Mastermind QoL: Issues and Improvments (PvE Specific)

Monos King

3 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Run a melee with 7 MM and 49 pets through a cave or office, get back to me.  No incarnate of your own, try to get a normal non-turbo tank or brute through a choke point. 

As for what you are saying I should move on consider this which might fall in line with the thread.  Open statement about pet squish factor and level, now if you follow my suggestion of where I am going with this the pets would be boosted to compensate for reduction of 7 to 4, don't you think? Increased stats and a bump in level. BOOM!  A buff.

As for an army, your not Recluse.  Your Joe Schmoe the villian in a team with up to 7 other actual players.  Maybe the MM player should consider them over feelings of superiority for the tier 1 fodder pots which die useless anway currently, leading pixel minions.  All I am saying, balance the MM without clogging up the fucking map so your team isn't slowed down getting through choke points on poorly designed maps.  NPC parties are spawned in closet offices.  That is my beef.

Now excuse me if no one follows what I am saying at the barest of ideas, gonna pick up the nemesis staff and black wand so I can spam them usless on my melee and hope no one bitchs cause I can't do shit while the original Developers had no fucking concept of 7 other people with spastic blob AI and large collision boxes in a group with their shit maps.

Done.  Only trying to suggest a fix that helps everyone without a blob of pets in my view.

Edit: I know, sounding like an ass.  Just want people to consider a good idea, the current and actual implementation are horrible since day 1.  Imp AI  is what first drove me from MM, would rather of seen MM as a strong pet class without the stupid army.

Let me put this foward, you guys want sronger pets, you guys better learn when you should and you shouldn't use to many pets. Many think its awsome to have them all out, there are times they are not necessary. MM are reliant on them, but you got to think of your team mates.

But it's NOT a good idea, It's completely against the design of the Mastermind and basically would make them suck,  and honestly if a melee toon can't figure out how to deal with MM pets, the problem is the melee toon

• Like 3

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

On 12/16/2019 at 8:02 AM, kiramon said:

-pet levels would be fine if the entire game weren’t played at +2 or +3 etc to playEr level... miserable experience to just constantly revive pets, especially how much end it costs to rebuff them. 

You know I NEVER ever thought about this.. 

Funny this never crossed my mind but once I read it I was like holy cow !

This makes A LOT of sense now.

3 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

But it's NOT a good idea, It's completely against the design of the Mastermind and basically would make them suck,  and honestly if a melee toon can't figure out how to deal with MM pets, the problem is the melee toon

Right, melee that can't get passed a choke point clogged with minions is their fault.  Hard to hit shit when stuff is bouncing your around, putting you outside that nice short 7-8 foot melee range for single target. Incarnate in the group running ahead and foot stomping a group into the ground, pfft that,s just an empathetic hand out of experience and you don't even need to summon more then 1 pet.

For calling it stupid, as this is my last post.  Idea might seem stupid to you, but this is what I was trying to say.

3 total at a time, no timer like controller pets

4 types to choose from, at any one time equaling 3- Ranged blaster/corrupter, buff/controll-dominator type (that assault bot healer is kinda cool), scrapper/stalker with fancy abilities, tank/brutish type

3 buffs

2 - can't think of anything

9 total powers.

You have in essence an army to choose, pick, and pull from to fit the occasion of controlled pets, not a misfit ragtag band wandering around with random abilities. Sound stupid?

If not that, smarter players that do not summon all their pets all the time.  You would think a smart MM could at least read the situation and think "Hey, might not be a good idea to summon those tier 1 cannon fodder" which die fast in a CoT cave.  Otherwise I am gonna bitch about it, but I don't really want to be that guy.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I think they should rework how masterminds work..

Some Hero/Villain with Henchmen have Many  Henchmen ( Tier 1, 2 and 3). 

Some Hero/Villain only have a couple of Key top notch Henchmen (Tier 2 and 3)

Some Hero/Villain have One really good sidekick/Henchmen (Tier 3) 

Everyone has a choice between 3 ACTIVE  Builds that can only be changed at a trainer. 

Modify the powers based on the ACTIVE Build. 

Similar to what Arachnos Solider and Arachnos Widow have  at level 24. 

Allow for masterminds to pick more attacks if they pick less pets. Two more to be exact.

So a One pet mastermind build would have 1 pet and 5 attacks and 2 upgrades for pets and for maybe the player as well.

Example 

You pick the one upgrade for the pet it also gives you some benefit to you.. EG first upgrade gives you DPS bonus and reduces the endurance for your personal attacks.

You pick the 2nd upgrade as well you have accuracy and dps bonus as well and some defense bonus as well and further reduces your endurance for attacks.

NOW you just opened up Mastermind Arch Type to TONS TONS TONS more options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outrider_01 said:

Right, melee that can't get passed a choke point clogged with minions is their fault.  Hard to hit shit when stuff is bouncing your around, putting you outside that nice short 7-8 foot melee range for single target. Incarnate in the group running ahead and foot stomping a group into the ground, pfft that,s just an empathetic hand out of experience and you don't even need to summon more then 1 pet.

For calling it stupid, as this is my last post.  Idea might seem stupid to you, but this is what I was trying to say.

3 total at a time, no timer like controller pets

4 types to choose from, at any one time equaling 3- Ranged blaster/corrupter, buff/controll-dominator type (that assault bot healer is kinda cool), scrapper/stalker with fancy abilities, tank/brutish type

3 buffs

2 - can't think of anything

9 total powers.

You have in essence an army to choose, pick, and pull from to fit the occasion of controlled pets, not a misfit ragtag band wandering around with random abilities. Sound stupid?

If not that, smarter players that do not summon all their pets all the time.  You would think a smart MM could at least read the situation and think "Hey, might not be a good idea to summon those tier 1 cannon fodder" which die fast in a CoT cave.  Otherwise I am gonna bitch about it, but I don't really want to be that guy.

I read up on what your saying.

I am a big mastermind player. I also have about 8 petless or semi petless masterminds as well.

• I do agree with things you are saying, but not all. 
  • I do feel like playing a mastermind should come with some sort of driving lessons. 
  • I do think that when the player isn't thinking that the team should have the option to kick his tier 1 pets off the team in a cave mission.
  • I do believe this is why when they created going Rogue they made those Sewers TONS much larger.  I think eventually they would have reworked all the cave missions to much bigger caves like the sewers. I think they realize they were a bit short sighted when masterminds came out with the original caves.
  • I think right now the way the Mastermind Arch Type is setup you can't punish the player that much for all these pets and issues. Its like blaming the Kheldian for the void npc popping up on that next mish. Its just how it is ATM. 
  • I do think personally the homecoming team as a great chance to rework masterminds into another difference Arch Type and Yes I will say they should rework it into my idea I have been pushing for a long time. IF I had the skill or if someone could point me in the direction to learn the skill I would take the time to rework it myself and present it to them on a private server. 

They should have allowed Masterminds to have the OPTION to have up to 6 pets of assorted tiers.

Again I understand your frustration.

I hope that when I try to get a team with my One pet people will pick me up and understand. 

But from what I have read Petless or semi petless is gimped in many players eyes. 

Mind you my builds are doing 3/8 and they don't care.  Mind you many players even with IOs barely do 1/8 but my toons are gimped. So you get the issue. 

So the Mastermind Player is dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation.

You can't control the pets without the numkey pad binds. If you do you are nuts.. 

Masterminds are involved and not any easy Arch Type.

Edited by plainguy

5 hours ago, plainguy said:

I think they should rework how masterminds work..

Some Hero/Villain with Henchmen have Many  Henchmen ( Tier 1, 2 and 3). 

Some Hero/Villain only have a couple of Key top notch Henchmen (Tier 2 and 3)

Some Hero/Villain have One really good sidekick/Henchmen (Tier 3) 

Everyone has a choice between 3 ACTIVE  Builds that can only be changed at a trainer. 

Modify the powers based on the ACTIVE Build. 

Similar to what Arachnos Solider and Arachnos Widow have  at level 24. 

Allow for masterminds to pick more attacks if they pick less pets. Two more to be exact.

So a One pet mastermind build would have 1 pet and 5 attacks and 2 upgrades for pets and for maybe the player as well.

Example 

You pick the one upgrade for the pet it also gives you some benefit to you.. EG first upgrade gives you DPS bonus and reduces the endurance for your personal attacks.

You pick the 2nd upgrade as well you have accuracy and dps bonus as well and some defense bonus as well and further reduces your endurance for attacks.

and stopped them being Masterminds

• Thanks 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Outrider_01 your comments indicate you have a fundamental issue with the class -as a teammate or bystander- and I don't believe your viewpoints are shared or constructive to the discussion at hand.

I believe making MM henchmen non-collision would help in the situations you've described, thank you.

I would ask you to keep your remaining comments and opinions to yourself or to air them without profanity or vitriol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, plainguy said:

That's a really neat, but also huge idea. It would be the biggest reworking of an archetype ever (and would also clash with the current supremacy but that's another thing). I would definitely suggest posting that on the other thread I provided too; it could attract attention.

17 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

and stopped them being Masterminds

No..

You can still be the regular standard mastermind.. 

I have zero clue how are just picking out what you want to read and missing everything else. 

5 hours ago, plainguy said:

No..

You can still be the regular standard mastermind.. 

I have zero clue how are just picking out what you want to read and missing everything else. 

You are reworking the AT to be three different AT's you are FUNDAMENTALLY trying to change MM's if you don't see that, and what you are suggesting is broken and will monstrously complicate the already most complex and hardest to play well AT, that ISN'T my problem

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

5 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

You are reworking the AT to be three different AT's you are FUNDAMENTALLY trying to change MM's if you don't see that, and what you are suggesting is broken and will monstrously complicate the already most complex and hardest to play well AT, that ISN'T my problem

Wow you are angry over a game.