What's wrong with this picture?

This came up on my bluesky feed today and hit me like a brick.

Apparently it's from the 750th Hardcover edition

image.thumb.png.b8e05a92c9cae59264a39f189cfbdc25.png

I am out of the loop with comics these days and this post isn't a critique of WW, or the art...

but it still caused a pang and I wanted to share

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I am out of the loop with comics these days and this post isn't a critique of WW, or the art...

I'm gonna critique the art.  The hair bugs me.  It's over rendered and not obeying the lighting that's on the rest of Diana.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZamuelNow said:

I'm gonna critique the art.  The hair bugs me.  It's over rendered and not obeying the lighting that's on the rest of Diana.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it seems like it was part of another picture and copy-pasted onto that one. It just looks so different to the rest of the art. 

I wanted to comment on the image as a whole not on actual technical aspects of the art. It could be little more than a stick Wonder Woman. What struck me is how it referenced our own world.

I appreciate that our City has millennia of lore to build upon. Atlas himself is barely novel, but as an image it resonated with me because of our great city and despite the fact that the sky did fall in on it once, some nameless heroes brought it back.

It just got me nostalgic for a thing that exists.

• Like 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 hour ago, WumpusRat said:

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it seems like it was part of another picture and copy-pasted onto that one. It just looks so different to the rest of the art. 

Liefeld's working for DC again?

OH SHIT, YOU CAN'T SEE HER FEET!  IT'S TRUE!

• Haha 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

43 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I wanted to comment on the image as a whole not on actual technical aspects of the art. It could be little more than a stick Wonder Woman. What struck me is how it referenced our own world.

I appreciate that our City has millennia of lore to build upon. Atlas himself is barely novel, but as an image it resonated with me because of our great city and despite the fact that the sky did fall in on it once, some nameless heroes brought it back.

It just got me nostalgic for a thing that exists.

Oh, that's more than fair.  It's just that the thread name forced me to look at "what's wrong" and now I can't not look at that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why is she holding the Unisphere and why is she giant sized?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisphere

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

18 hours ago, Luminara said:

Liefeld's working for DC again?

OH SHIT, YOU CAN'T SEE HER FEET!  IT'S TRUE!

Not so fast.....we need to see the 800 belt pouches around the arms, legs, feet, and etc to be sure.

2 hours ago, Aracknight said:

Not so fast.....we need to see the 800 belt pouches around the arms, legs, feet, and etc to be sure.

She has plenty of belt pouches that are concealed by her hair in this pose.  There might also be some boot pouches, and maybe a choker of neck pouches.

I've seen this image as part of a story that there's accusations of using AI to generate art; no idea of that's true though.  This basically reminds me Tod McFarland (sp?) drawing Spiderman's webbing, it's more exciting because it's more detailed!  Meanwhile in the real world: girl, you need to buy a brush.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Again, it's art and we can interpret it depending on our own perspective but I still wonder if this isn't at least in part a nod to Paragon, and perhaps even Homecoming, upholding our world for everyone to see...

If that is the case then good on DC got such an acknowledgement!

47 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Again, it's art and we can interpret it depending on our own perspective but I still wonder if this isn't at least in part a nod to Paragon, and perhaps even Homecoming, upholding our world for everyone to see...

If that is the case then good on DC got such an acknowledgement!

Unlikely. Atlas is a Titan of Greek mythology. There are far older (and more famous) statues of Atlas than the one in Paragon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_(statue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnese_Atlas

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

2 hours ago, Uun said:

Unlikely. Atlas is a Titan of Greek mythology. There are far older (and more famous) statues of Atlas than the one in Paragon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_(statue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnese_Atlas

There's also a DC MMO swimming in pretty well exactly the same waters that we live in.

Apples vs Eggs

Diana and Paragon both hang heavily on Greek mythos. It might simply be coincidence. It might even be callous oblivion. Or it might not.