New Changes suck for blasters, corruptors, defenders and dominators.

On 7/6/2024 at 10:01 AM, Ukase said:

I look at CoH like a soft drink. 
Cryptic CoH was Coca-Cola
Paragon was New Coke. 
The secret server was a foray into a home brew version of Root Beer that only people who were invited got to try. 
HC is a healthy person's Soda Stream. One day it's Grape. The next day it might be Banana. 
Thunderspy is kind of like Stone Cold's IPA. With alcohol! Or maybe just a home brew beer. 
Rebirth is a blend of New Coke and old Coke, and maybe some Pepsi. 

It's a metaphor meme. A memeaphor if you will. - Imgur

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Akisan said:

That said, I am a fan of the Council and CoT buffs - they really needed them!  Those two groups were really stale at 50. Not a fan of the buffs for Arachnos and Crey, though. Arachnos was already either pretty dangerous (way too many of them have CC Protection now), and while Crey needed a refresh (they were a slog to wade through, with no variety), their buff felt a bit targeted towards countering Lethal-centric builds.

Wow, I didn’t even realize that Arachnos and Crey had been buffed in Page 7 as well….or did this come much earlier?  I guess I just haven’t noticed anything different about them recently.

Arachnos have always been problematic for -some- builds, even builds that otherwise can take just about anything PvE has to throw at them.  Their ranged debuffs hurt.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, Crysis said:

It's just not an issue if you have a well slotted toon and when faced with overwhelming odds not in your favor, learn to use basic stuff like strategic retreats, pulling, jousting, etc. 

It's not my intent to defend "mr first post ever", but when they state "balanced around level 25 enhancements" (I took the liberty of correcting the spelling/word choice. No idea what an enchancement is), my guess is they are still working with level 25 enhancements. Hopefully basic IOs and not level 25 SOs that are now red and inert. No idea what their build is, but I'm guessing they're not using any sets or procs. 

It is a different game, really. Playing with just SOs requires more knowledge and experience, I believe, to have a similar experience as a player with IOs and Set bonuses. 

Just now, Ukase said:

It's not my intent to defend "mr first post ever", but when they state "balanced around level 25 enhancements" (I took the liberty of correcting the spelling/word choice. No idea what an enchancement is), my guess is they are still working with level 25 enhancements. Hopefully basic IOs and not level 25 SOs that are now red and inert. No idea what their build is, but I'm guessing they're not using any sets or procs. 

It is a different game, really. Playing with just SOs requires more knowledge and experience, I believe, to have a similar experience as a player with IOs and Set bonuses. 

Aye, it sure would be an entirely different gaming experience just playing right now with SO’s.  I’ve done it exactly one time on a Tanker (which is already pretty durable) and wouldn’t call that fun in the least bit.  

Would be even worse if your experience was only SO’s and you didn’t understand the now 20+ year old Enhancement Diversification changes.

But agreed, without a posted build, we can only theorize what “their experience” is contextually based upon.

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

Wow, I didn’t even realize that Arachnos and Crey had been buffed in Page 7 as well….or did this come much earlier?  I guess I just haven’t noticed anything different about them recently.

Arachnos have always been problematic for -some- builds, even builds that otherwise can take just about anything PvE has to throw at them.  Their ranged debuffs hurt.

Crey was updated on a previous page.  Arachnos got changed on page 7 though:  Bane Spiders (all) got 4 pts. of CC protection, as did minion Crab spiders (Lts. and Bosses already had it), Blood Widows were added, and the auto-hit Scramble Thoughts (-perc, -acc, -25% def.) from the Tarantula Mistresses is no longer auto-hit.  (As I recall, anyways.  It's been a bit since I've engaged them solo, since I rely on CC and positioning to stay alive, and they're rough to play against now.)  And as far as my comment about them having too much CC protection:  Bane Spiders, Crab Spiders, Widows, and Fortunata Mistresses all have 4 pts. of CC protection.  Only Mu, Tarantulas, and minion Fortunatas are vulnerable (at level 50 anyways).

• Like 1

In general, my personal stance has been that the 40+ end of the game needs to get tougher in some fashion. It's just hard to find the pleasant spot where tougher does not equal tedium at all difficulty settings flat out.

I've not really disliked the enemy changes, but I can see why others would dislike them. Especially those who prefer brain-off +4/x8 Council Radio Farms.

• Like 2

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

On 7/6/2024 at 3:01 PM, Ukase said:

I look at CoH like a soft drink. 
Cryptic CoH was Coca-Cola
Paragon was New Coke. 
The secret server was a foray into a home brew version of Root Beer that only people who were invited got to try. 
HC is a healthy person's Soda Stream. One day it's Grape. The next day it might be Banana. 
Thunderspy is kind of like Stone Cold's IPA. With alcohol! Or maybe just a home brew beer. 
Rebirth is a blend of New Coke and old Coke, and maybe some Pepsi. 

One thing is constant - it's all carbonated, and it's all liquid refreshment. Some of us drink too much of it for our own good. 

If it's carbonated, it's not IPA.

just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I can see where the OP is coming from. I'm not a huge fan of the Council revamp either, but it's because it makes fighting them boring rather than harder. When feels like every soldier turns into a warwolf and every galaxy rezzes every time, it just means spawns need to be defeated twice because they're a bigger bag of HP to erode. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Random Axis said:

I can see where the OP is coming from. I'm not a huge fan of the Council revamp either, but it's because it makes fighting them boring rather than harder. When feels like every soldier turns into a warwolf and every galaxy rezzes every time, it just means spawns need to be defeated twice because they're a bigger bag of HP to erode. 

To each their own.  I found that their transformations makes me want to target them as priority, and it finally forced me to create some binds to ensure I kept them on their back during the fight.  So for me at least, with most of my builds, it's -added- excitement, not added boredom.  But again, YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Ukase said:

An Enchancement refers to a enhancement that drops by chance.  This person is playing while just using drops.  Which explains their great difficulty in playing… anything.  

Let us now lobby the GMs to 1) increase the rate and quality of dropped enchancent 2) make the game much much easier so the players who only use enchancements have a shot at surviving 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Akisan said:

Crey was updated on a previous page.  Arachnos got changed on page 7 though:  Bane Spiders (all) got 4 pts. of CC protection, as did minion Crab spiders (Lts. and Bosses already had it), Blood Widows were added, and the auto-hit Scramble Thoughts (-perc, -acc, -25% def.) from the Tarantula Mistresses is no longer auto-hit.  (As I recall, anyways.  It's been a bit since I've engaged them solo, since I rely on CC and positioning to stay alive, and they're rough to play against now.)  And as far as my comment about them having too much CC protection:  Bane Spiders, Crab Spiders, Widows, and Fortunata Mistresses all have 4 pts. of CC protection.  Only Mu, Tarantulas, and minion Fortunatas are vulnerable (at level 50 anyways).

Re: Crey, I see they were buffed in I27/P3 back in 2021.  So long ago I really didn’t notice anything changing “recently.”  

Re: Arachnos; i can see in the patch notes they removed the auto hit of Scramble Thoughts/Brain and some other Arachnos adjustments.  That seems like more of an advantage when fighting them now vs prior, but your mention of CC and relying on positional DEF seems to me to overlook the Defense Type vs Defense positional roll checks adjustment that was made some time ago.  That’s why I now try to slot my DEF based AT’s for S/L/R or S/L/M whenever possible since critters now effectively have a better chance to hit me through my defenses otherwise.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:
On 7/7/2024 at 11:17 PM, LastHumanSoldier said:

I am not commenting one way or the other on the difficulty front, but I want to note that this thread is *REALLY* coming across as toxic.
Instead of being friendly, or helpful a lot of you are nasty and taunting.

Not a great way to grow the community.

Oh no, it's the TONE POLICE.

Whatever. Log in to your moderator account and close the thread or stop wasting my time with your crybaby nonsense. Isn't it time for your HOA meeting?

Mh7w66d.gif

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

An Enchancement refers to a enhancement that drops by chance.  This person is playing while just using drops.  Which explains their great difficulty in playing… anything.

I thought that was called living off the land, which is a whole 'nother kind of challenge...altogether.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crysis said:

Re: Arachnos; i can see in the patch notes they removed the auto hit of Scramble Thoughts/Brain and some other Arachnos adjustments.  That seems like more of an advantage when fighting them now vs prior, but your mention of CC and relying on positional DEF seems to me to overlook the Defense Type vs Defense positional roll checks adjustment that was made some time ago.  That’s why I now try to slot my DEF based AT’s for S/L/R or S/L/M whenever possible since critters now effectively have a better chance to hit me through my defenses otherwise.  

Scramble Thoughts no longer being Autohit is very welcome.  As for my relying on CC and Positioning, that has less to do with Type vs. Positional Defense and more to do with not being at the Defense cap.  Some enemies I let into melee so I can either shred or perma-hold them (Like EBs or tougher, low-priority mobs), others I have to keep at bay (most AVs). Letting myself get surrounded usually ends badly. 

That's a playstyle preference, though, since I like that it keeps combat more interesting.  It also means that buffs to enemy groups generally do more than simply slowing me down, which seems to be the main complaint that many capped builds have. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to suspect that that cap is what's being balanced around, which really shouldn't be the case, as that'd discourage build diversity.

1 hour ago, Ravenplume said:
10 hours ago, Snarky said:

I thought that was called living off the land, which is a whole 'nother kind of challenge...altogether.

The only time I've ever even attempted that challenge also involved a lot of stopping XP - both so I wouldn't outlevel arcs, but also so that I could even pretend to have any realistic fighting capabilities.  I can't even imagine trying to keep more than half of my enhancements from going red doing that at normal XP rates.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

If it's carbonated, it's not IPA.

What does carbonation have to do with the International Phonetic Alphabet?

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Just now, High_Beam said:

What does carbonation have to do with the International Phonetic Alphabet?

You'll find out next time you go into a pub and order an Indigo Papa Alpha

• Haha 2

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Close. 🙂

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I would say we are out of that and offer an India Papa Alpha as a replacement.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Ravenplume said:

I would say we are out of that and offer an India Papa Alpha as a replacement.

Romeo Oscar Foxtrot Lima, over.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.