Ugh: Powers that combine two different effects, and you only want one

RikOz

Perhaps its just my advanced age and the inevitable declining reflexes, but ... I'm finding that I really despise powers that force me to sprint everywhere if I want the power's other benefits. Right now it's "Quickness" from the Super Reflexes PS:

"Your Quick reflexes allow you to move faster than normal, as well as resist slow effects. This power is always on and permanently increases your attack rate and movement speed."

Another one is the stealth power from the Ninjitsu PS - if you want the stealth and the benefits of attacking from stealth, you have to also sprint everywhere. At least I can toggle that one off when I don't actually need the stealth.

Dammit, I do not want to sprint everywhere! It's complete hell when I'm in a blue cave or a Council/5th Column base map and I'm running too fast to make corners, or I run right past side passages because I'm moving too quickly to notice them. Or I can't stop fast enough and zip past one group of mobs just far enough to aggro the next group as well.

I had the Quickness power slotted with a level 30 Flight IO, and a lvl 30 Run SO. I unslotted both of them, and I cannot see any appreciable reduction in my speed.

I've never yet done a respec - would doing one allow me to "unselect" the Quickness power altogether, or do respecs only let me reslot everything?

Null the Gull will turn off the movement speed aspects of Speed Boost and similar buffs.   I wonder if it would affect these as well.

There's a specific room on the Council maps, where a slope with a cliff leads to a long series of catwalks with a spawn at the bottom,  I call that the Speed Boost Room.  Time to surprise everyone with a burst of movement speed. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Sorry I have never been able to sympathize with those complaining about caves etc. Ive never even remotely felt the frustration some seem to so vehemently express. I keep sprint on as sop in all content as Ive a stealth IO in it on every build.

I also utterly adore quickness for its effect on movement speed. Especially on hover. spec right you can get hover up to a very good speed that does not suppress in combat. Something a lot who endlessly complain about combat speed suppression tend to forget or ignore, that it wasnt just a nerf but also an indirect buff to hover/combat flight by making them very good options for in combat quick movement.

Not to sound rude but it does sound like your just getting a tad older and losing some of the twitch reflexes and handeye coordination active games like this are made for. Thats ok I sometimes feel my old eyes growing weary and fingers aching and prefer turn based tactical games when in such a mode. My fave is silent storm on Steam. Its an amazing game that can be played at your pace.

Now if they wanted to make it so null the gull could turn off the speed part, fine eh whatevs but I really feel that is off for some reason. I feel people should stick to content they enjoy, power sets they can fully use optimally, and avoid those things for whatever reason be it RP or game play wise that they just dislike for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

Null the Gull will turn off the movement speed aspects of Speed Boost and similar buffs.   I wonder if it would affect these as well.

There's a specific room on the Council maps, where a slope with a cliff leads to a long series of catwalks with a spawn at the bottom,  I call that the Speed Boost Room.  Time to surprise everyone with a burst of movement speed. 

Null the Gull turns off the movement speed if someone ELSE grants it to you.. it doesn't work on powers that you give to yourself.. I would LOVE it if did because my FF/Ill controller spazzes out when I use siphon speed on myself.  (Well, she doesn't spazz out.. it only looks like she does because I suck at movement with just sprint on...)

1 hour ago, Chuckers said:

Null the Gull turns off the movement speed if someone ELSE grants it to you.. it doesn't work on powers that you give to yourself.. I would LOVE it if did because my FF/Ill controller spazzes out when I use siphon speed on myself.  (Well, she doesn't spazz out.. it only looks like she does because I suck at movement with just sprint on...)

Siphon Speed + Inertial Reduction is my favourite travel power. 🙂

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

5 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Sorry I have never been able to sympathize with those complaining about caves etc. Ive never even remotely felt the frustration some seem to so vehemently express. I keep sprint on as sop in all content as Ive a stealth IO in it on every build.

Not to sound rude but it does sound like your just getting a tad older and losing some of the twitch reflexes and handeye coordination active games like this are made for. Thats ok I sometimes feel my old eyes growing weary and fingers aching and prefer turn based tactical games when in such a mode. My fave is silent storm on Steam. Its an amazing game that can be played at your pace.

Nah, not rude - I pointed out the age thing my own self. I don't mind the blue caves at all - I too have always wondered what the big complaint was (though I kinda understand the frustration with the "cake room"). My own complaint is strictly about it being difficult for me to navigate places like that at a full sprint. It becomes doubly difficult when the sprint is combined with stealth - on top of moving too fast for comfort, I can hardly see what I'm doing. In a more "open" map it's not a problem, but the textures in blue caves combine with the stealth to greatly confuse me. I don't recall having these issues back when the game was live, but I only got into the game a year before it shut down, so it's possible that I simply never leveled a Super Reflexes or Ninjitsu character high enough to select those powers back then.

I may take to just toggling the stealth/speed power on only when required, specifically when I'm ready to enter combat. The mob spawns aren't usually so close together that I can't stop and turn on the stealth before I enter aggro range. Alas, can't do that with the Quickness power, as it's an Auto power, not a Toggle.

I'll admit that I'm generally not big on speed. My playstyle is pretty deliberate and methodical, and I honestly enjoy fighting my way through an entire map and clearing everything. I saw somebody mentioning that they like using Super Speed's stealth benefit to race past everything to the end of the map, where they defeat the "boss" to complete the quest. More power to them, I say. But from my perspective, that defeats the point of this kind of game. I saw the same kind of thing in WoW all the time, where it was "Go! Go! Go!" and people's only concern was the reward at the end rather than enjoying the adventure. In that game, people were constantly complaining about getting "dazed" every time they rode their mount through a crowd of mobs, when the solution was to go around the mobs. But no, that would take them four seconds longer and apparently expecting them to go around was an outrage. Plus, I always thought it was pretty funny that people would go out of their way to avoid fighting in a game where the primary activity is fighting.

But when it comes down to it, the "hurry up" mentality is why I generally play solo, and avoid group/team content. Being in a hurry frustrates me, and my methodical deliberation is going to frustrate the other people, so I stick to myself. When I was a comic collector I always preferred the "solo" titles over the team books, too.

• Like 1

Often, I find myself having to step away from the computer in order to take care of RL stuff, so teaming is very difficult for me - so in that regard I can certainly sympathize.  As for the speed issue - they added a walk power/toggle that greatly slows you down, so give that a try...

Just now, merrypessimist said:

Yes, but it also turns off EVERYTHING, so it's not real practical for combat use.

Ah, gotcha.  I wonder if they could make a version that *doesn't* disable all other toggles, then - doesn't seem like it'd be overpowering to do so or anything.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, biostem said:

Ah, gotcha.  I wonder if they could make a version that *doesn't* disable all other toggles, then - doesn't seem like it'd be overpowering to do so or anything.

Nope...because most powers don't have animations that work with the 'walk' animation...its less overpowered and more 'this game has spaghetti code and we've bodged together numerous solutions'.

• Like 1

Ironically, later on the same day that said I avoided group content, I ended up joining in on a Citadel TF (though it was on my SS/Rad brute). That was much more enjoyable than I expected. None of the poison I was conditioned by WoW to avoid! The "defeat everything" nature of most of the missions meant there was nobody trying to skip over stuff.

I did go ahead and respec my Dual Blades/SR character last night to get rid of Quickness, but that led to my ending up needing to take a pool power that I didn't really want because at a certain point, Quickness was literally the only option available between my primary/secondary powers.

Edited by RikOz

2 hours ago, RikOz said:

Ironically, later on the same day that said I avoided group content, I ended up joining in on a Citadel TF (though it was on my SS/Rad brute). That was much more enjoyable than I expected. None of the poison I was conditioned by WoW to avoid! The "defeat everything" nature of most of the missions meant there was nobody trying to skip over stuff.

I did go ahead and respec my Dual Blades/SR character last night to get rid of Quickness, but that led to my ending up needing to take a pool power that I didn't really want because at a certain point, Quickness was literally the only option available between my primary/secondary powers.

You will, I believe by level 22 or 24 at the latest, have to take a pool power. By the time you reach 50, you'll have had to take 6, at least, pool powers. I have had some character builds that none of the pool powers really work with, for thematic reasons.

4 hours ago, Twisted Toon said:

You will, I believe by level 22 or 24 at the latest, have to take a pool power. By the time you reach 50, you'll have had to take 6, at least, pool powers. I have had some character builds that none of the pool powers really work with, for thematic reasons.

Oh yeah, I already had Flight and Combat Jumping. Ended up grabbing Hover as well, since it was pretty much either that or Quickness.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:46 PM, biostem said:

I seem to recall that there was an exploit that was discovered using Walk shortly after it was released.  Can't remember what it was though.