The Plan for Wind Control [updated w images first-last post]

Hello!

Wind control is an almost completed powerset, functionally working and only really missing completed animations. But, as with other powersets in HC, namely some radiation ports, existing animations could be used. Currently the wind control powerset consists of the nine main powers, and four pet powers, all except one using placeholder animations pulling from Ice and Gravity mostly. ONE existing power, belonging to the pet** uses an animation made for the powerset. Below, I list the powers existing in the code and working, and suggest alternate best case scenario Existing Animation Assets ports [to either replace or add as alternate's to default, if that's easier] to publish the powerset for us all. 🙂 At the end is a list of wind or wind like powers that can also be pulled from.

Wind Control Set [As Is] ---- Placeholder Animation / Suggested Animation:

Updraft [ST knockup] ----- crush / ice armor whirlwind fx for each armor, minus the armor

Downdraft [ST Hold] ----- block of ice / terrible howl [direworlf power] centered on target

Breathless [T AoE Immob] -----frost bite / chilling howl [direwolf power] + time manip heal 'rings' as immobfx

Windshear [PB AoE Slow] ----- arctic air / snow storm on player character

Thundergust [Cone KD] ----- shiver / desert winds [npc power, animation only]

Microburst [T AoE Stun] ----- flashfire / Hail of Debris [Vortex Pet Power] **

Keening Winds [T AoE Confuse] ----- mass confusion / heart of darkness

Vaccum [T AoE Hold] ----- glacier / Dimension Shift OR Shadowfield + ninja sand choke animation on targets

Vortex[Pet] ----- ice golem / Storm Elemental w Arctic Fog or Frozen Aura fx OR Haunt-Shade, base color altered to light grey/brown

Pet Powers:

Blast of Debris [ST Ranged] ----- Throw Spines / Desert Winds [npc power, animation only]

Whirlwind [PB AoE] ----- unknown / hurricane

Hail of Debris [T AoE DoT] ----- NEW WIND ANIMATION [see image] **

Crash of Thunder [T AoE Stun] ----- Thunderclap/Thunderclap

Below is a list of wind related or powers with wind like fx, that might also be swapped out:

storm summoning's gale, snowstorm, hurricane, tornado, speed's whirlwind, leviathan mastery's water spout, scirocco's dust devil and desert wind, Direwolf's Chilling Howl and Terrible Howl, cold/ice's frost breath, shiver, chill, snow storm, ice armor fx, chilling embrace, arctic fog, street justice's spinning strike, psionic tornado, darkness control's heart of darkness and shadowfield [if made base white instead of base black], martial combat's throw sand, time manipulation heal over time fx, sonic's shockwave, regrowth [minus leaves] kinetic meelee's concentrated strike.

Thank you for coming to me TED talk.

screenshot_190821-09-37-46.jpg

IMG_0471(1).jpg

Edited by daveyfiacre
idea update :)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No more reusing FX that were never designed for the powers, thanks. That’s the reason I’ll likely never make a Rad Melee or Rad Armor character. If they’re gonna put Wind Control in the game, they should do it right and make FX that fit the powers.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

But like, if you won’t play it either way (as in not existing or existing using ported fx) then what does it matter. It’s a super cool set and wind powers exist from other sets, so other people could enjoy it. I think the rad sets are awesome, but of course thats my opinion. Yours is valid too 🙂

I dunno how difficult it is to creat new powers animations, but I’m sure it’s a heck of a lot easier to use existing in game assets *shrug*

Edited by daveyfiacre
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Vanden said:

No more reusing FX that were never designed for the powers, thanks. That’s the reason I’ll likely never make a Rad Melee or Rad Armor character. If they’re gonna put Wind Control in the game, they should do it right and make FX that fit the powers.

The volunteer devs have far more important (and easier) things to do than trying to make VFX from scratch. In the meantime, it won't hurt to just add Wind Control with minimal effort since it's already pretty much done. You don't have to play it if you don't want to, and maybe sometime in the future VFX can be made. No reason to make people wait for that time.

Edited by Thezanman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

The volunteer devs have far more important (and easier) things to do than trying to make VFX from scratch. In the meantime, it won't hurt to just add Wind Control with minimal effort since it's already pretty much done. You don't have to play it if you don't want to, and maybe sometime in the future VFX can be made. No reason to make people wait for that time.

Putting out power sets with lazy, hacked-together visuals is not a good look for any development team.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

33 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Putting out power sets with lazy, hacked-together visuals is not a good look for any development team.

Wow. Free game with volunteers taking crap. Maybe someone needs to take a timeout?
Edited by Troo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

Well, opinions aside, since they aren't actually selling anything what other people perceive them as doesn't matter.

Of course it matters. The amount of effort the development team puts into maintaining and improving the game is going to directly affect how willing players are to join and stay part of Homecoming’s community.

Just now, Vanden said:

Of course it matters. The amount of effort the development team puts into maintaining and improving the game is going to directly affect how willing players are to join and stay part of Homecoming’s community.

Be that as it may, the context wasn't about maintaining the game.  With regards to improving the game, you're going to get players that dislike certain additions and it's my opinion that, if you don't like them, you can suck it up or go make your own personal server.  I don't put much flack in "communities" unless they are salient.  Comics communities, anime communities, furry communities, [insert fandom] community...interest =/= community or if it is, it's about as significant as intrigue.

Perhaps I just put more importance on what qualifies as a community than others and see the futility of people pandering to fandoms and their wide, self-unaware and contradicting ideals.  But this is all semantics so don't let my opinion restrict your preferred terms.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vanden said:

So don’t play it? 

• Like 3

well, its not guaranteed, they havent said theyre working on it. my op was just a positive suggestion 😕 but having done something similar with Rad, i was thinking it miiiiiight be possible for wind control since the pool and powers themselves are done and work, even the like set buff of air pressure. only missing fx. and theres plenty of wind and wind like existing fx assets, that maybe its possible, and easier than something like a mish mashed set using powers from multiple pools.

15 hours ago, Vanden said:

They arn't "developers" They are outlaw band of folks. Who use their own time/effort/potential legal actions on them. To keep a game up & running for us. They work on trying fix code issues. But they do this on their dime. So that means if they want to do whatever, I don't mind. (Minus donations for server upkeep). Unless you donated every single time(I doubt it). You can whine off elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JJDrakken said:

They arn't "developers" They are outlaw band of folks.

So I guess you’re calling them liars? Because “Developer” is exactly what it says on the forums about certain blue-name posters like Leandro and Captain Powerhouse.

• Like 1

Just because they got the code & work on keeping it active. Doesn't constitute developer. Sorry, it doesn't. But I don't hold that against them. At end of the day, until they become legit with all this, form a company, work that schedule of actual content/storyboarding/etc...

They are volunteer's offering their time to keep a game up in it's current state with some bug fixes(Not developing. That's just maintenance)

3 minutes ago, JJDrakken said:

Just because they got the code & work on keeping it active. Doesn't constitute developer. Sorry, it doesn't.

Well, you’re wrong. You’re simply wrong. They’re designing and implementing new features, and that’s what a developer does. There’s a big patch on the beta shard right now, they added several new features since the launch of Homecoming, and there’s a list of patch notes dozens of pages long about the changes implemented during the SCoRE years. There’s nothing to call that besides “development.” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maintenance. Plain & simple.  As for Score stuff, that was mostly same assists re-used for lower population.  Now they are ramping that up to a bigger population. They didn't make it, it was already there. They have mostly just fixed things & kept the servers up. Fiddle with some stuff(again already things in the games. All they are doing is changing values).

This all stuff a Maintenance group does any game that goes into the Maintenance mode. Look at all other games past & present that have done this.  99% of it is fixing, maintaining, & smoothing out existing things.(With assets in the game already).  Only "new" thing that came about was the cobbled together Sentinel based on bare bone whispers. Made by players who may/may not understand proper balancing.

Example: Sentinel regeneration is 900x better then it's melee counterparts. That can be said about many of it's armor versions to the melee counterparts.

Also if you are going quote me, quote it all. Instead of snipping out something to make your narrative to fit you.

Edited by JJDrakken
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Vanden said:

No. Full stop. New archetypes, greatly expanded base building, power cooldown timers, a 64-bit client, these are not maintenance. They are developments.

We will agree to disagree. My experiences & yours different on this matter apparently. That's fine.  But again that's all maintenance. Because updating to accept modern computers is still maintenance. Expanded base building is still using same assets, etc.. etc... 

They didn't make the new archetype.  That was done with Score team. Are you saying this team & that team are exactly the same group of people, thus saying it's all one giant conspiracy for them to get back in our good graces after we all found out about a secret server?

That's fine. I don't disparage them at all, I support the work they do. I appreciate it greatly. But at end of the day, this how I feel.

Edited by JJDrakken

44 minutes ago, JJDrakken said:

Just because they got the code & work on keeping it active. Doesn't constitute developer. Sorry, it doesn't. But I don't hold that against them. At end of the day, until they become legit with all this, form a company, work that schedule of actual content/storyboarding/etc...

They are volunteer's offering their time to keep a game up in it's current state with some bug fixes(Not developing. That's just maintenance)

This presents twisted view of what development is. 

It's not an ethereal process by which things you want come about, and core infrastructure / server backend / things that don't involve art assets are just 'maintenance' 

To echo a prior post in this thread, putting a 64bit client to this was likely a large development effort, fraught with complexity, and wrought with that overcome... And you'll never have to see. 

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, honoroit said:

This presents twisted view of what development is. 

It's not an ethereal process by which things you want come about, and core infrastructure / server backend / things that don't involve art assets are just 'maintence'

To echo a prior post in this thread, putting a 64bit client to this was likely a large development effort, fraught with complexity, and wrought with that overcome... And you'll never have to see. 

I see that side of the coin. But everything I've seen(with older games, being updated to modern times). I feel that is maintenance. You really arn't adding more "new". You are just maintaining existing for a modern system.

Just wanted to mention, games take on new workers all the time that then work on parts of the code, from bug fixes to clipping or story writing.  Just because those individuals didn't *make* these things doesn't bar them from the title of "developer".

But that's neither here nor there.  All they have to do is maintain the game and abide by the ground rules they set for themselves.  This means, there is no contract to build rapport through any other means and the OPs suggestion doesn't seem like it'd break those ground rules thus it won't affect rapport in a negative way.

• Like 3