Using in game models of enemies, what do you think would translate to a cool new powerset for MM?

Zilean

I know its probably hard for the devs to start from scratch and build a completely fresh power set for the MM community, but with that in mind we already have some great options available to us in game. Here are my suggestions in no particular order.

1. Snake Charmer - (Snakes) Could have a heavy focus on being resistant to damage, building up toxic damage/slows/holds and even have a Gang War type ability where one of your minions lays a bunch of eggs and they all spawn little snakes to go and be annoying. If snakes aren't your thing then you could easily insert the models from Arachnoids instead. Would require a name change though.

2. Witch Doctor - (Banished Pantheon) Instead of using some of the zombies from those models, could do a focus on much smaller totems being t1, spirits being t2 and Death/Storm Shaman as t3. All spirits could be another option. x2 Sorrow/1 Desire for t1. x2 Pain for t2 and t3 being Death.

3. Tinkerer - (Clockwork) I know we already have bots at home but the potential for controlling a melee menagerie of metal monstrosities is a market we are missing out on. Plus we have all of those cool steampunk options for our costume. Options could be for t1 are sprockets, t2 cannon/tesla knights, and of course the assembler prince as the t3. Heavy focus on melee, elec, and end drain/debuffs.

4. Carny - (Carnival of Shadow/Light/Vengeance/War) - Still working on the name but there are four different options to pick models from. 3 fencers, 2 Seneschals and a Master illusionist going ham sounds like success to me. A focus on buffing defense, fire/psi damage and some holds sprinkled in. 

5. Plants/Rock - (Devouring Earth/Fir Bolgs or Devouring Earth/ Minions of Igneous) - Not as catchy as some of the other names but still a solid option due to all of the in game options we have. For Plants you have the plant side of DE causing slows, toxic damage, setting down cairns or fungi for buffs. For rocks you have the quartz/granite or even igneous minions focusing on knocking back/down, fire damage and lowering resistances/defenses.

Again these are all just personal opinions on some cool options that are already in game. And obviously a lot of these would have to be scaled and balanced to make it workable in game. What are some options you guys/gals would like to see?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You've already got Clocks and Carnies, which are pretty top tier for me personally, but here are a few miscellaneous ideas (and a refinement for #5), in no particular order:

Magician - (Animus Arcana)  For this, I would try and do something unique, making each summon different, so Minions would be Cloud of Ice, Fireball, and Lightning Storm; Lieutenants would be Crystal Ball and Forbidden Knowledge; and the Boss would be maybe Vorpal Sword.  Obviously, each of these would need to be balanced quite a bit, but the idea is to have a wide variety of summons.  For attacks I might do Lift, Propel, and a Luminous AoE Blast with a -ToHit on it.

Elementalist - (Animus Arcana)  An alternative to the above, focusing purely on the minion level mobs: 3 Fireballs, 2 Lightning Storms, and a Cloud of Ice.  Attacks could be Lightning Bolt, Freeze Ray, and Fireball.  Admittedly pretty generic, but we currently don't have anything that covers multiple elements in the same set, which would set this apart.

Cimeroran / ??? - (Cimeroran Traitors + Talons of Vengeance)  Some sort of mythological Mastermind with Harpies (Devotee), Gorgons, and a Minotaur.  Attacks could be a Throwing Knife, Pilum, and Greek Fire (an AoE, fire-based grenade attack).  Probably need to flesh this out a bit, but could be an interesting foundation for something.

Vulcanist - (Minions of Igneous)  A master of volcanoes would summon Pumicite Minions, both an Elder Pumicite and Elder Magmite as Lieutenants, and a Magmite Lord Boss.  I like the idea of having both an Earth and Fire themed Lieutenant for a little added variety.  The Pumicite mobs would probably need to be expanded with Seismic Blast attacks and I'd give the Elder Pumice some Knockdown abilities.   Obviously, these guys would need to be slowed down a bit. 😉  For the Mastermind attacks, I'd probably go Encase, Shatter, Rock Shards and keep the Seismic Pressure mechanic, allowing for some Knockdown on the cone; perhaps adjust the attacks to be Smashing/Fire or add a Fire DoT to them.  Alternatively, you could go Stone Spears (from Earth Assault), Stalagmite (from Seismic Blast), and a ranged Fault (from Stone Melee); again, adding some Fire damage to the attacks.  For the special ability I might try and combine Earthquake and Volcanic Gasses into an Eruption ability that's a Location Knockdown that does Fire DoT and has a chance to Disorient (instead of Hold).

Fragment of Rularuu - (Soldiers of Rularuu)  I freaking love Rularuu, and a Rularuu-themed Mastermind would be absolutely fantastic.  2 Natterlings and a Brute for the Minions, Overseer Lieutenants, and a Wisp Overlord Boss.  The Brute Minion would be the buffer of the group with Crystal of Vigor (PBAoE Dam Buff) and Crystal of Resilience (PBAoE Heal) from the upgrade powers.  I think I'd go with Thorn-based attacks like Thorny Darts, Impale, and Fling Thorns.  Alternatively, you could go with Psychic attacks, but the Thorn attacks seem more unique and fitting, IMO.  For the special ability, I might try and integrate the Monument abilities into mutually exclusive Stances that grant passive buffs to your pets, such as Fury (+Dam), Hatred (+Recovery), Malice (+Acc), Torment (+Regen).

Huntmaster / Shadowlord - (Spirit Stalkers)   A sort of Negative version of Beast Summoner with Shadow Hounds, Spirit Panthers, and Wodan.  The attacks could even mimic the Huntmaster, using Blazing Arrow, Crystal Arrow, and a cone version of Shadow Arrow.  This would also give Masterminds a second bow-set, and a Negative set that's different enough from Necromancy while also being different enough from Beast Summoning.

Gargoyles - (Wailers)  A Sonic-themed Mastermind with Wailers, Wailer Queens, and a Wailer King, using Shriek, Scream, and Howl for their attacks.  The -Resistance of this set would be fairly solid, allowing these pets to do a moderate amount of damage, but the real benefit would be when teaming with others.

Winter Lord - (Winter Horde)  I've always been a fan of cold-themed sets so something like a Winter Lord would be awesome in my book.  Using Frostlings, Blights, and a Snow Beast alongside Ice Bolt, Freeze Ray, and Frost Breath.  Other alternate mobs could be reskinned Fire Imps, Cloud of Ice (Animus Arcana), Hellfrost (Circle of Thorns), Nerva Spectral (Circle of Thorns), Blade Prince (Circle of Thorns).  Personally, I'd try and steer away from the CoT mobs, except maybe the Hellfrost since it doesn't look too demony, otherwise you're just making a Cold Demon Summoning set.  This set would have a good amount of -Recharge, which would add to the overall survivability of the set.

A few others I looked at were Corolax, DUST/TEST, Ghouls, Longbow, Nemesis (Jaeger MM would be pretty neat), Resistance, Rogue Robots.  Also, you could probably do 3 different IDF themed MMs (Trooper, Ranger, Commander, Orbs; BCU, ACU, Vicky; Seeker, Diviner, Augur).  Alternatively, I could see IDF being the basis of some Praetorian-themed EATs.  Ghouls could be interesting, especially if Death and Glory is kept intact.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cyclone Jack said:

You've already got Clocks and Carnies, which are pretty top tier for me personally, but here are a few miscellaneous ideas (and a refinement for #5), in no particular order:

Magician - (Animus Arcana)  For this, I would try and do something unique, making each summon different, so Minions would be Cloud of Ice, Fireball, and Lightning Storm; Lieutenants would be Crystal Ball and Forbidden Knowledge; and the Boss would be maybe Vorpal Sword.  Obviously, each of these would need to be balanced quite a bit, but the idea is to have a wide variety of summons.  For attacks I might do Lift, Propel, and a Luminous AoE Blast with a -ToHit on it.

Elementalist - (Animus Arcana)  An alternative to the above, focusing purely on the minion level mobs: 3 Fireballs, 2 Lightning Storms, and a Cloud of Ice.  Attacks could be Lightning Bolt, Freeze Ray, and Fireball.  Admittedly pretty generic, but we currently don't have anything that covers multiple elements in the same set, which would set this apart.

Cimeroran / ??? - (Cimeroran Traitors + Talons of Vengeance)  Some sort of mythological Mastermind with Harpies (Devotee), Gorgons, and a Minotaur.  Attacks could be a Throwing Knife, Pilum, and Greek Fire (an AoE, fire-based grenade attack).  Probably need to flesh this out a bit, but could be an interesting foundation for something.

Vulcanist - (Minions of Igneous)  A master of volcanoes would summon Pumicite Minions, both an Elder Pumicite and Elder Magmite as Lieutenants, and a Magmite Lord Boss.  I like the idea of having both an Earth and Fire themed Lieutenant for a little added variety.  The Pumicite mobs would probably need to be expanded with Seismic Blast attacks and I'd give the Elder Pumice some Knockdown abilities.   Obviously, these guys would need to be slowed down a bit. 😉  For the Mastermind attacks, I'd probably go Encase, Shatter, Rock Shards and keep the Seismic Pressure mechanic, allowing for some Knockdown on the cone; perhaps adjust the attacks to be Smashing/Fire or add a Fire DoT to them.  Alternatively, you could go Stone Spears (from Earth Assault), Stalagmite (from Seismic Blast), and a ranged Fault (from Stone Melee); again, adding some Fire damage to the attacks.  For the special ability I might try and combine Earthquake and Volcanic Gasses into an Eruption ability that's a Location Knockdown that does Fire DoT and has a chance to Disorient (instead of Hold).

Fragment of Rularuu - (Soldiers of Rularuu)  I freaking love Rularuu, and a Rularuu-themed Mastermind would be absolutely fantastic.  2 Natterlings and a Brute for the Minions, Overseer Lieutenants, and a Wisp Overlord Boss.  The Brute Minion would be the buffer of the group with Crystal of Vigor (PBAoE Dam Buff) and Crystal of Resilience (PBAoE Heal) from the upgrade powers.  I think I'd go with Thorn-based attacks like Thorny Darts, Impale, and Fling Thorns.  Alternatively, you could go with Psychic attacks, but the Thorn attacks seem more unique and fitting, IMO.  For the special ability, I might try and integrate the Monument abilities into mutually exclusive Stances that grant passive buffs to your pets, such as Fury (+Dam), Hatred (+Recovery), Malice (+Acc), Torment (+Regen).

Huntmaster / Shadowlord - (Spirit Stalkers)   A sort of Negative version of Beast Summoner with Shadow Hounds, Spirit Panthers, and Wodan.  The attacks could even mimic the Huntmaster, using Blazing Arrow, Crystal Arrow, and a cone version of Shadow Arrow.  This would also give Masterminds a second bow-set, and a Negative set that's different enough from Necromancy while also being different enough from Beast Summoning.

Gargoyles - (Wailers)  A Sonic-themed Mastermind with Wailers, Wailer Queens, and a Wailer King, using Shriek, Scream, and Howl for their attacks.  The -Resistance of this set would be fairly solid, allowing these pets to do a moderate amount of damage, but the real benefit would be when teaming with others.

Winter Lord - (Winter Horde)  I've always been a fan of cold-themed sets so something like a Winter Lord would be awesome in my book.  Using Frostlings, Blights, and a Snow Beast alongside Ice Bolt, Freeze Ray, and Frost Breath.  Other alternate mobs could be reskinned Fire Imps, Cloud of Ice (Animus Arcana), Hellfrost (Circle of Thorns), Nerva Spectral (Circle of Thorns), Blade Prince (Circle of Thorns).  Personally, I'd try and steer away from the CoT mobs, except maybe the Hellfrost since it doesn't look too demony, otherwise you're just making a Cold Demon Summoning set.  This set would have a good amount of -Recharge, which would add to the overall survivability of the set.

A few others I looked at were Corolax, DUST/TEST, Ghouls, Longbow, Nemesis (Jaeger MM would be pretty neat), Resistance, Rogue Robots.  Also, you could probably do 3 different IDF themed MMs (Trooper, Ranger, Commander, Orbs; BCU, ACU, Vicky; Seeker, Diviner, Augur).  Alternatively, I could see IDF being the basis of some Praetorian-themed EATs.  Ghouls could be interesting, especially if Death and Glory is kept intact.

I think my favorite from this would be the Gargoyles or the Magician. Lots of really cool costume/secondary choices with these two.

I would throw a big vote in for snakes.  They are a blast to fight and would make a great MM set.  Don't have to do much to them beyond the base low level versions and the upgraded high level versions.  I would add a python/anaconda hold power.

• Like 1

Realistically we wouldn't be able to get Carnies or BP as they are too tightly controlled by mind control or magic.

The snakes could work. I don't remember if they were controlled by Stheno, but since we killed Stheno who I think stayed dead (I seem to remember talk of Stheno being an Incarnate) it might work.

If "Models" includes power customization, then using the "Mirror" setting from Illusion would get my vote, so you could summon 6 increasingly more powerful versions of yourself.

Full remake

You get your three basic attacks (themed by origin choice). They would be OP within the bounds of MM damage multiplier (no blasterminds, sry) but mostly unadorned outside burst/KD(stun)/AOE.

If/when you take a pet, you make a permanent selection from a large pool. They get a decent bonus from matching your origin(tech, magic, etc).

Each tier of pet alters the same tier MM attack to be weaker, but synergetic (like now). MAYBE even only when summoned, so you can fight when your pets fall, but have to summon for special attack effects.

Each pet gives a large, tier appropriate, bonus to others of it's same type (CoL t1 to CoL t2/3). They give a medium bonus to similar types (Bots t1 to Clockwork t2/3). They give a small bonus to same origin but different style/type (Street Thug t1 to Army Soldier t2/3).

The utility (gang war, repairbot, etc) would be a much smaller pool(3-4 options) based on origin.

It lets you mix and match, has a bonus for sticking to a theme (instead of most OP from each category), let's you forgo a pet tier to have a strong direct attack (2-pet MMs, I see you). Has several balance vectors if certain builds got out of control, instead of nerfing one pet into oblivion because it is broken on one specific combo.

So there is my mechanicaly unfeasible wacky idea. Always fun to brainstorm ideas.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:34 AM, Meknomancer said:

I'm after something much simpler, Crey Vigilants as a cossie alternative for mercs.

I always wanted Malta as a replacement for Mercs.  But Crey would be a fun alt power set as well.

Devouring Earth. I think they would be fun and unique. Dropping Cairn, Fungi, Quartz etc to buff themselves. When Boulder/Crystal pets are defeated, 3 mini versions of themselves appear as additional pets. Maybe the T7 power could summon a Mitochondria. Make it sort of like Swap Ammo, where we pick which Mito appears. Yellow needs to be destroyed by melee, blue with ranged damage and green needs to be held/mez first. Or maybe the T7 makes a Spawn Chamber that spits our more DE. Or maybe the T7 can give MMs their first damage aura, a Swarm that circles around the player that does low damage and applies various debuffs/mez.

I would also like to see Shivans and Snakes primaries but I haven't really thought about how viable they could be. I rememeber when CoV came out and first bumping into Snakes in Mercy. Also destroying that snake's nest mission. So much fun! And Shivans look fantastic, love their design. They would be a hit if we could change their color in the costume creator.

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

Clockwork robots would be awesome!  And I don't mean the crash test dummies from Praetoria.

My first ever Lore pets were clockwork.  Imagine my disgust finding out I had wasted all that raw material for crash test dummies.

• Like 1

I would love to be able to get D.U.S.T. solders as alternatives for mercenaries, and perhaps some Tsoo for ninja.  If we're strictly talking about new sets, I'd love to see some sort of "horror/Cthulu" set using a combination of enemy models, like Drudges, Shadow Hounds, Hydra/Lusca tentacles, Rularuu enemies, etc...