The pet recipe drop rate is what again?

10%?

Really. Since it went live I have logged in characters to fight Adamaster.

One character has 18 M.A.

One character has 20 M.A.

One slacker has only 3.

All from fighting Adamaster.

No recipes.

Right now I am just seeing how many I can collect without a drop.

At the risk of coming across like a jerk, I think that's precisely what the MAs are for - to get the recipes, in case the RNG disappoints. 

I got one recipe that may have dropped because I was using a windfall, one of the temp powers that comes from the hero packs. Supposedly increases the odds of very rares..no idea by what margin, but I wanted more shards, so why not. Seemed to work. Just anecdotal, nothing scientific. But if you have them, may as well use them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The patch notes for Page 7 state a 10% drop rate, tied to the same table as reward merits.  The Monstrous Aether is meant to counteract streaks of bad luck, but I'm curious if the drop rates are actually correct.  I'm no stranger to stretches of bad luck but a lot of people have reported very long periods of monster stomping with no recipie drops.  I'm wondering at this point if someone misplaced a decimal.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Unpopular perhaps to say but the most reliable and efficient way to get the pets is to purchase them from the market. as the effort to grab the influence through other means is going to be more time efficient.

• Like 1

It might BE 10%

But that's still a 90% chance of no.

I've had 2 or 3 recipe drops from a variety of of GM's, but you really can't count on it. Ultimately the marketplace will become saturated with enough of them that if you keep rolling random ones and you're not getting the ones you want, you should just be able to sell them off to acquire the ones you ARE after.

• Like 1

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

4 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

Even at 10% I think I should have gotten one by now.

again, what if the 10% drop is per monster, not per person attacking?  then you gotta split that 10% by everyone attacking...

• Like 1

Keep in mind that it's a "chase" item with a pity system attached (the MAs). Even if you don't get a direct drop, you can still collect enough pity items to get them over a long period of time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Snarky said:

again, what if the 10% drop is per monster, not per person attacking?  then you gotta split that 10% by everyone attacking...

The notes for Page 7 specifically say that the chance for drop is rolled individually per character who received credit and is tied to the same drop table as the Reward Merits.  If I'm reading that right, everyone eligible should be getting a 10% chance each.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

The notes for Page 7 specifically say that the chance for drop is rolled individually per character who received credit and is tied to the same drop table as the Reward Merits.  If I'm reading that right, everyone eligible should be getting a 10% chance each.

then i am with everyone else.... it is advertised as golden....but i think it's maybe a dufferent mineral....

image.png.6456031fc9a0cda531ce68dbbaa3a125.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

Even at 10% I think I should have gotten one by now.

Random is random. It's not given a streakbreaker. You're not *guaranteed* one after ten kills or whatever. Each 10% chance is independent of any other chance you may have had. Just like every other recipe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

57 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Random is random. It's not given a streakbreaker. You're not *guaranteed* one after ten kills or whatever. Each 10% chance is independent of any other chance you may have had. Just like every other recipe.

Yes and I am also very familiar with how screwed up the RNG is in this game.

I do not madly GM hunt but i have killed a LOT of them since the patch drop. 1 recipe.  Without exact number ( cause i have not counted) i would guess this is closer to 1%.  
image.gif.55c9df2054ad325a1ef20acf99274075.gif

• Game Master

I've killed a lot of GM's, especially before they patched out Scrapyard. Not one recipe drop. I also haven't had a single purple recipe drop in weeks either. Same base chance (I think). The RNG hates us all.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I also haven't had a single purple recipe drop in weeks either.

Well you know what to do then - bump the number of purple drops, duh!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

23 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I've killed a lot of GM's, especially before they patched out Scrapyard. Not one recipe drop. I also haven't had a single purple recipe drop in weeks either. Same base chance (I think). The RNG hates us all.

Or....

On 3/13/2024 at 5:08 PM, Marshal_General said:

Yes and I am also very familiar with how screwed up the RNG is in this game.

The RNG is a pseudo-random number generator that fills the space between 0.0 and 1.0 "flatly", so I can totally believe that if 8 players are on a reward roll for a mini-pet recipe, the chance for seven of them to get a 10% roll are less than 10%.

BTW, does anyone know if either 0.0 or 1.0 are allowed values per the CoX RNG? I am more likely to believe that only one of these boundaries is an actual allowed value, but I'd like to definitively know for future precision.

Spoiler

It makes little practical difference, but I have an intellectual curiosity about what boundaries would have been chosen, and if there is something like a scale-invariant prior used to guarantee the "flatness" of the RNG values. Without putting too much thought into this: If a scale-invariant prior is chosen, it makes less sense to allow 0.000 because the null value is meaningless for a scale-invariant prior.

• 2 weeks later
On 3/13/2024 at 12:03 PM, ZorkNemesis said:

If it's tied to the drop table as reward merits, didn't they change Adamastor so that it only gives merits like once every 18 hours or something? Just so you can't summon him every hour on the hour and get merits anymore? Which would mean you'd only have a chance at the recipe every 18 hours, too. 

2 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

I am currently sitting at 73 kills on Adamaster with no recipe.

So what is the math to have 73 chances at a 10% rate to get a 0% result?

90% chance of not getting it, so 90%^73 is about 0.05%

I suspect that the chance is a bit lower.  Maybe 10% of 10% which would give you an 8% chance of a drop after 73 tries.

And I assume 73 tries with different characters, since there hasn't been 73*18 hours since the patch.  ~42

Edited by lemming
addendum

34 minutes ago, lemming said:

90% chance of not getting it, so 90%^73 is about 0.05%

I suspect that the chance is a bit lower.  Maybe 10% of 10% which would give you an 8% chance of a drop after 73 tries.

And I assume 73 tries with different characters, since there hasn't been 73*18 hours since the patch.  ~42

Yes, One character has 31 and then I think the next is 28, then 10 and 4 for the last, though one if them gained another 'no show' since I posted.

4 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Yes, One character has 31 and then I think the next is 28, then 10 and 4 for the last, though one if them gained another 'no show' since I posted.

According to probability chance, 31 attempts at a 10% chance would be about a 96%. So a 4% of it not happening. Rare, but possible.

28 attempts would be about a 94% chance, so 6% of it not happening.

10 attempts would be a 65% chance, so 35% of it not happening.

And 4 would be a 34% chance, or 66% of it not happening.

So while it's pretty slim odds of all of those (particularly the 31 and 28) not hitting, it's not unheard of. Not one in a million by any stretch. About one in twenty. Since I figure each character would have to calculate the odds individually, rather than all total. 

Edited by WumpusRat