Popmenus: the what, why and how.

Zolgar

So, sorry to necro an old thread again, but I'm trying to figure out something about the client's internal caching system?  I tried to take the above-posted costume change popmenu and add keyboard shortcuts to it, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted.  The problem though, is that I can't get it to replace the broken version with a new one.  I even removed the file entirely, closed the client, opened it back up, and it still loads the old one.

This seems to imply that the game client reads the menu definition from the \data\texts\<language>\menus\ directory, but then also caches it somewhere else?  I literally renamed the file from costumes.mnu to damnit.mnu, changed the menu inside from costumes to damnit, and while the new version (damnit) works as intended, the old version is still there and broken even with no file backing it in the data directory.

Any ideas?  Is there any command to flush the cache?

On 1/17/2024 at 5:48 PM, Dread Quixadhal said:

Any ideas?  Is there any command to flush the cache?

As far as I know, the game does not cache popmenus. I've worked with a lot of popmenus and have never seen behavior from the client that would indicate it is caching popmenus. Of course, my experience doesn't cover all possible scenarios, but I'd look for other possible causes first.

The game will pull popmenu data first from the pigg files (for built-in popmenus or modded popmenus that were bundled as piggs), and then from the \data folder. Versions in the data folder will overwrite any versions in the piggs. Is it possible that you have another popmenu in your data folder that uses the internal 'costumes' menu name? Or, is it possible that you have two 'costumes' popmenus contained in one .mnu file? .mnu files can contain more than one popmenu so maybe you accidentally pasted two copies of the 'costumes' popmenu into one file?

It might also help if you uploaded a copy of your 'costumes' menu here so I can see if I notice any other potential causes.

7 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The game will pull popmenu data first from the pigg files (for built-in popmenus or modded popmenus that were bundled as piggs), and then from the \data folder. Versions in the data folder will overwrite any versions in the piggs. Is it possible that you have another popmenu in your data folder that uses the internal 'costumes' menu name?

Interesting.  I wonder if the issue was that "costumes" is indeed an internal menu, and my version partially overwrote it but as it had errors, maybe it threw things into an odd state?  I made a "stupid" version that omitted all the locked options and that works fine, as it was difficult to pin down where the actual error was.  I'll check later and see if I still have the broken version to attach here.  In the process, I also renamed the main menu to "costumechange", to avoid the issue entirely.

• 3 weeks later
On 11/11/2021 at 7:05 PM, Nerio72 said:

Did you recently update to the Homecoming Launcher? The file path is different if so and you would need to move the files over.

Can you tell me the correct path to put the file in? I'm new to this game, and I don't know where to put the file.

• 2 weeks later

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Hey, just came back recently after about a year off.  Did they change the order of execution in popmenu commands?  My voice scripts for my MM Bots play in reverse now.

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.