Incarnate Shards

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question. How am I able to make use of Incarnate Shards? I have a bunch on my main character, but I don't see how I can use them to make components like I can with Incarnate Threads. Is there a way I could be able to convert them to Incarnate Threads or straight-up components? I seem to be at a loss on how best to make use of them.

Incarnate shards was/is another method for create incarnate components and thus incarnate powers.  It's confusing to use and most players use incarnate threads. You could use incarnate shards to create Alpha components if you really want to.  Personally I ignore them and just convert the threads.

I believe you get 5 thread per 10 shards?  I wouldn't spend inf on converting.

Here is a link to the wiki.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Incarnate_Shard_Component

While I generally will use the regular threads to build my first Alpha ability on a character up to T3 for the all-important level shift, I will frequently save up shards to use for building it up to T4. Threads have 5 other slots needing them, so until I have enough threads/salvage for those, I don't like using them for Alpha. Plus, it is always a pain to get actual VR salvage rolls, so if I can use shards and Notice of the Well from weeklies to make a Favor of the Well, that can save on the frustration. (Of course, if you're not a hoarder like me and want to just use Empyrean Merits for stuff like that, feel free to ignore me.)

• Like 1

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

Shards need to go away, frankly. It "made sense" (from a "keep people paying to play this") perspective on live - one currency for Alpha, a different one for Lore/Destiny/Judgement/Interface, etc, but here, no.

As far as not seeing the recipe? Scroll down when looking at Alpha - and *only* Alpha - abilities, and you'll see things made with other components (Nictus fragment, Gr'ai matter, etc.) These are created with Shards. They'll be in your create tab.

If you're already slotted up on Alpha and have everything you want from there, just convert to threads. You can do a 10 for 10 once a day (with a 1 million inf fee, IIRC) or 10 shards for 5 threads the rest of the time - or just let them keep building up. I have characters with hundreds because I can't be bothered with the useless things.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, Greycat said:

Shards need to go away, frankly. It "made sense" (from a "keep people paying to play this") perspective on live - one currency for Alpha, a different one for Lore/Destiny/Judgement/Interface, etc, but here, no.

Shards were actually the bone thrown to solo players. On live, shards would drop from any level 50+ content; threads came only from iTrials. The shards allowed people to gain incarnate power without doing the iTrials that were the originally-designed path for Incarnate advancement. The drop rate on Shards was abysmal, and I have no idea what the developers intended for the higher-tier abilities, but I was among a cadre of others that fought long and hard to have shards added to the game. 

HC doesn't need them, though. Threads for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/11/2024 at 12:20 PM, Burk said:

While I generally will use the regular threads to build my first Alpha ability on a character up to T3 for the all-important level shift, I will frequently save up shards to use for building it up to T4. Threads have 5 other slots needing them, so until I have enough threads/salvage for those, I don't like using them for Alpha. Plus, it is always a pain to get actual VR salvage rolls, so if I can use shards and Notice of the Well from weeklies to make a Favor of the Well, that can save on the frustration.

To me, this is the best method. 
I hear so often about how threads drop so much more, etc..and while that's true, you need 25X as many threads as shards, so they should drop more. 
(That's 5 incarnate slots that need threads. You need 60 threads for the t-1 compared to only needing 12 shards for the t-1) 

But- as I've stated a number of times, if you're only doing iTrials, shards will never drop - so by all means, use threads. I use threads to get my t-3 as soon as I unlock alpha. Then I hoard the shards until I can get t-4. Just makes sense to me. 

• Game Master
17 minutes ago, Ukase said:

To me, this is the best method. 
I hear so often about how threads drop so much more, etc..and while that's true, you need 25X as many threads as shards, so they should drop more. 
(That's 5 incarnate slots that need threads. You need 60 threads for the t-1 compared to only needing 12 shards for the t-1) 

But- as I've stated a number of times, if you're only doing iTrials, shards will never drop - so by all means, use threads. I use threads to get my t-3 as soon as I unlock alpha. Then I hoard the shards until I can get t-4. Just makes sense to me. 

I personally rarely do the WST so get maybe 4 notice of the well a year. I will use the shards to make a tier or 2 when Im doing the second run of the alpha slot to tier 4, but most times I convert them to threads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GM Crumpet said:

I personally rarely do the WST so get maybe 4 notice of the well a year. I will use the shards to make a tier or 2 when Im doing the second run of the alpha slot to tier 4, but most times I convert them to threads.

I never do Task Forces due to health reasons. I have to AFK a lot. Anyway, so doing Incarnates with regular content. It should be common knowledge that by Vet Level 12, if you just do regular content like radio missions and tips, then you will most certainly have enough threads and Empyrean Merits to get all of your Incarnates to Tier 3. It's baked into the system, it will happen. Getting your Incarnates to Tier 4 takes quite a bit longer. I too like to use my Shards for the second pass at Alpha. That seems to be the only use for them aside from converting to threads later. If you do nothing but regular content, then getting all of your Incarnates to Tier 4 will happen somewhere around Vet Level 39-42ish. If you have Salvage, you will probably get it done sooner. The earliest I have fully Incarnated was Vet Level 30.

Since I like to solo, I do a lot of content in Dark Astoria. Though when I go there depends on the toon. Usually, after you get your level shifts. I waited until around Vet Level 19 on my latest Sheild/Battle Axe Tanker because I really wanted Tier 4 Ageless before I wanted a Lore Pet. 😄

With the Notice of the Well, when I have done TFs, I usually just convert it to threads. If you want to make a nice amount of threads while unlocking Incarnates, I recommend doing a bunch of Mother Ship Raids. There are so many buffs flying around, that you get a preview of what your toon can be like fully built out.

• Like 1

• Game Master
6 hours ago, Krimson said:

I never do Task Forces due to health reasons. I have to AFK a lot. Anyway, so doing Incarnates with regular content. It should be common knowledge that by Vet Level 12, if you just do regular content like radio missions and tips, then you will most certainly have enough threads and Empyrean Merits to get all of your Incarnates to Tier 3. It's baked into the system, it will happen. Getting your Incarnates to Tier 4 takes quite a bit longer. I too like to use my Shards for the second pass at Alpha. That seems to be the only use for them aside from converting to threads later. If you do nothing but regular content, then getting all of your Incarnates to Tier 4 will happen somewhere around Vet Level 39-42ish. If you have Salvage, you will probably get it done sooner. The earliest I have fully Incarnated was Vet Level 30.

Since I like to solo, I do a lot of content in Dark Astoria. Though when I go there depends on the toon. Usually, after you get your level shifts. I waited until around Vet Level 19 on my latest Sheild/Battle Axe Tanker because I really wanted Tier 4 Ageless before I wanted a Lore Pet. 😄

With the Notice of the Well, when I have done TFs, I usually just convert it to threads. If you want to make a nice amount of threads while unlocking Incarnates, I recommend doing a bunch of Mother Ship Raids. There are so many buffs flying around, that you get a preview of what your toon can be like fully built out.

I generally get to tier 4 on everything around vet 27, but I do like the incarnate content and am often quite lucky with the salvage drops.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

If you've done the Mortimer Kal SF, the Flames of Prometheus temp power converts to a Notice of the Well when you hit 50.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

• Game Master
3 hours ago, Uun said:

If you've done the Mortimer Kal SF, the Flames of Prometheus temp power converts to a Notice of the Well when you hit 50.

I don't do TF's/SF's

• Like 1

I didnt read the thread but if someone said Convert to Threads, disregard unless you have a T4 already.

If you scroll down on the right side of the incarnate window crafting you can see other recipes for your alpha, normally shards.

The power gap of T2>T3 alpha is huge.  the gap between T3>T4 is not as big.  I said this to let you know its ok to wait on making your T4 while you get 3 more notices of the well

The weekly Notice of the Well + some shards is a quick way to get to T3.  Use Threads for t1+2 alpha.

After that, just let your shards build up slowly and get in future WSTs to make another T3(1 notice) and your T4(2 more notices)

Its just strait plain every day bad math to convert shards and shard accessories into threads.  Unless you already have your T4.

And for the incoming anecdote about how the incarnate system is complicated:

If you can craft regular inventions you can use the incarnate system no problem.  or you are being melodramatic for memes sake.

• Like 3

The Shard I mostly play on these days is Indomitable.

Nice threads by the way. You put some work into that costume, I can tell

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:43 PM, Eiko-chan said:

Shards were actually the bone thrown to solo players. On live, shards would drop from any level 50+ content; threads came only from iTrials.

Aaargh. No. Shards were part of a teaser for the F2P players -- they could start the incarnate process, but would only ever be able to populate their Alpha slot. To ensure this, incarnate threads were locked to only drop for subscribers, while shards would drop for anyone with their Alpha slot unlocked. This is why the Alpha slot boosts have recipes made with shard-based requirements, and with thread-based requirements, but the higher level incarnate slots only have thread-based recipes.

The devs also used the shard-based components to hand out 'themed' rewards for some TFs, like getting a Hero-1 DNA Sample from the LGTF, or being able to buy a G'rai Matter with Vanguard merits. In addition to tweaking the thread drop rate to account for the shard drop rate and the fact that you need 5x the number of threads as shards to make components, none of the shard-based components have ready equivalents among the thread-based components -- if G'rai Matter is removed from the game along with the other shard-based components, what thread-based component would be thematically appropriate for you to be able to buy with Vanguard merits, or are you just going to remove one method of obtaining incarnate components without replacement?

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Aaargh. No. Shards were part of a teaser for the F2P players

Incorrect. Shards were introduced in Issue 20. Freedom was Issue 21

I was actually there, on the live server forums, fighting for access to the Incarnate system for solo players. I know what I'm talking about. I was one of the loudest voices back then.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, srmalloy said:

Aaargh. No. Shards were part of a teaser for the F2P players -- they could start the incarnate process, but would only ever be able to populate their Alpha slot. To ensure this, incarnate threads were locked to only drop for subscribers, while shards would drop for anyone with their Alpha slot unlocked. This is why the Alpha slot boosts have recipes made with shard-based requirements, and with thread-based requirements, but the higher level incarnate slots only have thread-based recipes.

The devs also used the shard-based components to hand out 'themed' rewards for some TFs, like getting a Hero-1 DNA Sample from the LGTF, or being able to buy a G'rai Matter with Vanguard merits. In addition to tweaking the thread drop rate to account for the shard drop rate and the fact that you need 5x the number of threads as shards to make components, none of the shard-based components have ready equivalents among the thread-based components -- if G'rai Matter is removed from the game along with the other shard-based components, what thread-based component would be thematically appropriate for you to be able to buy with Vanguard merits, or are you just going to remove one method of obtaining incarnate components without replacement?

F2P Players had no access to any part of Incarnate System. 

The Incarnate System is the name of the end game content, first unveiled in Issue 19: Alpha Strike.

The system features new content, abilities, and rewards for level 50 characters. As player characters work through the content, they will be given rewards to unlock special Incarnate slots and special salvage to craft boosts and powers that will increase the capabilities of Level 50 characters. In turn, these characters will need the added abilities in order to work through subsequent and more difficult content.

A VIP subscription is required for players to access the Incarnate System. Players that alternate between VIP and Premium status will be unable to access Incarnate content, Incarnate powers (including crafting), and Incarnate vendors while Premium.

On 5/11/2024 at 7:38 AM, Acroyear said:

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question. How am I able to make use of Incarnate Shards? I have a bunch on my main character, but I don't see how I can use them to make components like I can with Incarnate Threads. Is there a way I could be able to convert them to Incarnate Threads or straight-up components? I seem to be at a loss on how best to make use of them.

You can convert them to threads.  Meh.  Or you can save them up and use 30 to add to two notices of the well (for a weekly strike target) for a favor of the well.  Which nets more threads when busted down.  Either way end goal is threads.  

shards are an alternate currency from a much slower era of the game.  

• Thanks 1