Dual Pistols - Alternative Sound Set

krj12

Currently, alternate animations are provided for certain powers.   In certain cases, it would be nice to have alternate sounds as well.

Case in point is Dual Pistols...    to me the constant, extremely loud, extremely sharp sounds from every attack is grating. 

Contrast that with the toned down sound effects in the early Steel Canyon mission with Lady Gray, who supposedly has the same power set.

Same power set, similar sounds,  but one is much less annoying.

Suggestion:  Provide the toned down sound effects in Lady Grey's dual pistols power set as an option.

2 hours ago, krj12 said:

Not a bad idea.

I was just playing a while ago and noticed the sound effects for Malta Gunslingers sounded a bit better as well.  Not sure if they use the same

sounds as Lady Grey, but it was better than what we have.

Lady Grey and Malta Gunslingers are using the animations and sounds from the Pistol powers from thugs Mastermind powerset, not dual pistols. For the longest time this was the only way to get pistol ranged powers in the game. Saying that I would love to see a less 'gunfu' style of animations on pistols but that would require new animations to match the timing on the rest of the set.

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 1

Until or unless they provide alternate SFX for abilities, players can alter them themselves. Then you're guaranteed to get a sound you like.

I can take or leave Dual Pistol, unless there are 3 or more all shooting at once, then it gets really annoying. And I'm still trying to come up with an alternate sound set for Sonic.

I've altered things like MM Demon Lt rawrs, Bots stomps, dog barks, glowies and flat out silenced others like AoE toggles that players leave running while they stand around for an hour dickering with their costumes.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

4 hours ago, Crysta Clear said:

Mod your own sounds, but don't ask for the sounds to be changed for everyone just because you don't like them, thank you.

The suggestion was to provide alternatives, not replace.  Try reading the post next time.

13 hours ago, krj12 said:

@Oubliette_Red   

Just took a look at your guide, I'm not seeing that directory structure at all...

Which directory structure do you speak of? If you have not modified your game files at all, then you likely won't even have a data folder. You have to create the structure yourself. If you mean DP exclusively, it's because I've not seen it requested, not in the Legacy thread, not in the current forums. I can certainly search the file names for the DP powers, but I've not come up with any alternative sounds myself for DP.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

5 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Which directory structure do you speak of? If you have not modified your game files at all, then you likely won't even have a data folder. You have to create the structure yourself. If you mean DP exclusively, it's because I've not seen it requested, not in the Legacy thread, not in the current forums. I can certainly search the file names for the DP powers, but I've not come up with any alternative sounds myself for DP.

Ok, I created the data/sound/ogg folder.   How do I go about locating/extracting these ogg files?  Looks like everything is packaged inside the .pigg files atm.

Powers of Interest:

Pistols,  Dual Wield,  Empty Clips,  Suppressive Fire,  Bullet Rain,  Executioner's Shot,  Piercing Rounds,  and Hail of Bullets.  If I could start out with the base sounds,  I could definitely use Audacity to tone them down a bit - I've used it quite a bit to mod XCOM 2.

5 hours ago, krj12 said:

Ok, I created the data/sound/ogg folder.   How do I go about locating/extracting these ogg files?  Looks like everything is packaged inside the .pigg files atm.

Powers of Interest:

Pistols,  Dual Wield,  Empty Clips,  Suppressive Fire,  Bullet Rain,  Executioner's Shot,  Piercing Rounds,  and Hail of Bullets.  If I could start out with the base sounds,  I could definitely use Audacity to tone them down a bit - I've used it quite a bit to mod XCOM 2.

There's no need to extract them. Create replacement sounds. Give them the same names as the power's file, and place them in the appropriate folder. The game will reference the new .ogg files in the data folder.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

There's no need to extract them. Create replacement sounds. Give them the same names as the power's file, and place them in the appropriate folder. The game will reference the new .ogg files in the data folder.

Yes, but it sounds seems like krj12 wants to use the existing sounds as a starting point, rather than seek out others to replace them with.

19 hours ago, krj12 said:

The suggestion was to provide alternatives, not replace.  Try reading the post next time.

As far as we know, the game can't have selectable sound options for a powerset, so what you're asking for is a game file replacement mod. Hence, "mod your own, but don't ask the server staff to default-install a mod just because you don't like existing sounds." This section is for suggesting things to the Homecoming staff. If you're asking for help modding your own sounds, there's a different section for tech support.

Edited by Crysta Clear

19 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

ok, how do I find out the names of the files? 

13 hours ago, Crysta Clear said:

As far as we know, the game can't have selectable sound options for a powerset, so what you're asking for is a game file replacement mod. Hence, "mod your own, but don't ask the server staff to default-install a mod just because you don't like existing sounds." This section is for suggesting things to the Homecoming staff. If you're asking for help modding your own sounds, there's a different section for tech support.

Yes, I'm quite aware that the game cant do this currently, hence the request.    As to whether its a game file replacement, that's completely up to the implementation.   It could very well be implemented in a manner similar to the alternate animations.

7 hours ago, krj12 said:

ok, how do I find out the names of the files? 

sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_02.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_03.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_04.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_05.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletRain_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_DualWield_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_EmptyClips_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_Equip_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_ExecutionersShot_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_HailOfBullets_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_PiercingRounds_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_Pistols_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_SuppressiveFire_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_SwapAmmo_01.ogg

If you wish to find other file names for sfx, there's an 'All the Sounds' file attached to one of my posts in the thread.

6 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_02.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_03.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_04.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletHit_05.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_BulletRain_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_DualWield_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_EmptyClips_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_Equip_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_ExecutionersShot_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_HailOfBullets_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_PiercingRounds_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_Pistols_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_SuppressiveFire_01.ogg
sound\Ogg\Weapons\DW_SwapAmmo_01.ogg

If you wish to find other file names for sfx, there's an 'All the Sounds' file attached to one of my posts in the thread.

Thanks. :)    I'm curious what all the dw_bullethit files are for...

Edited by krj12

10 hours ago, krj12 said:

Thanks. 🙂 I'm curious what all the dw_bullethit files are for...

There are quite a few abilities that have sounds for activation/attack and the impact when they hit a target.

They are all variations. believe they randomly play for the attacks. Each of DPs attacks could be assigned one or more of those 'hit' SFX or it could be something as simple at footsteps, where the sound will change depending on the surface being walked on.

They are easy enough to get a listen to, if you have base edit permissions you can use '/sg_music <filename>' to hear each one. Any sfx without _loop in the name will only play once upon using the command or on entry int your base.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later

Also for dual pistols it would be nice to be able to select something other than bullet type sounds as some of the pistols are actually laser type pistols.  Perhaps a new set would be better though.  Dual energy pistols perhaps.  A single pistol set would be nice too though.