Code of Conduct Update - September 25th 2019

Jimmy

54 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

I didn't ignore it.  The risks you pointed to are so slim, as to be IMO unworthy of consideration.

Thanks for proving my point:

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

...dismissing such concerns out of hand does not further the conversation.

27 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

You are correct, the wording is such that there is no 'rule' that says a player has to report, now that I read the full wording.

Which, IMO, is pefect.

If no one reports, then there is no problem, all of the legal obligations are met.

So, really, why ever report?

There is simply no obligation to do so, at all.

HC would be seen to follow policy in the legal sense and be protected.

Because some people have no reservations about ruining things for other players, and take joy in telling others what to do.  Case in point:

8 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

I'm reporting people that I just "FEEL" like are derivative of a character I've seen before. And I've collected Marvel comics for 24+ years...I will recite comic issue and page # when I report people.

9 hours ago, Trademarked Name said:

I just spent 8 mill influence to redress one of my toons and renamed 4 others to generic names. I'm reporting people that I just "FEEL" like are derivative of a character I've seen before. And I've collected Marvel comics for 24+ years...I will recite comic issue and page # when I report people.

First it was character creation and doing mishes, leveling up. Then it wsa BaseBuilding. Then Mission Architect. Just when I thought CoH was out of new things to play this comes along! 

We CANNOT take a chance that DC or Marvel or Disney will shut this down! This is for the greater good people!

9 hours ago, GM Capocollo said:

I figure this is closing the barn door after the horses have bolted, but your characters were fine as-is.  

If this is just a protest against the policy, then godspeed, but you may have gone a little overboard in protecting yourself.

It's a shame that Rocketuer would go off the deep end playing the worst game from Office Space:

Image result for jumping to conclusions game

Edit:

9 hours ago, Trademarked Name said:

I'm reporting people that I just "FEEL" like are derivative of a character I've seen before. And I've collected Marvel comics for 24+ years...I will recite comic issue and page # when I report people.

Enacting a scorched earth policy out of protest probably isn't a wise thing to do. You'd probably get banned for spamming GMs with unnecessary work, unless that's what your goal is.

I liked your characters and concepts. That you've taken such a drastic turn out of what is seemingly spite is disappointing.

2nd Edit: at first glance, it may have looked like I was being critical of GM Capocolla, which could hardly be farther from the truth; apologies for not making my criticism clearer.

Edited by Obsidius

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

Ho boy...gust Yesterday i see a Classic Thor character walking around Atlas park...probably dis person She Need ti change name an costume at dis point...Is annoing because dis guy have very made a very good Classic Thor outfit...but understand te Gravity of the situation, and all pepole have create character ispired DC or Marvel need ti remake name and the avatar look.

18 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

No-one (who hasn't gone dead broke) settles when they think they can win.  They settle when they think there is too great a risk of losing.

A settlement is a matter of "better to lose a little, than to lose everything ...!"

Not to be pedantic, but this is patently untrue (see what I did?  use "patently" in a thread about copyright infringement!  I slay me).  People and corporations settle all the time, not because they think they cannot win, or even if their risk profile is unfavorable.  They settle when they determine that the cost of the lawsuit in terms of money, time, or intangibles is more than the cost of settlement.  There are entire professions that are dedicated to exacerbating this.

What this has to do with your argument, I don't know.  I was just skimming this thread and wanted to point out that lawsuit settlement is rarely a binary we win/we lose issue.  In a more perfect world, I'd argue it should be.  But it ain't.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

A friend of mine has an adage that applies to most legal matters.  "When the lawyers have made enough money, then things will get done".  Might not be 100% true, but I feel like it covers the vast majority of these types of things. 😉

• Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 hour ago, Trademarked Name said:

Went home and got my laptop to randomize/generiticize my mains.

1,180,000 infl just to Randomize one of my toon costumes (this 1 has 8 marvel style). this sux! THanks marvel/DC! Kisses! Luv ya! 

1.2 million influence takes less time in game to earn than coming onto the forums and crying about spending 1.2 million influence takes to type.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

I just spent 8 mill influence to redress one of my toons and renamed 4 others to generic names. I'm reporting people that I just "FEEL" like are derivative of a character I've seen before. And I've collected Marvel comics for 24+ years...I will recite comic issue and page # when I report people.

First it was character creation and doing mishes, leveling up. Then it wsa BaseBuilding. Then Mission Architect. Just when I thought CoH was out of new things to play this comes along! 

We CANNOT take a chance that DC or Marvel or Disney will shut this down! This is for the greater good people!

And I quote "Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in."

IF you get genericed, you get to rename and redesign when you log in. Now, it's heavily inferred that these are both free of charge, but some verbage confirming would probably help. As I recall, on live, it cost nothing.

Quite honestly, you tried to kill a fly with a grenade launcher and cost yourself all that influence. Not the Homecing team, not anyone on these boards...just you. Taking out this vendetta because you perceive some slight to yourself that was actually self inflicted...well, you do you. 

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

8 minutes ago, SlimPickens said:

1.2 million influence takes less time in game to earn than coming onto the forums and crying about spending 1.2 million influence takes to type.

You are an influence generating machine! or you type VERY slowly. 😉 But I appreciate the view point. Your off-hand recommendation has been noted.

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

8 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

And I quote "Characters using copyrighted materials will have their name and/or costume reset. You will then be able to select a new name and create a new costume the next time you log in."

IF you get genericed, you get to rename and redesign when you log in. Now, it's heavily inferred that these are both free of charge, but some verbage confirming would probably help. As I recall, on live, it cost nothing.

Quite honestly, you tried to kill a fly with a grenade launcher and cost yourself all that influence. Not the Homecing team, not anyone on these boards...just you. Taking out this vendetta because you perceive some slight to yourself that was actually self inflicted...well, you do you. 

I don't like the "what if" of a sword of Damecles (sp) hanging over my head. So I jumped the gun and it cost me some INF. Mea Culpa. I'm the only one that suffers! Live and learn.

When I first read the announcement it sounded like a banning restriction and I ran with it. since then GMs have responded that it is not, and people will be given a chance to alter their toons. Reading comprehension has always been a failing on my part. but now it's done! 

If we get C&D'd by marvel or DC, it won't be because of any character I am running around with. Oh. And YOU'RE WELCOME!

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

1 hour ago, PaxArcana said:

If your character named (for example) Commander Smash-Fist, dresses up as Superman for a CC, or even for Halloween ... that's cosplay.  Even if his powers are SS, Invul, and Flight.

This is like the opposite of what you whined about in other threads on the topic. 

Posters on here are making it fairly clear they are doing the happy dance now that they have the "official" ok to report others.  Griefing is going to occur, just like it did on live.  Good luck to them fielding all of the incoming "infringement" reports.  It's going to be genericize first, answer questions later.  if they feel like they want to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

When I first read the announcement it sounded like a banning restriction and I ran with it.

They did say "as it was on live", which as I remember all it meant was you got a free character rename and costume token.  Supposedly you only got banned for being a repeat offender, although I don't know anyone who ever was banned for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

LOL!  I didn't mean anyone was psychic.  😛  I'm fairly certain I've seen GMs in AP when there were CCs that had a few of these questionable characters participating.  Maybe they didn't see them.  I just find it hard to imagine that they were never reported by at least one person in the months they've been tooling around the game.  Thanks for the reply though 🙂

Considering the "rule" has existed less than 24 hours (as of this posting), some of those may have been reported by players who thought there was a rule, but as there was no rule concurrent with those occurances, no generics were handed out and nobody but the ticket readers will ever know about any reports from any time prior to 24 hours ago.

Run-on sentences are my superpower!

22 minutes ago, Trademarked Name said:

I'm the only one that suffers!

You may not have intended it this way, but your previous post basically came across as declaring war on anyone who dared make any character remotely similar to anything in 24+ years of comic book history.  It felt very hostile and sounded like wanting a lot of others to suffer along with you.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

Considering the "rule" has existed less than 24 hours (as of this posting), some of those may have been reported by players who thought there was a rule, but as there was no rule concurrent with those occurances, no generics were handed out and nobody but the ticket readers will ever know about any reports from any time prior to 24 hours ago.

I believe that Shard was referring to the reporting of offensive/vulgar character names, which was separate from the new rule.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmmySky said:

My reply there had to do with offensively named characters, not any potential cosplays.    Two different things here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

I would remind everyone that they should remain civil and not assume others are intending to ruin anything.

The only issue for at all with this change is the fact there are players that think it's some moral judgement that they now have been vindicated to force on other players.

It's assuming nothing, look at the first few posts right in this thread.

We are told to be civil, and yet when some people clap, we are not allowed to clap back?

So on one hand, we are asked to be civil and act like adults and on the other hand, some posters are allowed to insult as they like...

Yeah...

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

This is like the opposite of what you whined about in other threads on the topic. 

I did not whine.

And, it really isn't the smartest thing to do, to start with ad hominems immediately after a GM reminds people to remain civil.

Besides which, in those "other threads", I distinctly remember relating the story of my Champions Online character, Patriot ... 14yo boy with Super Strength, Invulnerability, and Flight.  Very, very much inspired by the Kon-El "Superboy", down to the very same "tactile telekinesis" schtick.  But with his own story, not at all related to any DC property.

And one of his alternate costumes ... oh hell, let me see if I remember my CO login credentials ... and install the game ... this could take a while.  I'll come back edit in some screenshots when it's done.  EDIT:  seems I didn't keep that costume around, after all.  Shame, I remember if being quite good.

Anyway, one of his costumes is very much "Superman/Superboy".  I made it as his halloween costume ... he's a kid, only fourteen.  Superman is, in-character, sort of his idol / role-model.  So of course that's what he chose for Halloween.

... that's cosplay.  Not theft of the Superman character from DC.

Edited by PaxArcana
  • Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism