Memory Leak homecoming.exe

KatTypeM

Hi Community, I have been having problems with the game randomly crashing on me. I am looking for solutions. Homecoming.exe is having a memory leak. I watch the amount of memory creep up to about 3.5gb then the game gives me a message like below:

07/15/19 @20:24

C:/Storage/City of Heroes/piggs/texGui1.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 1199418, unzip'd size 3145931)

Read failed for file: texture_library/GUI/CREATION/Login/coh.texture

The game ran out of memory and must now exit.

Any idea how to solve this problem of memory leak. I happens between 1-2 hours of play time.

• Thanks 1

To meow or not to meow... now wheres my tuna!

Getting to 3.5gb on a 32bit app would crash it.

What else is going on with your system?

OS, cpu, gpu and all the other particulars are important.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Running Asus Laptop

Intel i7-8550

16gb ram

64x Windows 10

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Its a clean system except for firefox and CoH.

When I run the COH in windows 10 mode the game crashes quicker. When put in compatibility mode (windows 8 or windows 7) it crashes slower.

• Thanks 1

Win 10 + Intel graphics is known to have issues with COH.

I've been running about 3-4 hours and am at 1388.7mb for reference. Win 10 Nvidia 1080ti.

There are some posts about how to work around the intel+Win 10 poor/no open-gl issue - I have not read them myself. You may want to check them out.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

There were multiple things wrong. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Reinstalled updated display drivers manually with the ones from last month.

In services.msc, disabled the service "superfetch"

In regedit, disabled Ndu HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu changed "start" modify to "4"

Those steps fixed the issues, now there is no more memory leak!

• Thanks 1

There were multiple things wrong. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Reinstalled updated display drivers manually with the ones from last month.

In services.msc, disabled the service "superfetch"

In regedit, disabled Ndu HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ndu changed "start" modify to "4"

Those steps fixed the issues, now there is no more memory leak!

Nice catch and if it's not already, then point this out to the troubleshooting posts.

What's that reg key for btw? What's the modifier do?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 3 weeks later

Hi again CoH community, More information about memory and crashing clients!

If you stay in the same map (like Rikti War Zone) for extended periods of time without traveling to a different map (like atlas) the memory of your computer will continue to climb (not released by game) until game crash (~3.5gb). I learned this while watching the memory, while leading 5 MSR back to back.

I suggest traveling between maps (memory gets released) after 1-2 runs of anything that takes lots of graphics like a MSR and Hami Raid.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, KatTypeM said:

Hi again CoH community, More information about memory and crashing clients!

If you stay in the same map (like Rikti War Zone) for extended periods of time without traveling to a different map (like atlas) the memory of your computer will continue to climb (not released by game) until game crash (~3.5gb). I learned this while watching the memory, while leading 5 MSR back to back.

I suggest traveling between maps (memory gets released) after 1-2 runs of anything that takes lots of graphics like a MSR and Hami Raid.

The reloadgfx command wouldn't help here would it?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• 2 weeks later
On 8/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, WanderingAries said:

The reloadgfx command wouldn't help here would it?

I have been testing the /reloadgfx command the past week.

When that command is activated the memory usage drop approximately 100 mb when you stay in the same zone. So far the only way to release memory from the game is to switch from one zone to another.

21 hours ago, Olly said:

How bad is it if the game takes up 1.41 gb of memory?  Would also appreciate any other tips as my gpu temp has increased a lot since the last Win 10 update when running CoH (Homecoming.exe)

During OG, I used to commonly see it hover between 1.25-1.75Gb per instance. As for the heat, yeah...I went through a few laptop repairs over the OG game. :p   Keep the ambient temp low (low -> mid 70s F) and your sys fans set to always on and you'll be ok usually. Might have to do that in the BIOS if it's a laptop. I actually still use widgets that monitor temps, frequencies, etc and with my settings on ultra the temp can get into the 70-80 C range quite easily on TFs. If you're constantly going above 80-90 C, then you should turn the GFX down a bit as well as that's the upper safe zone of the chips.

12 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

1.4GB isn't especially terrible.
Some 32-bit Windows apps (which have a 2GB memory limit apiece) get REALLY squirrelly above about 1.6GB.

Yeah, if the game (classic/old ver) gets much above that then it's likely to crash. Ask any base builder! X.X  Hopefully the 64bit client is more stable on that mark.

• 4 weeks later

Not sure if this is relevant or not but I saw this old thread about memory leaks and MSR and I wondered...

Over at Indomitable server we are just since the last patch having severe issues with MSR being run back to back. We used to never crash but now it is a guaranteed thing and, though it may sound a bit like a conspiracy theory to say this, it seems to be targeting team / league leaders. We had 24 people crash during tonight's second hour raid almost always a leader role.

I was just curious whether you were a leader when your memory leak crashes in MSR were happening back then Kat and if you noticed any difference in the memory leak from being a leader to being a non-leader?

You can friend add me at the global handle Sweet Torment

I created Indomitable's Community Teleport Hub usage: /macro TP enterbasefrompasscode TOUR-5307

All 50+3 unless otherwise specified:

Indomitable: Sweet Torment, Firesoul, Rikti Relocators Inc

Excelsior: Silent as a Lamb, Spinner of Lives, Project ReNew, Mire Monstrosity, Mad Madam Maud (48), Tiki Tour Guide (50+0)

• Widower unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later

This is no longer pinned. Useful information though and it might well be related to my own problems when staying in one map for a long period of time.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2021 at 7:53 PM, Sovera said:

This is no longer pinned. Useful information though and it might well be related to my own problems when staying in one map for a long period of time.

For lower end devices and those using 32 bit architecture, definitely.