Code of Conduct Update - September 25th 2019

Jimmy

2 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

I disagree.  Remember, a report is not an automatic "poof, you're Generic'd"; that report goes to a GM, and the GM then makes a judgement call - preferably after setting eyes, themselves, on the character in question (and yes, they do have the ability to look at your bio and costume(s) even while you are offline, or playing a different character).

You ignored the rest of my post, and the context it provided.  There certainly are circumstances where the response to a report could become nearly automatic; dismissing such concerns out of hand does not further the conversation.

1 minute ago, Rodumas said:

I'm also pretty sure this entire situation will create a subculture where, much like those of my kind in the past, people can gather and show off their actual looks if they so choose without fear of getting 'arrested' so to speak.

Hell.  You can maybe do it publicly.  Hold a monthly "Cosplay as your favorite character from comics, movies, etc" costume contest.

Then be up-front in the rules: all entrants have to have their name, and #1 costume slot, not violate the Code of Conduct.  Indeed, until the judge gets to you and says "show me", you stay in a not-infringing look.

Maybe even set it up to have one award for "best 1:1 carbon-copy costume", and another for "best original homage" (like my Kenneth Clarke example just a moment ago).  Since none of the participants would be trying to directly copy an IP for long-term play, but instead put together a costume for a contest ...?  I suspect it'd be fine.  Maybe @Jimmy or one of the GMs * @GM Capocollo, @GM Widower, especially) could confirm if that would work?

Heck, for that sort of CC, I might try my own hand at making one of those "squint and look at it sideways" homage characters myself.  Just for the fun of it.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

7 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

You ignored the rest of my post, and the context it provided.

I didn't ignore it.  The risks you pointed to are so slim, as to be IMO unworthy of consideration.

Especially since the worst that happens is, you get slapped with the Generic costume and name.  The character isn't deleted, you just need to visit Icon or the Facemaker.

And of you think there's even a one-in-a-hundred-thousand chance your character could be generic'd ...?  Save the costume(s) to your computer.  If you do get generic'd, talk (civilly) to the GMs.  Worst case, you have to tweak your costume a little bit.  Change one or two colors, change one piece, etc.  Distance the name a bit more, maybe.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

13 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

That's going to be up to the HC folk should it get reported to them.

Fair enough.  I have to say, I certainly wouldn't want to have to be in their shoes.  I imagine they are about to get swamped with reports.

Also wanted to ask - is it ok to report ourselves for review?  Or is that not cool as I'm sure these reports are going to flood their inboxes.

Edited by ShardWarrior

9 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Which is why I'm asking.  The only way to know their mind is to either ask in advance, or wait for it to happen.  I prefer to be forewarned.

Report yourself.  Make it clear you're doing that, and ask if the character needs to be changed or not.

On Champions Online, I made a tribute/homage to "Invader Zim".  Called him "Conqueror Zuub", had a whole bio written up that (IMO) parodied the Invader Zim story, and everything.  Then sat there, at the end of the tutorial, and thought: "I may have gone too far with this, and it'd suck to play him for twenty or so levels only to get generic'd that far down the line."  So I reported myself, explaining what my aim was - and providing links to wikipedia and such for comparison.

The GM that responded sent me an in-game mail saying I was fine, and he had set a flag on the character showing it had been reviewed, to stave off any possible reports that came in later.  I don't know if CoH has that functionality, but, it's worth a try.

And in the very least, you learn within the first 5 levels whether or not you need to tweak it, rather than at level 40-something, right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

It's either ok to make cosplays and/or homages in the game or it isn't.  pick one and stick with it. 

Homages are always okay.  Where you and I differ is in defining what an Homage is or is not.  I say "not a 1:1 carbon copy".

Cosplay should always be okay.  Where you and I differ is in defining what is or is not Cosplay.  I say "not name, costume, and powers, all the time".  If your character named (for example) Commander Smash-Fist, dresses up as Superman for a CC, or even for Halloween ... that's cosplay.  Even if his powers are SS, Invul, and Flight.

A CC that invites cosplay and homages, that fit those definitions, I think should be fine.

But wanting to play "The Incredible Hulk" as a SS/WP Brute, green skin, torn purple pants, and your bio reads like a wikipedia summary of the Marvel character of that name?  That's not cosplay, and it's not an homage.  It is a 1:1 carbon copy.

• Like 1

So, snarky rheotorical question, but one I think is barely pertinent...

Does this mean that I myself and others who will blantantly refuse to ever report one of these 'violations' are in breach of the CoC and should be 'punished'?

I mean, really, there is no way on earth I would ever, ever 'report' one of these and if done well, I would probably compliment it.

I would be in breach of the CoC for not reporting, just as I was on Retail Live, so ...

IMO, that's the circle.  The policy has to be in place for legal reasons.  HC has to enforce reports of the policy.  

If no one gets reported, no one gets the generic stick...

Flame on...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Well, legally, anyone can use the name of Thor since that is an historical/mythological figure.  They just can't pair with the likeness of the version owned by Marvel.
Will Homecoming handle it exactly that way?  Beats me.

My understanding is that Marvel does not/cannot own the name "Thor", because of it's long history as a public domain character.  However, they can (and have) trademark(ed) "The Mighty Thor", and its specific likeness of the character: white dude, long blond hair, winged helmet, blue suit, red cape, square hammer.

Consequently, someone creating a character named "Thor" is perfectly legitimate, as long as he doesn't have the same look, origin, powers, etc.  As long as this new Thor is sufficiently different from The Mighty Thor, Marvel doesn't have a case.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

2 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Does this mean that I myself and others who will blantantly refuse to ever report one of these 'violations' are in breach of the CoC and should be 'punished'?

Unless the Code of Conduct requires you to make such reports, then no - there is no Duty to report imposed upon you, and so, no discipline should arise from just saying "meh" and not reporting someone.

2 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Consequently, someone creating a character named "Thor" is perfectly legitimate, as long as he doesn't have the same look, origin, powers, etc.  As long as this new Thor is sufficiently different from The Mighty Thor, Marvel doesn't have a case.

Thor being super strong and tough wielding a hammer named Mjolnir is part of the mythology too.  Making him look like he does in Marvel would be the no-no.

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

Thor being super strong and tough wielding a hammer named Mjolnir is part of the mythology too.  Making him look like he does in Marvel would be the no-no.

I agree.

Hell, I think in mythology, he has RED hair, not blond ... so there's your first, obvious point of difference. to include  🙂

Went home and got my laptop to randomize/generiticize my mains.

1,180,000 infl just to Randomize one of my toon costumes (this 1 has 8 marvel style). this sux! THanks marvel/DC! Kisses! Luv ya! 

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

1 minute ago, PaxArcana said:

Unless the Code of Conduct requires you to make such reports, then no - there is no Duty to report imposed upon you, and so, no discipline should arise from just saying "meh" and not reporting someone.

You are correct, the wording is such that there is no 'rule' that says a player has to report, now that I read the full wording.

Which, IMO, is pefect.

If no one reports, then there is no problem, all of the legal obligations are met.

So, really, why ever report?

There is simply no obligation to do so, at all.

HC would be seen to follow policy in the legal sense and be protected.

2 hours ago, GameBugTV said:

Well, I won't let the Katt out of the bag, but he was one of the greatest heroes for those that remember 🙂

Yeah, but he was gone to the Americans.

@Rathstar

10 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

You are correct, the wording is such that there is no 'rule' that says a player has to report, now that I read the full wording.

Which, IMO, is pefect.

If no one reports, then there is no problem, all of the legal obligations are met.

But Devs/GMs will still see you out and about. better to not take the chance.

Renamed a bunch of my alts just now. And puting costume to BARE on all of them. I suppose I'll get reported for looking too much like an NPC from the SIMS or something now. 

Yay! We get to be free again!.....so long as you conform. 

I have a few toons that are just Words out of the dictionary, is that okay or is Merriam Webster going to shut us down too?

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

24 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

I agree.

Hell, I think in mythology, he has RED hair, not blond ... so there's your first, obvious point of difference. to include  🙂

Red hair, a beard, wears a glove and Mjolnir has a very short handle.  Totally different than Marvels Thor.

spacer.png

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

15 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Which, IMO, is pefect.

I just spent 8 mill influence to redress one of my toons and renamed 4 others to generic names. I'm reporting people that I just "FEEL" like are derivative of a character I've seen before. And I've collected Marvel comics for 24+ years...I will recite comic issue and page # when I report people.

First it was character creation and doing mishes, leveling up. Then it wsa BaseBuilding. Then Mission Architect. Just when I thought CoH was out of new things to play this comes along! 

We CANNOT take a chance that DC or Marvel or Disney will shut this down! This is for the greater good people!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, IllayKonon said:

Since we're going that path, is it possible to get the ability to change your sg name? I've been making a base for my Batman, but I don't want to lose the progress of the build

Just send a petition. They are pretty quick about changing the name.

My current SG is a parody of various anime characters. None of them have the same name as the actual character. Costumes are similar and the powersets are not an exact match because some of them don't exist yet. One character is a parody of two characters rolled it one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

Went home and got my laptop to randomize/generiticize my mains.

1,180,000 infl just to Randomize one of my toon costumes (this 1 has 8 marvel style). this sux! THanks marvel/DC! Kisses! Luv ya! 

You didn't have any free tailor tokens? *mind boggled*

@Rathstar

• Retired Game Master
3 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

I just spent 8 mill influence to redress one of my toons and renamed 4 others to generic names. I'm reporting people that I just "FEEL" like are derivative of a character I've seen before. And I've collected Marvel comics for 24+ years...I will recite comic issue and page # when I report people.

First it was character creation and doing mishes, leveling up. Then it wsa BaseBuilding. Then Mission Architect. Just when I thought CoH was out of new things to play this comes along! 

We CANNOT take a chance that DC or Marvel or Disney will shut this down! This is for the greater good people!

I figure this is closing the barn door after the horses have bolted, but your characters were fine as-is.  

If this is just a protest against the policy, then godspeed, but you may have gone a little overboard in protecting yourself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1