COMBAT TELEPORT PLEASE

After trying Martial Training on Blasters, the Burst of Speed power is not only much too good (almost instant and spammable to a degree)... the Teleport pool power also needs a "combat teleport" (after all, X-Men's Nightcrawler is a thing).

It's okay if it's a diminished version (less range, only 2 uses before entering cooldown), but plenty of characters need it (especially melee ones... sorry if I mention the-game-that-should-not-be-named, but "lunge" powers really make a difference for melee types).

I know Athletics has one... but the 2 minutes cooldown really kills most of its utility.

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

If the combat teleport can hit multiple foes in succession and have the fight action feel "fluid" would be great, perhaps leaving blurred afterimages at each foe attacked.

A power that feels "inspired by" Nightcrawler without being a rip-off.

For visual reference a look at Nightcrawlers teleport attack. (Not expecting the same exact thing, just something different that works in a similar style.)

Have you seen Vorpal Judgement in the Incarnate Abilities? The animation is very close to being just what you described. It is a Multi Target Melee Cone attack ( 80-120 ft, 80-120 degree, 20-40 max targets ) and deals extreme smashing damage and may cause lethal damage over time. They may be able to rework it into more of a moderate damage melee and reuse a tweaked version of the animation.

Below is a Video.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

13 minutes ago, Marine X said:

Have you seen Vorpal Judgement in the Incarnate Abilities? The animation is very close to being just what you described. It is a Multi Target Melee Cone attack ( 80-120 ft, 80-120 degree, 20-40 max targets ) and deals extreme smashing damage and may cause lethal damage over time. They may be able to rework it into more of a moderate damage melee and reuse a tweaked version of the animation.

That looks great, it's good to see something that could work.

On live I remember using a different Judgement, thanks for linking that video.

3 hours ago, WhiteNightingale said:

It's okay if it's a diminished version (less range, only 2 uses before entering cooldown)

A 2 (or 3) use power that then goes into a cooldown would go a long way to capturing the right feel for the power.

Shield Charge from the Tanker Primary has a very TPish animation and may fit as a mid tier assault as well. The only problem I foresee is that it would almost have to be a Tanker/Brute/Scrapper set, if you Aggro but don't defeat that many targets, you are going to need some thick skin to survive the aftermath. You could almost build this set yourself, to get a Nightcrawler like set by taking a Tank with Shield Defense, a sword assault secondary, maybe Katana, go heavy into the TP Set and Heavy into Stealth. At 50, get your Incarnate slots open and take Vorpal for Judgement. ScrapperEpic Pool Dark Mastery also has a few powers that would give the Appearance if not actual use of TP.

Power Level Effect
DarkCast Torrent.png Torrent 35 Ranged (Cone), Minor DMG(Smashing), Foe -To-Hit, Knockback
DarknessMastery PetrifyingGaze.png Petrifying Gaze 35 Ranged, Foe Hold
DarkCast DarkBlast.png Dark Blast 41 Ranged, Moderate DMG(Negative), Foe -To-Hit
DarkCast NightFall.png Night Fall 41 Ranged (Cone), Moderate DMG(Negative), Foe -To Hit
DarkCast TenebrousTentacles.png Tenebrous Tentacles 44 Ranged (Cone), Moderate DoT(Negative/Smash), Foe Immobilize, -To-Hit

It has three cones that all use a Dark murky energy appearance much like the cloud of Brimstone from Nightcrawler.

Just a few thoughts...

Edited by Marine X
  • Thanks 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Just so we're on the same page, here's the main requisite I'm looking in a "combat teleport power."

Instant, so it can be used for Get In/Get Out situations (no 2 seconds animation, because then if you're getting in, combat is already halfway through and all mobs are already dispersed so your entrance is worthless, and it'd also be worthless as escape because in 2 seconds of taking non-stop attacks all you get is appearing dead on the other side).

The AoE is "nice," but I definitely can live without it. All I want is the instant movement.

• Like 1

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

When talking about "Combat Teleport" it would be useful to be specific. Most proposals for "Combat Teleport" have been along the lines of "Combat Jump", a minor movement power with a defense component. This falls into the less common type of proposal referred to as "Combat Teleport", but more often referred to as "Assault Teleport" or another term along those lines.

There was a good thread about both forms of proposal and an overall revamp of Teleport. (I linked directly to the compiled proposal based on all the feedback in the thread)

• Thanks 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Not sure where you would add it in, unless it was an extra power linked to normal teleport like mystic flight gets a teleport baked in, but a TP that has very fast cast ( .5 seconds or less), gave a small small boost when used (could see either some def or regen being thematic, or a chance for AoE KD as you displace the things around you), and can be used 2-3 times in a row before going into a 10-15 second recharge would be nice.

• Like 1

Looking at the TP pool, it does kinda cover everything to do with TRAVEL, using teleporting. As Dragon just said..you cant really fit more into it, so maybe another, new Power Pool? The existing TP pool could be renamed something like Translocation (since that's what it is) and a new pool come in, bringing in shared elements like the Sorc and FoW pools.

The new pool could be somethnig like..Matter Transfer, and be about much shorter range teleports, instead of travel.

Tier1: Blink Assault. Teleport into combat, performing a moderate damage melee attack. Target can be stunned, with a -to hit aura around then, as it startles foes.

Tier2: Slipstream. Teleport out of combat (must be IN combat to use). Cause a -tohit/confuse pbaoe around you, tping a short distance away.

Tier3: Switch. Tp foe, but you swap places with the target, gaining a minor +def effect.

Tier4: Shadowdancer. Teleport into combat, with a pbaoe, knockdown attack

Tier5: Quantum Tunnel. Team short range tp. Long recharge. If using INTO combat, no extra effect. If used out of combat, provides a +regen/def effect.

That would let people have the old TP stuff, and newer, more useful (at least I think so) powers..and let you be like Nightcrawler!

• Thanks 1

There are a lot of options for making this work.  My two preferred paths:

• Combine Recall Friend and Teleport Foe into a single power.  Make a new combat teleport with lower cast time, range, and no hover time.  Consider slight increase to hover time to actual-teleport now that there's a choice.
  • Simply add a trick to existing Teleport to instant-block the hover effect when needed.  I'm fond of the Descend (X) key.  If there's a way to make it so the Hover instantly ends on Descend, we'd be golden.

And for clarity, when I say "combat teleport," I mean "teleport that a melee could actually use to get around in a fight."

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to bring up that there was a whole blast set designed around this concept, Vorpal Blast...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Replacement said:

There are a lot of options for making this work.  My two preferred paths:

• Combine Recall Friend and Teleport Foe into a single power.  Make a new combat teleport with lower cast time, range, and no hover time.  Consider slight increase to hover time to actual-teleport now that there's a choice.
  • Simply add a trick to existing Teleport to instant-block the hover effect when needed.  I'm fond of the Descend (X) key.  If there's a way to make it so the Hover instantly ends on Descend, we'd be golden.

And for clarity, when I say "combat teleport," I mean "teleport that a melee could actually use to get around in a fight."

On 9/21/2019 at 11:45 PM, Zepp said:

The best ideas for the rework (with sources):

T1; Recall: Can target enemy (range 200) or friend (range 20,000), brings target to caster, never causes aggro. Cast time around 3s (no interrupt) and recharge around 4s. [Cast time and Recharge needs more discourse]

On 9/21/2019 at 1:08 AM, Replacement said:

I agree with whoever said to combine recall friend and teleport foe into one power with a fast cast time (same as regular teleport) and a low cooldown.

T2: Tactical Teleport: Short range 30' Teleport with a 30s unstackable defense buff (similar level to combat jumping) and Teleport resistance.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, Zepp said:

One is a simple short-range TP with minimal animation time, short range, and low endurance cost. There is also the possibility of adding a 15-30s non-stacking defensive buff to the power to give it similar stats to combat jumping.

T3: Teleport: 3-5 endurance per TP, 6s hover after TP cancelled by movement.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, GM Sijin said:

Teleport grants you ~6 seconds of hover after the teleport. However, if you activate any movement it's cancelled immediately.

T4: Long-Range Teleport: Basically no change.

T5: Teleport Assault: Chain attack.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, Cooltastic said:

This is a PBAoE attack. No target needed. This ability both phases you out(while immobilizing you) for the duration while damaging up to 10 Foes in a Large Area around you. It has a long cooldown(Maybe 2mins) and a duration of about 3.5 seconds. The FX would be a normal teleport FX around your character while your character vanishes completely until reappearing in the same spot. Effected Enemies will be hit with large puffs of teleport smoke FX repeatedly for the duration, they just need to be sporadic in nature to make it look as if your teleporting around to each one.

Just to clarify, this from the rework thread, and I think this would be a viable update to the pool set. Combining Recall Friend and TP Foe and eliminating that power that nobody takes would open two slots. One could be used for a TP that could be used in combat or caverns (with a little defense), and the other for an attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1