The Plan for Wind Control [updated w images first-last post]

I'm down with having sets sooner than later..."Perfect is the enemy of good"...I'd rather have something good now, then have perfect never, because that's often the only 2 options...

Comparing the work HC does now or will do even if a deal is reached with NCSoft, to the Live Development is a false comparison - they will never have those resources.

• Like 2

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

7 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

Where is that?

via downloading cream soda, and using their manifest. you can test it in their QA server. you can find more on their discord. while i am not a fan of their creative decisions, and placing the control pets into the t1 slot and shifting everything around... they WERE able to do the animations i suggested [for the most part] and implement the a basically done powerset. freaky part is just timing [i suggest, days later they implement], lol but they show how feasible it is. here's a video their player recently posted:

again, im not their biggest fan, and im not saying copy them. im saying, look they did a good job but our servers are better, hey lets do this better. and my plan is in the OP.

Edited by daveyfiacre
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waypoint said:

They sure do love adding energy swords to AOE immobilize powers, huh? I think they did the same with Water Control. 

That's part of their "Telekinetic Assault" set, not Water Control or Wind Control. They're demoing the control sets on Dominators who both have the Telekinetic Assault secondary.

That said... All of that looks uber cool. And I quite like the idea of moving Controller pets to the T1...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waypoint said:

They sure do love adding energy swords to AOE immobilize powers, huh? I think they did the same with Water Control. 

Yeah.  I think it has to do with the time needed for asset creation.  It is faster easier to reuse animations and just revolve them.   More bang for the buck 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

Yeah.  I think it has to do with the time needed for asset creation.  It is faster easier to reuse animations and just revolve them.   More bang for the buck 

Again, the swords aren't part of their Wind Control or Water Control sets. They're part of one Secondary that both characters were using.

It's a bit confusing because both characters had recolored the Assault set powers to match their primaries.

If you watch the part 1 video from that series, it shows Telekinetic Assault off specifically: 

Edited by kelly Rocket
  • Thanks 1

Just now, daveyfiacre said:

via downloading cream soda, and using their manifest. you can test it in their QA server. you can find more on their discord. while i am not a fan of their creative decisions, and placing the control pets into the t1 slot and shifting everything around... they WERE able to do the animations i suggested [for the most part] and implement the a basically done powerset. freaky part is just timing [i suggest, days later they implement], lol but they show how feasible it is. here's a video their player recently posted:

again, im not their biggest fan, and im not saying copy them. im saying, look they did a good job but our servers are better, hey lets do this better. and my plan is in the OP.

Looking at a couple videos, it's pretty neat what they did.  My only issue is they make things way too flashy.  Having 1 or 2 powers that are flashy is great, but it kind of lessens the impressive impact if every attack is huge and grandiose.  The Holy Light set is pretty cool from what I saw of it...pretty basic but unique.  Telekinetic Assault seems very flashy.  That "summon a bunch of weapon constructs" AoE likely should be the big bang power but from the looks of it, there were many other higher tier attacks in that set not shown.

Even the Wind Control, while very well done, is also very heavy on the FX.  If you had just 1 teammate with Wind Control, you're pretty much obscuring everyone's vision with a couple of those powers.  The pet was pretty nifty though, kind of looked like a blend of Lightning Storm and one of those Apparition tornado mobs.

I may have to dig into their podcasts for info.  I've been curious to find a starting point on creating stuff for the game, I've just been occupied by work and assignment transitions.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:59 PM, Leogunner said:

Looking at a couple videos, it's pretty neat what they did.  My only issue is they make things way too flashy.  Having 1 or 2 powers that are flashy is great, but it kind of lessens the impressive impact if every attack is huge and grandiose.  The Holy Light set is pretty cool from what I saw of it...pretty basic but unique.  Telekinetic Assault seems very flashy.  That "summon a bunch of weapon constructs" AoE likely should be the big bang power but from the looks of it, there were many other higher tier attacks in that set not shown.

Even the Wind Control, while very well done, is also very heavy on the FX.  If you had just 1 teammate with Wind Control, you're pretty much obscuring everyone's vision with a couple of those powers.  The pet was pretty nifty though, kind of looked like a blend of Lightning Storm and one of those Apparition tornado mobs.

I may have to dig into their podcasts for info.  I've been curious to find a starting point on creating stuff for the game, I've just been occupied by work and assignment transitions.

so, i finally caved and downloaded coxg so i could see what it was actually like, having wanted this powerset so badly since before it was even whispered about live and...

holy crap whoever did it did a great job. and its really not that bad or vision obscuring. there's like a couple seconds per mob attack cycle, and only if the pet uses its slow recharge power. but its really not that bad, its a quick cast, and its no worry because of the tab target system we  have. its not that much more than a mob covered in stone cages or fx heavy AoEs [looking at you fire shields blegh]. overall it feels really epic, and pairs with storm control perfectly.

but actually, now i hate that i played it. because they really really got it and its about as good as we can ever expect... so now i might have to finish a character there 😕. [my only gripe is down draft's fx being rooted too low on the target].

• Like 1

• 3 months later
On 8/30/2019 at 8:57 PM, daveyfiacre said:

so, i finally caved and downloaded coxg so i could see what it was actually like, having wanted this powerset so badly since before it was even whispered about live and...

holy crap whoever did it did a great job. and its really not that bad or vision obscuring. there's like a couple seconds per mob attack cycle, and only if the pet uses its slow recharge power. but its really not that bad, its a quick cast, and its no worry because of the tab target system we  have. its not that much more than a mob covered in stone cages or fx heavy AoEs [looking at you fire shields blegh]. overall it feels really epic, and pairs with storm control perfectly.

but actually, now i hate that i played it. because they really really got it and its about as good as we can ever expect... so now i might have to finish a character there 😕. [my only gripe is down draft's fx being rooted too low on the target].

I tried it and on some maps I find it very blinding. On others it's great. I would suggest a tweak to the density of some of the effects, but for other reasons I don't ever plan to get a character to 50 on that server.

• 8 months later
On 8/21/2019 at 5:00 PM, Thezanman said:

The volunteer devs have far more important (and easier) things to do than trying to make VFX from scratch. In the meantime, it won't hurt to just add Wind Control with minimal effort since it's already pretty much done. You don't have to play it if you don't want to, and maybe sometime in the future VFX can be made. No reason to make people wait for that time.

Hell for the pet they could just use a retooled dark servant. or singularity with some added effects

This is quite a substantial "bump" for a thread as old as this, but I do feel it is justified. We *need* more control sets, and we especially need a more natural-themed control and tech control set. Wind control is a very interesting concept and I think this should be one of the things that HC focuses on when they have the resources and time available. I was honestly disappointed when Electric Affinity took precedent over it, but alas you don't always get the things you want and that is okay. I think in addition, there was a lot more interest even in Dark Melee revamps overshadowing EA's creation... There is a huge surge lately for air/wind control, and I think this is a great direction.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, Vanden said:

Of course it matters. The amount of effort the development team puts into maintaining and improving the game is going to directly affect how willing players are to join and stay part of Homecoming’s community.

What I would be afraid of, is that if they made new VFX that is not already existing, then we could end up with another VFX flop like what we have with Psionic Melee. Those extremely stiff animations (aside from Assassin's Psi Blade, Greater Psi Blade and Psi Blade Sweep) that look like your character is trying to squeeze his/her butt cheeks together to pinch one off just killed that set for me...which is the reason I do not play the set.

On a side note, I am fairly certain the VFX already exist, We Have Cake unlocked them and if memory serves, they were unique. It's the animations that seem the same. I have not been on that server in forever, so I could be mistaken.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, JJDrakken said:

We will agree to disagree. My experiences & yours different on this matter apparently. That's fine.  But again that's all maintenance. Because updating to accept modern computers is still maintenance. Expanded base building is still using same assets, etc.. etc... 

They didn't make the new archetype.  That was done with Score team. Are you saying this team & that team are exactly the same group of people, thus saying it's all one giant conspiracy for them to get back in our good graces after we all found out about a secret server?

That's fine. I don't disparage them at all, I support the work they do. I appreciate it greatly. But at end of the day, this how I feel.

Creating a 64 bit client is not maintenance.

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

What I would be afraid of, is that if they made new VFX that is not already existing, then we could end up with another VFX flop like what we have with Psionic Melee. Those extremely stiff animations (aside from Assassin's Psi Blade, Greater Psi Blade and Psi Blade Sweep) that look like your character is trying to squeeze his/her butt cheeks together to pinch one off just killed that set for me...which is the reason I do not play the set.

On a side note, I am fairly certain the VFX already exist, We Have Cake unlocked them and if memory serves, they were unique. It's the animations that seem the same. I have not been on that server in forever, so I could be mistaken.

I actually strongly DISLIKE what those animations look like for the most part. I'd prefer if HC developed their own.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:00 PM, Thezanman said:

The volunteer devs have far more important (and easier) things to do than trying to make VFX from scratch. In the meantime, it won't hurt to just add Wind Control with minimal effort since it's already pretty much done. You don't have to play it if you don't want to, and maybe sometime in the future VFX can be made. No reason to make people wait for that time.

And to be fair, how many games, let alone MMOs reuse animations and graphics? it ain't that big a deal