PSA for new players: how to have Hasten and Domination on auto.

Sovera

Edit: This is me returning a few months later. I will change the contents with what I learned in the meanwhile.

I kept forgetting to use Hasten as soon as it was available, and I could see this was going to be a problem, so I researched (for way too long, it's almost four AM) and finally got something going that does not involve autohotkey or autohit.

Part one:

Edit: The problem with the movement keys was that they activated twice. Once on pressing and once on releasing. This made the original system unreliable since we would tap the movement key, Hasten would light up briefly but too briefly to activate, and then it would return to Domination. The solution to this was creating an 'empty' first file for the first key down, and the actual file with the power we want to auto.

Create a directory where ever you'd like, but remember its path. In my case I just added a Binds folds to CoH so the files would not be lost in the clutter. So, for me, this is C:\games\CoH\Binds but you do you. If you use a different path remember to alter all the binds.

In it create a file called Forward.txt. Place inside: w "+forward$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward2.txt". Notice how this is empty? It's so when we press the key nothing will happen, but on release it will call Forward2.txt.

Now create another file and name it Forward2.txt. In it place: w "+forward$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward3.txt". Now we're cooking with gas! Unfortunately it will require two more files to achieve the same effect of before, but the auto system will be a *lot* more reliable.

So now we repeat the steps and create Forward3.txt: w "+forward$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward4.txt" and Forward4.txt: w "+forward$$pow_exec_auto domination$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward.txt"

Now, inside the game, do:

/bindloadfile c:\games\coh\binds\Forward.txt

Now, whenever you move you will alternate between Domination and Hasten. It's still not perfect but getting there.

But, you might ask, what if I'm just sitting there fighting a bag of HP safely hovering and not having to move. Won't it meant the skills will stop alternating? Well, I'm glad you asked it since it shows we are on the same page.

Part two:

Edit: While the original system worked it was not polished enough for the advanced option further below.

What we do here is pick the skill we know we will use the most. For me it is my strongest hit, the one I always initiate combat (start with strongest hit, use second strongest, use weakest to fill for the strongest to be back up). For a Stalker it might be Assassin's Strike, for example.

Create a file and name it Ranged.txt. in it place: 3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged2.txt". Replace 3 by any other key you will use for your attack of choice that will cycle the autos.

Then create Ranged2.txt and place in it: 3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto domination$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged.txt".

Simple as. When ever we fire up a skill we fire the skill and alternate the autos. I made this for my AoEs in case I'm spamming those on a pack instead of using my ST skills on a bag of HP.

So in my case, I did aoe.txt: lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe2.txt" and aoe2.txt: lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$pow_exec_auto domination$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe.txt"

Don't forget /bindloadfile c:\games\coh\binds\ranged.txt and /bindloadfile c:\games\coh\binds\aoe.txt.

Edit: The advanced option lays in using these files to combine inspirations. While we level it is useful to have neat little rows of purples and greens, but once at max level with our defenses securely in place there is hardly a need for this and we can make better use of having a tray filled with reds. What we can do is make use of the files we created to add this, but, due to the fact that a bind can only have 255 characters we are forced to split the original files into multiples.

So we go back to the Forward.txt file and turn it into: w "+forward$$inspcombine catch_a_breath luck$$inspcombine Insight Enrage$$inspcombine Respite Enrage$$inspcombine Luck Enrage$$inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward2.txt"

Forward2.txt becomes: w "+forward$$inspcombine Keen_Insight Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Good_Luck Focused_Rage$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward3.txt"

Forward3 becomes:  w "+forward$$inspcombine Emerge Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Rugged Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Righteous_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward4.txt"

Forward4 becomes:  w "+forward$$pow_exec_auto domination$$inspcombine second_wind Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Sturdy Enrage$$inspcombine Break_Free Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward5.txt"

And due to the character limitations we are forced to add a Forward5.txt to have the rest of the inspirations:  w "+forward$$inspcombine rugged good_luck$$inspcombine Resurgence Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Phenomenal_Luck Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Take_a_Breather Focused_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward.txt"

I turned off Breakfrees and Awakens at the P2W vendor.

Combine this with /bind F1 "inspexecname resurgence$$inspexecname dramatic_improvement$$inspexecname respite" to eat greens where ever they may be in the tray, and /bind F2 "inspexec_name Righteous Rage$$inspexec_name Focused Rage$$inspexec_name Enrage" to do the same but with reds.

This can be added to the Ranged.txt and AoE.txt files as well, as long as the 255 character limit is respected thus having to break down the files into multiples.

The discerning reader might have notice how this allows for the cycling of Destiny and Hybrid incarnates as well, and indeed it does though they ought to be used more when needed, but, in the name of laziness (isn't it this a lot of laziness in the first place just to combine insps and not having to remember to click on hasten and domination?) then yes, respect the 255 character limit and add to the files.

Edit: Caveat to the system. The Forward option will now work fine anywhere, anytime, but the attacks will toggle and detoggle the auto if spammed. They will also queue the auto *after* the attack, so if queuing attacks without a break the auto will never go off even as they alternate.

Enjoy o/

Edit: I will add my current files so people can see what I am using on my Sentinel.

Spoiler

w "+forward$$inspcombine catch_a_breath luck$$inspcombine Insight Enrage$$inspcombine Respite Enrage$$inspcombine Luck Enrage$$inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward2.txt"

w "+forward$$inspcombine Keen_Insight Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Good_Luck Focused_Rage$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward3.txt"

w "+forward$$inspcombine Emerge Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Rugged Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Righteous_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward4.txt"

w "+forward$$pow_exec_auto kuji-in_rin$$inspcombine second_wind Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Sturdy Enrage$$inspcombine Break_Free Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward5.txt"

w "+forward$$inspcombine rugged good_luck$$inspcombine Resurgence Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Phenomenal_Luck Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Take_a_Breather Focused_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\forward.txt"

3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$inspcombine Insight Enrage$$inspcombine Respite Enrage$$inspcombine Luck Enrage$$inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged2.txt"

3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto kuji-in_rin$$inspcombine Keen_Insight Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Good_Luck Focused_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged3.txt"

3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$inspcombine Emerge Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Rugged Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Righteous_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged4.txt"

3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto kuji-in_rin$$inspcombine second_wind Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Sturdy Enrage$$inspcombine Break_Free Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged5.txt"

3 "powexec_slot 3$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$inspcombine Resurgence Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Phenomenal_Luck Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Take_a_Breather Focused_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\ranged.txt"

lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$inspcombine Insight Enrage$$inspcombine Respite Enrage$$inspcombine Luck Enrage$$inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Enrage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe2.txt"

lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$pow_exec_auto kuji-in_rin$$inspcombine Keen_Insight Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Good_Luck Focused_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe3.txt"

lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$pow_exec_auto hasten$$inspcombine Emerge Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Rugged Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Righteous_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe4.txt"

lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$inspcombine second_wind Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Sturdy Enrage$$inspcombine Break_Free Enrage$$pow_exec_auto kuji-in_rin$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe5.txt"

lshift+2 "powexec_slot 7$$pow_exec_auto kuji-in_rin$$inspcombine Resurgence Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Phenomenal_Luck Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Take_a_Breather Focused_Rage$$bindloadfilesilent c:\games\CoH\binds\aoe.txt"

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting, but one question: Is there a reason to create 3 files? It seems to me that all of the keybinds could be set to:

auto-Dominate.txt:

+<key> powexec_auto Dominate $$ bind_load_file auto-Hasten

auto-Hasten.txt

+<key> powexec_auto Hasten $$ bind_load_file auto-Dominate

Instead of +<key>, use the keys that you will use: +right, +left, +space bar, etc, repeating the lines until you have all of the keys that you want to bind set up.

Then you only have one file to load, and two in the directory. Once you start making lots of alternating load-file binds, having fewer files will keep things neater.

It was the method that worked for me, but if you wish to test it and see if your method works then the fewer the files the better, yes. Let me know what you get.

• 2 weeks later

Anyone get this to work on Mac?

I have.  Are you using Island Rum?

Island Rum is running inside its own Windows directory.  Run this from a shell in your home directory to create a link into Island Rum:

ln -s /Applications/CoH.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/ wine_c

Then put the bind files into the wine_c directory.  You can load them from in game with bindloadfile c:/<filename>

So I have wine_c/HastenBinds.txt with:

uparrow "+forward$$powexecauto Hasten$$bind_load_file_silent c:\DominationBinds.txt"

downarrow "+backward$$powexecauto Hasten$$bind_load_file_silent c:\DominationBinds.txt"

leftarrow "+turnleft$$powexecauto Hasten$$bind_load_file_silent c:\DominationBinds.txt"

rightarrow "+turnright$$powexecauto Hasten$$bind_load_file_silent c:\DominationBinds.txt"

and a similar wine_c/DominationBinds.txt file.

I've found the arrow keys usually active twice, once when I push the button and once when I let up.  I end up with Hasten firing but Domination sometimes not for a while.  I've been meaning to change my binds to use three files, so that it cycles correctly.

I copied and pasted and then just changed the path to what is on my computer. I didn't use notepad++, I just right clicked in binds and chose "create new text document"

EDIT: NVM, using notepad worked..thanks for the tips!!

Edited by HachiMan2015

• 2 weeks later
On 9/1/2019 at 3:37 AM, Saulty_Dawg1992 said:

When i type in game the command it says i am using 3 args rather then 1....retypred stuff to suit my directory and everything...

And here I was thinking I had made the explanation as foolproof as possible. Walk me through what you did from the start?

• 3 weeks later

**FOR ALL THOSE WHO ARE HAVING ISSUES**

Computers store things different. My path files original went from C:\ straight to CoH.

This is so you can use the pathway:

c:\Games\CoH\Binds\Forward.txt

For this to work, make a folder titled "Games" in your C DRIVE. Put the CoH file in that file.

Make sure you have Notepad ++ Downloaded and make that the main reader, also make sure you go into Encoding -> ANSI.

Further, Sovera's command is /bindloadfile c:\games\coh\binds\ranged.txt and /bindloadfile c:\games\coh\binds\aoe.txt

DO NOT INCLUDE THE PERIOD.

An additional note: DO NOT "NAME" THEM FORWARD.TXT 

It will do the .txt for you, if you create forward.txt instead, it will not work.

Just name them: Forward

Nothing else.

Edited by 3333053222

• 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later
On 10/2/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sakai said:

How do I bind dom to a movement key?

This is an old post, but this should work I think:

/bind W "+forward$$powexecname Dominate"

However it will mess up things like targeting reticles (like you're going to place an AOE, you press W to inch forward, it'll clear your cursor)

The auto-cast swap method here eliminates that issue, but has its own issues (sometimes you'll double swap and miss it, which can be bad if your Dom timing is tight).

• Like 1

• 2 months later

About to toss my keyboard out the window.

Everything is the same, except E:\Games\CoH\Binds\Forward as it is in the E:\ drive where I installed it.

Used plain Notepad by hand, is Note++ different and which one?  Google play has several and I don't know what is a reliable source elsewhere.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

4 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

About to toss my keyboard out the window.

Everything is the same, except E:\Games\CoH\Binds\Forward as it is in the E:\ drive where I installed it.

Used plain Notepad by hand, is Note++ different and which one?  Google play has several and I don't know what is a reliable source elsewhere.

Sounds like a thing.

I'm going to suggest two routes.

The first and simplest will be to remove the 'silent' part of all the binds and then reload and keep an eye on what message error you get in the chat.

The second one would be to try the notepad ++. I have had some niche problems with the regular Notepad where it uses an UTF-8 format, or whatever it was, which made the files have an invisible character in front of what we type in and that messes things. It's a niche problem though, but it has happened twice.

I'd start with the first route. But you can download Note++ from here https://notepad-plus-plus.org/  and then just open your text files, click on Encoding, Convert To ANSI, and save the file. Reload in game and try once more.

Edited by Sovera

15 hours ago, Sovera said:

Sounds like a thing.

I'm going to suggest two routes.

The first and simplest will be to remove the 'silent' part of all the binds and then reload and keep an eye on what message error you get in the chat.

The second one would be to try the notepad ++. I have had some niche problems with the regular Notepad where it uses an UTF-8 format, or whatever it was, which made the files have an invisible character in front of what we type in and that messes things. It's a niche problem though, but it has happened twice.

I'd start with the first route. But you can download Note++ from here https://notepad-plus-plus.org/  and then just open your text files, click on Encoding, Convert To ANSI, and save the file. Reload in game and try once more.

It works.  Thanks. Gives me an idea for my farmer to bind a macro to the forward key, so my farmer can fire off Rage and Fiery Embrace, should not be hard with a few changes and different named files.

I was looking at your wall of text for inspiration combines, man that makes my head hurt.  , but a slight modification can shorten the number of texts.  Some instructions another farmer gave me, 

P2W vendor, Inspiration Drops -> Reject Resurrection Inspirations -> Reject Protection Inspirations (status protection) -> just below that Reject Medium and Large Inspirations.  Now only the smallest will drop.

1. By turning off the Medium and Large inspirations while rejecting the rez/status for all types, you will get the smaller purple/yellow/orange/green that are more common.

2. Less of the "range" and "aoe" files to use, I think it would cut out 2 lines for each of the 3 and lfshift sets you got

3. Not as close to the damage cap unless you consume more, but consistent number of conversions to red.

Honestly, thats a lot of combinations for converting what you may or may not have in the tray for the med/large.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer