Defense issue I am not grasping

plainguy

I will make a few statements and would like someone to correct or confirm my understanding.

When a power has 2 damage components types like Energy and Smashing for example

1. The game will select the highest defense value between the two ( Energy and Smashing ) as use that to determine your defenses.
  2. Smashing and Lethal are the most common damage types in the game.

Thus having Smash and lethal Capped defense wise  and getting resistance in both smash and lethal close to resistance cap is almost as good as Positional Defense cap or at least the 2nd best option.

Is there another option that might be 2nd best if not Smashing and lethal concept mentioned above ?

Let's do an example. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. But this is how it works:

For this example:

Enemy has 50% ToHit 

Enemy attacks you with a ranged attack that does 10 smashing damage and 10 energy damage.

Enemy has no accuracy boost (to keep numbers simple)

You have 25% ranged defense, 30% energy/negative defense, and 35% smashing/lethal defense. You have 50% smash/lethal resistance and 25% energy resistance.

The probability of getting hit is:

HitProbability= 50% - max (range, smash, energy) = 50% - 35% = 15%.

If you DO get hit, the damage you take is:

DMGtotal = 10 x (100% - 50%) + 10 x (100% - 25%) = 10 x 0.5 + 10 x 0.75 = 12.5 damage total.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

The Hit Part is correct as I expected.

The Damage part I THINK you are correct as well.

The only correction to the Hit probability formula I'd make is that the tags on the power don't necessarily match the damage the power does.  You have to check the tags. (For example, Fireball in Fire Blast does Fire and Smashing damage, but it's tagged to check against AoE and Fire Defense)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Williwaw said:

The only correction to the Hit probability formula I'd make is that the tags on the power don't necessarily match the damage the power does.  You have to check the tags. (For example, Fireball in Fire Blast does Fire and Smashing damage, but it's tagged to check against AoE and Fire Defense)

How do you check the tags ?

On 8/10/2019 at 12:38 AM, plainguy said:

The Hit Part is correct as I expected.

The Damage part I THINK you are correct as well.

I can confirm that the resistance works as described. I have a brute with capped (90%) S/L/E/F/C resistance but any attacks that come with NE, psi or especially toxic secondary effects still hurt. There's a reason people want all the mobs in a fire farm to do pure Fire damage with no secondary S/L components as you can then skip building for S/L Resistance.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:42 AM, plainguy said:

How do you check the tags ?

In-game you can send yourself a tell (to save others from spam) with [Power_Name], for example "/t my character, [Fire Ball]" and then click the created link and check the detailed info tab.

• Like 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.