How do I get interested in this character?

Heraclea

I always started new characters for the Halloween event, to level them with Trick or Treat.  This time I tried to start a Dominator, mostly because it's relatively new to me, and I have plenty of tankers, scrappers, brutes, and at least one stalker. I also wanted a control character without having to worry about heals, buffs, debuffs, or pets.  I also wanted to tinker with the new leaping as a travel power.

Ordinarily when I did this I'd level by grinding trick or treat.  This character absolutely sucks at that at least solo.  She got to level 18 on DfB and Posi 1.  She  is mind/fire.  Despite 2XP she is painfully slow because of permadebt.  The lack of mez protection is extremely painful here.  I don't yet have a damage resist power to mule KB protection.  So she draws a werewolf and gets golfed from here to wherever.  Or she draws a boss that needs two applications of her mezzes and won't be given time.  I trash any insp that isn't a break free, and fill her tray with nothing but in the hospital where she lives. 

Is this a team only character?  Or am I doing something wrong?

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

First, Doms don't get along with Elite Bosses. I'm leveling a plant/martial dom right now, and I almost quit the character because EB's would drop kick me into next Tuesday when I couldn't hit Dominate. So I turned them off. (Boss=no). That one change completely turned my leveling experience around. I also chose a pretty strong AT combo. I'm not that into plant, but Confuse is a very powerful ability. Combined with martial, it does very well at range with some melee to boot. And honestly, I don't feel bad about turning EB's off. It has that big of an effect on leveling for me.

• Like 3

If you have a confuse power then EBs should not be any problem, as long as you have enough patience. Would not work in T-o-T, since you get aggroed by the mobs immediately.  But in missions, whenever I run across a boss or elite boss they almost always have at least one min. or Lt. nearby.  I just confuse them, they attack their boss, when he is half health (or less depending on the character) I then finish him off. With the help of my new friend to boot.

As long as they don't have the purple triangles thing going on your can also just confuse THEM while outside aggro range, until you stack up enough to make them you buddy, then THEY kill all their old buddies and will stand there quietly as you mess them up. Of course, you need to make sure you renew it enough. Or stack up some other mez.

Helps to have a stealth power of some sort too, since running into one unannounced is a quick trip to the hospital.

• Like 2

I definitely plan to take a stealth power on the character eventually.  Job one is to get the top tier power from the new pool since it seems the path of least resistance to mule the -KB IO I have in the base.

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, MunkiLord said:

I think trick or treating is making the lower levels more difficult than the typical experience. More bosses and automatic aggro combined with frequent to-hit debuffs is extra difficult, especially when Domination 

This is true. Especially for a Mind who has options for softening up a spawn pre aggro (confuse, fear & aoe sleep). But ambushes and ToT youre gonna eat the alpha. Domis suck at eating alphas.

Controllers are a little better since most have Secondary options to buff themselves or have debuffs up and running (things like debuff auras and placables) to at least soften the alpha. 

Ive never played Mind/Fire but does the DoT interfere with the Fears and AoE?Sleeps when soloing (you cant aoe damage em them immediately send them to sleep). The Fear doesnt come with a -ToHit either if I remember right so DoTs might be disrupting some of your mezzes. 

25 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

Domis suck at eating alphas.

This is truth! Last night I wanted to push my Dark/Stone Dom so I did a Carnie mission at +2x8 with bosses. When I was careful about starting fights I was able to handle it, though several close calls. When I tried just jumping in, the Carnies beat me up and took my lunch money. 

Edited by MunkiLord

I'll echo what's being said here.  Dominators truly shine once you get slotting and perma domination.  The first thing I remade when I came back was a Mind/Dark dom and I found it such a struggle playing regular missions in the early levels until I was able to get SOs.  Being low on money and no auction house at the moment the first things I traded in for was the Miracle and Numina +endurance uniques, you'll want to build up your endurance so you can throw out as many AoE controls that you can.  

The powers you'll want to get at minimum are Mesmerize, Dominate, Confuse, Terrify and Mass Confusion.  And get in a groove about using Domination at better times until you can get it perma, you dont want to not use it and let it go to waste but also want to have it for when you'll need it most.  Once you get slotting its much more fun and easier to use solo.  

After you get your engine better situated doms really call for an aggressive playstyle.  Stick with it they're late bloomers and boy are they fun when you get a feel for it.  

Edited by Mezmera

Some comments about the OP's experiences:

1: Mind/Fire is a VERY strong build in my experience. But it really shines, even before perma-Dom, by being able to initiate combat. When you don't have to worry about being mezzed or knocked down by enemy bosses because said bosses are Confused and fighting for you, the fight is completely different. When the spawn is insta-aggroed on you, whether from ToT or from mission ambushes, things become far tougher.

2: Like other Dominators, you're dependent on hitting. You don't have many click self-buffs or even toggle buffs, so unlike even Blasters, you don't have any way of mitigating incoming damage if you can't hit. So being mezzed or suffering -ToHit debuffs is a really big problem.

Now, there are some ways to handle these problems even in ToT situations:

1: Hover will protect you from knockback-heavy mobs, and will keep you out of melee range when you are having problems mezzing a Boss

2: Mesmerize is a one-shot mez on a Boss, even without Domination. Slot it for Accuracy since you really don't want to miss with it, but it will give you a chance to put a Boss to sleep, then Confuse him twice, and then wake him up with damage and let him fight for you, even in a ToT or ambush situation

3: Levitate will take a Boss out of a fight for some seconds, so you can go Dominate-Levitate-Dominate, and limit incoming attacks from the Boss. Long as you don't miss. Or you could go Dominate-Mesmerize-Dominate, for the same effect.

4: Because missing is a huge problem, get the Kismet: +Accuracy IO early.

5: If you don't want to invest in Hover to protect against Knockback, remember that you can get Knockback protection from Travel power IOs, also.

This is NOT a teaming-only character. My Mind/Fire soloed very successfully through Praetoria and has soloed an AV. However, it IS a character that is overpowered when it gets to dictate the engagement, versus quite weak when the engagement dictates itself. Since /Fire doesn't really have any mitigation, and it's hard to kill mobs fast enough in an ambush, you have to use the Mind Control options. You do get a Mass Sleep at that level that can help... frankly, for survival in your situation, Sleeps (AoE and single) may be a great tool.

• Like 6

Yeah, I soloed my mind/fire/fire exclusively, until level 41, at which point I started wanting to get TF badges and such. However, I had a finalized build in mind, one I played back on Live, and was buying attuned set IOs along the way, allowing my to achieve perma-dom by level 33. This was my first character, so it's entirely doable to get that kind of inf without an existing 50, but you really have to know exactly what you want and how to most efficiently get it. Therefore, my experience may be different than somebody who is just trying to get by on dropped SOs, or whatever. I emphasize, though, that Dominators are the AT that most rewards IO investment, so I advise you to go big, or go home.

The build is ridiculous at endgame, but isn't particularly strong while leveling. Mind Control is a very polarized set: it's a bit weak normally, but arguably OP during domination, so your power spikes exponentially when you achieve perma-dom. The main issue is that (in my opinion) the most effective way to play the build is via hover and ranged defense, which means you can't take the melee and PBAoE powers from your secondary. This makes your DPS, pretty weak until you get Blaze and Fireball (though I suppose the snipe changes make it pretty effective now, too). You shouldn't have any issues locking down MOBs, but it can take a while to actually kill them. This can be mitigated by making liberal use of confuse, however.

As for EBs with purple triangles, you'll eventually be able to confuse them, regardless, but pre-perma-dom, you're only real option is to chew 4 purples to reach defense softcap, then munch as many reds as you can carry and nuke it down before your defenses drop. I ran my dom solo through all the First/Night Ward arcs, and the Sirocco patron arc, so I faced my fair share of tough EBs. Some of them required multiple attempts, but they all fell, eventually.

As the above poster said, Mind is basically unstoppable IF you can control when and how you engage your foes. Mind has some really great, reliable "oh crap!" buttons, notably the fast-recharging Mass Hypnosis, but unless you are building defense from your IO sets, it's entirely possible that auto-aggro MOBs, like ambushes, can kill you before you get the chance to react. This is one reason I think it's vital to build to softcapped defense, even when you mostly rely on active defenses like controls, because the game can be pretty merciless in how some missions exploit your build's weaknesses.

Finally, I know that, personally, I always lose interest in a character if I level too quickly. I don't know why, but when I skip significant portions of the leveling process, I just feel less invested in the character. That's why I didn't join a single team on my dom until 41, when my build was mostly matured and I was ready to start knocking out TFs. There are a lot of ways to enjoy the game, so if you find yourself losing interest in a character, maybe try doing something you've never tried before, like soloing to the level cap, following a chain of missions you've never done before, or something similar. It's always great to discover something new about the game you love!

Edited by The_Cheeseman
  • Like 1

Not sure if anyone else here has mentioned it, but I am pretty sure that sleep powers can take hold on a boss in one shot. You don't need to stack it twice or get the extra mag. At least, that is my experience on my mind controller. It won't keep you from getting hit that first time but you can dominate, sleep, wait for dominate to recharge and then stack another dominate on.  If you miss, you don't wake them and can usually get a second shot at dominate. Especially if you have two sleeps like mesmerize and mass hypnosis.  (I think that is what they're called)

A tactic I have found somewhat successful on my controller has been to drop mass hypnosis as soon as I see a boss. As long as you have a couple acc enhancements in it it will hit most of the time and that will give you the breathing room to do something else.

27 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

Not sure if anyone else here has mentioned it, but I am pretty sure that sleep powers can take hold on a boss in one shot. You don't need to stack it twice or get the extra mag. At least, that is my experience on my mind controller. It won't keep you from getting hit that first time but you can dominate, sleep, wait for dominate to recharge and then stack another dominate on.  If you miss, you don't wake them and can usually get a second shot at dominate. Especially if you have two sleeps like mesmerize and mass hypnosis.  (I think that is what they're called)

A tactic I have found somewhat successful on my controller has been to drop mass hypnosis as soon as I see a boss. As long as you have a couple acc enhancements in it it will hit most of the time and that will give you the breathing room to do something else.

A bit of a clarification, here. Mesmerize, the T1, damaging sleep power in Mind Control, has a baseline magnitude 4 sleep. This means that it can sleep a boss in one shot. However, since it also includes a damage component, it cannot stack further magnitude.

Mass Hypnosis is a magnitude 3 sleep, so it will take multiple applications to sleep bosses outside of domination. It is notable, however, that most AVs lack resistance to sleep and immobilize, so they can still be useful in situations where you need to keep an AV out of the fight for a time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The_Cheeseman said:

A bit of a clarification, here. Mesmerize, the T1, damaging sleep power in Mind Control, has a baseline magnitude 4 sleep. This means that it can sleep a boss in one shot. However, since it also includes a damage component, it cannot stack further magnitude.

Mass Hypnosis is a magnitude 3 sleep, so it will take multiple applications to sleep bosses outside of domination. It is notable, however, that most AVs lack resistance to sleep and immobilize, so they can still be useful in situations where you need to keep an AV out of the fight for a time.

Odd that bosses and AVs are so lacking in sleep resistance. I suppose all that evil planning and scheming kind'a tuckers em out and they find any offer of a nap hard to resist.

Thanks for the clarification, though. I knew Mesmerize would hold a boss without an "overpower" hit because I'd done it.  But I could also have sworn I'd slept them with mass hyp. Maybe I got an overpower hit when/if that actually worked?

2 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

I knew Mesmerize would hold a boss without an "overpower" hit because I'd done it.  But I could also have sworn I'd slept them with mass hyp. Maybe I got an overpower hit when/if that actually worked?

Mass Hypnosis has an unusually high chance to Overpower, at 50%.

2 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Mass Hypnosis has an unusually high chance to Overpower, at 50%.

That could explain it then. I usually open with mass hyp. which sets up containment, then dom. and lift on the biggest thing I think I can take out before the sleep wears off. If there are only three mobs I will alternate mez. on the other two to resleep them until I can kill the one I am working on. I usually take a pool attack power to fill out the damage attack chain. Currently flurry, because I didn't know about arcane bolt when I took it, but will likely switch to that or the Force of Will ranged attack, maybe both.

But that is all on a controller. My Dominator is stuck in the late teens early twenties because, like the OP, I just never *got* the character. Without containment he just did not seem to do as much damage as even a controller. It is fine with domination going that your holds last 50% longer but without containment it takes you TWICE as long to kills stuff. It seems like Domination should give you some kind of recharge bonus, a small one of like 10-15% maybe. 

Otherwise it's major benefit seems to be an acknowledgment that it is going to take you longer to kill stuff.

I play mostly controllers, though, so there may be something I am missing.

I wouldn't say that it takes Dominators twice as long to kill stuff without containment. Dominators have much higher AT damage scales, Controllers have 0.55 for ranged damage, while Dominators have 0.95, so Doms do almost double damage with the same power. Doms also have a damage focused secondary, while controllers are forced to try to maximize what damage they can from a control set and support set.

If you build it right, a Dom can do very respectable damage. As a SG-mate of mine once said about my Dom: "Fierna isn't really a Dominator, she's more like a Blaster with holds".

Mind/Fire is one of the most effiective Dom combos.

OP, Dominators(and Blasters) have a much different play style than other classes do. As a player, you have to have a lot of Situational Awareness. You may be using a bad rotation, and may be slotting your powers in a manner that's not helping too. Also, ToT is a bit different from normal content, so that may be an issue as well.

A Dom's primary *is* their defensive power set. You are nothing without it. Slot first for Accuracy on all primary powers. Mass Hypnosis, Mezmerize and Dominate will be your bread & butter powers for  most of your ride to 50. Dominators also juggle targets a lot.

Open with Mass Hypnosis.

Dominate Enemy #1.

Set him of fire.

Use Mezmerize on Enemy #3 to keep him locked down for the duration.

Dominate Enemy #2 once Enemy #1 has been eliminated.

Rinse. Repeat.

• Like 1

Years back I had a fire/fire dom that struggled to solo in his teens.  The single target immob is what got me past it -- string them out while retreating.

Now I'm struggling with an electric/martial, experimenting with all that knockdown.  Bosses tend to fall down on one application, but AVs not so much.  I wish martial got the blaster's Chi Push.

I do think I need to burn another respec on the character.  I'm now at 34,  although I skipped a few TFs that I need to revisit because part of the levelling was when I joined somebody's fire farm and got boosted from 19 to 30. 

I took the whole primary when it seems some things have very limited value (Telekinesis) and most of the secondary.  What the character seems to need more than anything is attacks that do damage.  My tankers of a similar level kill stuff faster than she does. 

I also gather that I will eventually want a lot of Luck of the Gambler mules, so I'm probably going to respec out of Force of Will and go back to Leaping, for Combat Jumping.  May keep Project Will.  Am almost comfortable enough with the character that I can think about what a wish list build for her would look like.  How does something like this look to the pros here?

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Medeia: Level 50 Science Dominator
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Assault
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Mesmerize -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:50(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(43), Thn-Dmg/Rchg:50(45)
Level 1: Flares -- EntChs-Acc/Dmg:35(A), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx:35(7), EntChs-Dmg/Rchg:35(34), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(43), EntChs-Heal%:35(50)
Level 2: Dominate -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold:30(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg:30(7), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold:30(11), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold:30(31), BslGaz-Slow%:30(50)
Level 4: Levitate -- EntChs-Acc/Dmg:35(A), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx:35(9), EntChs-Dmg/Rchg:35(11), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(34), EntChs-Heal%:35(48)
Level 6: Project Will -- EntChs-Acc/Dmg:35(A), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx:35(9), EntChs-Dmg/Rchg:35(34), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(45), EntChs-Heal%:35(48)
Level 8: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx:50(13)
Level 10: Mass Hypnosis -- CaloftheS-Acc/Rchg:50(A), CaloftheS-Acc/EndRdx:50(15), CaloftheS-Acc/Sleep/Rchg:50(17), CaloftheS-EndRdx/Sleep:50(42), CaloftheS-Heal%:50(43)
Level 12: Confuse -- MlsIll-Acc/Rchg:50(A), MlsIll-Acc/EndRdx:50(13), MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg:50(15), MlsIll-EndRdx/Conf:50(31), MlsIll-Dam%:50(50)
Level 14: Fire Breath -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg:50(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(17), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg:50(46), PstBls-Dmg/Rng:50(48)
Level 16: Fire Blast -- Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(A), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(19), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(40), Apc-Dmg:50(46)
Level 18: Total Domination -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold:30(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg:30(21), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold:30(21), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold:30(42), BslGaz-Slow%:30(45), EssofCrr-Acc/Rchg:30(46)
Level 20: Combustion -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg:50(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg:50(23), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(23), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg:50(42)
Level 22: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(25), RechRdx-I:50(25)
Level 26: Terrify -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg:50(A), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(27), Ngh-Acc/Rchg:50(27)
Level 28: Consume -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg:50(A), PrfShf-Acc/Rchg:50(29), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc:50(29), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(37)
Level 30: Embrace of Fire -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(31)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- Prp-Acc/Rchg:50(A), Prp-Acc/EndRdx:50(33), Prp-Acc/Conf/Rchg:50(33), Prp-Rchg/Conf:50(33)
Level 35: Blazing Bolt -- ClbAcc-Acc/Dmg:50(A), ClbAcc-Acc/EndRdx:50(36), ClbAcc-Acc/ActRdx:50(36), ClbAcc-Acc/Rng:50(36), ClbAcc-Acc/Rchg:50(37), ClbAcc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(37)
Level 38: Blaze -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg:40(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx:40(39), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg:40(39), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:40(39), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:40(40), Dcm-Build%:40(40)
Level 41: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 44: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 49: Hoarfrost -- StdPrt-ResKB:30(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:40(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(3), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(5)
------------

One virtue of having a character like this is that she may get to absorb a lot of the junk set IOs that accumulate in the base and that mostly get gambled away on converters.

You could keep Force of Will it's got some nice utility but not in the attacks.  I'd drop the attack and take the debuff and slot an Achilles heel proc into it, -33% resist is real noticeable.  Unleash Potential is nice as well and you can slot a gambler into that.  As for other power pools hasten is a key power to take and the leadership pool for 2 gambler mules and tactics.  

I'd drop Levitate, Mass Hypnosis and either Total Domination or Terrify along with Combat Jump.  Dominators get a fantastic variety to choose from in their epics.  If you want a heal I'd recommend Mu Mastery, you get a shield, a godmode and a healing pet that also adds to your damage.  Or you could go fire epic and pump out that fire damage.  

Mind/Fire doms are one of the best dom combos there are in terms of damage along with control.  You'll want to focus your damage with your fire attacks while Fiery Embrace is active.  Usually you'll want to lead in with one of your AoE controls like Mass Confusion, Terrify or Total Domination and then go to town with your fire balls.   I don't play /fire doms but from the looks of it you may have a few too many fire attacks.  As soon as Blaze and Blazing Bolt are recharged you want to fire those and with good recharge that'll be often so some of those other fire attacks will go unused.   

On 10/3/2019 at 7:55 AM, Heraclea said:

She got to level 18 on DfB and Posi 1.  She  is mind/fire.  Despite 2XP she is painfully slow because of permadebt.  The lack of mez protection is extremely painful here.  I don't yet have a damage resist power to mule KB protection.  So she draws a werewolf and gets golfed from here to wherever.  Or she draws a boss that needs two applications of her mezzes and won't be given time.  I trash any insp that isn't a break free, and fill her tray with nothing but in the hospital where she lives. 

You probably didn't do yourself any favors starting off with /fire but mind/ should have you covered.  I don't see why you can't sleep the werewolf or if its a boss, use levitate while you're stacking holds.  I rarely put KB protection in my squishies until later (like lvl 30+) and it's manageable.  Until your build matures, use Domination defensively.  That is, if you're dry on END, pop Domination.  If you miss your hold and you get KB'ed or mezzed, pop Domination.  If you see multiple bosses about to engage you, pop Domination.  Later when you get more recharge in your build you can afford to use Domination offensively.

I have no idea why you'd have trouble as mind/ is quite good solo.  I know the ToT mobs can be tough (I think their level is not what you'd encounter in instances) but so long as you can land your controls, it should be normal barrel fish shooting.

• Like 1

I like Wall of Force on a Dominator, you can put Force Feedback into it and get a pretty consistent Recharge boost as long as you're hitting multiple targets.

As Mezmera said, Weaken Resolve(?) with an Achilles Heel proc is quite good. You can actually also put a couple of damage procs into it as they will have a 90% chance to proc.

Taking every attack from the secondary is kind of weakening your damage... you can't really slot up all those attacks and also all of the controls. I didn't take the melee range powers since I wanted all ranged. While Incinerate isn't a bad attack, Fire Blast, Blaze and Blazing Bolt are all excellent attacks and it's hard to slot and use all 4 especially with mixing in Domination and Confuse.