For those who don't play Redside - why not?

Legree
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm a redside only type of player, so I didn't select any option there.

My main dislike for it....is that your spose to be a villain....you rob banks...create devious plots to conquer,maim and destroy...yet...face nearly zero superheros. Now i dont want superhero av's every mission..but fighting just some supers would be cool on a regular basis. even if they are just plain simple mobs it would at least *feel* more like a comic book. As is(to me at least) i feel like im just fighting the military of longbow and a bunch of other bad guy types.

id like to see just at the end of villain missions where you arent fighting other bad guys to have at least some red named mob of a randomized super or something. The way it currently is(and was) i dont even bother making a villain i just get bored.

I always felt it was a shame that there are only three hero groups, of which two taper off after level 30. It would have been nice to keep seeing Wyvern and Legacy Chain keep showing up throughout the entirety of the Rogue Isles. Since Wyvern encompasses Natural/Tech, Legacy Chain magic, and Longbow is general/science-y (a lot of the Wardens are science experiments), maybe a more Tech based hero group that used an ample supply of robots would have added a nice variety.

Other than heroes showing up working alongside (but not part of) Longbow and the like, there's also heroes of the Rogue Isles, like the Sea Witch, who you can fight as a boss in a Port Oakes story arc and then again as a (really tough) Elite Boss in Sharkead 10 levels later, and of course the big names start to show up once you hit 40+.  Overall I think redside compares quite favourably to blueside in this particular respect.

I really do like this idea, that each isle should (or more likely should have had) a "signature" hero or heroes defending. Perhaps the Sharkhead do gooder might have been more vigilante than hero. It wouldn't work for a place like Granville, but for the rest of the isles it would have done wonders to increase each area's "personality".

Well, I think Mayhem Missions are MUCH more fun than Safeguard Missions. You can be a true villain there and mow down innocent civilians.. Plus you can get a badge for doing it! :) Civilians have the HP of a wet paper towel, one aoe can't take out a dozen  as they "run for their lives" :)

Did civilians lose their invulnerability at some point late in the live game?  I remember you could always target them, but the first time I shot at one and he actually fell over I was actually quite startled.

Then I used an AoE to clear them out of the way inside the Bank, so yeah I got over my shock pretty quickly.

To be honest, I don't know. If this was something you could do in live, I would have remembered. Maybe it's an I24/25 badge or the Homecoming Devs added it for fun?

This was added post shutdown. I actually never target civilians on purpose to kill them. Sure, they die due to my AoEs or letting my pets rampage all willy nilly, but I never use powers specifically on them. That is apparently a line I'm not willing to cross for whatever reason. Even my mad or no qualms characters don't do it. It's all a player issue, not a character concept limitation.

This was added post shutdown. I actually never target civilians on purpose to kill them. Sure, they die due to my AoEs or letting my pets rampage all willy nilly, but I never use powers specifically on them. That is apparently a line I'm not willing to cross for whatever reason. Even my mad or no qualms characters don't do it. It's all a player issue, not a character concept limitation.

I didn't think it was in live. Thank you. I play with a friend who will not hit civilians in bank missions. (He also won't kill the guy who gives you the arc about killing his longbow lover that spurned him.) I do it just because it's funny to watch the people crumple en-mass, plus you get a badge! It's not a right vs. wrong thing for me because I know I could never do that in real life.

I really do like this idea, that each isle should (or more likely should have had) a "signature" hero or heroes defending. Perhaps the Sharkhead do gooder might have been more vigilante than hero. It wouldn't work for a place like Granville, but for the rest of the isles it would have done wonders to increase each area's "personality".

A stealthy hero, or a hero undercover in Arachnos ranks could have worked.. Or a psi hero, who most of your interactions with them are through villains they have mind-controlled, could even have been a big arc of trying to actually -find them-.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

[...] red named mob [...]

Not everyone can solo a red-name.

I think the game is designed so that you can solo a single red boss (+1 lvl Boss).

No, not everyone can - even if the boss is the only mob on the entire map at the time.

Look at how many people are complaining about being thrown against the Sea Witch, redside.  That's basically what the suggestion is asking for, in almost every Redside story arc that involves fighting not-other-villains.

Hell.  Not everyone can solo Bosses at all, which is why one of the options in Notoriety is to not face Bosses when solo.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Look at how many people are complaining about being thrown against the Sea Witch, redside.

I'd never complain about fighting the Sea Witch.  For me at least she's the redside's Frostfire - an Elite Boss with a nasty set of powers who shows up at a point when EBs aren't a regular occurance.

That said, where she differs from Frostfire is that he's almost always taken on by a team, whereas by the nature of redside the Sea Witch is mostly faced by soloists or small groups.  Now that I think of it I'm now wondering what that fight would be like spawned for a full team.  It's already easy to aggro multiple groups as you get blown around the map, and with more mobs on the ship...

That sounds awesome.  Must remember to get a team together next time I do it.

But yes, too many Bosses or EBs can be a serious hurdle for some ATs.  I recall one mission somewhere in the 40s which was nothing but that, and they all did Psi damage.  My /Inv Brute took one look at that mission and fled.

I would have no problem with a setup where, on a team (or with the right notoriety settings), a second-stringer "costumed superhero" shows up as a Boss, or even an Elite Boss.

My issue is with the idea of them showing up as a red-con boss, even for players who are solo (and have not dialled up their Notoriety settings).

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I would have no problem with a setup where, on a team (or with the right notoriety settings), a second-stringer "costumed superhero" shows up as a Boss, or even an Elite Boss.

My issue is with the idea of them showing up as a red-con boss, even for players who are solo (and have not dialled up their Notoriety settings).

Pax, are you talking about the lvl 5-9 Sea Witch, as a boss?  Or the Elite Boss version?  Elite Boss, yes, designed so you should have a team (many people can solo them, but that's not the design). 

The notoriety settings, I believe, only allow you to exclude "bosses" from the general mobs in a map, but not to restrict the "Big Bad" of the Arc down to Lt.  If my memory hasn't failed me (and I am constantly finding my marbles lying around in all sorts of places), then the design of the game is at least one Red Boss per Story Arc.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

If my memory hasn't failed me (and I am constantly finding my marbles lying around in all sorts of places), then the design of the game is at least one Red Boss per Story Arc.

... I don't believe that is the case.  I could be wrong, but ... I try not to see Red if possible during door missions solo, before about level 25.  Even orange, I get very cautious about.

• 2 weeks later

Well, since yesterday I know why I don't play blue-side any more.

Too much travelling and way to many "defeat 10 xxx"-missions.

I got 5 in a row. Defeat 10 Hellions, defeat 10 Council, defeat 10 Clockwork, defeat 10 Outcast and then defeat 10 Clockwork again!

Running around like an idiot from Kings Row to Steel Canyon and wasting my time.

Back to the rogue isles!  8)

Ok, I'm a bit annoyed and not really anti blue-side, but yesterday with a fresh hero... just isn't my thing.

I wanna get in, kill everybody, get to the objective and get out again.

I tried playing Redside several times when CoV out but I found the zones to be very bland and Longbow/Araknos to be even blander. Blueside is just more better.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I picked 'atmosphere' for the poll, but it's really a variety of reasons:

- Population is an issue. I mostly solo, so it's not about teaming... it's just nice to see other people running around, being able to toss a buff on people as you run by, etc.

- Atmosphere for sure... even though parts of Hero side are trashed, it's not as grim a view as Redside.

- Attitude: as a friend of mine said back when we played the original game, "If I wanted to deal with selfish, egocentric smart-alecky backtalkers every day, I'd have become a school teacher".

- As others have mentioned, the storylines (while still interesting) just seem a little less developed than the Hero side.

I've also noted that in most games with a 'good side' and a 'bad side', that the good side tends to get about 60-70% of the population.

That said, back when you had to go Red to play Villain ATs, I happily split my time red and blue side. Now that I can take any AT anywhere, they are more 'origin story oriented'. That is, I think up a character concept, then think up some backstory, then decide whether that backstory applies to someone who started in Paragon City or the Rogue Isles. Then create them on the appropriate side, and leave it til later to decide if they are going to change alignment through game play. What that amounts to in practice is about 3/4 of new characters start blue side, 1/4 red.

In my case, it is a limitation. I simply can't play as a villain. I can't get immersed in the char. The same when I try to play as a Sith in kotor. I like the concept, the storyline is cool, the skills are cool, but I just can't.

Redside is my jam.  Redside has the better stories, the better SFs/TFs, the better zones, and at one time the better ATs.  The one and only issue I have with redside is the accolades.  I loathe PvP with the passion of a thousand suns.  I absolutely refuse to enter a PvP zone for any reason.  Yet, two of the stat boosting redside accolades require badges from PvP zones.

Before Going Rogue, I would just go without those two accolades.  Now, I can go Vigilante and grab the blueside equivalents at least.  Still, that's a rather striking mark against redside IMO.

I'm not a bad guy.

I'm a full time Emergency Response Officer Trainer.

I train people to be an Emergency Response Officer; First Aider, Fire Warden and Evacuation Warden.

Peoples safety is my first concern in real life.

But in this virtual world I like to be a little bit bad.

I can set reality and fantasy apart from each other.

And I really like cookies! And when the cookies are on the top shelf and you can't reach them to put in your shopping cart?

I even help you with that!

;)

I absolutely refuse to enter a PvP zone for any reason.  Yet, two of the stat boosting redside accolades require badges from PvP zones.

As long as they aren't PvP badges specifically (e.g., if they're NPC defeat badges or exploration badges) ... just go, get them.  Do it during off-hours when there just aren't many people in the PvP zones.  :)

Hell.  Enlist the aid of someone who has Recall Friend.  They stay in the base; someone tries to PvP you, you let 'em know, they pull you back to the safe zone as you shout "NO PVP FOR YOU" over /Broadcast.  :D

I have a one character started as rogue and went villain. It is harder to put a team together or I would more often. Especially since I gl through so many alts and end up going through the same content over and over again.

There needs to be a seemless easy way to jump over to the others side. Really it doesn’t matter, the missions feel the same mostly. It is only relevant in PVP.

If the devs can figure a way to pull off an easy transition, say a temporary power that will let you teleport to the other side that would be great. When the game was officially live there were enough players on both sides making that not much of an issue.

Excuse me for not reading the 7 pages. I cant choose any of the options in the poll as my choice is missing; I just dont want to.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I just dont want to.

The point of the poll/thread, is to find out why people don't want to play Redside.

I just dont want to.

The point of the poll/thread, is to find out why people don't want to play Redside.

Dont have a reason.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.