I want to play an Archer, help?

QuillReaver

I've been wanting to play an archery character, but I can't decide between a Defender, Corruptor, or Blaster.

Can anyone help explain how these three builds would differ significantly?

Archery/Tactical Arrow Blaster

Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor

Trick Arrow/Archery Defender

I mostly played melee characters on live, been playing mostly support characters since coming back to CoH, but I'd like to give ranged a try now!

Blaster = heavy damage some holds little defense 

Controller = heavy holds some damage some buffs

Defender = heavy buffs some damage some holds

It depends on what you want to be best at, defeating or supporting (yourself or others) buffs also includes debuffs to the enemy.

Good luck!

Edited by EmmySky
Autocorrect lol debuts

Playing a Trick Arrow/Archery defender is a bit rough solo.  IMO it does well on teams, but is a bit "undervalued."  It can also involve a lot of footwork and tactical positioning - I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't played a "busy" defender before.  That said, I'm running one now, and having as much fun with it as I did in the original COH.

Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to Trick or Tactical Arrow?  I'm also running an Archery/Martial Combat blaster, and finding it suprisingly fun.

5 hours ago, Lines said:

I enjoyed the beans out of Archery/TA, and I don't normally like playing Blasters. It just felt satisfying from the get go and got interesting as time went on.

My experience exactly. My Archery/Tac Arrow Blaster might be my favorite character ever. Great single-target damage and very good AoE and control. Great solo and in teams. The sustain power (Eagle Eye) in Tac Arrow will spoil you.

Edited by Knuck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

There's also, of course, Ninjas / Trick Arrow Mastermind!
Endurance hungry as hell, but I had one around the high 40s on Live back in the day.

Oh no ... NEVER play Ninjas/Trick Arrow.

Friends do not lets friends play Ninjas/Trick Arrow.  They don't even suggest playing it.

I speak from experience.

I played Ninjas/Trick Arrow on Virtue, and the combination is NOT GOOD.

The Ninjas fold like pre-creased origami rice paper when even glanced at by hostile foes if they aren't supported by your secondary powerset ... and Trick Arrows does next to nothing to support Mastermind Pets in their survivability.

However, if you're a serious self-hating masochist who lives to be frustrated ... by all means ... play Ninjas/Trick Arrow!

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

You may also give a thought to looking outside of doubling up on Arrow in both your primary and secondary. My very first character on Legacy CoH was Kin/Arch, you can also combine it with Force Field or Sonic.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

9 hours ago, Beul said:

Archery/TA Blaster is pure OP fun.

Fixed that for you. 😜

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer