Popmenus: the what, why and how.

Zolgar

1 hour ago, Pouncy said:

A popmenu will always pop on the mouse location.

I have not witnessed any other option for popmenu spawn location. One option you might consider, though, is modifying the quickchat.mnu file to include the commands you want. That, combined with remapping the /quickchat command to a different bind (it's default keybind is, as you noted, the single quote key) might get you to the functionality you need. If you don't access the quickchat menu options often, you could always stick them in a submenu so that they are still there if you need them, but are de-prioritized in favor of the commands you want.

In regards to your previous question about locked options, I have not run across any locked option tokens for vanity pets.

5 minutes ago, Pouncy said:

So I need a way to get commands that need "" into my menu. 

I know next to nothing about custom windows, so I may be out of my league here, but I can't quite picture what you need here. Can you post an example of the command that you are trying to get to work in your menu that won't work?

1 minute ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I have not witnessed any other option for popmenu spawn location. One option you might consider, though, is modifying the quickchat.mnu file to include the commands you want. That, combined with remapping the /quickchat command to a different bind (it's default keybind is, as you noted, the single quote key) might get you to the functionality you need. If you don't access the quickchat menu options often, you could always stick them in a submenu so that they are still there if you need them, but are de-prioritized in favor of the commands you want.

In regards to your previous question about locked options, I have not run across any locked option tokens for vanity pets.

How does one get to this quickchat.mnu I dont see it in my game folder

An Ounce of Pounce is worth a Pound of Bounce.

5 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I know next to nothing about custom windows, so I may be out of my league here, but I can't quite picture what you need here. Can you post an example of the command that you are trying to get to work in your menu that won't work?

ya forget about custom windows. arrrrrg

but I edited my comment that you quoted and found that I can use the same codes, <& &> they do in the popmenu and was able to get my command to work.

It creats a macro with the appropriate icon to combine any and INSP to that one type.

11 minutes ago, Pouncy said:

How does one get to this quickchat.mnu I dont see it in my game folder

Sorry, I forgot it's normally only available in the pigg files. I've attached a copy of what I think is the current one. I don't have immediate access to my game files, and my local copy of the piggs is a few months old, but I don't think it has changed since then. I'll try to remember to check later to see if it has been updated.

quickchat.mnu

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo
  • Like 1

THanks. 

Apparently I have the older version of that which came with the instructions how to create a popmenu.  When i tested it the remap of the ' key only did the same thing.  so do i need to insert it into someplace special?  Will i need Technical lube?

23 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Sorry, I forgot it's normally only available in the pigg files. I've attached a copy of what I think is the current one. I don't have immediate access to my game files, and my local copy of the piggs is a few months old, but I don't think it has changed since then. I'll try to remember to check later to see if it has been updated.

quickchat.mnu 31.21 kB · 1 download

WOOOO all i had to do was insert that quickchat.mnu  into the same folder as my other menu and it works with ' key and pops in the same location.

SO i guess I am all about customizing that baby now.  TTYL and thanks

1 minute ago, Pouncy said:

WOOOO all i had to do was insert that quickchat.mnu  into the same folder as my other menu and it works with ' key and pops in the same location.

SO i guess I am all about customizing that baby now.  TTYL and thanks

Sounds good. I was about to type out a response with some basic instructions but it sounds like you are well on your way so I'll let you do your thing!

What i discovered is the word "Popmenu" causes the menu to open on the mouse.

SO

/bind ' "quickchat" (default bind)  the menu pops on the anchor point of the chat bubble end of chat

/bind ' "popmenu quickchat" the menu pops on the end of the mouse.

as far as I know which ever menu using "Menu QuickChat" is the only one which can use that anchor point. Replacing the top line menu to "Menu QuickChat" in any one of the files in the menus folder will cause it to become the the menu called on the anchor point. This is the only requirement. The name of the file does not matter.

• Like 1

'quickchat' is a standalone slash command, whose purpose is presumably to open that specific menu at that specific location. One thing to keep in mind is that by using a custom 'quickchat' menu, you'll override the default version so if they ever decide to update that default you won't see those changes unless you remove the custom version from the data folder.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo

Oh ya i see it

55 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

'quickchat' is a standalone slash command, whose purpose is presumably to open that specific menu at that specific location. One thing to keep in mind is that by using a custom 'quickchat' menu, you'll override the default version so if they ever decide to update that default you won't see those changes unless you remove the custome version from the data folder.

Oh ya i still see the original because I put it on "popmenu quickchat" and it now pops on my mouse... if one day I ever need it. been testing the new set up and its working wonderful.  That little tip about the quickchat was exactly what i needed.

• 3 weeks later

Does emailsendattachment not work in popmenus? I'm trying to make this work:

Option "Self-$2M &a" <&"emailsendattachment @Tailcoat Money 2000000 0 0 "Cash from $name""&>

But I get an Unknown Command error. However, if I use the following to make a macro, it works fine. I'd just rather have it in a menu than another macro button in my tray:

/macro $ "emailsendattachment @Tailcoat Money 2000000 0 0 "Cash from $name"

1 hour ago, Tailcoat said:

Does emailsendattachment not work in popmenus?

I don't know for sure about that specific command, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't work. The only references I could find were this thread and page 67 of Shenanigunner's technical reference guide, but neither of them mention use in popmenus. Looking at the technical reference guide, it looks like the subject (Money) needs to be in quotes, and that the message text (Cash from $name) will work without quotes, so those are the only things that jump out as potential solutions. But it's entirely possible that the command won't work at all in a popmenu so it might be a tail-chasing exercise trying to get it to work.

Here's a newly cleaned up version of my Rikti Mothership Raid script.
Been meaning to do this since the advent of the Instanced mothership raids.
This way I can remove the 14 separate instances that are a legacy of the now-dead practice of having a GM spawn a new zone for you.
Now there's just 2 options.  Zoned and Instanced (the Incarnate raid type).

MSRHC.mnu

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

I threw together a small popmenu to clean up the menu bars a bit on my Grav/Time/Primal Controller. What it does is take four macros -- 'Here', 'Zoom', 'Boom', and 'Pull', adds the basic Wormhole function, and puts them all in one menu. The four macros are different presets for Wormhole:

• Here -- drop the targeted mobs in front of my character
  • Boom -- throw the targeted mobs as far away as possible (camera aim)
  • Zoom -- throw the targeted mobs straight up as far as possible
  • Pull -- Yank the targeted mobs as far behind my character as possible

The last one is for pulling mobs out of a big spawn to teammates waiting behind my character, since Wormhole does not appear to generate aggro. The whole file is just the above commands and a basic 'powexecname' command, with hotkeys '1' through '5' for the options:

//

Menu "Wormhole"
{
Title Wormhole
Option "Wormhole &1" "powexecname Wormhole"
Option "Here &2" "powexeclocation 0:10 Wormhole"
Option "Zoom &3" "powexeclocation up:max Wormhole"
Option "Boom &4" "powexeclocation cam:max Wormhole"
Option "Pull &5" "powexeclocation back:max Wormhole"
}

Wormhole.mnu

• Like 1

• 4 months later
25 minutes ago, DarknessEternal said:

How do you get your menu folder to update with the popmenus that are currently in it?  No matter what I have in the folder, it only recognizes files that were deleted months ago.

Did you recently update to the Homecoming Launcher? The file path is different if so and you would need to move the files over.

• 10 months later

With the newer chat range/listen distance options, I decided to give popmenu making a shot in the dark. I have *ZERO* clue if it works, but I was wondering if someone wanted to take a pot shot at it and see if I can do better. Here's what I got so far. I am *HELLA* new to doing this, so if it's broken, tell me where and how so I can repair it for full menu function, cause right now I'm literally free winging it.

//
Menu "ChatRanges"
Title "ChatRanges"
    {
    Divider
Menu "Speak Dist"
    {
Option Whisper "Speak_range 5"
Option Indoor "Speak_range 25"
Option Outdoor "Speak_Range 50"
Option Screaming "Speak_Range 100"
    }
    Divider
    {
Menu "Hear Dist."
    {
Option Near "listen_range 20"
Option Mid "listen_range 50"
Option Far "listen_range 100"
    }
}

(Just tested, it works! WOOHOO!)

Edited by CrystalDragon
Updated with fix!
  • Like 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

44 minutes ago, CrystalDragon said:

so if it's broken, tell me where and how so I can repair it

If it works, then it isn't broken, but I do see a superfluous open brace between the second divider and the hear distance menu declaration. It doesn't appear to be causing any problems yet but it might if you expand/modify the menu so it might not be a bad idea to take it out. Otherwise, congrats on your first popmenu! They are lots of fun to create and tinker with.

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to create a popmenu option that will use either Renewal of Light or Return to Battle, depending on which prestige rez I took on the character. However, while the wiki page says the Authbit, Badge, RewardToken, and StoreProduct entries can have multiple identifiers to create a logical OR, the same doesn't seem to be true of PowerReady. No matter what I've tried, it will only ever check that I have one of the prestige rezzes available, never either/both. Is there some extra step I'm missing, or is this just impossible to achieve?

• 2 months later
On 10/3/2022 at 11:58 PM, Vanden said:

I'm trying to create a popmenu option that will use either Renewal of Light or Return to Battle, depending on which prestige rez I took on the character. However, while the wiki page says the Authbit, Badge, RewardToken, and StoreProduct entries can have multiple identifiers to create a logical OR, the same doesn't seem to be true of PowerReady. No matter what I've tried, it will only ever check that I have one of the prestige rezzes available, never either/both. Is there some extra step I'm missing, or is this just impossible to achieve?

I concur. PowerReady seems to accept only 1 variable/power, processing from left to right.