The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

/energy. What's the best primary for it?

Fever Dream

My quest for the perfect blaster continues.  I'm very intrigued by /energy. It's unique with boost power and boost range. I also like the damage of the melee powers. 

I'm looking for a high damage,  survivable blaster that can blame.

Any recommendations?  I was hoping that the damage over time component of fire/ would be improved by power boost but I'm not getting that in mids. Looks like just status effects are improved. 

Also would love to see any build for inspiration. 

Posted (edited)

elec/energy is a nice pairing and quite end draining thanks to how elecs aim works paired with power boost.  slot attacks for end drain and watch those bars drop

rifle/energy is one of my favorites since its just a gun with some utility.  all it has is the default, buildup and conserve energy

fire/energy is the classic powerhouse since fireball and buildup before level 5 or 7

ice/energy used to be the pvp king but i stopped caring like shortly after issue 4.  i guess with power boost and frankenslotting you can get some mileage out of those holds.  with 4/6 basilisk gaze and two 50+5 dmg ios + that one alpha that has dmg/hold thats kinda purpleish.  or i guess some of the lesser used hamis like dmg/mez or acc/mez and whatever other else you want to frankenslot with

Edited by kelika2

Because -Regen, -Res, and -Recharge don't get any benefits from Power Boost, and because of what Boost Range can do to a cone, I'd say a great pairing for /Energy would be Dark/

More for soloing than anything since teams tend to have defenses capped anyway, but you can get Umbral Torrent to over 120ft with -9.38% to hit and over 30s of base immobilize duration. Life Drain (including its heal), Abyssal Gaze, everything in the set gets the treatment.

The slows and holds of Ice certainly love this stuff too.

As Kelika2 has noted, Electric Blast is in a similar situation with Power Boost, ensuring Shocking will happen a lot.

I like Sonic/Energy- the stun from Screech stacks well with the melee attacks, and you can increase their duration with Power Boost (also the sleep from Siren's Song.) But to be honest, I eventually dropped Power Boost to cut down on the number of clicks that aren't doing damage. The little boosts aren't that noticeable when you're blasting away.

Posted (edited)

Archery/Energy is real nice with Boost Range given how quickly Fistful of Arrows animates.  Stack with Ranged Shot and you can scatter arrows over a massive area.  Also works with Static Discharge and Mace Beam Volley if you wanted those from the epic pool.  Archery gets no benefit from Power Boost at all (unless Stunning Shot is buffed, but who actually takes that?) so the power becomes a skip unless you really want it for pool powers.

Dual Pistols/Energy is interesting with Power Boost.  Power Boost will buff the defense debuffs of standard ammo and the slows of Cryo ammo but won't buff Fire's damage or Toxic's damage debuff.  Can be useful if you need to strip defenses or slow things ti a crawl.  Supressive Fire with Cryo Ammo is also a Mag 4 hold so boosting that duration can help keep a boss pinned down, however the Blaster value there is a bit short.  Also Boost Range helps DP a lot since the set has no range bonus from snipes.

Also as a bonus: TeleportTranslocation, and Jaunt are all affected by Boost Range AND the Snipe's range bonus (I believe the Jaunt Initializer from PvP zones is also boosted).  Combat Teleport and Spring Attack are also affected.  Combine those two and Teleport is far and away your fastest method of crossing zones.  Even without the snipe (Sonic and Dual Pistols don't get snipes), Boost Range on Teleport is a massive distance bonus.

Edited by ZorkNemesis

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Beam/Energy is a really nice sniper build.  I didn't do Beam/Energy this last time around because I wanted a lazier build.  Less range, but more lazy.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Posted (edited)

I love Dark/Energy/Soul.  Power Boost increases the -accuracy debuffs dark attacks deal. Mid's says the -acc on Black Star, with Power Boost, is -62%. That's insane. I go with Soul Ancillary to have a full attack chain of cones. Add Boost Range to those cones and you can encompass whole groups in them locking them down with immobs at extreme range.

I go in, nuke for -62% accuracy debuff, pop Boost Range and start hitting the NEXT group without even having to move while the team finishes off the one I just debuffed into not being able to hit the side of a barn. I go with flight so I can angle the cones downwards to prevent aggroing other groups when I don't want to.

Here is the build I'm rocking.

|MBD;24411;1617;2156;BASE64;|
|G1pfQKwK7HZmb8yMcRUVYUNXmb8eIclsinTtaZvhOrTDkuTufOEtYpSHLkuXqjkTceE|
|0Z8vyh3ABHxprsnT1tQ4LSFd/5v77qp99n69ds+kJzhyVBMEA4403Wf+//VKpYyTOd1|
|lhoyJ09r+ZCSCWeZZdidTWAQsJbHvq/Ea4SvtGzX2ugK4Vrr8u3tXWJbADtgwjDirDV|
|e5FNLCuWOj2MjBZUSwpevfmg+tqMGTkzy2sHtYC4xc3eN2+ugtQIY03SIjOAvc9zmfF|
|gTiPzdu5GDRIabW/vwyZ9mDzUj8x0dsRLURSiqnsy7v0FqRn8yesvuE+CG9hvesDjNf|
|Qr5JZnPCJyub1NTtIQ9U/Fn2W/j4jrfeaPUjU0ZSOocEm11RzHGwdTbouYZrs61aAZc|
|9Jm2UvHFWX/TLb85K+BFyKF+l+ZJ9KR3s87XAfCmc3hUqECSKWdudv0inOM1GHLk3dz|
|5bHB/rh4gpoNdAE1Fue4f2NZlXtJnGjaH1vZke3AwGrT/VKcRldXs9zJTcefJDL1v3+|
|wz2/UMv3MpG/9PI66XNkNNBZnkqomoZBb3qrwCZsReQI3kHVQK033kABuKOF7t9yWXs|
|o+sztScgb1oKkzhBZ4xeUynVhEDrkN1W/JCG4gOgJlEBwCdEFFCK4RthAe+eu1yzY2X|
|csn5FsaR8xs9zoSQreCoOk0xyzOXfRVPk512Cl7RGw7K0nv8d/zBPF/Af3EXwZlLAWF|
|s4UhYhqBQuQ0L6b9PR86iGn253AozzHgNFcBr+xPmF6SoVbM+AjRFlM0JSNMTpXLR2+|
|RYRiDS40cNmYhOKo2nhmCk/5sS0Ltr9XxikJNMPpwg+l3NmQxhduAbvMovR5+vDhbis|
|4Y3EHimeDyCW202+j/wEabCXdA+44jCAOkwgjITAAQ4TRkEy4x0CXs1YUYPg7tzOxfC|
|l9WprAdnqa7fRmKjKt4JAvruOJC/6lyGM2DGv4TNoPLe6KzHVgolRtUEaFyBnaa0bFh|
|hevrxSdqogCDBFRsOuTzBxHal9iMLieqbr0N2BzXT9RukL617zO+LXQDIA+1c0R4PLU|
|istsOWdZblDYB0YuJoBgDQMoTr0loPRchz4+bSSJsU86MSpdn0xWavzG+gc8UDwD+xB|
|MmN26YGTFZ7T5yknABCJdyRIDx8RA8UrUTsUhCalwqrbfwOGbhNrhWfTI8FdSnmtwB1|
|UXfrlr2hAkrt1ddtpQyfi00e7ewzr3DdQ10GkgNiTWNsLJ74/Kn7RAAowQfaAQqddAV|
|1vs5u1zP1wEMHEGWYwksTY5BtF4c3GWDKjABR4bZ5HY+YMhemLF+i/UlIdweSQhTo9C|
|2kqxrqH7yYdLHZA41M7AMPw0+EvRKcuzOEwAuKC4unKXg8g9CAZksoURIizJApvR3CW|
|8d08KxC15kOpl66U4eccYbkUEFQ7ab7hHwAMBB4qrmfEx47ybIjCzrqY3esA3PtwwNH|
|BYHFbbjpz/iRqfqyI6ehR359LCJsqaBgJbyQp7+xDooEDkfHDZZTmrJxV20RRcdmMYm|
|TKa/eXnykWvu04BmAiDghoY3oexxCUDBq9n0uyvJZ1ow/nPCKWWkO1Id20aOCFr9kVF|
|vz4xD9qgw81UrHoGPAAY8Q23Is+lKiIBE1DMdpbZlxajwx+YbHPPS1JU/BlLkv6LXs2|
|lxf1w5fgYypEyhRepihiAEaJKEQkxMA5R4S0bKILFfBWwIKb0cKlUMvJaZ7QOcpKvnA|
|GYQqQNrH6xhbw5ldyPYsO8EZUt4Iaw3V3+sdYMm9BfjeKWi7NQkAEvxNrxMs8Rzb3A7|
|XXP8uLNDH6plp/zxKJSnhSeaB1u6kPuiOFUKNe/UL5CrJbPuQuqLsZpDpUw/xLPv0e/|
|ZIsnVvIrvX9yHjzK7cE3tD7zFOMkud2sSFhHrIDcedtkM4bC69Y07uKl4etru2lyn7V|
|eLFH2tZY1FGeRTS7UV/mVFYXypc2w37jOsBnLAti1w+mT9HE8pVvnMC4sfz+Y9yKOId|
|xJHqDJwbsbb5TUmhV+RXsf0H7a4gHzCTehTvs20EPv9lUSWv7uMS3iornFQ3JqKb8Um|
|fRBvkrIM28PLGsqx5wLwYmI+7NSfW7GA7mbv/tLOcSNftLKS66DjfmB17OGjGVvT63Z|
|JIA8Vx9i9f0N|

Edited by Tubalcain

On 5/15/2024 at 8:13 AM, Vanden said:

Energy Manipulation synergizes with everything. You cannot choose a bad primary to go with it.

I can't say this enough. I played Fire/EM, Ice/EM, AR/EM and later Psi/EM. Sure all except the AR were toons I used in PvP, but it just goes to show how powerful /EM is.

14 hours ago, Tubalcain said:

I love Dark/Energy/Soul.  Power Boost increases the -accuracy debuffs dark attacks deal. Mid's says the -acc on Black Star, with Power Boost, is -62%. That's insane. I go with Soul Ancillary to have a full attack chain of cones. Add Boost Range to those cones and you can encompass whole groups in them locking them down with immobs at extreme range.

I go in, nuke for -62% accuracy debuff, pop Boost Range and start hitting the NEXT group without even having to move while the team finishes off the one I just debuffed into not being able to hit the side of a barn. I go with flight so I can angle the cones downwards to prevent aggroing other groups when I don't want to.

Here is the build I'm rocking.

|MBD;24411;1617;2156;BASE64;|
|G1pfQKwK7HZmb8yMcRUVYUNXmb8eIclsinTtaZvhOrTDkuTufOEtYpSHLkuXqjkTceE|
|0Z8vyh3ABHxprsnT1tQ4LSFd/5v77qp99n69ds+kJzhyVBMEA4403Wf+//VKpYyTOd1|
|lhoyJ09r+ZCSCWeZZdidTWAQsJbHvq/Ea4SvtGzX2ugK4Vrr8u3tXWJbADtgwjDirDV|
|e5FNLCuWOj2MjBZUSwpevfmg+tqMGTkzy2sHtYC4xc3eN2+ugtQIY03SIjOAvc9zmfF|
|gTiPzdu5GDRIabW/vwyZ9mDzUj8x0dsRLURSiqnsy7v0FqRn8yesvuE+CG9hvesDjNf|
|Qr5JZnPCJyub1NTtIQ9U/Fn2W/j4jrfeaPUjU0ZSOocEm11RzHGwdTbouYZrs61aAZc|
|9Jm2UvHFWX/TLb85K+BFyKF+l+ZJ9KR3s87XAfCmc3hUqECSKWdudv0inOM1GHLk3dz|
|5bHB/rh4gpoNdAE1Fue4f2NZlXtJnGjaH1vZke3AwGrT/VKcRldXs9zJTcefJDL1v3+|
|wz2/UMv3MpG/9PI66XNkNNBZnkqomoZBb3qrwCZsReQI3kHVQK033kABuKOF7t9yWXs|
|o+sztScgb1oKkzhBZ4xeUynVhEDrkN1W/JCG4gOgJlEBwCdEFFCK4RthAe+eu1yzY2X|
|csn5FsaR8xs9zoSQreCoOk0xyzOXfRVPk512Cl7RGw7K0nv8d/zBPF/Af3EXwZlLAWF|
|s4UhYhqBQuQ0L6b9PR86iGn253AozzHgNFcBr+xPmF6SoVbM+AjRFlM0JSNMTpXLR2+|
|RYRiDS40cNmYhOKo2nhmCk/5sS0Ltr9XxikJNMPpwg+l3NmQxhduAbvMovR5+vDhbis|
|4Y3EHimeDyCW202+j/wEabCXdA+44jCAOkwgjITAAQ4TRkEy4x0CXs1YUYPg7tzOxfC|
|l9WprAdnqa7fRmKjKt4JAvruOJC/6lyGM2DGv4TNoPLe6KzHVgolRtUEaFyBnaa0bFh|
|hevrxSdqogCDBFRsOuTzBxHal9iMLieqbr0N2BzXT9RukL617zO+LXQDIA+1c0R4PLU|
|istsOWdZblDYB0YuJoBgDQMoTr0loPRchz4+bSSJsU86MSpdn0xWavzG+gc8UDwD+xB|
|MmN26YGTFZ7T5yknABCJdyRIDx8RA8UrUTsUhCalwqrbfwOGbhNrhWfTI8FdSnmtwB1|
|UXfrlr2hAkrt1ddtpQyfi00e7ewzr3DdQ10GkgNiTWNsLJ74/Kn7RAAowQfaAQqddAV|
|1vs5u1zP1wEMHEGWYwksTY5BtF4c3GWDKjABR4bZ5HY+YMhemLF+i/UlIdweSQhTo9C|
|2kqxrqH7yYdLHZA41M7AMPw0+EvRKcuzOEwAuKC4unKXg8g9CAZksoURIizJApvR3CW|
|8d08KxC15kOpl66U4eccYbkUEFQ7ab7hHwAMBB4qrmfEx47ybIjCzrqY3esA3PtwwNH|
|BYHFbbjpz/iRqfqyI6ehR359LCJsqaBgJbyQp7+xDooEDkfHDZZTmrJxV20RRcdmMYm|
|TKa/eXnykWvu04BmAiDghoY3oexxCUDBq9n0uyvJZ1ow/nPCKWWkO1Id20aOCFr9kVF|
|vz4xD9qgw81UrHoGPAAY8Q23Is+lKiIBE1DMdpbZlxajwx+YbHPPS1JU/BlLkv6LXs2|
|lxf1w5fgYypEyhRepihiAEaJKEQkxMA5R4S0bKILFfBWwIKb0cKlUMvJaZ7QOcpKvnA|
|GYQqQNrH6xhbw5ldyPYsO8EZUt4Iaw3V3+sdYMm9BfjeKWi7NQkAEvxNrxMs8Rzb3A7|
|XXP8uLNDH6plp/zxKJSnhSeaB1u6kPuiOFUKNe/UL5CrJbPuQuqLsZpDpUw/xLPv0e/|
|ZIsnVvIrvX9yHjzK7cE3tD7zFOMkud2sSFhHrIDcedtkM4bC69Y07uKl4etru2lyn7V|
|eLFH2tZY1FGeRTS7UV/mVFYXypc2w37jOsBnLAti1w+mT9HE8pVvnMC4sfz+Y9yKOId|
|xJHqDJwbsbb5TUmhV+RXsf0H7a4gHzCTehTvs20EPv9lUSWv7uMS3iornFQ3JqKb8Um|
|fRBvkrIM28PLGsqx5wLwYmI+7NSfW7GA7mbv/tLOcSNftLKS66DjfmB17OGjGVvT63Z|
|JIA8Vx9i9f0N|

How's the damage on dark?  I always feel like it is weak but I've only messed around a little on test server.  Like how does dark/ compare to energy/  ?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fever Dream said:

How's the damage on dark?  I always feel like it is weak but I've only messed around a little on test server.  Like how does dark/ compare to energy/  ?

It's a lot of DoT which some people aren't a fan of. But it's a rarely resisted damage type that gives you a lot of protection even early on. It's more about the debuffs and control inherent in the set paired with Power Boost augmenting them and Soul compounding them. That being said, my finished blaster has been told multiple times that they hit like a truck.

When you're hitting them with all four cones the numbers rolling up are crazy. It's like having Blizzard going all the time and those accuracy debuffs are helping your team mates too.

Edited by Tubalcain

15 minutes ago, Tubalcain said:

It's a lot of DoT which some people aren't a fan of. But it's a rarely resisted damage type that gives you a lot of protection even early on. It's more about the debuffs and control inherent in the set paired with Power Boost augmenting them and Soul compounding them. That being said, my finished blaster has been told multiple times that they hit like a truck.

When you're hitting them with all four cones the numbers rolling up are crazy. It's like having Blizzard going all the time.

Can you share your build file? cant get that data chunk to load in MIDS. would love to see your build.

6 minutes ago, dreamwine said:

Can you share your build file? cant get that data chunk to load in MIDS. would love to see your build.

My mids is broken. It wont even load my own save files. I'll post it here once it's sorted

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 2:57 PM, Fever Dream said:

My quest for the perfect blaster continues.  I'm very intrigued by /energy. It's unique with boost power and boost range. I also like the damage of the melee powers. 

I'm looking for a high damage,  survivable blaster that can blame.

Any recommendations?  I was hoping that the damage over time component of fire/ would be improved by power boost but I'm not getting that in mids. Looks like just status effects are improved. 

Also would love to see any build for inspiration. 

Psi has the longest range. Use Boost Range on that, and you can hit stuff at draw distance. Its very funny to see the enemies hit from that far away, with no chance to hit you back if you are hovering high above. I build a character around this concpet and its a very unique way to play. Sniper extreme.

Edited by Gentoo