blasters vs corr damage

cparks70402

8 hours ago, cparks70402 said:

im not understanding what your showing me. corr blasing bolt did 734 damage. the blasters didnt hit for that much. correct me if im wrong but your blaster only used blasing bolt, fire sword and hot feet oh and i think i saw blase once.

Yes, you don't understand how probability works, like I originally said. The Corruptor screenshot shows the numbers at the end of a pylon run, meaning Scourge is activating pretty much every attack. I did this to illustrate just how close the best case scenario Corruptor numbers compared to a Blaster. In reality, the Corruptor does half the displayed damage more than half the time.

Luminara explained in detail how Scourge works. Try reading up on game mechanics before putting your ignorance on display.

4 minutes ago, Dragon Crush said:

I am 100% giving far too much credit, but maybe OP is just poorly communicating a desire to show that a poorly designed test, performed once, with small sample sizes, can provide faulty data, in which case they would be correct.

Except they're not.  The same person had a complete meltdown in a thread a few weeks back because they honestly believe that they are the only person smart enough to find out that Corruptors do more damage than Blasters.  The thread got locked and nuked and no longer exists.

OP is one of those cases of a person that can't be helped.

Edited by Omega-202
  • Like 2

What I personally don't understand is why people are feeding so much emotion into this. The OP is wrong, you proved that by citing game statistics. One person seems to have even went to far as to do a Pylon Test just to do so, which is way more than I would be willing to do.

Why get so bent out of shape because he refuses to admit it? Like your granny would tell you, "it takes two to make an argument."

Just let it go and the thread will die off. 

Edited by quixoteprog
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Nope.  Scourge doesn't kick in until the target's hit points drop below 50%, and it's not guaranteed, it's a 2.5% chance for very 1% of a target's hit points below 50%.  For normal day-to-day combat, plowing your way through minions and lieutenants, Scourge contributes practically nothing.  Scourge triggering on minions is irrelevant, because unless you're deliberately holding back, or hopelessly inept, the attack which Scourged was extremely likely to have defeated the minion eithout Scourge.  On lieutenants, it has slightly more value, but concurrently, by the time you could reasonably begin triggering Scourge, the blaster will have already defeated the same target and moved on.

Precisely this. The Blaster damage buff from Defiance is guaranteed; the damage buff from Scourge is RNG-dependent. I don't agree that Scourge on a minion is irrelevant; it speeds up taking them down, but it's not something you can count on, and generally saves you no more than one attack. I've had Scourge trigger on mobs just under 50%, and fail to trigger on mobs with just a sliver of health left. If the RNG likes you, and triggers Scourge more often than the raw chance would suggest, then a Corruptor can outdamage a Blaster; however, if you look at the average damage that a Corruptor does over a large number of targets at a random amount of health, their average damage factor is roughly 0.98; when you factor in that mobs you encounter will start at 100% health, and typically spend considerably less time below 50% than above it, that number goes down. Luminara is correct that this tips the other way to a greater or lesser degree once you step up from minions -- facing Reichsmann in the Dr. Kahn Task Force, for example, with his 250,000 HP, he's going to be under 50% for a lot longer than a minion, allowing your Scourge more chances to trigger. But, again, it's wholly dependent on the RNG cooperating; it's entirely possible to fight a boss, EB, or AV into the ground and never once have Scourge trigger.

Part of what makes a Corruptor more fun, I think, is that its buff is visual. Blasters just do more damage with their attacks; you don't see anything special. Scrappers have the 'Critical Hit' floaty text when their inherent goes off, but that's almost always a single target. Beam Rifle, if you got a good target in a cluster, can give you a bunch of 'Disintegration Spread' floaties. But there's nothing that gives you a warm feeling deep down better than watching a forest of 'Scourge' floaties so densely packed you can't read them from a well-placed DoT AoE, even if it's just a low-damage power like Rain of Fire.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

The same person had a complete meltdown in a thread a few weeks back because they honestly believe that they are the only person smart enough to find out that Corruptors do more damage than Blasters.  The thread got locked and nuked and no longer exists.

I thought that was a bit of a shame... it was a fun read 😄

3 hours ago, Omega-202 said:

This thread should be closed.  The OP posted the same thing back on December 4 under a different (but similar) forum handle.  They are not going to accept any facts or arguments.  They are either trolling or not intelligent enough to understand what is going on.  

Didn't that thread get removed in a matter of hours?

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

12 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I think it happened soon after I posted that we were using it to boost our post count by posting snarky comments under the guise of helping. I was so disappointed, I had another post ready to go. 😞

33 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Yes.  After it didn't just get closed after the first blow up, some people may have pushed the envelope a bit and forced it to get shut...

Mods should shut this one before it gets bad.  Also, I have to question the OPs new handle.  Would seem that they had gotten banned and are trying to circumvent the ban with a new account.  Pretty sure there are rules against circumventing bans.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

I don't agree that Scourge on a minion is irrelevant; it speeds up taking them down, but it's not something you can count on, and generally saves you no more than one attack.

Statistically, it is irrelevant on minions, due to the functionality of attack chains coupled with the way it triggers based on target hit point percentage.  If Scourge triggers, it's most likely to occur on the final attack of a chain which would have done the job without Scourge.

It's not useless or pointless, but it's also not generally applicable for that category of foes.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

24 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

Yes.  After it didn't just get closed after the first blow up, some people may have pushed the envelope a bit and forced it to get shut...

Mods should shut this one before it gets bad.  Also, I have to question the OPs new handle.  Would seem that they had gotten banned and are trying to circumvent the ban with a new account.  Pretty sure there are rules against circumventing bans.

Then leaving threads like this one active would positively contribute to the overall health of the forum.  Public humiliation can be a versatile social tool, when used properly.

Of course, so can gene-spliced carnivorous wasps carrying viral payloads... but public humiliation is cheaper.

• Haha 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

When I question the general consensus about how something works in game, I try to remind myself to phrase it as a question.  "Hey, I think I've noticed something working differently than expected, can anyone confirm?  What am I missing?"

This is not because I'm better than other posters.  Frankly it's because I've embarrassed myself often enough that I'm a lot more cautious now about making assertions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Sailboat said:

This is not because I'm better than other posters.  Frankly it's because I've embarrassed myself often enough that I'm a lot more cautious now about making assertions.

No, that does make you better than other posters.  A sign of intelligence is knowing how to recognize what you don't know and asking for help.  Dumb people refuse to acknowledge that they may be wrong and refuse to (or are  incapable of) understanding any evidence that goes against their beliefs.  See OP as an example.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dragon Crush said:

I am 100% giving far too much credit, but maybe OP is just poorly communicating a desire to show that a poorly designed test, performed once, with small sample sizes, can provide faulty data, in which case they would be correct.

There are YouTubers whose monetization and entire business model are based entirely on this approach. 😜

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 12/15/2019 at 1:20 AM, cparks70402 said:

i did a small test to see which one does more damage. i made a lvl 1 fire corr and fire blaster. i only attacked lvl 1 minions and killed 10 on each char. i added up the total damage each one did. the corr and blaster where both using fire blast and only that power. both where hitting for 8 damage on the 1st attack. the blaster was hitting for 9 damage on the 2nd attack. the corr seemed to proc the fire dot more often than the blaster and scourge was hitting for 16 damage. this test was also with no buffs from outside sources, or reds, only using the base damage of the attack.

the blasters total damage on 10 different lvl 1 minions was 229 damage.

the corr total damage done on 10 different lvl 1 minions was 322 damage.

so overall corr do quite a bit more damage than blasters. this doesnt account for buffs or debuffs that each class can give themselves. just the base of the attacks.

I'm afraid I have to agree with most of the replies here that indicate that your test was poorly designed, poorly executed, and produces invalid results.  Sorry dude, you need to try harder to account for RNG, leverage more/different variables, and to include a larger sample size.  You might want to try with higher-level characters on the test server, and use AE to create a mission with a standard enemy group and a map large enough to accommodate more than 100 targets for a larger sample.  Be sure you enable combat logging and follow the exact same attacks/rotation with both ATs.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity is forever.

You really don't think that virally-active genetically engineered wasps can be used to improve intelligence in test subjects? 😈

Edited by Coyote
added quote

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, Outrider_01 said:

Bud, your test is flawed period.  At level 1, you hit what? 10 minions?  Blasters do more damage per hit un like corrupters, Cors would excel on an EB/AV/Bosses that are tougher when Scourge kicks in and the HP pool is massive.  Or rain of fire, those ticks add up after you fire ball a minion group.  And debuffs/buffs technical benefit both AT unless solo.  Single attacks on level 1s mean nothing.

its a test someone told me to do.

19 minutes ago, cparks70402 said:

No, they didn't.  I remember the exact post from the nuked thread that you're referring to, because I was the one who suggested it:

a) Do it at level 50 on test (because we all know that damage scalars at level 1 are not accurate) and

b) I said to use the combat log, not the floating numbers, as you have done, because floating numbers are not accurate and are rounded off.  A Blaster that hits for 9.49 damage shows as 9 and a Corruptor that hits for 7.75 damage shows as 8 (and 16 for Scourge).  The combat log gives you the real numbers.

Now to make it exactly clear to you:

1) Go on test and make a Blaster and Corruptor, with a non RNG damage primary (not fire, because the chance for bonus burn damage over time is obviously confusing you)

2) Auto level them both to 50, or some arbitrary equal level that is above lvl 20, where the early game damage curve corrects itself.

3) Go attack the same basic even level enemy with a single instance of the same power.  A simple test would be hopping over to PI, grabbing a Council radio mission at 0/1 and attacking a simple soldier.  

4) Open the combat log and take a screen shot after a single attack (just hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard).

5) Post both pictures here.  

It is very obvious that you don't understand how the game works.  You don't seem to get that people posting here have torn this game apart, and know everything about it.  You're not finding some weird thing, you're just wrong.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cparks70402 said:

You got the enthusiasm, but you need to think bigger and expand your test by testing larger numbers and hitpoints.  Belive me, I love corrupters just as much as a blaster but the blaster does more damage. 

In fact, lets remove the inherents all together basing the results on the damage shown in the info screen.  Your test was adding the scourge damage visibly, which muddied up the results.  Just go to creation screen, select blaster and corrupter, click the I with a circle in the upper right of the power selection for the blasts, crank that  slide bar to 50.  

Ice Blast, Ice bolt (first attack in the ice attack set)

Blaster - 12.51 + 50.05 = 52.56 (notice below it, says +6.6 strength to all damage way at the bottom below the side effects)

Corrupter - 8.34 + 33.37 = 41.71 (you will notice right below the damage types another 41.71, Thats the scourge total when it kicks in)

(First is smashing damage, second is ice damage.  Its a 2 damage type attack power)

As you can see, per attack the blaster is higher.  Now, 10 attacks it would it would be be 525.56 damage and 417.1....this is without the self buffing of Defiance or Scourge kicking in.  Its not the best example compared to real in game effects but once you factor in game mechanics, the blaster would hit harder every time after the first attack, but every power used is *mostly an attack*.

The corrupter on the other hand, assuming no buffs/-resist used would be doing less damage, unless they used something like Siphon Power/Kinetic or Tar Patch/Dark Miasma which increased the damage through +DMG or -Resist until the target hits the half way mark, at which it is like rolling dice to get that double damage.

The summary of what I am saying which at this point I am confusing myself is if you consider the following actions taken as an attack chain against a boss....

Blaster - Attack +Dmg, Attack +Dmg, Attack +Damage (three +Dmg at this point), 1 +Dmg fades as it wear off, another Attack +Dmg and repeat until boss is dead.

Corrupter - Siphon Power + Damage, Attack, Attack, Attack (you will notice, no buffs beyond the 1 Siphon Power), Attack until half health and dice rolls began until SCOURGE.

Good corrupter pairing to try, go Ice/Kinetic or Fire/Dark until about 30

Fun times, the Kinetic makes you like a machine gun using Ice with the +damage bonus of siphon or FULCRUM.  You got fast speed from one power and an increase damage.

Dark Miasma with fire is kinda like a trap setter....Drop Tar Patch which is -resist behind cover followed by Rain of Fire, enemy tries run out in slow motion because of a weak fear like effect then you FIREBALL to melt minions THEN SCOURGE kicks in.  And I mean it kicks in a lot with lots of +1/+2/+3 (sounds weak, but add it all up 😍)....works nice on the Lts while putting a good dent in the bosses, finish those bosses with single targets.

Does it make any sense?  I feel like am not saying what I want to say correctly.

And guys, lets go a bit easier on him regardless.  At this point we are all acting like bulls when the lady cows are in heat but the bulls are stuck in a corral only a few inches from them.  Aka, we are just getting way to excited.  Lets keep it civilized.

Cspark, just play a blaster and a corrupter to get the feel of them.  You might learn on your own the mechanics, both are awesome classes regardless of the number crunching.  Heck, numbers kinda ruin the fun.  I love offensive classes, blasters where my favorite on live and loved corrupters after about a year or so when Villains came out as it didn't interest.  I just can't get around to either class with the characters sitting on the side lines in Homecomming.....BRUTES ARE SO MUCH FUN IF YOU WANT TO SMACK THINGS DOWN 😂. Start with a blaster, very easy to understand and learn fast when you face plant from a mistake...watch that buff bar and you will see those Defiance buffs.   

Oh, and this Defiance is WAAAAAYYYYYYY better then the previous version.  That was based on hitpoints, so at 10% HP you where like +400% damage....and about half a second from kissing the pavement.  Some of us called it "Tossing the Grim Reapers Salad" cause you had to be very friendly so Grim didn't come knocking to collect 😖

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Like 2

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

@Outrider_01, 

Hey friend, you're not really helping the situation. If you're trying to explain something, it's a bad sign when you say "I'm just confusing myself" multiple times in the explanation.  We've already tried pointing OP to the tooltip numbers, but the tooltips were the whole genesis of their confusion, because they can't figure out how Scourge works in the tooltip. 

4 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

@Outrider_01, 

Hey friend, you're not really helping the situation. If you're trying to explain something, it's a bad sign when you say "I'm just confusing myself" multiple times in the explanation.  We've already tried pointing OP to the tooltip numbers, but the tooltips were the whole genesis of their confusion, because they can't figure out how Scourge works in the tooltip. 

I know, but I am not good at expressing my thoughts 🥴.  I try to dumb things down, but it sounds even stupider to me when I say it.

I suggest the OP just play the classes and have fun, numbers be damned.

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Like 2

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

1 hour ago, Coyote said:

You really don't think that virally-active genetically engineered wasps can be used to improve intelligence in test subjects? 😈

I don't think it would improve brain function, no. Looking at other possiblities within the genre, it would result in a bad temper and bug wings.

1 hour ago, Omega-202 said:

Now to make it exactly clear to you:

1) Go on test and make a Blaster and Corruptor, with a non RNG damage primary (not fire, because the chance for bonus burn damage over time is obviously confusing you)

2) Auto level them both to 50, or some arbitrary equal level that is above lvl 20, where the early game damage curve corrects itself.

3) Go attack the same basic even level enemy with a single instance of the same power.  A simple test would be hopping over to PI, grabbing a Council radio mission at 0/1 and attacking a simple soldier.  

4) Open the combat log and take a screen shot after a single attack (just hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard).

5) Post both pictures here.  

It is very obvious that you don't understand how the game works.  You don't seem to get that people posting here have torn this game apart, and know everything about it.  You're not finding some weird thing, you're just wrong.

You forgot to include /screenshotui 1, otherwise the combat log isn't going to show up on the screenshots.

While we're at it, let's actually show why the test is flawed horribly.

Here's the ranged damage chart from City of Data (while out of date for some ATs on beta, the Blaster and Corruptor numbers have not changed since this archive snapshot):

Hero

Villain

Level

Bla

Con

Def

Scr

Tan

Khe

Bru

Sta

Mas

Dom

Cor

Wid

Spi

This chart is used as a multiplier of the scale of an attack to get the base damage dealt, and I highlighted the Blaster and Corruptor columns. Note that the "damage scale" of 1.125 vs 0.75 doesn't exist at low levels - the lower damage ATs get a boost to help them out early when they don't have many powers to use - but even at level 1 a Blaster will do more damage until the Corruptor Scourges, debuffs that target, or buffs their own damage. But the damage dealt is closest at level 1.

A silly note: due to their inherent, a solo Defender will have a +20% damage buff. At level 1, this puts their damage on an unslotted attack (9.3 * 1.2, 11.16 total) higher than a Blaster's (10.25). So you can't ever use level 1 numbers to compare damage for the ATs, because it will lead you to the obvious conclusion that Defenders are the damage kings of CoH.