Time is on my side! A MM /Time guide for all primaries. Now with updates!

Warlawk

We all know that time is amazing. It has an amazing toolkit and is probably slightly overtuned. I've been working on a project to compare the various primary sets from a common baseline secondary and decided on time since it works well with everything and is a very versatile and well performing set, it is a fantastic set for people just checking out mastermind for the first time as well. This is intended to be a comparison of how they feel to level and play, not a number-crunch-pylon-speed-test sort of guide. Those are very valuable and have their place, but this thread is not that place. For each set I will present my thoughts, my experiences leveling and playing it and then a complete IO build for it.

***This thread is currently a WIP, I am still in process of leveling some of the builds. Each specific build section will contain the info for how far I have actually played that set.***

Disclaimer here at the beginning. I am presenting my experience and opinions, not fact. This guide represents my outlooks and approach to playing masterminds. It is not the only way, the right way or anything other than my way. Once I am leveled up enough to have all my pets I almost exclusively solo and that will be reflected in my build choices. I consider most primary set attacks to be a trap. There are exceptions but most of them are terrible and a waste of your time that will do nothing but waste your endurance. I also consider Masterminds to be complete and actually ready to play NO EARLIER than level 22, more likely 26. These are the levels for your T3 pet and the final pet upgrade respectively. In the early levels you will feel weak and soloing is often tedious. My advice for early level play is actually to join teams and focus on keeping your pets out of doorways and using your support abilities to supercharge the team.

Important note for all builds. Power Boost is a short duration buff but any clicky powers will retain the boost for their entire duration. This equates to an extra ~6% defense and ~5 ToHit on your Farsight and is key to keeping your defenses and pet accuracy topped off once you have it. You will see a lot of crossover on slotting between the builds as they all have a similar goal. S/L defense will cover something like 90% of the enemy attacks in the game, so the goal is to softcap S/L defense Changes to defense have reduced the value of S/L defense, but most builds will end up softcapped because Scorpion Shield is a pre-req for getting Power Boost which is hugely impactful, and then get Perma Hasten and as close to perma Chronoshift as possible without sacrificing too much. This provides a universal survivable baseline for the MM themselves and lets me judge how the different primary sets perform.

@Bopper has an excellent Guide to /Time which really does a fantastic job of looking at and breaking down the strengths of the set and reviewing each power specifically. Well worth a read if you're preparing to play the set for the first time.

Beasts/Time (Played to 40)

Spoiler

Beasts have some issues with their attack chains and don't seem to have great uptime for attacking. In play they actually perform better than I expected and the set does not suffer nearly as badly as many theorycrafters would have you believe. Nothing about their performance is going to blow you away with how amazing it is, but they shouldn't disappoint you either. If you like the beasts theme then absolutely run with it. Their crits can stack up nicely and ramp up the single target damage to pretty respectable levels. AoE is a little lacking but still better than some sets. One thing to remember is that Fortify Pack will shut down your potential to crit for 60 seconds. With /time the puppers (and two misplaced kitkats?) are surprisingly sturdy and you shouldn't actually need to pop Fortify. You still want to take the power pick as that is what enables the crits in the first place though. The beasts do have a lot of groundspeed so you need to keep an eye on them so they don't speed around a corner and pull any extra groups.

Many people rant and rave about how amazing the MM Personal attacks are in Beast but I didn't really find that to be the case. They have great proc potential, and the cone especially allows for adding some stacks of pack mentality right at the start but I do not notice any difference in play when I get lazy and stop using it. I'm sure it helps with that initial ramp up, but suspect that it results in a practical difference of seconds or less in clearing each pack of enemies. That said, releasing a Murder of Crows (Crows, Ravens... whatevs) onto your enemies is fun and has the potential for some procloaded goodness, so why not?

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.2
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Beast Mastery
Secondary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Wolves -- SprMarofS-Dmg(A), SprMarofS-Acc/EndRdx(3), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(5), SvrRgh-PetResDam(5), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- TmpRdn-Acc/EndRdx(A)
Level 2: Temporal Mending -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(11)
Level 4: Time's Juncture -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(15), ImpSwf-Dam%(15)
Level 6: Train Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Call Ravens -- PstBls-Dam%(A), Ann-ResDeb%(25), AchHee-ResDeb%(25), TchofLadG-%Dam(34), TmpRdn-Acc/EndRdx(34), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(37)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 12: Summon Lions -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(19), EdcoftheM-PetDef(19), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(21)
Level 14: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(40), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(43), AdjTrg-Rchg(50)
Level 16: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Fortify Pack -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 20: Time Stop -- NrnSht-Acc/EndRdx(A), NrnSht-Dam%(46), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(46), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), GldNet-Dam%(48)
Level 22: Distortion Field -- GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(A), NrnSht-Dam%(43), UnbCns-Dam%(43), ImpSwf-Dam%(45), ImpSwf-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(45), TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(45)
Level 24: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), WntGif-ResSlow(48)
Level 26: Summon Dire Wolf -- SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(27), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(33), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34)
Level 28: Farsight -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(29), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Rct-Def/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Rct-ResDam%(31)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 32: Tame Beasts -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(36), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(36), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg(36), ShlBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37), ShlBrk-%Dam(37)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(39), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(39), Pnc-Heal(40), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(40)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42)
Level 44: Power Boost -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 49: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-EndRdx(A), Clr-Stlth(48)
Level 1: Supremacy
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(21), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(23)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(23)
------------

Demon Summoning/Time (Played to 50)

Spoiler

This combo is a pleasure to play. Demons is a great set with a wide variety of capabilities. The hellfire T1 and T2 both apply -res debuffs to boost your DPS while the other T2 offers heals and resistance buffs with the T3 providing a wide variety of slows. The damage proc in T3 applies to all but one of the abilities that pet has, so it gets a lot of mileage. Distortion Field and Time's Juncture synergize well with all the slows your T3 will be throwing around to really slow down the enemies. This set has a great combination of single target and AOE damage. It isn't top for either but a nice versatile mix that is a pleasure to play and doesn't feel lacking in either department. The set has Hell on Earth which lets you slot some of the pet defensive auras and ease the slotting pressure on the standard pets.

Demons do seem to be worse than the other sets in regards to standing back up from KD and KB effects. For some reason they suffer badly from "I've fallen and I can't get up" syndrome, taking a long time to get back to their feet and rejoin the fun. The T3 pet is very thirsty for endurance and will run dry if you don't take that into account for slotting. Chrono Boost has a nice bit of endurance love as well so be sure it's landing on him.

The Build

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.2

Primary Power Set: Demon Summoning
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Flight

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Summon Demonlings -- SlbAll-Build%(A), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(5), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg(5), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(7)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- CrtSpd-Acc/EndRdx(A)
Level 2: Temporal Mending -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(9), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 4: Time's Juncture -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(17), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(48), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(48), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(48)
Level 6: Enchant Demon -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(19), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 10: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 12: Summon Demons -- EdcoftheM-PetDef(A), EdcoftheM-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SvrRgh-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), BldMnd-Acc/Dmg(23)
Level 14: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(25), GldNet-Dam%(25), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(27), UnbCns-Dam%(29)
Level 18: Hell on Earth -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SvrRgh-PetResDam(29), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(31), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(31), CaltoArm-Acc/Rchg(31), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 20: Time Stop -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(33), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(33), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(34)
Level 22: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(34), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(34), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(36), AdjTrg-Rchg(36), AdjTrg-ToHit(50)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 26: Summon Demon Prince -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A), SvrRgh-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(39), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(39)
Level 28: Farsight -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(40), Rct-Def/Rchg(40), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Rct-ResDam%(42)
Level 30: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 32: Abyssal Empowerment -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(42), TchofLadG-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(42), TchofLadG-DefDeb/Rchg(43), TchofLadG-Rchg/EndRdx(43), ShlBrk-%Dam(43)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(45), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(46), Pnc-Heal(46)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(46)
Level 44: Power Boost -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-EndRdx(7)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13), Pnc-Heal/+End(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15)
------------

Mercenaries/Time (Played to 50) Updated for 27.6

Spoiler

We've gone from a top contender in demons to the bottom contender a pretty respectable set in Mercenaries. Mercs was a set known to have issues but has significantly improved with the rework. The pets are now very well behaved and generally stay where they are with minimal running around and chasing. Damage output has been significanly improved and the changes to Serum are fantastic. It takes a bit of investment to get Serum permanent but it's worth it. The Resistances and offensive buffs slowly fade over the duration but more importantly this offers some Mez protection to your pets which is rare and exceedingly valuable. I don't think Mercs does enough damage even with Serum to be a top contender for general play, but it's no longer a dumpster fire and is a lot of fun to play through most content.

The Build

Spoiler

Villain Mastermind
Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3
──────────────────────────────

• Primary powerset: Mercenaries
  • Secondary powerset: Time Manipulation
  • Pool powerset (#1): Flight
  • Pool powerset (#2): Leadership
  • Pool powerset (#3): Speed
  • Pool powerset (#4): Teleportation
  • Ancillary powerset: Mace Mastery

Powers taken:

Level 1: Soldiers

• A: Call to Arms: Accuracy/Damage
  • 5: Call to Arms: Defense Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 7: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 7: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage
  • 9: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen
  • 9: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

Level 1: Temporal Mending

• A: Preventive Medicine: Heal
  • 11: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance
  • 11: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 17: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime
  • 37: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • 37: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Burst

• A: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff
  • 40: Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Damage
  • 42: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage
  • 42: Thunderstrike: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

Level 4: Time's Juncture

• A: Ice Mistral's Torment: Endurance/Slow
  • 37: Ice Mistral's Torment: Chance for Cold Damage
  • 42: Ice Mistral's Torment: Damage/Slow
  • 43: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 43: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 43: Impeded Swiftness: Chance of Damage(Smashing)

Level 6: Equip Mercenary

• A: Steadfast Protection: Resistance/+Def 3%
  • 27: Steadfast Protection: Resistance/Endurance
  • 48: Steadfast Protection: Knockback Protection
  • 48: Gladiator's Armor: TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 8: Hover

• A: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 10: Fly

• A: Winter's Gift: Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 12: Spec Ops

• A: Expedient Reinforcement: Accuracy/Damage
  • 13: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 13: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage
  • 15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 15: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 17: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura

Level 14: Temporal Selection

• A: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 16: Distortion Field

• A: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage
  • 19: Unbreakable Constraint: Hold/Recharge
  • 48: Unbreakable Constraint: Hold/Endurance
  • 50: Unbreakable Constraint: Hold/Recharge/Accuracy
  • 50: Unbreakable Constraint: Recharge/Accuracy

Level 18: Serum

• A: Unbreakable Guard: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 19: Unbreakable Guard: RechargeTime/Resistance
  • 21: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 21: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HP
  • 33: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 50: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge

Level 20: Evasive Maneuvers

Level 22: Commando

• A: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 23: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus
  • 23: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 34: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance
  • 36: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 36: Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus

Level 24: Farsight

• A: Reactive Defenses: Defense
  • 25: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance
  • 25: Reactive Defenses: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 27: Reactive Defenses: Defense/RechargeTime
  • 34: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 34: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 26: Tactical Upgrade

Level 28: Maneuvers

• 29: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance
  • 29: Luck of the Gambler: Defense

Level 30: Chrono Shift

• A: Panacea: Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • 31: Panacea: Endurance/Recharge
  • 31: Panacea: Heal/Recharge
  • 31: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge
  • 33: Synapse's Shock: Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • 46: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Increased Run Speed

Level 32: Hasten

• 33: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 35: Scorpion Shield

• 36: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance

Level 38: Slowed Response

• A: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • 39: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage
  • 39: Analyze Weakness: Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • 39: Undermined Defenses: Defense Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • 40: Touch of Lady Grey: Defense Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • 40: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

Level 41: Power Boost

Level 44: Tactics

• A: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: Chance for Build Up
  • 45: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff
  • 45: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 45: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge
  • 46: Adjusted Targeting: Endurance/Recharge
  • 46: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 47: Teleport Target

• A: Jaunt: Endurance/Range

Level 49: Vengeance

• A: Shield Wall: +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Inherents:

Level 1: Brawl

• (Empty)

Level 1: Sprint

• (Empty)

Level 2: Rest

• (Empty)

Level 1: Swift

• (Empty)

Level 1: Hurdle

• (Empty)

Level 1: Health

• A: Panacea: +Hit Points/Endurance
  • 3: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • 3: Miracle: +Recovery

Level 1: Stamina

• A: Performance Shifter: EndMod
  • 5: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End

Level 10: Afterburner

Level 1: Soldier

Level 1: Medic

Level 12: Spec Ops

Level 22: Commando

Necromancy/Time (Played to 50) Updated for 27.6

Spoiler

This combo is rock solid. It's a little light on the AOE but very sturdy and has pretty great single target. The T3 gives a great variety of control and can take the Cloud Sense damage proc which can trigger on his every attack, giving him a nice supplement to damage. As all melee pets do, this set suffers a little bit from the issue of pets spending more time chasing than smashing, but it was great fun to play and the performance did not disappoint at all. The T2 pets have some ranged attacks so they will have something to do for runners but their big hitters are melee. A very safe combination with the T3 throwing around control and debuffs in addition to everything you have. This is one of the sets which has an 'extra' pet (Soul Extraction) where you can mule some of your pet defensive auras to gain a lot of breathing room for slotting on your standard pets.

With the updates to the set Soul Extraction is now an amazing power in its own right and you want to be sure to get it and slot it ASAP! It's a great damage boost and since it puts extra bodies (heh!) on the field it works as a defensive boost as well if you double pull, get an ambush or just end up in a bad spot. The other major change with the rework is that your personal attacks have a high chance to summon up a specter that will attack enemies. This is great for leveling as it puts more pets on the field and just generally feels good. At 50 I don't notice much of difference when I get lazy and forget the attacks but as a redeeming feature the specters have a small taunt so it can help keep hard targets from fleeing your ravenous horde! These specters cannot be healed or buffed but have a nice high 70% chance to spawn from the attack so they're easy to keep around.

The Build

Spoiler

Villain Mastermind

• Primary powerset: Necromancy
  • Pool powerset (#2): Speed
  • Pool powerset (#3): Leadership
  • Pool powerset (#4): Fighting

Powers taken:

Level 1: Zombie Horde

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage
  • 7: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 9: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 9: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus
  • 11: Edict of the Master: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 11: Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus

• 3: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance
  • 3: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 5: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime
  • 5: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • 7: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Gloom

• A: Thunderstrike: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 42: Apocalypse: Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • 42: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • 43: Cloud Senses: Chance for Negative Energy Damage

• 48: Ice Mistral's Torment: Chance for Cold Damage
  • 48: Ice Mistral's Torment: Damage/Slow
  • 48: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 50: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 6: Enchant Undead

• A: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance
  • 34: Unbreakable Guard: Resistance/Endurance
  • 34: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HP

Level 10: Life Drain

• 43: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • 43: Touch of the Nictus: Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • 46: Cloud Senses: Chance for Negative Energy Damage

Level 12: Grave Knight

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 13: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage
  • 13: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 15: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 15: Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build Up
  • 17: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

Level 14: Fly

• A: Neuronic Shutdown: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 50: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 50: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 18: Soul Extraction

• A: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage
  • 19: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 19: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • 21: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura
  • 21: Call to Arms: Defense Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 40: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

Level 20: Evasive Maneuvers

Level 22: Lich

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen
  • 23: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance
  • 23: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 39: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 39: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage
  • 40: Cloud Senses: Chance for Negative Energy Damage

• 27: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 37: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 26: Dark Empowerment

• A: Regenerative Tissue: +Regeneration

Level 28: Slowed Response

• A: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Recharge
  • 29: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • 29: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage
  • 34: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

• A: Panacea: Heal/Endurance
  • 31: Panacea: Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • 31: Synapse's Shock: EndMod
  • 33: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge
  • 33: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Increased Run Speed

Level 32: Hasten

• 33: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 35: Maneuvers

• 36: Red Fortune: Defense/Endurance
  • 36: Red Fortune: Defense/Recharge
  • 36: Red Fortune: Endurance/Recharge
  • 37: Red Fortune: Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • 37: Red Fortune: Defense

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

• 39: Shield Wall: +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

• A: Invention: Endurance Reduction

Level 44: Tactics

• 45: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff
  • 45: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 45: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge
  • 46: Adjusted Targeting: Endurance/Recharge
  • 46: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 47: Temporal Selection

Inherents:

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• 17: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • 40: Miracle: +Recovery

• 42: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End

Level 14: Afterburner

Level 1: Zombie

Level 12: Grave Knight

Level 22: Lich

Ninjas/Time (Played to 50) Updated for 27.6

Spoiler

Ninjas have a very bad reputation, mostly based on the fact that they die if something sneezes in their direction. /Time offers tremendous defense, enemy slows and one of the best heals in the game which goes a long ways toward offsetting that weakness. Since the update to the Ninjas set they are significantly more durable. That said, they are still the most fragile of the Mastermind sets. They are extremely fast so it is easy for them to get out of range of the defensive auras and just die instantly. This also leaves them prone to pulling extra packs of enemies since they move so quickly they can charge around a corner and make a lot of distance before you even notice they're going.

The T1 pets have just enough KB to be very mildly annoying but it shouldn't be enough to cause serious concern. With no extra "mule" power, slotting is very tight to fit in all the dfensive procs required and I just couldn't find space for a KB>KD Converter. Smoke Bomb has been updated to affect all pets now but has a significant cooldown, /Time plays well with this by giving you some extra recharge! T3 uses Rain of Fire and Distortion Field works very nicely for keeping targets in it to take damage. Overall AoE damage still feels a bit lacking, though better than before. Personal attacks in the set now provide a small bonus to crit for your pets, personally I don't think it's enough to take more than the one that is required at low levels, but it's something! Flaws accounted for, I had a lot of fun leveling this set and have since taken it to 50 to and started casually working on incarnates. As long as you account for the lack of AoE and don't push your notoriety too high while playing solo it actually plays surprisingly well.

The Build

Spoiler

Villain Mastermind

• Primary powerset: Ninjas

Powers taken:

Level 1: Call Genin

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 3: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 3: Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus
  • 5: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 5: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 7: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

• 7: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance
  • 9: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 9: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime
  • 11: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • 11: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Aimed Shot

• A: Superior Winter's Bite: Accuracy/Damage
  • 43: Superior Winter's Bite: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 43: Apocalypse: Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • 43: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • 45: Overwhelming Force: Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

• 46: Ice Mistral's Torment: Chance for Cold Damage
  • 48: Ice Mistral's Torment: Damage/Slow
  • 48: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 48: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 50: Impeded Swiftness: Chance of Damage(Smashing)

Level 6: Train Ninjas

• 45: Luck of the Gambler: Defense

• 50: Shield Wall: +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 10: Temporal Selection

Level 12: Call Jounin

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage
  • 13: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen
  • 15: Call to Arms: Defense Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 15: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 17: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

Level 14: Fly

• A: Neuronic Shutdown: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 40: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage
  • 40: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 42: Superior Entomb: Endurance/Recharge
  • 42: Superior Entomb: Accuracy/Hold/Endurance/Recharge
  • 42: Superior Entomb: Recharge/Chance for +Absorb

Level 18: Smoke Flash

• 19: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 20: Maneuvers

• A: Red Fortune: Defense/Endurance
  • 21: Red Fortune: Defense/Recharge
  • 40: Red Fortune: Endurance/Recharge
  • 45: Red Fortune: Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • 46: Red Fortune: Defense

Level 22: Oni

• 23: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Damage/Endurance
  • 23: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 25: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura
  • 25: Sovereign Right: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 27: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus

• 27: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance
  • 29: Reactive Defenses: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 29: Reactive Defenses: Defense/RechargeTime
  • 33: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 34: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 26: Kuji In Zen

• 34: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage
  • 34: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff
  • 36: Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Damage
  • 36: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Recharge
  • 37: Shield Breaker: Defense Debuff/Endurance/Recharge

• 31: Panacea: Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • 31: Synapse's Shock: Damage/Rechage
  • 33: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge
  • 33: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Increased Run Speed

Level 32: Tactics

• 37: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff
  • 37: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 39: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge
  • 39: Adjusted Targeting: Endurance/Recharge
  • 39: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 35: Hasten

• 36: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

• 46: Luck of the Gambler: Defense
  • 50: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance

Level 44: Evasive Maneuvers

Level 47: Assault

Inherents:

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• 17: Miracle: +Recovery
  • 19: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery

• 21: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End

Level 14: Afterburner

Level 1: Genin

Level 12: Jounin

Level 22: Oni

Robotics/Time (Played to 50) Updated for 27.6

Spoiler

Bots used to be considered one of, if not the strongest set and for good reason. After the rework it is still a good set but no longer top of the pile. Bots have innate defense through T2 defense boosting forcefield bubbles as well as sporting hefty -regen and aoe from the T3 pet. The rework moved the -regen out of your T3 pet and into the personal attacks which I consider a pretty major nerf. During leveling you will find AoE damage a bit lacking until your level 26 upgrade turns your T3 bot into a monster. This set is very prone to feeling weak in the early levels but really blooms in the mid levels. The biggest flaw is that the T3 has a tendency to lay down a burn patch and then knock all the targets out of said burn patch. The build listed below has the KB>KD Conversion in T3 as well as the AoE patron immobilize to minimize the stray KB from the other pets. T1 and T2 each have a single attack that has a chance (30% and 40%) to KB and are already slot starved so I'm not willing to waste a slot on a KB conversion there.

This was actually the first character I rolled and leveled returning to CoH on the HC servers. I played it with just basic IOs and a couple of super cheapo sets while leveling and it was still a pleasure to run and offered fantastic performance for such budget slotting.

There is some flex room in the slotting here. You can easily swap out Time Stop for Temporal Selection and this gives you four slots to spread around. You can also pull slots out of Slowed Response if you want to trick out a different power.

The Build

Spoiler

Villain Mastermind

• Primary powerset: Robotics
  • Pool powerset (#1): Leadership
  • Pool powerset (#2): Flight

Powers taken:

Level 1: Battle Drones

• 9: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • 11: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 11: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura
  • 17: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance
  • 23: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen

• 3: Panacea: Endurance/Recharge
  • 3: Panacea: Heal/Recharge
  • 5: Panacea: Heal/Endurance/Recharge
  • 5: Panacea: Heal

Level 2: Pulse Rifle Burst

• 48: Apocalypse: Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • 50: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • 50: Explosive Strike: Chance for Smashing Damage
  • 50: Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge

• A: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • 42: Dark Watcher's Despair: Recharge/Endurance
  • 42: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • 42: Dark Watcher's Despair: To Hit Debuff

Level 6: Equip Robot

• A: Unbreakable Guard: +Max HP

Level 8: Maneuvers

• 43: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance
  • 43: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 10: Assault

Level 12: Protector Bots

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 13: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage
  • 15: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus
  • 15: Edict of the Master: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 17: Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus

Level 14: Tactics

• A: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff
  • 39: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 40: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge
  • 40: Adjusted Targeting: Endurance/Recharge
  • 40: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 16: Hover

• 48: Shield Wall: +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 18: Maintenance Drone

• 19: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance
  • 19: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 21: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime
  • 21: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • 23: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 20: Time Stop

• A: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 43: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 46: Neuronic Shutdown: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 46: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage
  • 48: Gladiator's Net: Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 22: Assault Bot

• 29: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 33: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 34: Overwhelming Force: Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • 34: Call to Arms: Defense Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 34: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

• 27: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 29: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 26: Upgrade Robot

• A: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Defense Debuff
  • 36: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Recharge
  • 37: Shield Breaker: Defense Debuff/Endurance/Recharge
  • 37: Shield Breaker: Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • 37: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage
  • 39: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff

• A: Synapse's Shock: Damage/Accuracy/Endurance
  • 31: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge
  • 31: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Increased Run Speed
  • 31: Miracle: Endurance/Recharge
  • 33: Miracle: Heal/Recharge
  • 33: Miracle: Heal/Endurance/Recharge

Level 32: Fly

• 36: Luck of the Gambler: Defense/Endurance
  • 36: Luck of the Gambler: Defense

Level 38: Hasten

• 39: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 44: Web Envelope

• A: Gravitational Anchor: Chance for Hold
  • 45: Gravitational Anchor: Immobilize/Recharge
  • 45: Gravitational Anchor: Immobilize/Recharge/Accuracy
  • 45: Gravitational Anchor: Recharge/Accuracy
  • 46: Gravitational Anchor: Immobilize/Endurance

Level 47: Evasive Maneuvers

Inherents:

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• 7: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • 9: Miracle: +Recovery

• 7: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End

Level 32: Afterburner

Level 1: Battle Drone

Level 12: Protector Bot

Level 22: Assault Bot

------------

Thugs/Time (Played to 50) Updated for 27.6

Spoiler

A strong finish with Thugs. This set is a breeze to play and offers excellent damage of both single target and AoE varieties. There is a particularly interesting interaction here in that your T2 has tactics (which only affects MM pets, not players) and you can slot the Gausian chance for build up proc into them. The proc seems to have a chance to trigger based on the number of targets tactics is buffing. Since you will always have a total of 6 pets out it is buffing 5 other targets and has a fairly high proc rate, you will see spikes in this proc rate when you cast Gang War as it will buff them as well. Gang war also acts as a mule for your pet aura sets and eases a lot of the pressure on your slotting for the normal pets.

The only real downside to Thugs is that the Arsonist has a serious deathwish. Due to his powers and AI he will often close to melee faster than your T3 melee pet does and works quite hard to get himself killed. Using the build posted here I was able to solo Adamastor at level 41 with no temporary powers and no pet deaths aside from Posse (Gang War). Once I got the final upgrade at level 32 I set it to x8 notoriety and ran that against all factions. Solod everything including AVs through the Tina Mac and Maria Jenkins arcs, it was easy mode.

Not much has changed here aside from the reduced level requirements for powers and some new IO sets being available to change up the slotting. Still a powerful build that will treat you right.

The Build

Spoiler

Villain Mastermind

• Primary powerset: Thugs
  • Pool powerset (#4): Teleportation

Powers taken:

Level 1: Call Thugs

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage
  • 7: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen
  • 9: Edict of the Master: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 9: Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus
  • 11: Blood Mandate: Accuracy
  • 11: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

• 3: Preventive Medicine: Heal/Endurance
  • 3: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 5: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime
  • 5: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • 7: Preventive Medicine: Chance for +Absorb

Level 2: Dual Wield

• 43: Apocalypse: Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • 45: Gladiator's Javelin: Chance of Damage(Toxic)
  • 45: Explosive Strike: Chance for Smashing Damage
  • 45: Force Feedback: Chance for +Recharge

• 43: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 50: Ice Mistral's Torment: Damage/Slow
  • 50: Ice Mistral's Torment: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 50: Impeded Swiftness: Chance of Damage(Smashing)

Level 6: Equip Thugs

Level 10: Fly

• A: Blessing of the Zephyr: Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 12: Call Enforcer

• 13: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • 15: Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus
  • 15: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff
  • 17: Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control: Chance for Build Up

Level 14: Evasive Maneuvers

• A: Gladiator's Net: Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • 46: Gladiator's Net: Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • 46: Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage
  • 46: Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • 48: Neuronic Shutdown: Chance of Damage(Psionic)

Level 18: Gang War

• 19: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • 19: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • 21: Superior Command of the Mastermind: Recharge/Pet +AoE Defense Aura
  • 21: Call to Arms: Defense Bonus Aura for Pets
  • 27: Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus Aura for Pets

Level 20: Maneuvers

• 29: Red Fortune: Defense/Endurance
  • 29: Red Fortune: Defense/Recharge
  • 31: Red Fortune: Endurance/Recharge
  • 31: Red Fortune: Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • 31: Red Fortune: Defense

Level 22: Call Bruiser

• A: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Damage/Endurance
  • 23: Superior Mark of Supremacy: Accuracy/Endurance
  • 23: Blood Mandate: Accuracy/Damage
  • 25: Soulbound Allegiance: Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • 25: Soulbound Allegiance: Chance for Build Up
  • 27: Explosive Strike: Chance for Smashing Damage

• 37: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance
  • 37: Reactive Defenses: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 37: Reactive Defenses: Defense/RechargeTime
  • 39: Reactive Defenses: Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 39: Reactive Defenses: Scaling Resist Damage

Level 26: Upgrade Equipment

• 40: Shield Breaker: Chance for Lethal Damage
  • 40: Analyze Weakness: Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • 40: Achilles' Heel: Chance for Res Debuff
  • 42: Touch of Lady Grey: Defense Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • 42: Touch of Lady Grey: Chance for Negative Damage

• A: Preventive Medicine: Endurance/RechargeTime
  • 34: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime
  • 34: Preventive Medicine: Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • 36: Synapse's Shock: EndMod
  • 36: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Recharge
  • 36: Synapse's Shock: EndMod/Increased Run Speed

Level 32: Tactics

• A: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff
  • 33: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • 33: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance/Recharge
  • 33: Adjusted Targeting: Endurance/Recharge
  • 34: Adjusted Targeting: To Hit Buff/Endurance

Level 38: Hasten

• 39: Invention: Recharge Reduction

Level 44: Temporal Selection

Level 47: Vengeance

Level 49: Assault

Inherents:

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• (Empty)

• 17: Numina's Convalesence: +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • 42: Miracle: +Recovery

• 43: Performance Shifter: Chance for +End

Level 10: Afterburner

Level 1: Punk

Level 1: Arsonist

Level 12: Enforcer

Level 22: Bruiser

Level 22: Bruiser's Fury

For any prospective new Mastermind players trying out the AT I highly reccommend the Numpad bind controls listed in my signature. I then program my extra mouse buttons to trigger the most commonly used binds but I like having the full set available for when I really want to finesse something.

I am open to any questions or commentary!

Mastermind (Ninjas - Time Manipulation).mbd

Mastermind (Mercenaries - Time Manipulation).mbd

Mastermind (Robotics - Time Manipulation).mbd

Mastermind (Necromancy - Time Manipulation).mbd Mastermind (Thugs - Time Manipulation).mbd

Edited by Warlawk
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 9
  • Thumbs Up 1

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

@Zen Warlawk on Indomitable, @Warlawk#1697 in discord.

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

That is some serious dedication to a secondary!

I took nin/time to maxed(?) incarnate back on live, and it was quite strong, strong enough that playing that you might not ever consider ninja/ to be an underperforming set - /time does a great job of shoring up most of the weaknesses (letting you defcap, I think, plus the heal over time is way better than a flat heal for them) and enhancing strengths (stacking -res with the -res proc, etc.).

My first mm on HC was beast/time and I've just hit incarnate range on her.  Moving through the DA content with no issues.  Beasts are pretty much like sturdier ninjas with less aoe, so /time naturally compliments them as well.

I agree with your implied point that /mace is THE epic/patron pool to go with /time, due to Power Boost.  This is unfortunate, as it's generally so much better than the other options that diversity is discouraged.    Hoping for an epic overhaul someday (see my suggestion post ; ) ).

Nice work. I noticed you also posted this in the guides section. Since this is already stickied in the Mastermind section, you might want to remove the other post to consolidate discussion into a centralized location.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

1 hour ago, Justisaur said:

So I take it Thugs was your favorite/best based on the comments?

Thugs was the best all arounder during the leveling process I think and offered the smoothest performance. I think I actually like Demons better but that's thematic more than anything else. Between Bots/Thugs/Demons it would be tough to pick a top performer as they all have slightly different quirks.

46 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I noticed you also posted this in the guides section. Since this is already stickied in the Mastermind section, you might want to remove the other post to consolidate discussion into a centralized location.

Cross posted by suggestion of CR actually so I think I'll just let it be for the moment. Actually, would you mind if I threw a link to your time mini-guide in the OP?

Numpad binds for Masterminds - A collection of Farming focused builds - MM /Time guide for all primaries

Currently struggling with mostly recovered from health problems. Gaming time nonexistent inconsistent.

5 minutes ago, Warlawk said:

Cross posted by suggestion of CR actually so I think I'll just let it be for the moment. Actually, would you mind if I threw a link to your time mini-guide in the OP?

I don't mind at all. 

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Leveling a Bots/Times was a pleasant surprise (other than the 3rd drone, that I named LeeroyBot, adopting the Thug Arsonist personality early on) and just got better & better, Tankermind'ing long before I got Scorpion Shield...but, I honestly wish I would've leveled it as a Thugs/Time instead.  The easy slows and TH-Debuffs are missed playing my Thugs/Kin MM; she's a blast on teams but, solo-wise, it's hard to resist the temptation to go Mace mastery again for the early AoE immobilize, even with it's horrid activation time. 

[Edit: I also forgot to mention that Thugs also gives you one less pet to have to slot a KB-->KD IO in before you get that AoE Immobilize. 😕 ]

Edited by synfoola

thank you for the post and the link. 

I was trying to grasp my head around time power set and this will help me understand it.

I am a big traps guy and I am trying to get out of my comfort zone. 

1 hour ago, ParaBruce said:

Hey, @Warlawk, a question about the robots/time build: why both Super Speed and Flight? Fine powers, both, but do I really need them both? 🙂

Nope, it was more an issue of not needing anything specifically in that spot. It's already got 5 lotgs, perma chrono shift (and thus perma hasten). It's going to be over s/l cap once your probot throws a bubble on you... it pretty much hit all the boxes I wanted to check for the build so I needed something there that would give value out of a single slot. That one power choice slots the 20% slow resist IO as well as combining with stealth in celerity to let you ghost missions if you want to.

Really, it's a flex spot. If you wanted something else there it's not going to hurt the build to do that. Hell, it's got a power pool still wide open as well so you could grab TP friend or something if that floats your boat.

• Like 1

I'd strongly recommend against Overwhelming Force in your Assault Bot. In my experience, he'll throw enemies in all directions with that still. Only Sudden Acceleration actually completely stops his Knockbacks. I'd also recommend SA in both other summons, because they too do knockback quite frequently in my experience, and knockback works against Bots' damage moreso than other sets even. Bots is heavily dependent on keeping the enemies clumped together for damage output.

Here's my Bots/Time. It's soft-capped (Overcapped, actually) on positionals and types, except for Psionic, a bit heftier S/L resists, fully soft-caps the bots (Incarnate caps all of them except the Protectors, when you use Power Boost before Farsight), and dishes excellent damage in my experience. Three unique -recharge procs, one of which is slotted in two separate powers, mean this build can generally seriously hamper even AVs' attack rates. I have basically no reservations in recommending this build. I've soloed TFs, AVs, and GMs with it.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.3

Primary Power Set: Robotics
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Battle Drones -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef(5), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(5), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(7)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Temporal Mending -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(11), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(25), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 4: Time's Juncture -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(7), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(9), DarWtcDsp-Slow%(9), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(11)
Level 6: Equip Robot -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(31), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(34), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36), RedFrt-Def(36), RedFrt-EndRdx(36)
Level 10: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 12: Protector Bots -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(13), DefBuff-I(13), DefBuff-I(15), EdcoftheM-PetDef(15), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(17)
Level 14: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(46), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--Build%(48)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(17), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(19), BslGaz-Slow%(19), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(21), Lck-%Hold(21)
Level 18: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(43)
Level 20: Time Stop -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(42), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(42), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(43), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(43)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(37), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), RedFrt-Def(40), RedFrt-EndRdx(42)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Assault Bot -- SprMarofS-Dmg(A), SprMarofS-Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen(27), SvrRgh-PetResDam(29), SlbAll-Build%(29), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(31)
Level 28: Farsight -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(33), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Rct-Def/Rchg(33), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Rct-ResDam%(34)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 32: Upgrade Robot -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Web Envelope -- GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A), GrvAnc-Acc/Rchg(45), GrvAnc-Immob/Rchg(45), GrvAnc-Immob/EndRdx(45), GrvAnc-Hold%(46)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(39), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(39), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(39), EndMod-I(40), EndMod-I(40)
Level 41: Slowed Response -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 44: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(50)
------------

• Like 2

Thanks for submitting the build, looks like a great alternative. As I said bots/time was my first character coming back to HC so I didn't have most of the IOs for the leveling experience. There are so many resources out there for bots I didn't invest a huge amount of time into the build so it's likely this is a better build.

However, this:

30 minutes ago, kelly Rocket said:

I'd strongly recommend against Overwhelming Force in your Assault Bot. In my experience, he'll throw enemies in all directions with that still. Only Sudden Acceleration actually completely stops his Knockbacks.

is factually incorrect. In there interest of testing I logged in and ran a mission with nothing but Assault Bot summoned while running the Overwhelming Force IO. Lots of KD, not a single instance of KB.

• Like 1

Well I've literally experienced it. Put Overwhelming Force on the Assault Bot, was seeing knockback left and right (And I had Sudden Acceleration on the others, so it wasn't them, and I was playing on +4/x8 so it wasn't a low level target problem).

I noticed whenever the Assault Bot used his Incendiary Swarm Missiles, they'd cause knockback. And yes, the Assault Bot had been resummoned. This went on for a couple of days before I got sick of it and swapped the Sudden Acceleration from the Battle Drones to the Assault Bot, and that stopped the Assault Bot causing knockback, but now the Battle Drones were doing it (Albeit significantly less than the Assault Bot was).

So I bought another Sudden Acceleration and put it in the Battle Drones and it fixed the problem and I've not had it since.

You can look here and see my bug report on it, and others who replied that they were having the same issue. There are other posts in the bug reports forum on it as well.

3 hours ago, Warlawk said:

Nope, it was more an issue of not needing anything specifically in that spot. It's already got 5 lotgs, perma chrono shift (and thus perma hasten). It's going to be over s/l cap once your probot throws a bubble on you... it pretty much hit all the boxes I wanted to check for the build so I needed something there that would give value out of a single slot. That one power choice slots the 20% slow resist IO as well as combining with stealth in celerity to let you ghost missions if you want to.

Really, it's a flex spot. If you wanted something else there it's not going to hurt the build to do that. Hell, it's got a power pool still wide open as well so you could grab TP friend or something if that floats your boat.

Great, thank you!

5 hours ago, kelly Rocket said:

Well I've literally experienced it. Put Overwhelming Force on the Assault Bot, was seeing knockback left and right (And I had Sudden Acceleration on the others, so it wasn't them, and I was playing on +4/x8 so it wasn't a low level target problem).

I noticed whenever the Assault Bot used his Incendiary Swarm Missiles, they'd cause knockback. And yes, the Assault Bot had been resummoned. This went on for a couple of days before I got sick of it and swapped the Sudden Acceleration from the Battle Drones to the Assault Bot, and that stopped the Assault Bot causing knockback, but now the Battle Drones were doing it (Albeit significantly less than the Assault Bot was).

So I bought another Sudden Acceleration and put it in the Battle Drones and it fixed the problem and I've not had it since.

You can look here and see my bug report on it, and others who replied that they were having the same issue. There are other posts in the bug reports forum on it as well.

I believe it's happening, and I believe you've seen it. Your original post presented it as an issue tied to Assault Bot specifically slotting OF, though that's likely just a side effect of the language since that's where I have it slotted. My first thought was the same as yours in the bug report and that it's an issue of stacking magnitude. From what you've described and my own test of running him solo it looks like it need an outside source to stack with however.

Looking over your slotting in general I must admit I'm not thrilled with the extremely low combat slotting on Probots (I know they aren't huge DPS, but...) as well as the complete lack of accuracy slotting on the Assault Bot.

I think I'm going to revisit my own bots/time and see how much I'm noticing the issues you're describing this weekend. I do appreciate the feedback though!

2 hours ago, Warlawk said:

looks like it need an outside source to stack with

KnockDOWN ... when stacked ... turns into KnockBACK.

This is because KnockDOWN is a "subset" condition of KnockBACK, rather than being its own unique thingy.

So yes, if you stack enough KnockDOWN together in too short a time frame, you're going to get KnockBACK no matter what.  It's just the way the math crumbles (see: cookies versus empires).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

3 hours ago, Redlynne said:

KnockDOWN ... when stacked ... turns into KnockBACK.

This is because KnockDOWN is a "subset" condition of KnockBACK, rather than being its own unique thingy.

So yes, if you stack enough KnockDOWN together in too short a time frame, you're going to get KnockBACK no matter what.  It's just the way the math crumbles (see: cookies versus empires).

Well, I know how the mechanics work, I ran into the issue on burn with the winter set by accident. I was more referring to the specifics of this instance where Assault Bot does not trigger it while solo solo and needs an outside source to stack with for it to be an issue.

Edited by Warlawk

9 hours ago, Warlawk said:

I believe it's happening, and I believe you've seen it. Your original post presented it as an issue tied to Assault Bot specifically slotting OF, though that's likely just a side effect of the language since that's where I have it slotted. My first thought was the same as yours in the bug report and that it's an issue of stacking magnitude. From what you've described and my own test of running him solo it looks like it need an outside source to stack with however.

Looking over your slotting in general I must admit I'm not thrilled with the extremely low combat slotting on Probots (I know they aren't huge DPS, but...) as well as the complete lack of accuracy slotting on the Assault Bot.

I think I'm going to revisit my own bots/time and see how much I'm noticing the issues you're describing this weekend. I do appreciate the feedback though!

I find the Assault Bot rarely if ever misses with the slotting I'm using. Between Supremacy, Tactics, and the 45% (!!!) accuracy bonus I'm getting from Set Bonuses, he doesn't seem to need any additional slotting.

And I mean, if they wander out of Supremacy range they're dead anyway as all the Auras drop, Maneuvers drops, etc.

10 minutes ago, kelly Rocket said:

45% (!!!) accuracy bonus I'm getting from Set Bonuses

Interesting to hear that he doesn't miss but set bonuses don't apply to your pets.

EDIT: As an aside I put in a few hours soloing on the Bots/Time today just to see how it ran. I ran the build that I posted with OF in Assault bot and nothing to convert KB in the others. People have different levels of tolerance for different things but I didn't find KB happening often at all. It did happen without question, but not often. Of the times it did happen it was just as likely to be a case of knocking a mob that is closing to melee back into the flame patches as opposed to knocking something out of the patches. I played without using Web Envelope and keeping an eye out for KB and noticed very little.

Once you start using that 5 second Web Envelope to keep spawns in place it's pretty much a non-factor in my experience, but as I said different people have different tolerance levels.

Edited by Warlawk

14 minutes ago, Warlawk said:

Interesting to hear that he doesn't miss but set bonuses don't apply to your pets.

You might be correct there, although I think Accuracy bonuses may actually apply to pet powers if the bonus was active when you summoned them...

Anyway, against +4s the Assault Bot should have 39+11.81+10 = 60.81% HitChance. And he procs Soulbound frequently, which gives him another 32% which brings his HitChance to 92.81, nearly capped. And reaches the cap when I'm affected by Power Boost.

You could trivially swap the Damage/Endurance for the Accuracy/Damage in the Superior Mark of Supremacy pieces on the Assault Bot and bring him to 1.3313(39+11.81+10) =  80.956353% HitChance even without the Soulbound proc though.

I built this a while back, so if I were doing it again I might shuffle the pet IOs a little bit, but a lot of it would stay as-is. I'd be strongly tempted to ditch the AoE Defense Aura for instance, but it would need to be replaced with another IO from the Superior Command of the Mastermind set to keep the +10% recharge bonus.

The Protector Bots I view as more force-field/heal bots than anything, and their damage is sort of weak so I focused on the defense, and making sure they didn't knock any targets back on me.

Edit: Additionally, the Nerve or Vigor alphas would easily eliminate any accuracy shortfalls this build might have.

Edited by kelly Rocket

That's one of the things I love so much about this game. Two different people have have the same power set combination and build with different goals and specifics and end up with different results that are both completely viable for 99%+ of the content in the game.

• Like 2

Heh. My goals were simple:

1. Soft cap all the things!

2. Perma-Hasten and Chrono Shift.

3. Maximize pet damage through crowd control locking the enemy into as small an area as possible.

4. Eh... Add some S/L/E/N resist I guess...

Only real shame in the build is I have full Gaussians for the defense boost, but I have basically no way at all to make use of the Build Up proc. Aside from Kick, Shadow Maul, and the Blackwand lol.

Still, it does so much I can hardly complain about the one thing it doesn't do.