No brakes?

Must have been listening to some good tunes

• Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Coming down the Halawa Hill from Camp Smith into Pearl City in an Oldsmobile Omega with failed brakes was the third scariest thing that has ever happened to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

Coming down the Halawa Hill from Camp Smith into Pearl City in an Oldsmobile Omega with failed brakes was the third scariest thing that has ever happened to me.

Mine was a Dodge Dart that the brakes fell apart.   Got pretty good with the parking brake going over a windy mountain road...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, lemming said:

Mine was a Dodge Dart that the brakes fell apart.   Got pretty good with the parking brake going over a windy mountain road...

The parking brake never worked.

You know its serious when you have to make the decision as to when you will need to haul the wheel over to the right and plow into the parked cars on the street in order to stop.  If the light hadn't changed at Ulune street that was what would have happened.

• Banjo 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

On 8/4/2024 at 1:48 PM, WanderingAries said:

Must have been listening to some good tunes

I'm guilty of having owned this album back in 98. My old garage band at the time learned a few songs off that album: The Kids Aren't Alright, Why Don't You Get A Job, and Pretty Fly For A White Guy. That was back when I was lvl 14.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, High_Beam said:

you are going to make us ask arent you....?

On 8/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, High_Beam said:

21 minutes ago, Snarky said:

you are going to make us ask arent you....?

The second scariest thing was probably the traffic ticket for the third.

• Haha 1

Second was having an Egyptian cop point a submachinegun at me and tell me he was going to shoot me in the face if I didn't get on the ground.  Came out of nowhere but he was actually doing his job, I was just too drunk to realize I had dropped my Mil ID and had instead showed him a dollar bill wrapped around my drivers license.

Scariest was on a flat bottomed gator freighter (USS New Orleans LPH-11) in the nastiest part of Typhoon Justin in 97 and we were taking 44 degree rolls when we weren't slammin the trough and every so often it was man down wherever or flooding in compartment whatever and I was absolutely certain we were going to sink.  8 effing hours of white knuckle terror on a ship barely going 8 knots in the middle of the Western Pacific 130 miles from the nearest land.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, High_Beam said:

Scariest was on a flat bottomed gator freighter (USS New Orleans LPH-11) in the nastiest part of Typhoon Justin in 97 and we were taking 44 degree rolls when we weren't slammin the trough and every so often it was man down wherever or flooding in compartment whatever and I was absolutely certain we were going to sink.  8 effing hours of white knuckle terror on a ship barely going 8 knots in the middle of the Western Pacific 130 miles from the nearest land.

Yea, that was similar to one of my scary times.   Coast Guard cutter in 30-40' waves that were crashing over the ship.  At one point one wave washed a couple crew members from the Bridge to the Stern, thankfully they grabbed hold.   One of the waves knocked out our engines and we're just hoping to get them restarted before we turned parallel to the waves.  Engineers got it started in time, otherwise we would have been testing the "If it capsizes, it will right itself"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lemming said:

Coast Guard cutter in 30-40' waves that were crashing over the ship.

Zoinks, a cutter at state 8.  Yeah baby I think you have me beat because even the biggest ones are like 300 feet smaller that the gator I was on.  foot prints on the bulkheads.  Though I would be willing to be all of your WTDs below the waterline closed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Zoinks, a cutter at state 8.  Yeah baby I think you have me beat because even the biggest ones are like 300 feet smaller that the gator I was on.  foot prints on the bulkheads.  Though I would be willing to be all of your WTDs below the waterline closed.

This was '81 I think.  And if I remember right, it was an 82'.  I can not remember the name of the ship.  (Looking up stuff, Point Cutter maybe?)

I was a Sea Cadet, but we (two of us) were brought along on a cruise to intercept drug smugglers and seas were rough.  (July or August, west coast, starting from Eureka, I believe we went as far south as SF, but 150 miles out. )

Hardly anyone ate or slept since we were constantly being tossed around.  iirc, all the bunks broke.   Intercepted a couple ships with nothing and a freighter that turned out it was carrying ignored us but a Navy destroyer got them.

That was the exciting part, then we spent two weeks chipping paint and repainting.

Edited by lemming
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lemming said:

This was '81 I think.  And if I remember right, it was an 82'.  I can not remember the name of the ship.  (Looking up stuff, Point Cutter maybe?)

I was a Sea Cadet, but we (two of us) were brought along on a cruise to intercept drug smugglers and seas were rough.  (July or August, west coast, starting from Eureka, I believe we went as far south as SF, but 150 miles out. )

Hardly anyone ate or slept since we were constantly being tossed around.  iirc, all the bunks broke.   Intercepted a couple ships with nothing and a freighter that turned out it was carrying ignored us but a Navy destroyer got them.

That was the exciting part, then we spent two weeks chipping paint and repainting.

People think CA is nothing but beaches till they see how it is up north, rough and rocky.  Sounds like you and I sailed in similar seas just different ships.  The gator freighter was temp, comms augmentation.  I was mostly Cruiser and Destroyer and we did our share of counter-narc but in the carrib.  Sucks to be you Coastie !!! 🙂

4 hours ago, High_Beam said:

People think CA is nothing but beaches till they see how it is up north, rough and rocky.  Sounds like you and I sailed in similar seas just different ships.  The gator freighter was temp, comms augmentation.  I was mostly Cruiser and Destroyer and we did our share of counter-narc but in the carrib.  Sucks to be you Coastie !!! 🙂

In the sea cadets we got a lot of exposure to different roles.   Coast Guard, PBRs, Destroyer, Ammo Carrier (Mauna Loa).   I was thinking of Coast Guard, but my knees were in bad shape after a growth spurt and being made to do laps around Mare Island.  (At least the Navy paid for a lot of treatment)  And all before I turned 18.  All in all, probably for the best.  In the words of a recruiter, I would have made a lousy enlisted, but encouraged NROTC at the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, lemming said:

Ammo Carrier (Mauna Loa).

Old ships naming protocols were great especially ammunition ships named after volcanos