Smaller teams? YES!

Shred Monkey

23 hours ago, Felis Noctu said:

The incarnate system was leading up to content that was likely intended for them, or at least options for that level of power, but we never made it there.

Yup.  The storyline was leading up to the Coming Storm - the Battalion.  They were what Incarnates were intended to fight. 

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

To me, the game is a superhero/villain creator set whose object is to create the most powerful character you know how, and demonstrate that power by stomping all over the enemies provided to test them against. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 10/24/2019 at 2:58 AM, Sakidave said:

Because after level 38, it gets boring. All it is is button mashing.

And pre 38, in particular pre 20, ALL it is is button mashing, mixed with waiting for powers to recharge, and not using powers so you don't run out of end.

I like small teams, I like large ones, but playing exclusively with powers not fully slotted? I'll be right.

I've wished a lot for this game to have a team cap of 6 instead of 8. In addition to the complete lack of difficulty, it's just too much... Noise.

Realising I'm the odd man out with how much I low-man, and in an effort to not be a hateful shit, I would at least like to see incentives for smaller parties.

Given I'm one of the folks that would like to see story arcs level you at a rate competitive with AE, I'd say scaling (EDIT: STORY) mission completion bonuses inversely with party size would be a good start (say, 20% more xp for 6 people, and 20% more for each additional "missing" person).

Edited by Replacement

6 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I've wished a lot for this game to have a team cap of 6 instead of 8. In addition to the complete lack of difficulty, it's just too much... Noise.

Realising I'm the odd man out with how much I low-man, and in an effort to not be a hateful shit, I would at least like to see incentives for smaller parties.

Given I'm one of the folks that would like to see story arcs level you at a rate competitive with AE, I'd say scaling mission completion bonuses inversely with party size would be a good start (say, 20% more xp for 6 people, and 20% more for each additional "missing" person).

I think I'd counter with the concept that the game already offers the choice/opportunity for you to make things more challenging for yourself, and any like-minded individuals that team with you.  But, I wouldn't like to see the devs devoting precious time to changing something that need not be changed in order for you to play in your preferred style.  I'd rather they bring never before seen features, and content to the game that everyone can enjoy, rather than locking down play styles so that everyone has no choice but to play as a segment of the player base prefers. 

What was no more, is REBORN!

3 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

I think I'd counter with the concept that the game already offers the choice/opportunity for you to make things more challenging for yourself, and any like-minded individuals that team with you.  But, I wouldn't like to see the devs devoting precious time to changing something that need not be changed in order for you to play in your preferred style.  I'd rather they bring never before seen features, and content to the game that everyone can enjoy, rather than locking down play styles so that everyone has no choice but to play as a segment of the player base prefers. 

I can understand the argument of dev time, for sure.

But locking down seems a bit dramatic for some bonus mission completion XP.  That's not forcing anyone to do anything. 

Ah -- I just reread my post and see the important bit I missed. I would specifically like to see story mission completion get a low-man bonus.

I want to be for a low-man bonus, it just makes sense to have reward and noterietay for such a simple tweak.

BUT there would likely be concerns about abuse and the idea is somewhat contrary to being a teaming game built to bring a mix of levels along for the adventure.

It is truly amazing even today the flexibility built into the game.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

Well, see, I have about 7 friends that I regularly play with. Well, actually 4 or 5 usually show up for Agent Night. with a couple more that pop in occasionally. That makes for a possible team of 8. Coincidentally, that's the max team limit. So, we can all actually play on the same team and have fun together. rather than a couple of us being forced to not team with the rest of us and probably end up not paying any more.

I like the team limit where it is.

And for difficulty on my 50 brute, I set my notoriety up to about x6 or so. Currently, its at x8 dealing with mobs whose damage type is easily resisted.

For those days when it's just 4 of us Agents, we tend to have the notoriety setting at x6 or x8 because 2 MMs take care of practically anything.

As for XP bonus for low-man mission completions? you're already getting an XP bonus by not splitting the XP from mobs with anyone else. crank up your notoriety team size and gain even more XP. Oh, and make every mission a defeat all.

Yeah, if there were any low-man bonuses, I'd probably have them cap at 2-4 people (meaning there's no further benefit to soloing).

@Twisted Toon Kindly note that I never said it should be pulled back to 6. I can selfishly wish the universe was one thing while acknowledging a solution that is objectively better.

And I think I have a solution that fits:

Story arcs simply aren't ran regularly with full teams. Full teams run TFs or Radios. So give story arcs scaling low man benefits.

2 henchmen with one hurl boulder.

Edited by Replacement

Why do you need a bonus to play the way it's more fun for you to play?

Really, why?

If you like to play with smaller teams and it is more fun to you, then play with smaller teams and have more fun.

Why does there have to be an in-game increase in rewards?

If you play for the increase in rewards, then you are playing for rewards, not to have fun in smaller teams, IMO.

I mostly solo for the very reason the game is mostly easymode once you have mastered it, it makes it fun.

1-4 is perfect for me, so that's what I play, the rewards fall like candy at this point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jubakumbi said:

Really, why?

If you like to play with smaller teams and it is more fun to you, then play with smaller teams and have more fun.

Why does there have to be an in-game increase in rewards?

If you play for the increase in rewards, then you are playing for rewards, not to have fun in smaller teams, IMO.

I mostly solo for the very reason the game is mostly easymode once you have mastered it, it makes it fun.

1-4 is perfect for me, so that's what I play, the rewards fall like candy at this point.

I'm sorry in advance if I let it bleed through that I've had a very long and annoying day, but I'm really tired of this "find your own joy" argument presented like the high road, when you're just defending an imbalanced status quo.

This is a game where anyone can get to level 50 in 4 hours, and yet I have played 300+ hours and don't have a single level 50.  I made this bed, I'm not complaining about it, but recognize that ridiculous difference between people here for the content, and people who need that character select screen to say "50".

But I mostly solo.  Sometimes I get to play with people I know IRL.  Would I like to occasionally party with randos and truly engage with this community?  Yes.  Will I? No, because I will feel bad making them hunt 30 Tsoo in IP for whatever first-gen story arc I felt fit this current character, and oh look now we gotta run to boomtown.  I will feel bad making them wait while I read the mission text.  And most importantly, I will feel bad for making them endure subpar XP in my 4-man party struggling through spawns.

I like reading the stories, I do not AE farm, and I like small parties.  But I am so done with Shauna Stockwell and Officer Wincott.

(sidenote: I've never cared to collect all badges or experience all content on a single character, and I realize this is probably a quirk.  I much prefer finding story arcs that match my current character and occasionally join random groups just for a 1-3 level bump to get to the next arc I'm eyeing).

Regardless: I want to emphasize that Abraxus had it right on the money: no matter how nice it might be to try to bridge the gap some, there are probably better things to spend our entirely-volunteer dev time on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Replacement said:

I like reading the stories, I do not AE farm, and I like small parties.  But I am so done with Shauna Stockwell and Officer Wincott.

(sidenote: I've never cared to collect all badges or experience all content on a single character, and I realize this is probably a quirk.  I much prefer finding story arcs that match my current character and occasionally join random groups just for a 1-3 level bump to get to the next arc I'm eyeing).

I dont really dive into the RP aspect of the game much (if I chat its my voice not my characters voice) but each of my toons has quirks and playstyle of their own.  Baby Hero cant talk to contacts as they can't understand what shes saying so she street sweeps and jumps on teams.  My PB and WS do their specific arcs because they are aliens and need to.  My widows and soldiers are heroes so they have to find their way.  My namesake sentinel is a solo artist who soloed the hollows.  Some toons do only radios.  You aren't alone in reading mission text or chasing arcs.  

I dont lead teams because I did enough of that on live and also because I dont want to inconvenience people by dragging them through my piddly choices.  

FYI the Midnighter arc (lvl 20 hero side) is nice until you run 9 toons through it back to back.  Ditto with Laura Lockhart (I think that's her name) although I do enjoy the focus on 5th column there that is missing in much of the rest of the game.

Some may think I'm joking, but there were some references to "Power Creep" in this thread. I read that..and my mind goes back to a day when people would complain about getting nerfed and not feeling "super" anymore. But, that's a nice derailing thread, so I'll stop there and say, "Let's not (discuss it) and say we did." 

If you really want to increase the challenge in game, have you considered time spent in X mission or X TF to be a gauge as to your abilities? If said content is so trivial for you, finish the LRSF in 10 minutes. Coordinate with your friends and decide who will get incan, who will get various interfaces, etc  to get yourselves the fastest time possible. 

Maybe that's not your cup of tea, and you want +5 content. As I understand it, it's not possible yet. Maybe some day. In the meantime - the biggest thing you can do to increase your challenge is simply do nothing but PUGs. You'll have no idea what kind of treat you're in store for. TF leaders that go afk at the beginning of a mission with some emergency...but never return, after an hour. Or worse, a non-leader doing the same thing, but the leader refuses to kick them, stalling the teams progress. 

The biggest challenge (and blessing) this game has are the people that play it. They make difficult content easy,  and more often than I'd like to think about, easy content difficult. Like in Pen Yin, when someone clicks the terminals right away, instead of dealing with the mobs that are already there. Not impossible, but the increase in mobs does make it more difficult.

Quit your SGs! Those people are making you too comfortable! Teaming with people you know? That's just nuts if you want a challenge. Try going solo at level 12 at +4/8. Try going solo at +4/8 on every AT. Try it on a tank, you'll live, but it will take you a long while to finish those mobs. Try it on an AT you're not comfortable with, and you might find the difficulty more than you can manage. A +4/8 with freakshow is one thing - with Banished Pantheon or Malta or Carnies is something else entirely. 

Lastly - just stop slotting enhancements. That'll make the game super tough. I would never go that route; I hate to miss. But if you want it harder, that's the way to go. 

16 hours ago, Replacement said:

I'm sorry in advance if I let it bleed through that I've had a very long and annoying day, but I'm really tired of this "find your own joy" argument presented like the high road, when you're just defending an imbalanced status quo.

This is a game where anyone can get to level 50 in 4 hours, and yet I have played 300+ hours and don't have a single level 50.  I made this bed, I'm not complaining about it, but recognize that ridiculous difference between people here for the content, and people who need that character select screen to say "50".

But I mostly solo.  Sometimes I get to play with people I know IRL.  Would I like to occasionally party with randos and truly engage with this community?  Yes.  Will I? No, because I will feel bad making them hunt 30 Tsoo in IP for whatever first-gen story arc I felt fit this current character, and oh look now we gotta run to boomtown.  I will feel bad making them wait while I read the mission text.  And most importantly, I will feel bad for making them endure subpar XP in my 4-man party struggling through spawns.

Regardless: I want to emphasize that Abraxus had it right on the money: no matter how nice it might be to try to bridge the gap some, there are probably better things to spend our entirely-volunteer dev time on.

What you call an "imbalanced status quo", I call City of Heroes.

Are characters in comcs balanced? Nope.

Are Hawkeye and Thor balanced? Nope.

There no need for there to be "balance', especially at a stage where this game running on rogue servers exixts.

This idea of balance, IMO, comes from 'I paid the same money for the game, I deserve the rewards/content that exists'.

There is simply no possible way for any game company, even with unlimited funds, to make all players happy, it is a lost cause.

Personally, it's always been easy for me - am I having fun? - Keep playing - am I no longer having fun? - Stop playing.

The entire premise of trying to alter online games to my preferences is distasteful to me; it's like telling an artist I like your painting, but could you add more green, I like green.

I take games for what they offer, I don't have some burining need to make all game developers bend to my will.

On 10/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, jubakumbi said:

I think the suggestion was for it to encourage more players to play like he does.

• Thanks 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I think trying to rebalance existing rewards against different playstyles is a losing battle. I’m all for distinct rewards to encourage playing in a variety of ways, though.

How that would work with smaller teams, I don’t know. It probably doesn’t need to. I like smaller teams because they give my scrappers a chance to actually hit a few things with more than two punches; I dunno if I need to be rewarded more than that.

But as we’ve seem from many other MMOs, too many currencies spoil the broth.

2 hours ago, Lines said:

smaller teams ... give my scrappers a chance to actually hit a few things with more than two punches

Fair point, on good teams I often don't get a chance to pull even half of my tricks out of the hat before everyone's just laying on the ground around us.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/30/2019 at 11:19 AM, jubakumbi said:

What you call an "imbalanced status quo", I call City of Heroes.

Are characters in comcs balanced? Nope.

Are Hawkeye and Thor balanced? Nope.

There no need for there to be "balance', especially at a stage where this game running on rogue servers exixts.

This idea of balance, IMO, comes from 'I paid the same money for the game, I deserve the rewards/content that exists'.

There is simply no possible way for any game company, even with unlimited funds, to make all players happy, it is a lost cause.

Personally, it's always been easy for me - am I having fun? - Keep playing - am I no longer having fun? - Stop playing.

The entire premise of trying to alter online games to my preferences is distasteful to me; it's like telling an artist I like your painting, but could you add more green, I like green.

I take games for what they offer, I don't have some burining need to make all game developers bend to my will.

Hey, I'm not going to post in this thread anymore.  It's clear there's no support for my suggestion.

I just want you to know this was very uncool of you.  NONE of this is on-topic of what I was talking about.  All you did was assign me false arguments for you to knock down, told me I'm ruining the designer's art and pushing my will on others (mind: for a change that would have no adverse effects on current play styles and instead create a new one).

Your high horse is misplaced.

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Replacement said:

Hey, I'm not going to post in this thread anymore.  It's clear there's no support for my suggestion.

I just want you to know this was very uncool of you.  NONE of this is on-topic of what I was talking about.  All you did was assign me false arguments for you to knock down, told me I'm ruining the designer's art and pushing my will on others (mind: for a change that would have no adverse effects on current play styles and instead create a new one).

Your high horse is misplaced.

OK, I was talking about balance and how I think it will never exist.

I love your idea, I play on smaller teams all the time.

I simply don't see a need to change games, where others do.

Never meant to pee in your cereal.