Want a higher res version of a power icon?

Rylas

2 hours ago, Sura said:

Ice Armor!  I saw where you posted you like Ice Armor and followed the link in your signature here.  Maybe Chilling Embrace?  That's a unique icon (I think) and very representative of the set.

It's not necessary to appeal to my biases... but I'm way ok with that! I might have said Energy Absorption was the biggest seller of the set, but CE *is* the strongest Taunt aura in the game, so you get your way. 😉 

JHGf9Za.png Ice Armor

Spoiler
izQbEE2.png 3x9n0c1.png yVuO6Od.png HOCpUPb.png DJFOFjp.png
Frozen Armor Hoarfrost Chilling Embrace Wet Ice Permafrost
XWf1zQk.png ozQSAkH.png EkxRxWk.png 5o5RAMx.png T666DhG.png
Icicles Glacial Armor Energy Absorption Hibernate/Icy Bastion Hide

Edited by Rylas
  • Like 1

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

6 minutes ago, Rylas said:

It's not necessary to appeal to my biases... but I'm way ok with that! I might have said Energy Absorption was the biggest seller of the set, but CE *is* the strongest Taunt aura in the game, so you get your way. 😉 

Thanks!  What's the Hide one?  

Interestingly my latest Ice Tanker is Ice/Electric specifically to take advantage of Energy Absorption.  Works a treat, though of course endurance drain isn't always effective.

jIstrsX.png Radiation Blast

Spoiler

yhmOCAJ.png qn9A9uz.png 86zBV5Q.png m82OFse.png o11fvAJ.png
Neutrino Bolt X-Ray Beam Irradiate Electron Haze Aim
i7bVF70.png BbH6ibE.png p7shjp9.png CCnb65j.png  
Proton Volley Cosmic Burst Neutron Bomb Atomic Blast  

ZT0Oh2x.png Illusion Control

Spoiler

i9GZCPM.png BK9LHiC.png 7kBwl8q.png 6ruEgKZ.png GsgEU8e.png
Spectral Wounds Blind Deceive Flash Superior Invisibility
TVQFOTj.png 3vAFMAt.png xyRnsaL.png rG5U6ru.png  
Group Invisibility Phantom Army Spectral Terror

Phantasm

44LXSbv.png Kinetics

Spoiler

6prGU9s.png I66RBwR.png C9YrlWT.png DLmzAeu.png VPrRFwK.png
Transfusion Siphon Power Repel Siphon Speed Increase Density
6MtwunC.png BO78Vtj.png vD3e2XZ.png cmxoTA3.png  
Speed Boost Inertial Reduction Transference Fulcrum Shift  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

U0AyiuQ.png Demon Summoning

Spoiler

ysJQhll.png 9rQ1MuC.png Q0oNfjo.png UsfBup9.png SFXbcYN.png
Corruption Summon Demonlings Lash Enchant Demon Crack Whip
6f2ff2u.png ypz9kw9.png 5Sk7jcH.png 9DLAASw.png  
Summon Demons Hell on Earth Summon Demon Prince Abyssal Empowerment  

pXBAXG2.png Radiation Melee

Spoiler

WXwjVWB.png os4rI8A.png 4caV0yV.png J0JzBPL.png yRG6Jy7.png 1YgUXpI.png
Contaminated Strike Radioactive Smash Proton Sweep Fusion Radiation Siphon Taunt
V3PootS.png WXw27gA.png lgtxokV.png dXUnGvX.png BrXClP6.png sjEUqDs.png
Confront Irradiated Ground Devastating Blow Atom Smasher Placate Assassin's Corruption

cgXtgaR.png Darkness Control

Spoiler

1LATBOX.png jwXfRsR.png vgcl4pQ.png yIJGl7K.png 9h7wjzs.png
Shadowy Binds Dark Grasp Living Shadows Possess Fearsome Stare
kiq323G.png OQi2WWF.png SteKcCi.png 1DBMmy1.png  
Heart of Darkness Haunt Shadow Field Umbral Beast  

WfHcE0p.png Invulnerability

Spoiler

8cyHfpf.png 8cyHfpf.png 9BrA9qR.png LLhUNsK.png q3xWRZI.png
Resist Physical Damage Temp Invulnerability Dull Pain Resist Elements Unyielding
1Np5MXu.png R6orWsS.png WuXaXPh.png 1XogrAr.png  
Resist Energies Invincibility Tough Hide Unstoppable  

fW5fttN.png Titan Weapons

Spoiler

UshuA9o.png pZP2pbS.png 9AW3cw7.png F1A4ewc.png 525cIIg.png
Defensive Sweep Crushing Blow Titan Sweep Follow Through Build Momentum
m1u8nd7.png FKMcXfu.png 1NwVaGP.png VvhjrOh.png bpZWiM3.png
Taunt Confront Rend Armor Whirling Smash Arc of Destruction

LO58H7P.png Empathy

Spoiler
YZLLFfc.png qE8hUNl.png 6F2bR1T.png azvemxT.png LGoQuGg.png
Healing Aura Heal Other Absorb Pain Resurrection Clear Mind
7Kd81Kc.png tyS5tGg.png gf6pen7.png Be4s4MH.png  
Fortitude Recovery Aura Regeneration Aura Adrenalin Boost  

• Thanks 1

Hey folks! I've consolidated all the sets I've done so far and placed them in the opening post of the thread. This way you don't have to dig around to see what's been done. I'll make posts letting you know which sets have been added, but from now on they can all be found there. 😄

40 minutes ago, Olly said:

Is there a thread for instructions on how to change your game data folder for these?  Also, is  there an Inspirations pack?

Sorry, I don't know how to go about changing out icons in the game itself. Not yet, anyway. As for doing inspirations, I'll be doing those after I finish doing all the power sets. And that could take some serious time.

17 hours ago, Rylas said:

Sorry, I don't know how to go about changing out icons in the game itself. Not yet, anyway. As for doing inspirations, I'll be doing those after I finish doing all the power sets. And that could take some serious time.

Ok. I did some research and I *might* have an answer!!  This would be VERY exciting if it works.  Because if it works, it will work for ALL the hi-res icons you've created.  Ofc it is a client-side mod so not visible to teammates and others.  I can't test at the moment so it will be highly appreciated if someone is able to.

SUMMARY: You need to convert the files into .DDS and then into .TEXTURE files.  Then add the files to the correct client-side data folder.

1. Convert to .DDS files: use Photoshop or similar (likely GIMP freeware will work too)

2. Convert to .TEXTURE files:  According to Google, and this forum post, .TEXTURE files are just .DDS files with some proprietary CoH data on the header.  I *assume* to make a .TEXTURE file, you just add those data bits into the .DDS file using a Hex Editor.  This guy posted custom cursors, so maybe grab his .TEXTURE files and copy the headers from them.

3. Add the files to your CoH folders:

The directory locations should be as follows.  This is based on looking at the structure of the PIGG files:

- Inspirations:   \[TequilaCoH]\data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Inspirations

- Powers: \[TequilaCoH]\data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Inspirations

if this works, would request you add the instructions to your OP.

Would love hi-res inspirations!  Because in-game they are not the same res as all the other icons and look fuzzy using the display I'm using.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, Rylas said:

Ok I managed to test one icon.  It was disappointing as I realized "hi-res" means 100x100 pixels which I then had to downscale to 32x32 to make it visible in the client.  Which then meant it looked... low-res.  (I also tried 64 x 64 but that didn't work either.)

The preceding method I noted worked.  I used Gimp + DDS plugin (graphic file conversion), hXD (hex editor), and PiggViewer Pro (to get the proper file name and folder location).  Your PNG icon was scaled to 32 x 32 pixels, and exported as a .DDS file using default Gimp settings.  Using PiggViewer, I exported the original CoH .texture file (in this case "FireBlast_Inferno.texture".  Using HxD, I copied the header information and inserted it into the new .DDS file.  Then placed the new .DDS file into the CoH data folder (in this case, ..\data\texture_library\GUI\Icons\Powers) and renamed it as "FireBlast_Inferno.texture".

The results aren't making me jump up and down for joy.  Attached is what your "Inferno" icon looks like on the client.  But at least now I know.

Inferno.png.e00f9d33bfe67fb5dbf9b94e508186fa.png

• Thanks 1

The sword icons might not be the best for testing. They were the some of most difficult to infer "artistic intention" from when blown up. The "burst" icon (like most Build Up icons use) ended up being a bit more "cleaner". The ranged icons might be a better test as well. I'll have to try making my own texture files when I can (maybe later into the week). I'll try to grab some before/after images for comparison.

Edited by Rylas

I used the Dark Miasma set for my tests. For me this takes

nothing away from how cool these are for the forums, artwork,

website banners etc. I love how crisp and clean these are sized up it's

just when scaled for the game they are tricky to tell apart.

Fearsome Stare probably stood out the most and when they

are side by side like this I can totally tell which is yours

but ingame it was a lot less obvious is all I meant.

gcIdiw1b_o.jpg

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

Oh, I didn't take offense. If anything, it's a good indication that I pulled off being faithful to the original art. My whole intention was making something people could use on the forums, so I consider it a win. 😁

This won't deter me from trying to finish what I've started. 

• Like 1

Phew. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Also I am wondering how that Science coffee mug came out because

I'm starting to think a Blaster or Scrapper mug is something I need in my life.

Sidenote: did you see the post I made about Mischief (the program) in the Art Talk thread?

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

• 2 weeks later
On 9/19/2019 at 4:14 PM, Olly said:

Is there a thread for instructions on how to change your game data folder for these?  Also, is  there an Inspirations pack?

On 9/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, Rylas said:

On 9/22/2019 at 5:42 AM, Christopher Robin said:

Scaled up the difference is noticeable but at the resolution the game uses

I've found them to be nearly indistinguishable in my testing.

I've been messing with PiggViewer 1.6.1 and Pigg Viewer Pro while trying to help Vanden figure out how to get the tools working for the erroneous icons pack, and I inserted a few myself. Though, it sounds like swapping the header with a hex editor may be easier and faster than dismissing the error message in PV1.6 every time you change to a different texture.

As for appearance, it's pretty close, but some of them have a noticeable difference even at that size. For example screenshots, top is Rylas' version, bottom is original:

PiggViewer_2019-10-01_18-47-46.png

PiggViewer_2019-10-01_18-47-25.png

PiggViewer_2019-10-01_18-55-01.png

PiggViewer_2019-10-01_18-55-14.png

Rylas' versions are less saturated and generally softer.

EDIT:

@Olly: I'm not sure what happened when you saved that file, but that just doesn't look right? I'm gonna test that one real quick.

EDIT 2:

Inferno_Rylas-Vanilla.png

Rylas left, Vanilla right. I was expecting a bit more of a difference between our attempts due to tool and formatting differences, but mine's only a bit more clear than yours. I'm guessing it's due to the color palette and softer outlines. I'm going to guess that it'd look better if ALL of the icons from that set were replaced, so everything matches. Wouldn't seem so out of place.

Edited by Felis Noctu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

Heya Felis Noctu welcome to the best part of the forums. zb7XgP0P_o.png

I didn't try any of the Archetype Icons but I do like Rylas' version better for both of the ones you posted. Moreso than the softness

his seem blended better (i.e. he used a darker red rather than straight black for the drop shadow behind the Corruptor symbol).

The original ones look like someone cranked the contrast to 11 by comparison. The ones I tried were darker colors already

(blues/greens/blacks) so really just subtle shape differences, which were difficult to see at the size they appear in game,

were the only real differences I noticed. Also the whites seem whiter in Rylas' and the lines are less thick and heavy.

Thanks for doing additional testing though it's good to see the results from multiple different approaches.

• Like 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

@Rylas  These are fantastic and amazing.  Are you up for doing 

1.) Energy Aura as a set?

2.) Alignment Icons?  Hero, Vig, Rogue, Villain?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

14 hours ago, Felis Noctu said:

I've been messing with PiggViewer 1.6.1 and Pigg Viewer Pro...

Oh wow, that's pretty cool! Interesting to see some side by side comparisons like those. Thanks for taking the time to test those.

13 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

I didn't try any of the Archetype Icons but I do like Rylas' version better for both of the ones you posted. Moreso than the softness

his seem blended better (i.e. he used a darker red rather than straight black for the drop shadow behind the Corruptor symbol).

The original ones look like someone cranked the contrast to 11 by comparison.

Hey thanks! 

43 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

@Rylas  These are fantastic and amazing.  Are you up for doing 

1.) Energy Aura as a set?

2.) Alignment Icons?  Hero, Vig, Rogue, Villain?

All it takes is a request! I'm about to do an icon dump update, but I'll put EA and the Alignment icons at the top of the to-do list. 

• Like 1

I'm in a busy season at work, so to help move things a little faster (for when I actually have time) I'm going to do a category at a time. And the first full category is...

MELEE!!

gWFaqrQ.png Battle Axe ulyAIjh.png Broad Sword UoiRSDp.png Claws 537YldK.png Dark Melee
ojMs5JA.png Fiery Melee  WDSqt0E.png Ice Melee lOQ6V6P.png Katana/Ninja Blade unU5ruO.png Kinetic Melee
gVntywX.png Martial Arts 4D03x5S.png Psionic Melee 8fn5c8R.png Savage Melee pp2vS2R.png Staff Fighting
oh6wE78.png Stone Melee 2EJchwQ.png Street Justice ZUKORfO.png Super Strength Hq9CrQ7.png War Mace

From a visual/design perspective, I wasn't crazy about what was done for Savage Melee and Street Justice. I understand they're new sets, but existing icons would have sufficed and kept the consistency that's been there for so long. I mean, there's already a fist icon for crying out loud. Did we need to make a new fist that doesn't even look like the same style as the rest of the icons?? Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. 

Edited by Rylas
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rylas said:

Did we need to make a new fist that doesn't even look like the same style as the rest of the icons??

Maybe it was a different artist trying to make their mark?  *shrugs*  Mechanics aside, what sort of color scheme would you personally, love to see in a powerset, (assuming you had total control over what colors were used)?

@Rylas

Out of curiosity, are you modeling the power icons directly off of the current in-game versions? Have you checked out the fixed erroneous icon pack at all? Having those alternatives would be awesome as well!

Also, considering the bits and pieces I've been doing already, would you be alright with a replacer texture pack containing the icons you're making? I'm sure Christopher and I aren't the only ones that like the softer look!

mrb-social2_mini.png.464409b4404c13db31506dbe99d59609.png

Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer

The build planner to make your awesome characters even more awesome!

Into the Night "... and so we went into that dark night, for we knew our dawn would come again..."
~ The Meowcronomicon

22 minutes ago, Felis Noctu said:

Out of curiosity, are you modeling the power icons directly off of the current in-game versions?

I beleive Rylas did mention that he wanted to stay true to the original powers' icons, as they were before sunset...