Market Bug: Different Items are sharing sales history.

Adeon Hawkwood

I thought I'd summarise what we've found so far about the shared Last 5 bug.

• in some cases the "last 5" listing contains trades for more than one item (see list below)
  • the bugged last 5 listings are visible to different accounts, different computers and on different dates
  • some items have been mixed up since at least July last year
  • it's a reproducible bug. If you buy a Call To Arms Acc/Dam/Rech recipe you'll see it listed for Avalance Damage/Endurance.

I've confirmed that the items below are sharing the same Last 5 listings:

Linked Items
Type Item     Type Item  
IO Avalance Damage/Endurance   Recipe Call to Arms Acc/Dam/Rech
IO Assassin's Mark Recharge/Chance for ...   SO Xenon Exposure Damage Lvl 50  
IO Basilisk's Gaze Accuracy/Endurance Reduction/Recharge   Recipe Devastation Acc/Dam/Rech
IO Trap of the Hunter Immobilize/Accuracy   Recipe Tempered Readiness Dam/Slow

Edited by Gremlin
Trying to fix borked table

I've fixed (and caused!) a few bugs like this in my time. FWIW here are some thoughts about it.

There's no evidence that the code that carries out trades is bugged. This suggests that the problem is purely in the code that creates or updates the "Last 5" list. I guess that when a trade completes, there's a bit of code that finds the correct "Last 5" list and updates it. It's possible that the lookup is wrong in some way. Perhaps its unique identifier is not as unique as expected or the code checks that the hash codes are equal instead of checking that the items are equal. The trading code must perform a similar lookup so playing spot the difference might find the bug.

Alternatively, the lookup might be correct but the "Last 5" lists might have been set up incorrectly to start with.

Finally it could just be something like an integer wrap around bug. I doubt it's a pointer bug because it seems too predictable but you never now til you find it.

Its seems quite likely that a lot of items in the AH are affected. Its probably just not that obvious for most things.

The good news is that it's very reproducible and it'll be easy to re-test when fixed.

I love trying to fix bugs like this. 🙂

Here are a couple of examples I found while gathering some data on the new enhancements on the test server.

beta_enh1.jpg

beta_enh2.jpg

Edited by AboveTheChemist

• 1 year later

This bug is still happening. Any word from devs that this is being looked into?

The specific item I know about is Fortunata Hypnosis - Chance for Placate (recipe). The sales history includes sub-1M sales when I have outstanding bids at much higher prices.

• Like 1

• 6 months later

Bonesnap A/D. I had bids of 100K in for the attuned and unattuned IO. Every day, I see the last five as being at best in the 25K range.

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 5 weeks later

pic6609794.png

Needless to say, I was disappointed my 12 mill bid did not instantly go through.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 2 years later

From the March 12 patch notes:

Fixed a bug that could cause the auction server to return sale history for the wrong item.

This was nigh impossible to test on Beta due to the lack of supply on the Beta auction house. Now that this fix is live, this thread contains a number of good examples to check to see if they are still exhibiting the display bug. This thread isn't an exhaustive collection, of course, but if you need something to check, most stuff listed in this thread should suffice.