That got dark really fast

Gravitus

• 4 years later
9 minutes ago, Gravitus said:

?

I'm guessing at arcane's facepalm, but there are several on the forums who do not appreciate the reviving of a long dormant thread.  In this case nearly 5 years dormant.  Curiously, they're usually fine with starting a new thread on the same old topic and referencing the original thread within the first post.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Apogee said:

This is an example of a good reason to revive an old post.  The person reviving is the OP and is simply bringing up the topic again for a fresh look.  

No it isn't. There's nothing to the original post but "this NPC has no chill," and nothing to be added with further discussion. There's no "fresh look" to be had. Especially from a post *From 2019.* This is why there should be a lock on posts after some amount of time with no activity.

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I'm guessing at arcane's facepalm, but there are several on the forums who do not appreciate the reviving of a long dormant thread.  In this case nearly 5 years dormant.  Curiously, they're usually fine with starting a new thread on the same old topic and referencing the original thread within the first post.

If this forum were teeming with activity and my bumps were hindering people from more recent topics, I'd understand. But seeing how that's not the case, it doesn't really make sense to be irritated over something so mundane. Furthermore, I think for this particular topic, it's interesting to see the history of people's feelings on this if you're reading it for the first time. But that's just my opinion. If someone is upset I revived an old thread that's "them" problem. 

Edited by Gravitus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, DocLiah said:

I don't do his missions... I may be a villain but there are limits.

Careful, Lord Recluse will revoke your safeword if he hears you talking like that!

• Haha 2

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

3 minutes ago, Greycat said:

No it isn't. There's nothing to the original post but "this NPC has no chill," and nothing to be added with further discussion. There's no "fresh look" to be had. Especially from a post *From 2019.* This is why there should be a lock on posts after some amount of time with no activity.

Did you read all the old responses? 

I'm just going to say no. On both counts. Prestige was did away due to the community of players being too small to maintain the upkeep costs that live servers held. (And yes, I played live as well, and I ***hated*** the prestige system.) Subscriptions are not required for the reasoning that this is run by a dedicated group of gamers that love this game and wish to keep it alive as long as possible, and with NCsoft granting limited license, it will remain free, for as long as Homecoming exists. Donations are always a welcome addition if you absolutely feel that money should go towards funding the servers and further development, but subscriptions are not ever going to be required and I do not think that locking the game behind subscription costs, will do any favors to our already small gaming community here.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

3 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

just wondering if there is any value to not locking a necro post so old it makes Snarky look young

I am guessing this is either a Joker vs the IRS kinda joke or people spending too much time alone in a room and stopped being able to separate fantasy from reality and uses it as a quirk/crutch to seem interesting to random strangers on the internet.

Now, 4 years later I guess it was necro'd to see if we reacted the same way like we did with our old AoL nicknames/posts/emails/console handles.  Potential shame and whatnot

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Granted, the first post was lacking in substance other than the in-game quote but the conversation that resulted showed that the OP was interested in the lore behind CoV and the varying degrees of evil found therein.  The topic of evil is just as relevant today as it was 5 years ago (or 500 years ago).  If he had made a new thread with the same subject matter no one would be the wiser.  He recycled, very green of him.  

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Careful, Lord Recluse will revoke your safeword if he hears you talking like that!

910fz0.jpg

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, Apogee said:

Granted, the first post was lacking in substance other than the in-game quote but the conversation that resulted showed that the OP was interested in the lore behind CoV and the varying degrees of evil found therein.  The topic of evil is just as relevant today as it was 5 years ago (or 500 years ago).  If he had made a new thread with the same subject matter no one would be the wiser.  He recycled, very green of him.  

It was my intention to have the old responses visible, so they could potentially impact public opinion. Someone may read an opinion someone had and change or modify theirs. 

But now I’m sad because instead of people actually staying on topic, it’s become a discussion about Gatekeeping what people are posting. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

910fz0.jpg

Mako certainly does

As does Lord Recluse

I think Sirocco has a few grooves too

Best I can do with Black Scorpion is put forks in his eyeballs. Metal forks, of course

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
Hiding from the air
  • Haha 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

4 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

just wondering if there is any value to not locking a necro post so old it makes Snarky look young

For the very reason that Snarky needs something at hand to help him feel young.  I suppose he could print it out and post it next to his mirror so that every time he looks into it...

...oh, wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Phillips is a prime example of a villain whom has opted out when told "morality was optional".  Kinda fitting he's lurking in Recluse's shadow. Still...I've ran into worse both real life and fiction so I guess his insanity doesn't bother me as much as it does some, no offense intended folks. I find that for the most part, villainy has gotten pretty white-washed over the last 60 years or so with so many anti-heroes and rebels etc and most of the younger generations really don't have the same experience of looking real evil in the eyes outside of those unfortunate enough to be living around it. I guess that's why I don't see 90% of the red side missions as being more than just re-worded hero missions for context rather than any actual difference in action/result. 

Still, all that said, I am surprised, given the general social climate, that CoV had the courage to put a character like Phillips and his twisted goals in the game. Props to that 'cause he really is easy to hate. 

• Like 2

If it makes anyone feel better, there's a blueside Tip mission where you have the option of beating the living daylights out of Phipps. I always assumed that was inspired by the strong reaction some folks had to his story arc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Greycat said:

There's nothing to the original post but "this NPC has no chill," and nothing to be added with further discussion.

I would assert that this NPC does, in fact, have no chill. Good day to you, sir!

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 8/21/2024 at 10:55 PM, Go0gleplex said:

Phillips is a prime example of a villain whom has opted out when told "morality was optional".  Kinda fitting he's lurking in Recluse's shadow. Still...I've ran into worse both real life and fiction so I guess his insanity doesn't bother me as much as it does some, no offense intended folks. I find that for the most part, villainy has gotten pretty white-washed over the last 60 years or so with so many anti-heroes and rebels etc and most of the younger generations really don't have the same experience of looking real evil in the eyes outside of those unfortunate enough to be living around it. I guess that's why I don't see 90% of the red side missions as being more than just re-worded hero missions for context rather than any actual difference in action/result. 

Still, all that said, I am surprised, given the general social climate, that CoV had the courage to put a character like Phillips and his twisted goals in the game. Props to that 'cause he really is easy to hate. 

His missions have always been interesting to run, but I don't do it often. I play games to escape reality. The ramblings of a mad man bent on world domination, or a psychotic cyborg doctor chopping up people and putting them together is fun. Phipps is a real world villain. Someone who enjoys inflicting pain and misery on others simply for the joy of doing so. There's enough of that on the news and in our own lives, so I actively avoid that in my gaming. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can portray a legitimate, proactive, Villain, either Red or Blue.

Use AE. Consider it an Evil Plot Generator. Make a copy of your character as the AV in it, and set the completion conditions such that your character meets an end, being defeated or escaping, as fits your mood. 

Otherwise, the story system in the game requires a contact who initiates and guides pre-canned stories; imo there aren't really enough mechanical 'sandbox' features to the game to let us be villainously proactive.

• Like 1