My screen

Posted (edited)

screenshot_240514-01-06-05.thumb.jpg.193728376e2bfce10d30cf3dc7ffbc68.jpg

Here is how I run my screen. it slightly varies from toon to toon, but keeps the same basic layout.  I run a bind to expand and shrink the map as needed, this allows me to keep a mini-map onscreen at all times and I can zoom in and back out with a single keypress

running 2560x1440 on 32" monitor.  window scale 90% - UI scale 125%.  I moved up from a 27"@1080p with the scales all set default. For the new monitor, I adjusted these numbers to keep the individual icons, etc the same size as on the 27" monitor, but now with more real estate.  Needed to bump up ui scale due to having both old man vision, and cataracts starting to get worse.

Edited by Mr. Apocalypse
added monitor information
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

after reading this thread I feel like I'm doing something wrong cause I actively try to get rid of as much UI as possible.......

I run on a laptop, but I plug a second monitor in above via HDMI sometimes. On that second monitor I run OBS for streaming. But, I've always wondered if I could have the game spill over both monitors and move some of the lesser used windows up - thinking specifically of the map, target, nav, and maybe the level/health/end window. I don't reference those much but still want quick access to them.

• Like 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

On 5/10/2024 at 7:22 AM, GM Crumpet said:

I've tried having the bar with my health lower down but my screen is so big I still don't see it. For some reason my eyes tend to go right so having things I need to see on the right seems natural. As with all things, do what you feel comfortable with and what works for you. nobody else is going to jump on and complain 🙂 

I used to put the health bar right across the alt's backside, so it was within view. I now put it bottom center, make it large enough to be able to glance at, and put my primary power bar above it, also a bit large so I can monitor recycle times. That's worked well for the last year or so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

GunnerSS20240514.thumb.jpg.6ded1c71e63598b32a680fa8271fe6db.jpg

Sorry, kinda tiny. Full size on request. The two tiny trays at right center are Event stuff, temporary.

(And caught me in the shower, sorry about that.)

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

• Game Master
On 5/15/2024 at 1:33 AM, Shenanigunner said:

GunnerSS20240514.thumb.jpg.6ded1c71e63598b32a680fa8271fe6db.jpg

Sorry, kinda tiny. Full size on request. The two tiny trays at right center are Event stuff, temporary.

(And caught me in the shower, sorry about that.)

That's a heck of a screen. Do you need to take an uber to get from one side to the other?

• Haha 5

• Game Master
On 5/14/2024 at 8:18 PM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

after reading this thread I feel like I'm doing something wrong cause I actively try to get rid of as much UI as possible.......

I'm the same. As little stuff on screen as I can get away with. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrAxe said:

What is that funky looking icon in tray 9, bottom row middle?

That is a very interesting macro image - and honestly, I have no memory of who or where I got it from. 
But, I use it as my base macro icon image. 
image "Badge_OGTH2

So, in context of the base passcode macro it looks like this: /macro_image "Badge_OGTH2" "Teleport: Indoor Rowing Club" enterbasefrompasscode ROW2000K-233

And...feel free to look at the most boring base in the world - function over fashion, for sure. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

That's a heck of a screen. Do you need to take an uber to get from one side to the other?

49 inch ultrawide, 5k. The display is stretch-wrapped a bit; I don't know what the effective viewing angle is. I should measure it.

It absolutely, positively needs well-optimized mouse acceleration, both in CoX and in work setup. But after managing 3-4 monitors for years, rarely well-matched ones, it's the greatest work comfort/productivity boost since my first EVGA screen, decades ago. 🙂

I am just insanely pleased that City's aging engine supports it so well.

ETA: It's surprising hard to measure the view angle, but at first-person zoom it's about 70 degrees, and at 100 feet back, it's a little over 100. The center two-thirds of the screen is largely undistorted, and then the edges stretch nonlinearly to fill the space. It's quite immersive and the distortion as you turn is... ignorable.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

Love seeing how everyone sets up their screens.

Mine.....

I just can't... do that many buttons. 🙂

• Haha 2

On 5/14/2024 at 3:18 PM, Saiyajinzoningen said:

A friend of mine plays with the view scrolled all the way in so it is first person.

To me, being zoomed all the way in is way too much tunnel vision.

I scroll mine out so that I can see the character down to their feet above the stuff that I have stacked at the bottom of the screen and sometimes a little further out than that.

To me, having it scrolled back that far is like having some peripheral vision.

We are all playing to have fun, so whatever makes it fun for you is good-to-go as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure that there are others in the forum that will disagree.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

As noted in prior discussions, I find first person view disorienting the way some find the camera shake upsetting. It's not quite concentric/in sync with the pivoting of the view, so there's a sort of a trapeze-swing or trombone-shot effect every time you turn, and it really claws at my eyes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Screenshot(1077).thumb.png.8f40a4b42b3eb02af89bd97be69dce4a.png

My cramped (monitor circa 2008) screen...  I'd love a bigger one but there's physically not room for a bigger one.  (Maybe a couple of inches left and right, but I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the money.)

I picked one of my MMs to show where my pet using classes put their windows.  The trays on the right vary a little bit in detail, but they all follow the same common philosophy.  Quick access powers always displayed, room to pop up the alt tray with stuff I don't need so often.  (Such as the long range teleporter, Reveal, various other temp powers.)  In this case her summons and upgrades are also in the alt tray.  The powers in the trays are sorted by function.  Toggles in one continuous row, buffs adjacent to each other, etc...

The exact details of how the various trays and the powers in them are arranged vary by character, and no two are quite alike.

Edited by Doc_Scorpion
  • Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Screenshot(1078).thumb.png.051f4d39a5ca789013eaa302c4995d25.png

Dang file size limits...

For example, here's one of my blasters.  Notice how the ST and cone attacks are grouped together, as are AOEs and melee attacks.  On all blasters, the powers available because of Defiance are always the first ones in the lower left corner.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Here's my screen:

Ready Player One: A Futuristic Blockbuster With One Eye Firmly Fixed on the  Past | Film Obsessive

• Haha 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

Playing in a window of resolution 3,200 x 1,800 approx.

Trays 1-2-3 all the direct action stuff.

Tray 4 random, Tray 5 Rez, Mystic, Reveal + stuff for Tray 6

Tray 6 Inspiration combination macros and execution supported by pop-menus that modify target

Tray 7 Toggles

Tray 8+9 Travel

Screenshot_20240517_111116.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

screenshot_240517-19-44-17_3.thumb.jpg.d8912987100de28b3e20eda369c770cb.jpg

Tray 4: Mostly self buff and utility

Tray 5: Teleports

Tray 6: Mostly Def, Res and Confuse (to stack with what I already have)

Tray 7: Accolades, other buffs and debuffs

Tray 8: Pets

Tray 9: Random stuff

No I do not get confused.

Edited by MrAxe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

Love seeing how everyone sets up their screens.

Mine.....

image.thumb.jpeg.25d1f5ed126f4f85411b80e1ccf02a5a.jpeg

Out of curiosity, you don't have an issue with the controls covering the lower 1/3 of your character?  I tried that once, personally found it highly annoying and visually distracting, and switched to the current method I posted back on page 1. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

Out of curiosity, you don't have an issue with the controls covering the lower 1/3 of your character?  I tried that once, personally found it highly annoying and visually distracting, and switched to the current method I posted back on page 1. 

No, I do not.  I zoom in and out depending on where I am.  Most of the time, I can see all of my character; and yes, there are times when I see only the top part of them - like in caves.  But, it makes no difference to me.  Probably because I'm used to 1st-person shooters where you see nothing or very little of the character.  So, I can deal with it in any view.  Sometimes, I even rotate the camera around while I'm fighting so I can see other mobs around a corner - it all depends on the situation/scenario I am in. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

Probably because I'm used to 1st-person shooters where you see nothing or very little of the character.  So, I can deal with it in any view.

Ah, there's a difference then between us.  I'm one of those poor, cursed souls who is made very nauseous by 1st-person game action.  It makes my quarterly Halo game nights with friends a real trial. I'm glad you're able to work with that setup though.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

Ah, there's a difference then between us.  I'm one of those poor, cursed souls who is made very nauseous by 1st-person game action.  It makes my quarterly Halo game nights with friends a real trial. I'm glad you're able to work with that setup though.  Different strokes for different folks.

Sorry it makes you nauseous being in first-person.  But that's okay.  To each their own.  That's part of the brilliance of this game is that it is so adaptable for many player's needs.  And that is why I am fascinated by how others set up their trays too.  

I'm old, so I grew up on 1st person shooters as they came out in the 80s and 90s.  All the original ones:  Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Half-Life... and many others.  Even going back further with Atari's Battlezone.  There were many Star Wars FPS games too.  But even doing flight simulators were First Person games - Red Baron was my favorite.  So, i got used to that view / playstyle right off the bat.  And that is also probably why I'm used to seeing my controls / buttons down at the bottom of the screen as that is how most of the games were set up back then.

But eventually, they made more of the character on the screen and you could switch in and out from 1st person to showing the character - no zoom, just one or the other.  Typically, you'd switch to first-person for sniping, and then switch back out to half-body view for general combat.  It wasn't until later that they put the whole character on the screen - Tomb Raider being one of the first - such a brilliant and ground-breaking game.  

Make no mistake, I do play COH with my character completely visible most of the time.  But I also have no problem zooming in tighter as needed or having my feet / legs covered by my trays - I know my Hot Feet are working!  😄  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

I'm old

Probably redundant to add here. Pretty sure the player base skews to over-40, and a big curve after that. 🙂

I started playing computer games before they had views.

...so I grew up on 1st person shooters as they came out in the 80s and 90s.  All the original ones:  Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Half-Life... and many others.

So did I, and I still play FPS games (Borderlands, etc.) with no problem, But again — there's something wrong with CoX's first-person view that is like a monkey turning my head for me, not quite in sync with the on-screen motion. Just can't tolerate it.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1