PSA if you store items in the auction house

AboveTheChemist

I ran into a bug yesterday where I had the AH assign a listing to the incorrect item. You can read more about it in my post in the bug report forum if you desire. Previous posters in that thread have seen similar issues.

So be warned if, like me, you use the AH for temporary storage. There's a chance your listing might get assigned to one of the other items in your AH storage. Going forward, while I may still use the AH for storage, I am going to pull all the stored items out while I am actively listing items.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 years later

I saw another report of this underlying bug, so giving a bump to this thread for visibility.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, AboveTheChemist said:

So be warned if, like me, you use the AH for temporary storage. There's a chance your listing might get assigned to one of the other items in your AH storage. Going forward, while I may still use the AH for storage, I am going to pull all the stored items out while I am actively listing items.

There is no chance of this happening. Things will only get posted if you click on them to post them.

Be careful when you putting things up for sale if you are using the /ah for storage - which I don't recommend.

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

There is no chance of this happening. Things will only get posted if you click on them to post them.

And yet it certainly did happen. I documented it quite clearly in the thread I linked in the first post.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the definition of "bug" in regard to computer software?  Google that shit.

Jesus.  Some people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

ive seen offset happen in vendor, like if you spam sell on salvage or recipes. but never ah.

by offset i mean the caret of next selected item become unselected, meaning you cant spam sell anymore, which is when you notice. very repeatable.

but never ah.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

And yet it certainly did happen. I documented it quite clearly in the thread I linked in the first post.

If I'm understanding correctly, you may have been using a game mod that wasn't developed by the Homecoming team that changed your cursor size that has been known to cause such an issue.

I consider installing a mod, using it, and getting an error to be caused by the user and, therefore, user error.

I don't know for sure if you were using a mod to increase your pointer size or not, but, based on what other people have said, that could cause the issue you are indicating.

That is to say, you are clicking where you don't think you are clicking and/or clicking multiple things at the same time due to the cursor size.

• Thumbs Down 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

you are clicking where you don't think you are clicking and/or clicking multiple things at the same time due to the cursor size.

Epic facepalm | Star trek, Funny gif, Giphy

Changing the little arrow into a big arrow doesn't alter the one pixel that it affects, any more than changing the graphics on a single-target attack to an AoE's graphics turns it into a real AoE.  Nor does it instill in it the ability to affect multiple fields in an interface which only allows one field to be active at any given time.  The arrow is just a visual aid.  That's all.  Little arrow, big arrow, neon dildo, South America turned upside down, it doesn't matter what it looks like or what size it is, it still only affects one pixel.

Additionally, if the existing pointer mod were so badly done that the location of that one pixel affected when the user clicks was 40 pixels away from the tip of the arrow, this would've been widely noticed and reported, as everyone using the mod would be clicking the wrong things in every aspect of the game (badges, contacts, powers, everything).

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

If I'm understanding correctly

You aren't understanding it, at all. If you want to understand what happened, I recommend taking the time to read the bug post I linked in the first post of this thread, wherein I provide the evidence that it wasn't a misclick.

I don't know where you pulled the cursor mod nonsense from, but I wasn't using a cursor mod when this bug occurred.

Just to remind folks that might be tuning in late of the purpose of this thread: Be warned if you use the AH for temporary storage. There's a chance your listing might get assigned to one of the other items in your AH storage due to a bug. I recommend pulling stored items out of the AH while actively listing items.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

You aren't understanding it, at all. If you want to understand what happened, I recommend taking the time to read the bug post I linked in the first post of this thread, wherein I provide the evidence that it wasn't a misclick.

I looked at what you posted.

20 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I don't know where you pulled the cursor mod nonsense from, but I wasn't using a cursor mod when this bug occurred.

I guess you haven't read all the the posts on the threads that you have posed on.

21 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Just to remind folks that might be tuning in late of the purpose of this thread: Be warned if you use the AH for temporary storage. There's a chance your listing might get assigned to one of the other items in your AH storage due to a bug.

I have some items in storage in the AH. The only time they I accidently posted any of those items was due to user error. 

I was tired and/or clicking too fast.

I have never had an item post that I didn't have in storage or I hadn't clicked on.

I admit it that I have put things for sale at a price I didn't mean to, or even purchased things at the wrong price, but I have never seen what you are indicating goes on.

It seems to be a narrow group of people and may be lag related.

You haven't indicated one way or another if you are using a mod to change your cursor shape or size. If you have, then that could have caused some of the issues. Say the cursors click zone is large enough to fall over multiple post buttons at the same time. No telling what kind of havoc that could cause in the auction house.

I recommend pulling stored items out of the AH while actively listing items.

If you are paranoid about it, go for it.

This is something that is occuring few and far between.

I don't see a large rush of "me too".

• Thumbs Down 3

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

You haven't indicated one way or another if you are using a mod to change your cursor shape or size.

I quite clearly indicated that in my previous post. What part of "I wasn't using a cursor mod when this bug occurred" wasn't clear? As of today, yes, I use a cursor mod (and have never had any mis-click issues with it). On August 11, 2019, the day I encountered this bug, I was most certainly not using a cursor mod.

I have no doubt that this is a rare bug, as evidenced by the fact that it has been reported 4 times in as many years. That doesn't make it any less of a bug. That you have never seen it happen doesn't make it any less of a bug. Perhaps it is paranoia to do as I suggest and clear the AH storage before listing items, but I don't see any harm in informing the playerbase of the potential consequences of this bug, especially when the losses can't be reimbursed.

If you want to continue the debate as to whether or not this is actually a bug, please do so in the bug thread here:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/4145-wentworths-assigned-sell-amount-to-wrong-item-after-confirmation-popup/

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I have no doubt that this is a rare bug, as evidenced by the fact that it has been reported 4 times in as many years. That doesn't make it any less of a bug. That you have never seen it happen doesn't make it any less of a bug. Perhaps it is paranoia to do as I suggest and clear the AH storage before listing items, but I don't see any harm in informing the playerbase of the potential consequences of this bug, especially when the losses can't be reimbursed.

What it means is that the bug is insignificant to a majority of the community.

I don't think it is worth the time of the DEVs to track down something that happens so rarely.

They aren't paid. I would rather them work on thing that they enjoy doing.

It's fine if you want to warn people, but I think it also find to tell them that it is highly unlikely that it will happen to them and they don't need to worry about it.

I don't know if it was you or one of the others that said that this same thing happened with items that you no longer had in storage?

• Thumbs Down 1

I don't know if it was you or one of the others that said that this same thing happened with items that you no longer had in storage?

That did not happen to me and I never claimed it did. Please find the proper thread (i.e., not this thread) if that's the new theory you want to pursue.

It's fine if you want to warn people

Thanks! I'll continue to do just that, given that is the purpose of this thread. I'll leave it to the reader to determine for themselves what action, if any, they feel appropriate to mitigate potential risk. And I'll remind you again of the proper thread for discussion of this bug (or perhaps start your own thread):

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/4145-wentworths-assigned-sell-amount-to-wrong-item-after-confirmation-popup/

Edited by AboveTheChemist
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Thanks! I'll continue to do just that, given that is the purpose of this thread. I'll leave it to the reader to determine for themselves what action, if any, they feel appropriate to mitigate potential risk.

And, despite some useless noise in this thread, plenty of us do appreciate your time and effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, AboveTheChemist said:

That did not happen to me and I never claimed it did. Please find the proper thread (i.e., not this thread) if that's the new theory you want to pursue.

I'm sorry I didn't know you owned this thread.

No reason to keep it open to spread your word if that is your stance.

The thread will be gone quickly. No one will even know it was here.

• Thumbs Down 4

22 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

The thread will be gone quickly. No one will even know it was here.

Says the person who has posted in the thread more than anyone excluding the OP.

Now tell us how the thread is of no concern or interest to you.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.