What are the WORST Armor sets?

Linea

8 minutes ago, biostem said:

In a very general sense, any armor set that you, as an individual, cannot make work for you, is "the worst".  Now, there are many reasons why one may not be able to get a set to work for them - like constantly running out of end, a set having holes you cannot or just aren't yet able to patch, or just not liking the style of play a particular armor set "wants" you to use, (like switching between bio armor's modes or maybe having a backup source of healing for SR, when hits do get through).

One can build around a particular stance with Bio and rarely (if ever) change stance.

• Like 1

Just now, Erratic1 said:

One can build around a particular stance with Bio and rarely (if ever) change stance.

Oh no doubt.  My point was that the set kind of wants you to switch modes on the fly, which is why you have a variety of buffs/debuffs depending on the mode.  I'm not saying you *can't* just set a mode and leave it on 24x7...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, biostem said:

Oh no doubt.  My point was that the set kind of wants you to switch modes on the fly, which is why you have a variety of buffs/debuffs depending on the mode.  I'm not saying you *can't* just set a mode and leave it on 24x7...

Not sure a set wants or doesn't want anything. My car had multiple gear settings and does not care which one I am in. When operating it, 90% of the time I am [D]rive and do not randomly change to [N]eutral or [R]everse. As goes Bio, I have a Brute I built around [E]fficient stance and a Tanker I built around [O]ffensive stance. I cannot say I never switch stances with either, but its rare (and usually to [D]efensive.

I suspect it is a case of seeing options are there and thinking you should be using each all the time and never really considering any other approach.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

I suspect it is a case of seeing options are there and thinking you should be using each all the time and never really considering any other approach.

You're reading too much into it - options are there, therefore they are meant to be used.  An automatic transmission car, though you may be in drive like 90% of the time, is still intended to be able to reverse or be placed into a specific gear or neutral, if and when needed.  You may not see the need, but the capability is still there.  Compare and contrast it with SR, where you really only have 1 way to play the set - turn on the toggles, then either click the status protection power as needed or set it to autofire.  There are no modes to switch between, no variety of buffs/debuffs to consider using depending upon the circumstances you run up against...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, GM Impervium said:

Any set can be the worst if you only pick one power and don't slot or enhance it =D

Any set can be worst if you don't take a 3 year degree in Mids Reborn.

• Haha 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, biostem said:

You're reading too much into it - options are there, therefore they are meant to be used.  An automatic transmission car, though you may be in drive like 90% of the time, is still intended to be able to reverse or be placed into a specific gear or neutral, if and when needed.  

I believe I wrote:

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

I cannot say I never switch stances with either, but its rare (and usually to [D]efensive.

So that was covered.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:16 PM, Snarky said:

It will tend to depend on AT.  resist armors favor Brutes and Tanks, with higher resist caps.  There is going to be an armor by armor trade off when moving to a scrapper.  Some will be less effective, more than others.

And to add on, what attack powerset they are paired with matters too. If the attack powerset either covers a hole or dovetails with a strength of the armor, you'll have better results. The sets that need time to leverage their recovery mechanic tend to do better with attacks with CC's or debuffs that give them that time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No set should be designed to able to withstand everything.. I think every set should have a " hole " or weakness that you have to work around solving either through using IOs or incarnates, or find OTHER ways to manage that if possible to shore up that hole.. or GASP teaming with other people !!!!

Example.. INV is weak to PSI but you can get some resistance with IOs  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Heatstroke said:

Example.. INV is weak to PSI but you can get some resistance with IOs  

Invulnerability on HC doesn't have the Psi hole it did on Live. Energy Aura has more of an issue with Psi, IIRC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tidge said:

Invulnerability on HC doesn't have the Psi hole it did on Live. Energy Aura has more of an issue with Psi, IIRC.

Invul has a small amount of psi resist in Resist Energies and Unyielding and a large amount in Unstoppable. Energy has a small amount of psi resist in Energy Protection and a large amount of psi defense in Overload. Fire has the biggest psi hole, as it has no protection whatsoever.

• Like 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 minutes ago, Uun said:

Invul has a small amount of psi resist in Resist Energies and Unyielding and a large amount in Unstoppable.

Tell me more about this power "Unstoppable"... it sounds like it may the fix for all of  Invulnerability's problems!

/s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tidge said:

Tell me more about this power "Unstoppable"... it sounds like it may the fix for all of  Invulnerability's problems!

/s

I wasn't suggesting that the psi protection justified taking Unstoppable or Overload, just that both sets have similar levels of protection. 

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

More related to the question posed: I really wish we could get a revisit of several of the Armor T9 powers. I find it embarrassing that often a handful of Inspirations can do what a set's capstone power can do, with less investment and fewer negative consequences.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, tidge said:

More related to the question posed: I really wish we could get a revisit of several of the Armor T9 powers. I find it embarrassing that often a handful of Inspirations can do what a set's capstone power can do, with less investment and fewer negative consequences.

Kinda agree with you there, honestly.

And also, seeing one comment about PvP above, by Murcielago, reminds me that the answers to this question may be somewhat different if or when the OP is considering PvP (though I don't PvP, so I have nothing to say on that front, myself) v.s. PvE content.

I also wonder if getting into (and becoming good at) PvP might make me better at slotting and using certain powersets, thereby changing my opinions of how good a certain powerset is (or is not).  I've never done that, but the possibility keeps tickling the back of my brain.

2 hours ago, tidge said:

Granted. I kind of dont pay attention o that. But the point is that it has a weakness.

No Armor set should be able to do everything.

Willpower should have some -regen

2 hours ago, tidge said:

I find it embarrassing that often a handful of Inspirations can do what a set's capstone power can do, with less investment and fewer negative consequences.

I am not joking in the slightest when I say, "NERF INSPIRATIONS!"

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Heatstroke said:

Willpower should have some -regen

It has 25.95% resistance to -regen in Fast Healing (scrapper #s), as does Regen. Both sets should have more. Radiation has 17.3% in Gamma Boost plus 25.95% in Radiation Therapy.

The top Tank* armors in my testing have been:

• 13: SR**
  • 12: SD
  • 11: Stone
  • 10: Inv, SR

*On a scrapper these top armors all get crammed into the 6 or 7 range, which is why I list the Tank ratings instead.

**SR is extremely hard to drive at difficulty 13, failing 95% of the time, but it's also the only armor that EVER passed difficulty 13.  The rest of the time I'd probably rate it a 10.  It should be pretty Cozy in the 10 range.

Back on Topic

What are the worst armors and why?  

• I want to build one.  Yes I'm crazy.  Sometimes I just like the challenge of making the worst work as well as possible, and figuring out what that means.
  • Point out the Why.  Which armors and which points of which armors need attention and why they need that attention.  Aka:  If scrapper fire had a taunt aura it would suddenly be top tier instead of bottom tier.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:41 PM, aethereal said:

Regen.

I think Fire is Real Bad for scrappers.

someone out there has a fire regen scrapper they love and swears is great.... you know it.

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

someone out there has a fire regen scrapper they love and swears is great.... you know it.

Hopefully they don't have Fire Armor and Regen both as that would leave then with no offensive set.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Hopefully they don't have Fire Armor and Regen both as that would leave then with no offensive set.

i meant fire melee.  scrappers get fire melee right?  wait....  funny i get it now

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

My vote is for Willpower.

It has zero protection against cascade of any sort. Once its protection fails, it's done.

The Stalker version gets a clickyheal IIRC.

But yeah the rest just have the piddly amount of DDR in Heightened Senses plus the T9.
(I suppose they could run away to find more mobs to cuddle in order to buff RTTC's regeneration rate...? MUST FIND MORE THINGS TO HIT ME SO THAT I CAN HEAL FASTER!!)

• Haha 1