Information display

On the toon select screen, can we have more information available?  Maybe a pop-up that shows the toon's stats or something?

In-game, can we have an easier way to see how much infl a toon currently has?

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

I think that Influence is a monitorable attribute, so you should be able to enter something like this:   /monitor_attribute Influence

Which should create a small window showing your influence, which you can then move around where ever you'd like it to be.  Or it will add it to your current list of monitored attributes if you are already monitoring some. I've never tried, it as Influence shows on the Auction House menu and on the Character Info screen and I haven't had a need to see my influence on an ongoing basis.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hardship said:

I think that Influence is a monitorable attribute, so you should be able to enter something like this:   /monitor_attribute Influence

Which should create a small window showing your influence, which you can then move around where ever you'd like it to be.  Or it will add it to your current list of monitored attributes if you are already monitoring some. I've never tried, it as Influence shows on the Auction House menu and on the Character Info screen and I haven't had a need to see my influence on an ongoing basis.

Just logged in before heading out to test, and yes that works

1 hour ago, Hardship said:

Would be nice if you could monitor more than ten items though.

As I keep saying every time this topic comes up (and it's often - which, I acknowledge, shows that there's a demand for it), the amount of real estate on the login screen is finite.  Personally, I would rather err on the side of "display only essential information, keep clutter to a minimum."  The issue, of course, is that different people have different ideas as to what is "essential" and what is "clutter".

17 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

As I keep saying every time this topic comes up (and it's often - which, I acknowledge, shows that there's a demand for it), the amount of real estate on the login screen is finite.  Personally, I would rather err on the side of "display only essential information, keep clutter to a minimum."  The issue, of course, is that different people have different ideas as to what is "essential" and what is "clutter".

While I agree with your overall sentiment, there is more than enough wasted space surrounding the character to accommodate a plethora of information. 

1 hour ago, nekkidtruth said:

While I agree with your overall sentiment, there is more than enough wasted space surrounding the character to accommodate a plethora of information. 

Blank space is not necessarily wasted.  Consider a hypothetical book printed with the absolute minimum margins to allow for binding - pages and pages with solid blocks of text.  Many readers would probably find that exhausting.

This is an extreme example, of course, but I hope I have made my point:  "wasted" space can be as important as content when it comes to presenting information clearly.

EDIT:  I also acknowledge that one possible solution is making some additional information available on an opt-in/out basis, via toggleable/customizable displays.  The question then becomes whether it is possible and/or practical for the current dev team to make such changes to the UI.

Edited by Megajoule

6 minutes ago, Megajoule said:

Blank space is not necessarily wasted.  Consider a hypothetical book printed with the absolute minimum margins to allow for binding - pages and pages with solid blocks of text.  Many readers would probably find that exhausting.

This is an extreme example, of course, but I hope I have made my point:  "wasted" space can be as important as content when it comes to presenting information clearly.

Your example was indeed extreme and doesn't really hold any relevance here as this isn't a book. There is a LOT of wasted space on the character selection screen. Yes, wasted is the correct term as it's serving no purpose at all. A closer example would be a near half page margin in a book.

I don't believe there's any risk of overcrowding it in it's current state.

Edited by nekkidtruth

Just now, Megajoule said:

There's a lot of "wasted" space in your userpic, come to think of it.  You could put a lot more stuff on it.  Why haven't you?

I'm aware of how much wasted space is in my avatar. But kudos to you for trying to make this personal? 🤷‍♂️

My point is, I'm sure you have reasons for preferring a minimalist avatar.  Are you willing to consider the possibility that the people who designed the login screens might also have reasons for the design choices they made, and not putting in all the information they might have?

8 hours ago, Display Name said:

In-game, can we have an easier way to see how much infl a toon currently has?

On your powers tray, click the "Combat attributes" link, then from the resulting menu that comes up, right click any attribute you want to track and choose that option.  It''l then show up as a mini menu/window on your main screen, which you can move to wherever you want.

5 minutes ago, nekkidtruth said:

Of course I consider that. I'm not sure why it's necessary to speak to me like I'm incapable of understanding an opposing view. The issue is in this case, it's inherently silly because there's so much space. 🙄

In my experience, a great number of people in this forum and others are not.  😕

1 hour ago, biostem said:

On your powers tray, click the "Combat attributes" link, then from the resulting menu that comes up, right click any attribute you want to track and choose that option.  It''l then show up as a mini menu/window on your main screen, which you can move to wherever you want.

That doesn't work for tracking influence.

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

1 hour ago, Display Name said:

That doesn't work for tracking influence.

Yes it does - there is literally an item listed called "Influence".  It's further down in the list.

Here's s screenshot, for reference:

combat attributes snip v2.jpg

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nekkidtruth said:

I don't believe there's any risk of overcrowding it in it's current state.

You've got an opinion, it's gonna take a lot to drag that away from you. There's likely nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do.

Edited by Troo
edited for clarity

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum