Helldivers 2 - Are you doing your part?

Helldivers 2 has eaten up pretty much all of my free time since it launched last month. It's a third person, team shooter that has a difficultly slider that goes from "I love the scenery on this planet" all the way up to "Dear gawd, I just landed and I'm on fire!!!"

I just wanted to see if anyone else has been playing this game and, if so, what you think of it.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I played the first one ad infinitum, glad to see they've kept the spirt and tongue in cheekiness of that game in the sequel. The transition from top-down to third-person seems to have gone really well.

But not planning to pick this up. Too hard to find time for anything but little spurts of CoX to even consider. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:00 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Haven't played it, had a lot of friends recommend it. I was burned badly (let down is an understatement) by an unrelated game (Halo Infinite), so I haven't picked up any shooters in a while. 

How are you enjoying it?

I play exclusively with friends on Discord and we've been having great fun!

Sometimes we play on low difficulty and tear around blowing stuff up while drinking beers and making silly jokes on Discord. Other times we crank the difficulty up and really work hard to  get the objectives and get to the shuttle to escape retribution from the incoming enemy army.

And, unlike many games now days which are very grimdark dark dark darkity dark serious, HD2 is very positive and light-hearted. The music is very upbeat and positive, the NPC's are always saying things like "Now that you're here the war's as good as won." And the background story is essentially tongue-in-cheek Starship Troopers (the movie) with the propaganda and fascism cranked way up.

There's a reason that HD2 sold so many copies that for the first month the servers were constantly full and/or crashing.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Why do they have capes?  Wouldn't they interfere with drawing and aiming weapons, combust when they encounter flames and give away their locations like giant fucking spotlights that spell out, "THE GUYS YOU WANT TO SHOOT ARE RIGHT HERE!"?

😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

20 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Why do they have capes?

According to my unit's Democracy Officer: "Capes are a staple in liberation, managed democracy is heroic and requires capes to reinforce this."

Sargon of Akkad, ancient wise man and king of the Akkadian Empire, has an interesting take on Helldivers 2:

MALEVELON CREEK HAS BEEN LIBERATED!!!

The Creek is Ours.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I saw something funny on r/Cityofheroes today: