Deadpool and Wolverine…

Worked 13 hours yesterday and 9 today.  So many bodies to bury.  It is a damn tragedy.  

But now I have my ticket for a “Dbox 3D” Deadpool experience in my errr phone…. Grabbing a snack and then plopping down to be over/under/sideways/down-whelmed.   

Reports will be forthcoming.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Spoilers

Edit: Wait, no spoilers!!! 🙃

Im sitting in this lounge chair that evidently doubles as a roller coaster? With 3d glasses in my lap watching the previews. Yes, Snarky arrives when the pre-pre-previews start.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Im sitting in this lounge chair that evidently doubles as a roller coaster? With 3d glasses in my lap watching the previews. Yes, Snarky arrives when the pre-pre-previews start.  

There was a time arriving at the start of the movie show time was late! Now if you get there when the ticket says showtime, you're waiting another 30 minutes through ads, a show they play at gas station pump mini-screens, ads, and then another ad, then previews, then the actual movie. I'm done with all my snacks before the movie starts!

• Haha 1

Saw it last night. Not that great. Pushed by the ton of cameos and return of Wolverine. It was fun to watch but not a lot to it. First supes movie I paid for in a while...I guess I don't regret it..? Definitely far from one of the better supers movies...BUT one of the better ones from the last few years.

• Like 1

Just walked out

no spoilers….but…..

it was like a dream.  A dream that Ryan Reynolds took to a cheap hotel and pounded like a two dollar streetwalker until FINALLY in the morning daddy screamed “happy ending”

i just wish they could do one of these each week.  Then my life would be complete 

13 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Just walked out

no spoilers….but…..

it was like a dream.  A dream that Ryan Reynolds took to a cheap hotel and pounded like a two dollar streetwalker until FINALLY in the morning daddy screamed “happy ending”

i just wish they could do one of these each week.  Then my life would be complete 

Ha, ha!  Have not seen it, but as the first two are among my top 10 movies of all time, your report fills me with hope. 😄👍

• Like 1

Saw it. Loved it!

Wish I knew as much about Marvel comics as I do about DC comics, I'd have spotted a lot more of the references in there 🙂

Great film!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 8:22 PM, Glacier Peak said:

There was a time arriving at the start of the movie show time was late! Now if you get there when the ticket says showtime, you're waiting another 30 minutes through ads, a show they play at gas station pump mini-screens, ads, and then another ad, then previews, then the actual movie. I'm done with all my snacks before the movie starts!

That's how my movie went too!  Showed up 10 minutes early as it was, but the movie started 20 minutes after start time!

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

I haven't seen it, but I've already had two of the big reveals spoilered by people on General Chat. Very, very much looking forward to it when I get can my kevlar-clad butt to a seat.

However, I have been enjoying a lot of the promo stuff around the movie, including Ryan & Hugh's episode of Hot Ones. Partly because there's some genuinely good questions about moviemaking in there - Ryan's impassioned speech about character is almost as good as Matt Damon's money talk.

But also there's Hugh being tortured till he's tripping on capsaicin.

(Side note: I've only done that once, when my date ordered us Tom Yam and I thought it would be toned down for pasty people. It was not. But for some reason, as it had been bought for me, I had to finish it. By the end, I could smell colours, see forever and my eyes were bleeding visions from eight different timestreams.)

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

15 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

However, I have been enjoying a lot of the promo stuff around the movie, including Ryan & Hugh's episode of Hot Ones. Partly because there's some genuinely good questions about moviemaking in there - Ryan's impassioned speech about character is almost as good as Matt Damon's money talk.

But also there's Hugh being tortured till he's tripping on capsaicin.

(Side note: I've only done that once, when my date ordered us Tom Yam and I thought it would be toned down for pasty people. It was not. But for some reason, as it had been bought for me, I had to finish it. By the end, I could smell colours, see forever and my eyes were bleeding visions from eight different timestreams.)

I just saw that interview.  It is the first time I've seen this show.  I see a lot of comedy, and I may lightly chuckle, but these guys had me gasping for breath from laughing so hard.  I do agree the questions were really good, but I was a bit disappointed that such good questions were asked when the respondents were beyond the ability to pair it with a good answer. 

Speaking as one who is from the state which invented the hottest peppers on the planet I...completely distance myself from those Low Country weirdos.  LOL.  Among my circle of friends I'm known for taking hot food better than most of the others, but I'm not crazy.  I'll max out at about 5,000 Scoville. I've had Thai food prepared at supposedly a 7/10  per the waiter's rating (I really think the chef made it an 8/10), but I've never had Tom Yum (as the local Thai restaurants spell it) that altered my reality.  That's insane.  To me, heat should always be in balance with other flavor elements, or there's no reason to prepare the food, just guzzle the sauce. 

30 years ago, my roommates and our gang had a low-key version of this going on.  There was an Asian buffet in town known for delicious fried wonton nearly the size of golf balls and for a particularly hot "Chinese" mustard (mustard with horseradish).  We used to getting heaping plates of both, slather the sauce on the fried meatball and chow down, trying to see who could clear the plate without beverage and who wouldn't.   Good times, and really, really clear sinuses.

• Haha 1

Off topic, but if you like having a freshly-flamethrowered nasal cavity, please enjoy this American lady trying my home town's most famous export.

(And since Hugh Jackman's mum is from round'haaaiir, I'm surprised he doesn't have more resilience.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

8 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

... my home town's most famous export.

I've seen Coleman's mustard on store shelves, but never realized it was hot.  It just looked like standard French's mustard, which I ...tolerate.  (I much prefer a classier mustard.)  Now understanding there's heat to it, I shall have to bring some home, after acquiring the appropriate toxic stickers to apply to prevent anyone else opening the fridge from a troublesome ending.  That said, I've a certain 20-something's niece who has gone out of her way to thumb her nose at my choices in mustard, proclaiming her devotion to plain ol' French's.  I might have to swap the contents of her's sometime.  😈

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

prevent anyone else opening the fridge from a troublesome ending

Like many things in life, it's delicious when used sparingly

12 hours ago, Techwright said:

I just saw that interview.  It is the first time I've seen this show.  I see a lot of comedy, and I may lightly chuckle, but these guys had me gasping for breath from laughing so hard.  I do agree the questions were really good, but I was a bit disappointed that such good questions were asked when the respondents were beyond the ability to pair it with a good answer. 

Speaking as one who is from the state which invented the hottest peppers on the planet I...completely distance myself from those Low Country weirdos.  LOL.  Among my circle of friends I'm known for taking hot food better than most of the others, but I'm not crazy.  I'll max out at about 5,000 Scoville. I've had Thai food prepared at supposedly a 7/10  per the waiter's rating (I really think the chef made it an 8/10), but I've never had Tom Yum (as the local Thai restaurants spell it) that altered my reality.  That's insane.  To me, heat should always be in balance with other flavor elements, or there's no reason to prepare the food, just guzzle the sauce. 

30 years ago, my roommates and our gang had a low-key version of this going on.  There was an Asian buffet in town known for delicious fried wonton nearly the size of golf balls and for a particularly hot "Chinese" mustard (mustard with horseradish).  We used to getting heaping plates of both, slather the sauce on the fried meatball and chow down, trying to see who could clear the plate without beverage and who wouldn't.   Good times, and really, really clear sinuses.

Asking people great questions as they become increasingly unable to answer them is pretty much the point of Hot Ones. I'm a bit of a hipster about that show, in that I much prefer the early episodes before they became a part of every big movie/album's press tour, but it still holds up. There are multiple compilations on YouTube of guests being blown away by the Hot Ones research team.

• Like 2

Emma Corrin performance as Cassandra Nova was mesmerizing, I couldn't get enough of her and I wanted more.

Her character could be huge in the MCU as a main villain for Avengers or X-men movies to come.

SPOILER!!!

Thought the ending was pretty weak and this should of brought LOKI series in way more.

OH!!!  And to the Movie YouTube Movie Critic that saw and caught the infinity stones, my hat's off to you good sir!

Edited by TauntingMonk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later
  • Game Master

Saw it a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. Was the plot pretty basic? Of course. Was it a lot of fan service? Oui mon cher. Emma Corrin was adorable and actually had character development. I hope we see her again. If you know the comics then you know her fate in the movie is a minor inconvenience. As for the rest, I wasn't expecting it to be so brutal. The opening sequence made my jaw drop and it only got better from there. I had a lot of "I can't believe they went there" moments. All in all I'd recommend it if you enjoyed the first two. And after watching some shocked YouTube videos. . I know Deadpool is fun for kids. But this is not a kids movie. Don't take little Johnny and Chantelle.  not unless you want to accelerate their education in adult vocabulary 😛 

You

On 8/30/2024 at 5:51 AM, GM Crumpet said:

Don't take little Johnny and Chantelle.  not unless you want to accelerate their education in adult vocabulary 😛 

Quite right. You didn't have to explain "p*gging" after the first one.

And I would never have shown those two that mov...

*blink*

...hold on one chicken-fried minute here, how come their dad asked them to ask me?

• Haha 2

There is a Taurus World Stunt Awards (founded by one of the guys from Red Bull, oddly enough), and the SAG Awards have one for Best Crew. 

And yes, some folks think the industry might go for increasingly wild and dangerous stunts if there was an award (stunt crews are crazy, sure, but not suicidal). However, there is also a certain sniffiness at the Academy that movies are supposed to be art, dahlink.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

However, there is also a certain sniffiness at the Academy that movies are supposed to be art, dahlink.

Yes, I've seen that a lot over the years.  I'd hoped, when Heath Ledger won the award for playing a comic book character brilliantly, that those walls were starting to come down.  Apparently, only for those playing the Joker.

I hear and understand regarding the perception of an Oscar category increasing stunt danger.  In counterpoint, wouldn't that be a bullet point in the award's definition?  The best stunt team doing the best stunts without compromising safety? 

23 hours ago, Techwright said:

In counterpoint, wouldn't that be a bullet point in the award's definition?  The best stunt team doing the best stunts without compromising safety? 

I believe that's how the Taurus awards work, although the "Hardest Hit" category suggests otherwise...

A "Stunt Ensemble" technical Oscar would do the trick for that, as it covers everyone from performers to riggers to safety crews.

Dragging this back on topic... I finally caught the flick last night and...

Spoiler
  • Do stay for the credits. While Evans' Bahston-inflected, one-take, no-cue-cards-required filth rant is fun, there's a remarkably sweet Cannonball Run-style look back at the Fox/Marvel era, featuring a young and nervous Hugh who didn't know he'd be doing this till he's 90.
  • "Another British villain" does both McFadyen and Corrin very dirty. Both very solid in their own ways, with Matt clowning for all he's worth, and Emma fleshing out her few minutes of screentime into a memorable performance. "Must be nice", in particular.
  • Deep Nerd question - did Charles ever tear a hole in the universe to find his sister?
  • Same goes for Morena Baccarin, Wesley Snipes and Jen Garner, who barely get three minutes each but make every line count.
  • Channing Tatum's Gambit... is an argument for not having comic-accurate costumes. But fun as all hell. Oh, and just maybe...
  • And, of course, the Cavillrine. Hello. Given his run of luck lately with DC and now Amazon, it's nice to see him getting props. (WH40k is on hold - Games Workshop are very canny and protective about their IP, and Amazon have not yet agreed "creative guidelines". They've got four months left to agree it before it expires.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1