, unlikely to ever be seen again in that iteration.

But during our little excursion I was able to focus on t he city rather than the foes, the mission, the badges, the things that usually preoccupy my time in our beloved urban metropolis and just take a view driven by someone else and that was not simply relaxing but refreshing and gave me a greater appreciation of our environment.

I recommend it to you all. Perhaps we should initiate some walking tours around our fair demense.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

... But I don't understand, how many merits did you get???

• Haha 9

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Okay. Now if you see Snarky following a pedestrian in Atlas I do not want to hear a word about it. It was all Scarlet Shockers idea. So talk to them not me. 

And if you see Monty following Snarky, who is following a pedestrian, because of Scarlet Shockers idea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

... But I don't understand, how many merits did you get???

The entire concept has merit! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

2 hours ago, ChzBoi said:

......I smell a conga line.......

I smell multiple restraining orders.

• Haha 3

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Hassan gave you to the Hellions.  He noticed you following him and led you straight into a trap.  He's clearly working with them, possibly even a high-ranking member posing as an innocent citizen specifically to do this to heroes.

tumblr_n2wds0X5CR1s67vyfo3_250.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I've followed citz around like that. Never thought of it quite in that way, though.

Now I'm wondering why you'd follow them like that and...

Well let's just say all my psionic characters are reeling in disgust. 🤣

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Hassan gave you to the Hellions.  He noticed you following him and led you straight into a trap.  He's clearly working with them, possibly even a high-ranking member posing as an innocent citizen specifically to do this to heroes.

tumblr_n2wds0X5CR1s67vyfo3_250.gif

I'm going to be completely serious for a moment because you genuinely made me consider something I'd not until reading this.

In anything like a real world situation what I did to Hassan could be considered real abuse. And if the boot were on the other foot and somebody with immense power suddenly started following me around, I'd be positively terrified. Doubly so if the authorities were known to be on their side.

So maybe you're right. Just maybe I terrified him and he led me there to save himself. He could have just asked me to stop following him though. Not a peep.

1 minute ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

In anything like a real world situation what I did to Hassan could be considered real abuse.

Unless the person you were trailing wanted you to follow him/her so he/she could lead you into a trap.  I've seen movies, I know what happens to people who follow other people.  They end up in someone's hamburger, or with a "Now, that's a knife" knife pressed under their willie, or worse!

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

24 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Unless the person you were trailing wanted you to follow him/her so he/she could lead you into a trap.  I've seen movies, I know what happens to people who follow other people.  They end up in someone's hamburger, or with a "Now, that's a knife" knife pressed under their willie, or worse!

ef939468ba7220ece2c7add5d8690a2343fb0632

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

18 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

In anything like a real world situation what I did to Hassan could be considered real abuse. And if the boot were on the other foot and somebody with immense power suddenly started following me around, I'd be positively terrified. Doubly so if the authorities were known to be on their side.

Well if it was anything like the real world than people with metahuman powers would either be property of a corporation, agents of a government, wanted criminals or dead.

• Microphone 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

48 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Well if it was anything like the real world than people with metahuman powers would either be property of a corporation, agents of a government, wanted criminals or dead.

Or hiding their abilities and doing everything they can to not draw attention to themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I'm going to be completely serious for a moment because you genuinely made me consider something I'd not until reading this.

So maybe you're right. Just maybe I terrified him and he led me there to save himself. He could have just asked me to stop following him though. Not a peep.

Also, just because the game mechanics use 'F'ollow mechanics, the point of view you told to us was more along the lines of you and Hassan were enjoying a friendly stroll together through the city with not a lot of chatting but a lot of taking in the view and contemplating life in general, like Atlas Park was a giant zen garden and your were meandering about you path. I didn't find it creepy at all.

It actually reminded me of an occurrence back on Legacy with a friend I RP'd with, we were sitting outside Mrs. Peebles bar enjoying a meal and conversing when another player came up, talked to Peebles and was about to bound off when the turned and observed us for a few moments before saying in local that they originally thought that we were NPC's. I think that's the best compliment and RP'er can get. XD

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.