The Acolyte

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 6:50 PM, biostem said:

My concern is this general trend to try and villainize the light side and humanize dark side users.  I mean, the dark side literally deteriorates your body and is driven by rage, hatred, and anger.  The Jedi order definitely isn't all lily-white, (especially with them basically abducting children), but they're still generally "good".  I'd rather see unaffiliated force users expanded upon and explored more.  With all the millions of planets and trillions of sentient beings in the Star Wars universe, let's see how other cultures fostered and utilized force users...

*replied to topic already* 😛

Edited by BrandX

I loved both episodes that are up. Can’t wait for the rest. I like it better than mando maybe. Some of the best parts of mando are cameos from other characters.  This is all new which I like. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kelika2 said:

So its not the old republic?

Pretty much anything from when before Disney acquired Star Wars was reclassified as "Legends", with, as @Mr. Vee mentioned, "The Old Republic" essentially being replaced/supplanted by "The High Republic"...

It's not replaced, they've made plenty of canon references to legends old republic things. they just filled in some of that huge gap between old republic and prequel eras with another era. sadly, they continue to ignore the g-funk era

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

sadly, they continue to ignore the g-funk era

Only real ones remember.✌

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Microphone 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

16 hours ago, biostem said:

Pretty much anything from when before Disney acquired Star Wars was reclassified as "Legends", with, as @Mr. Vee mentioned, "The Old Republic" essentially being replaced/supplanted by "The High Republic"...

The Old Republic is with Sith running around in abundance.

The High Republic is with Sith thought wiped out.

Different eras have the Jedi acting different ways.  

I typically watch any new Star Wars thing and then judge it on its own merits.  I've enjoyed most of the Disney series (with the exception of Obi-Wan) a great deal.  The Mandalorian and Ashoka hit all the right notes for me.  Book of Boba Fett was too "flashbacky" for my liking, but once we got to the meat of the story, I really loved it.  Maybe the Acolyte will be great.  Maybe it will be another Obi-Wan.  I'll reserve my opinion until I've watched it in its entirety.

One thing I won't do, is form my opinion based upon the legion of youtube videos posted by whining man-children who have already passed judgement on it because the show producers or lead characters are women and/or brown people.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

I typically watch any new Star Wars thing and then judge it on its own merits.  I've enjoyed most of the Disney series (with the exception of Obi-Wan) a great deal.  The Mandalorian and Ashoka hit all the right notes for me.  Book of Boba Fett was too "flashbacky" for my liking, but once we got to the meat of the story, I really loved it.  Maybe the Acolyte will be great.  Maybe it will be another Obi-Wan.  I'll reserve my opinion until I've watched it in its entirety.

One thing I won't do, is form my opinion based upon the legion of youtube videos posted by whining man-children who have already passed judgement on it because the show producers or lead characters are women and/or brown people.

You should always watch what you enjoy, regardless of the opinion of others.

As for the man-children.  I think you may be missing the point of what actually made them mad.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

You should always watch what you enjoy, regardless of the opinion of others.

As for the man-children.  I think you may be missing the point of what actually made them mad.

No.  I got it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I loved obi wan and hated and barely finished Asoka. Think they pout enough stuff out that everyone likes at least some of it. Star Wars fans, which I am, are the worst though. Never please them. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thraxen said:

Star Wars fans, which I am, are the worst though. Never please them. 

I think that can be said of most fans.

Whether it be Star Wars, Star Trek, LoTR, MCU, etc.

They invest so much into following, watching and reading that it almost becomes an obsession.  
They no longer just sit back and enjoy the journey like they once did.  Instead they’ve become so fully invested that they begin setting expectations.  They convince themselves that what they envision as the next step in the story, is so obvious, and will be the greatest thing ever seen, that it’s just plain impossible to go any other route.

Then when those unattainable expectations are not met, the only possible explanation is that the person who created it knows nothing and has ruined the one thing in this world they love more than anything else.

I don’t disparage or make fun of them.  A lot of people go through life without that type of passion about anything….and I was the same way about the MCU

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

My only expectation for Star Wars, was for the sequels to follow Heir to the Empire...at the very least give us Luke, Leia and Han as they were in the books.

I knew they weren't going to give us the next chapter as they were obviously to afraid to recast Luke, Leia and Han for the sequels.  

I didn't expect them to kill them all off and ruin their characters tho.

• Thanks 2

So... I finally got around to watching the first 3 episodes this evening.  It's not my favorite of the different Star Wars TV series, but I definitely have enjoyed what I've seen so far.  I'll withhold my full opinion until I've viewed all 8 episodes of Season 1 but, so far, so good.  I definitely did not see anything that I hated and I still really don't get what all the hate is about.

Maybe I'll have a different opinion by the end of it, but so far, I'm cautiously optimistic.  If I had one complaint, it's that they haven't really done anything with the Wookie Jedi character.  It's just sort of hanging around in the background, like a big, furry set decoration.  Also, the music doesn't really knock my socks off, if I'm to be honest.  The themes are dark and moody, though, so I guess it does fit the story, at least.

• Like 1

Ep3:

Spoiler

Backstory episode, and mostly Osha's PoV. Still has that very breathy, drawn-out dialogue style that rankles a bit, but fills in on some of what we've been missing. Also explains why it was a two-ep initial drop rather than one or three: back to back, the first two episodes kick off the story nicely, and this is a much slower one.

It's not entirely hard to figure out what happens going forward from here. Yes, Mae started the fire, but that fire was lit under an explosive situation between the Jedi and mum's interpretative goth dance troupe coven.

Suspicions rise, accusations fly, and... stuff goes down. Exactly how all four Jedi got out when vastly outnumbered, or it wound up with witches' power core getting blown apart, we'll find out later, when we Rashomon from either Mae or Sol's PoV, or both. And we still don't know how Mae winds up becoming a fully trained Sith acolyte.

Hopefully we're back into proper action next time and we get our first glimpse of The Master, as our young Sith tries to take down a Wookiee barehanded. Which may or may not be a smart move.

EDIT...  I have the oddest feeling, given the overwhelming odds she's facing going after Kelnacca, that Mae is a got being tethered for a T-Rex.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:10 PM, Thraxen said:

I loved obi wan and hated and barely finished Asoka. Think they pout enough stuff out that everyone likes at least some of it. Star Wars fans, which I am, are the worst though. Never please them. 

I don't watch a lot of the new stuff, but I figure it's cool that they want to make it.

The only thing that bothered me really was Lucus claiming he had planned all this stuff from the beginning. 

Which any reading of the early scripts for A New Hope and Empire clearly show to be BS. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Haijinx said:

I don't watch a lot of the new stuff, but I figure it's cool that they want to make it.

The only thing that bothered me really was Lucus claiming he had planned all this stuff from the beginning. 

Which any reading of the early scripts for A New Hope and Empire clearly show to be BS. 

I agree

He may have had an overall idea - but it’s very obvious just from watching 4-5-6 that he was coming up with ideas as each new one was made.

Luke/Leia going from love interests to siblings is an easy standout.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

I agree

He may have had an overall idea - but it’s very obvious just from watching 4-5-6 that he was coming up with ideas as each new one was made.

Luke/Leia going from love interests to siblings is an easy standout.

Yup.  I recall him saying one thing then contradicting it another time in matters of what is and what isn't.

The only thing that really seems to stick for his period of the films is...if it's in the films, it's law over anything else.  😛

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

AcolyteBro.jpg

Gaslighting at it's finest.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper