For those who don't play Redside - why not?

Legree
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I find it interesting how subjective a sliver of these answers are.  Ask somebody a political question, and sometimes you get back answers that discuss numbers, get deep into the weeds about morality or something, but you also get some almost blank "nope, not ever ging to consider any other angle" answers.  Which is fine, that's how politics work.  I wouldn't have guessed that would work for red side vs. blue side, but here we are.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...I'm see any "intractable" positions here, at least not in the sense of "you are wrong, and I am right".  Please clarify?  (And I'm not asking you to tie it further to politics, more to understand what you are seeing that's negative in this thread).

The comment just up there that ends with "They made a mistake allowing the ATs to be universal" for example - and I'm not saying it's wrong at all, just very set in stone.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

They made a mistake allowing the ATs to be universal.

I have mixed feelings on this.  It did remove a reason to play redside (and goldside to some extent) and reduce the value of the side-switching/alignment mechanic, and I won't deny I miss the way that redside teams played differently from blueside, and vice-versa.

On the other hand it has made it a lot easier to match a character concept to the AT that best fits it.  I have most of the ATs on both sides now, though oddly enough I find that the majority of my heroes are still what I'll always think of as blueside ATs, and the majority of my villains are still, in concept, best suited to the redside ATs.

None of the poll options matched my reasons.

1. I created a hero first, then another, then another. I want to have at least one sugar daddy who can provide wealth and other stuff to my alts.  So, hero.

2. My rl friends have fewer alts than I do, and their characters are heroes. I like teaming with them when I can, so, hero.

3. I'm not even close to seeing all the content on the hero side. There are tons of TFs, trials, etc, I haven't done yet. I want to do them, so, hero.

4. I created a SG base. I like to use it, so, hero.

5. Maybe when I've seen/done 90% of the hero content, then maybe, I'll check out redside.

None of the poll options matched my reasons.

1. I created a hero first, then another, then another. I want to have at least one sugar daddy who can provide wealth and other stuff to my alts.  So, hero.

4. I created a SG base. I like to use it, so, hero.

Your other points are valid, but here on homecoming wealth and SGs are factionless.

I have a personal SG, I have villains in it. I send those villains money all the time. Even Praetorians can access it and be twinked, if I feel like rolling a Praetorian.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I mentioned this in a similar thread. City of Villians AI, as I majored in red-side, observing the AI acted differently and the specific mob types you encounter mostly were not as challenging as blue-side. Its hard to remember, HC is not exactly the way I remember and I left a month after AE went live, I have no idea if this but I pretty confident this for certainty.

1) **DISCLAIMER This point is off-topic

CoV you could absolutely run past the whole map, and the AI will not follow you to the end of the boss room, but was patched due to overuse of exploitable farming. CoH version didn't change this until much later, much like how the clockwork in HC always follows you I remember every unit doing this on blueside, but I remember 100% this is true, and I do remember when it was patched.

2) on topic

The AI you face on Redside is significantly more easier than blue-side. By damage in numbers and the mechanics surrounding, such as easier kiting, truly more underwhelming and map missions being smaller.

3) on topic

The community. Blue-side has Atlas, iconic meeting place. This in my opinion why blueside will remain topgun. If only Villians had a starting area with every imaginable resource and all maps connecting to (rail being easier than having to run to the edge of the map in order to dock 1/4 of playable areas.) CoV promotes isolation, isolation creates anxiety and anxiety desensitizing group play.

I have a lot more points, but I just ran out of time. Sorry for the monologue as usual.

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

3) on topic

The community. Blue-side has Atlas, iconic meeting place. This in my opinion why blueside will remain topgun. If only Villians had a starting area with every imaginable resource and all maps connecting to (rail being easier than having to run to the edge of the map in order to dock 1/4 of playable areas.) CoV promotes isolation, isolation creates anxiety and anxiety desensitizing group play.

I don't know or have any memory of the other points, but this one is pretty spot-on, that is something redside lacks.  I mean, I don't even spend much time in Atlas on higher level toons, but I have zoomed in there for a costume contest and when in doubt I know I can find a Pocket D and Vanguard there.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

So if you don't play Redside - why not?

Because I don't want to play in the Rogue Isles. I want to play in Paragon City and Praetoria.

I know I can find a Pocket D and Vanguard there.

But there is no Pocket D entrance in Atlas Park. There is one in Kings Row, though.

So if you don't play Redside - why not?

Because I don't want to play in the Rogue Isles. I want to play in Paragon City and Praetoria.

I know I can find a Pocket D and Vanguard there.

But there is no Pocket D entrance in Atlas Park. There is one in Kings Row, though.

Ha!  Take that Atlas!!  Villains win again!

Yes, I haven't yet bothered to do much homework playing the game, such as memorizing every map and where things are (which is one thing red side has going for it, no trying to remember how to get to Firebase Zulu or any of those other less-traveled areas.)

Go have fun!

I'm just going to get right to the point; in my personal opinion I've always preferred playing Redside since the first day City of Villains came out. I actually found heroside to be quite boring and playing a villain was much more intriguing too. The Villain Archetypes are so much exciting to play (especially Brutes which are my favorite).

Oh and I can't stand Longbow and love killing them too :p

I'm just going to get right to the point; in my personal opinion I've always preferred playing Redside since the first day City of Villains came out. I actually found heroside to be quite boring and playing a villain was much more intriguing too. The Villain Archetypes are so much exciting to play (especially Brutes which are my favorite).

Oh and I can't stand Longbow and love killing them too :p

Wait..what?  Get right to the point?  Where are the personal attacks, the long winded justifications, the giant quote pyramid?  You sir will not have a successful career as a forum poster here.  We need a giant wall of text.

Also, welcome or welcome back to the Rogue Isles, recently rated as “best submarine parking,”

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I got CoV within a week of it's launch. I tried all the different AT's up to the mid 20's but couldn't find anything that gave me an experience as satisfying as what I got from the blue side. There's no content there that I found compelling and I still haven't seen everything that Paragon has to offer. 

I liked the smaller door mission maps better, and I'm appreciative of the adds that CoV made to CoH, but I can't imagine going back to the Rogue isles anytime soon.

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

For me it is purely population. I want to be where the people are and blue side just had more people. I like villains better. That’s mainly what I did on live. Especially since when I played the ATs were still split. But the population difference is big enough that I don’t want to go redside.

IIRC, I don't believe I picked up CoV immediately upon release -- I already knew that the concept would be, for me, one that was very niche, assuming I explored it at all.  I eventually did purchase it (twice, for two accounts) and created a Villain, but I scarcely played him back in the day - he might have reached level 30.

Upon reflection, somewhat in hindsight, I think Redside does have valuable play experiences to offer (hence, I've currently got several Villains, one Rogue, no Vigilantes (yet), and one Praetorian), but Heroes always had the most attraction for me.

I voted variety, but that's just the closest thing I could pick to "Arachnos & Longbow are some of the most annoying mob types in the game, and you can barely get anything done if you try to avoid them." 

In a broader scope, CoX mob groups show a pretty high level of power creep between 1-40 Blue side & just about anything else that came after.  As it's been stated elsewhere, the original goal for mib difficulty was something like 1 LT or 3 minions of even level.  Trouble was that the dev's early estimates of the potential power of player characters happened to be incredibly off the mark.  Thus, the mob groups & content released after launch all started to be much more... I guess "complicated" is a good word for it.  What I mean by this is almost all of the mob types added after launch had much more CC, Debuffs, End Drain, to-hit buffs, w/e.  Arachnos & Longbow got a particularly heavy dose of this issue.  Slowing powers are very common on both, LBs have a lot of long-ish duration stuns & to-hit Debuffs, while Mu are the antithesis of everything good in the world & Widows/Fortunatas are a super common enemy that exploits the very common "Psi Hole".

There's worse mob groups in the game for sure (MALTA! /shakesfist), but most of those are end-game mob groups that you fight when your characters are closed to or fully developed. Spideyboys & LB are the most common enemies all the way from 1-50 Red side.  I hear Praetoria has similar issues, but I don't think I've done their storyline even a single time.  I'm pretty hazy on it, but I think that's because the few times I tried it on Live I ran into this exact issue.  I remember something about hating their Clockwork mobs, but that's about it.

I still play some Redside content because it's easy to be a Vigilante/rogue here & that just opens up more options for Merit rewards...  But if I had to pick one side exclusively it'd definitely be Blue.

My main dislike for it....is that your spose to be a villain....you rob banks...create devious plots to conquer,maim and destroy...yet...face nearly zero superheros. Now i dont want superhero av's every mission..but fighting just some supers would be cool on a regular basis. even if they are just plain simple mobs it would at least *feel* more like a comic book. As is(to me at least) i feel like im just fighting the military of longbow and a bunch of other bad guy types.

id like to see just at the end of villain missions where you arent fighting other bad guys to have at least some red named mob of a randomized super or something. The way it currently is(and was) i dont even bother making a villain i just get bored.

[...] red named mob [...]

Not everyone can solo a red-name.  Some of those who can, have to spend a bunch of resources (INSPs especially, but also limited-use temp powers) to do it.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

id like to see just at the end of villain missions where you arent fighting other bad guys to have at least some red named mob of a randomized super or something. The way it currently is(and was) i dont even bother making a villain i just get bored.

There are already quite a few missions where you do fight a superhero rather than (or in addition to) a standard enemy faction Boss, including every mayhem mission (redside safeguards only instead of protecting the bank you rob it - much more fun).  Just the other day I fought Flambeux in the Atlas Park Bank (I guess she must have heard the call while he was at Wentworths...)

Other than heroes showing up working alongside (but not part of) Longbow and the like, there's also heroes of the Rogue Isles, like the Sea Witch, who you can fight as a boss in a Port Oakes story arc and then again as a (really tough) Elite Boss in Sharkead 10 levels later, and of course the big names start to show up once you hit 40+.  Overall I think redside compares quite favourably to blueside in this particular respect.

Well, I think Mayhem Missions are MUCH more fun than Safeguard Missions. You can be a true villain there and mow down innocent civilians.. Plus you can get a badge for doing it! :) Civilians have the HP of a wet paper towel, one aoe can't take out a dozen  as they "run for their lives" :)

[...] red named mob [...]

Not everyone can solo a red-name.  Some of those who can, have to spend a bunch of resources (INSPs especially, but also limited-use temp powers) to do it.

Pax, I love to agree with you...but I can’t this time.  I think the game is designed so that you can solo a single red boss (+1 lvl Boss).  That is what inspys are for.  On normal settings in the game, this is going to happen.  Now I get that a boss might be surrounded by a Lt (orange) and a couple minions (yellow)...but that’s where tactics come in, to isolate the boss.

You can lower the difficulty so that it’s much more likely any boss will be orange.

Or am I not understanding what you both mean by red-name?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Well, I think Mayhem Missions are MUCH more fun than Safeguard Missions. You can be a true villain there and mow down innocent civilians.. Plus you can get a badge for doing it! :) Civilians have the HP of a wet paper towel, one aoe can't take out a dozen  as they "run for their lives" :)

Did civilians lose their invulnerability at some point late in the live game?  I remember you could always target them, but the first time I shot at one and he actually fell over I was actually quite startled.

Then I used an AoE to clear them out of the way inside the Bank, so yeah I got over my shock pretty quickly.

Morality in a walk.

I might, at some point, make a villain just to re-familiarize myself with things on that side, but after CoV launched I played villains a little to see what it was about and then moved right back over to blueside.

I can't say that there is no appeal, but the appeal is pretty much limited to "that side has different missions and maps", offset by "but I don't want to play a bad guy".

There are already quite a few missions where you do fight a superhero rather than (or in addition to) a standard enemy faction Boss, including every mayhem mission (redside safeguards only instead of protecting the bank you rob it - much more fun).  Just the other day I fought Flambeux in the Atlas Park Bank (I guess she must have heard the call while he was at Wentworths...)

Other than heroes showing up working alongside (but not part of) Longbow and the like, there's also heroes of the Rogue Isles, like the Sea Witch, who you can fight as a boss in a Port Oakes story arc and then again as a (really tough) Elite Boss in Sharkead 10 levels later, and of course the big names start to show up once you hit 40+.  Overall I think redside compares quite favourably to blueside in this particular respect.

Darrin Wade's Arc has at least 2 that I remember: Kadabra Kill and a woman I can't remember.. and his first mission is tough!

Did civilians lose their invulnerability at some point late in the live game?  I remember you could always target them, but the first time I shot at one and he actually fell over I was actually quite startled.

Then I used an AoE to clear them out of the way inside the Bank, so yeah I got over my shock pretty quickly.

To be honest, I don't know. If this was something you could do in live, I would have remembered. Maybe it's an I24/25 badge or the Homecoming Devs added it for fun?