Shouldn't you be at range?

Atomitor

So I like to play I'm melee range but find actual melee toons a bit dull.

Recommend me your melee alternatives, the more left field the better.

I already have a kin/rad fender  dp/atomic blaster and a fire/earth dom.

And yes,I can hear my super groups sighs of exasperation from here....

Indomitable server

Atomitor, Tarquin, Atomito, Daltron, Fusebox and more tbc

I had no trouble building a Traps/ defender that worked fine in melee as long as I didn't get too far away from the Force Field Generator. I paired it with DP for the joy of letting loose with Hail of Bullets in the middle of the madness.

I am the wrong person to chime in on this: so I'm chiming in. I play a lot of characters at range that others may not. I've got a melee dominator (Plant/MA) , and two melee ranged controllers (Elec/Dark and Plant/Dark) and currently working on a melee ranged blaster (Water/Fire/Fire). With good planning, IOs and sets, and pool power picks you can probably exist close range, although it's easier/harder depending on AT and primary/secondary.

So my suggestion is this: instead of changing ATs to fit your playstyle, consider picking the right primary/secondary for your AT and playstyle. I think can pull off where you want to be in combat, with the ATs you like. 

Edited by subbacultchas

I love my dark/dark defender with a bunch of cones and a couple PBAoEs (damage and heal), as I end up constantly repositioning to get what mobs that remain in cones, get near players to heal, jump in the crowd to nuke, etc

• Like 1

I'm currently playing a dual pistols / poisons corruptor, and I'm really digging the melee potential of the build.  Even at early levels, the combo of Envenom (AoE -Res - Def) and Weaken (AoE -ToHit -Dam) can reduce a mid-size spawn to puppy dogs nipping at your heels.  There are probably better options than dual pistols, though - unless style is a priority.

In live, I also played a dark / archery defender who would "tank" when actual tanks wouldn't tank.  Fearsome Stare + Darkest Night + Tar Patch = who needs a tank?  Not necessarily a "melee" build, but capable of controller levels of safety.

I find ranged rather dull myself, but my recommendation would be double electric blaster.  Stealth in, drain their endurance, zap any survivors.   Most of her bread and butter powers are PBAoEs.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

/Time has a PBAoE debuff that sort of acts like Hurricane without the knockback. My Fire/time Corruptor often stick to the tank. Inferno is PBAoE too anyway.

You can still stay ranged some of the time, but you have a good excuse to be in melee range. Snipes work just as well point blank.

2 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I find ranged rather dull myself, but my recommendation would be double electric blaster.  Stealth in, drain their endurance, zap any survivors.   Most of her bread and butter powers are PBAoEs.

That was one of my first 50s here, it's a lot of fun

Indomitable server

2 hours ago, Papaschtroumpf said:

/Time has a PBAoE debuff that sort of acts like Hurricane without the knockback. My Fire/time Corruptor often stick to the tank. Inferno is PBAoE too anyway.

You can still stay ranged some of the time, but you have a good excuse to be in melee range. Snipes work just as well point blank.

I've actually just rolled a water/time currupter

Indomitable server

Water/ice blaster. Chilling Embrace, Ice Patch, Shiver and other tools since you are going to be in melee anyway. No snipe, again melee. An attack/regen power so you can mitigate some of the incoming damage. Water Burst can be a nice set up for Ice Patch as well since things are knocked down and thus you get more time for Ice Patch.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."