The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Matrix 5????? NOOOOO!

My understanding is that the Wachowski's didn't even want to do the fourth movie but had to in order to keep some sort of creative control over the series. I think their goal for it was to basically undo the heroic arc of the first film so that the studio wouldn't keep making more. Very disappointing that it didn't work out that way.

On principle: ergh.

But that said, if it's a new movie with new characters using the Matrix worldbook... maybe? 

Not least because the Wachowskis encouraged all kinds of different takes on the lore, with the manga tie-ins, short films, comics, a ballet (do you do bullet-time ballet with ballet-time bullets?), albums, books and games (of variable quality on that last one - The Matrix Online was pretty decent, and if it had lived as long as CoH would have got a lot more of the polish it needed: Enter The Matrix, not so much, even with the starry cast delivering pretty well.)

I honestly don't mind that much if people use stock characters and worlds we know, as long as they bring something new to the table. Do it well and you can give the whole thing a new lease of life, not just a new topcoat and New Rocks.

Very, very side note: I was a Matrixgoth growing up - well, as much as I've ever bothered growing up. Finally sold my Reactors - very Gene-Simmons-Casual footwear - late last year to a young and awestruck goth. I loved 'em, they gave me a good extra two to three inches, and regularly scared the hell out of airport security. Apart from one smöl-but-FIERCE TSA lady in St Louis who was a dead ringer for Marion Ramsey, who just looked at those things going past on the belt with starry eyes...

"You want to, don'tcha?"

"Oh hell yeah."

"Be my guest."

...so we strap her in, and she starts clumping around ordering people about, including her supervisor, who just squeaked "Yes, Mistress."

Neither of them are gonna forget that in a hurry. 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

6 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

That's funny.  How can there be a fifth The Matrix film when there's only ever been one? :classic_wink:

This is the way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

The Matrix game i liked was Matrix the Path of Neo

One of the Wachowski's is attached as exec producer for Matrix 5 but that is the extent of their involvement.   

Perhaps a live action or animated TV series would be better then another movie?

Matrix 4 was awful, all it did was give the fairy tale ending that Neo and trinity were denied

25 alts with all the badges!

Matrix 1 = Love

Matrix 2 = I like it

Matrix 3 = Enjoyed the fight scenes a lot

Matrix 4 = Ummm...gah...was I just bored through it or was it a hot mess

Matrix 5 = Worried as current trend is it gets worse with each new movie

Matrix Anthology = Some good some bad

... huh. Well, Drew Goddard has a solid enough track record as a writer/director IMO, and with the advent of AI siphoning off actual human creativity in media and the AI-techbros fawning over the machine consuming the artist, there's definitely some 'real life writes the plot' potential here. Whether or not a film that actually says something vs a nostalgia cash-in will get made remains to be seen. I just hope they don't make the mistake the Star Wars sequels did and tie too much back to the original cast. A Matrix story that moves past the original cast or just has them as the backdrop for the story would work so much better than either rehashing what we've already seen yet again or twisting what ought to be their narrative legacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

that last one stunk something awful.  

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

Um... so I'm just finding out that they made a fourth one...

No they didn't, it did not happen.   However Matrix 4 at least made it to theaters, Highlander 5: the Source did not.   If you must choose to watch one of these disasters, Matrix 4 would be the better choice

25 alts with all the badges!

14 minutes ago, Voltor said:

No they didn't, it did not happen.   However Matrix 4 at least made it to theaters, Highlander 5: the Source did not.   If you must choose to watch one of these disasters, Matrix 4 would be the better choice

I watch less than three movies a year. In 2024 the number is zero. I don't think I have seen a Highlander movie in the 21st century.

IMO, "The Matrix" would better be utilized as a setting, instead of solely following Neo's journey;  I have to imagine, at least if  "The Animatrix" is anything to go by, that there were other people who independently broke free of it and were able to, (at least partially), see it for what it really was...

• 5 weeks later
On 4/5/2024 at 11:22 AM, BrandX said:

Matrix 1 = Love

Matrix 2 = I like it

Matrix 3 = Enjoyed the fight scenes a lot

Matrix 4 = Ummm...gah...was I just bored through it or was it a hot mess

Matrix 5 = Worried as current trend is it gets worse with each new movie

Matrix Anthology = Some good some bad

Matrix 1

End

• 1 month later
On 4/5/2024 at 8:48 PM, Voltor said:

Highlander 5? There can be only one!