A forlorn hope, but...

Back before the shutdown, Positron told me that I was the only one who ever made the observation in the entire life of the game, and it's a niggly enough detail that makes absolutely no difference in the game play, but I still cringe when I see the harborages in Paragon City. All those nice red-and-white vertically striped buoys, some parked well out in the water, some parked right next to a pier... and of all of them, there are less than five that are right. The IALA maritime buoyage system specifies what colors and shapes are used to indicate navigation directions, and the striped buoy you see all over Paragon City means "fair water -- deep-draft vessels may pass on either side" -- which seems absurd for most of them, like the one ten feet from the corner of the concrete pier on the west side of Talos Island.

I didn't see your suggestion... is it for them to redo the buoys? If so... my resply is: No. It has no effect on game mechanic and as you noted.. no one aside from you has noticed..or if they have...it didn't bother them enough to bring it to anyone's attention. Would be a waste of time that could be spent on 1,824 other things that actually affect gameplay.

• Like 1

You think the buoys are bad ... try EVERY AIRFIELD IN THE GAME.

There's a runway that goes UNDER THE BRIDGE to Keyes Island out at Neutropolis ... and the other end simply stops (precipitously) at the edge of the water because the whole thing is built on a concrete pier.  I look at that and figure it's the most dangerous place to land an airplane in the world.

None of the other airfields in the game are much better with handling their terrain and takeoff/landing clearances either.  Pretty much all of them are death traps in the event of mishap on takeoff or landing.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 3 months later

To the OP: Most folks here are tl;dr. I suggest you come to your point sooner to get it taken seriously.

That being said, maybe we should have a thread JUST for small art changes? Red's airfields will (sadly) likely never get fixed but there are plenty of other things that might be...

• Retired Game Master
On 5/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, Redlynne said:

You think the buoys are bad ... try EVERY AIRFIELD IN THE GAME.

There's a runway that goes UNDER THE BRIDGE to Keyes Island out at Neutropolis ... and the other end simply stops (precipitously) at the edge of the water because the whole thing is built on a concrete pier.  I look at that and figure it's the most dangerous place to land an airplane in the world.

None of the other airfields in the game are much better with handling their terrain and takeoff/landing clearances either.  Pretty much all of them are death traps in the event of mishap on takeoff or landing.

And then there's the road/district design. Or just Skyway City in general. The sewers? The near complete lack of fire departments? The huge building to parking disparity? Hospitals with literally only one entrance/exit that require the use of stairs? The design of office spaces? The randomly placed and nearly-non-existent-in-other-areas power lines? The fact that Independence Port doesn't actually work for large ships? If this was reality Paragon City would be a testament of "And this is how you DON'T do <insert literally anything> design in a city..." Assuming the vast cave network just beneath the surface of pretty much every inch of the city didn't collapse first, anyway.

This is a game based on comic books, not a reality simulation. You'll probably want to check your expectations at the door, else you'll be nitpicking 'till your face turns blue.

• Like 1

One look at the floor plan of almost ANY building in Paragon makes it clear that the whole place was designed by an utter madman. Warehouses that sprawl all over the place . Office floors that would make Escher proud. Hospitals that are straight-forward and easy to navigate! Complete insanity, I tell you. Is it any surprise that the main function of the buoy system is to lead you to a watery grave as efficiently as possible?

13 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

And where did the Railroad crossing sign in Titan Weapons come from?

Paragon City has no railroads.

I had always assumed my tank just made his because the idea was so cool.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Run into work, climb stairs go down halls, catch the elevator ..

Which only goes up one floor..

Run down the hall, around the corner .. 

To another Elevator ... to go to the 3rd floor.  

If I worked in paragon city, I would never make it to my workspace in time.  

I love this thread and I love the super gatekeepy first response. That's the CoH forum community I've really missed...

I made an observation the other day that the monorail tracks curve and turn randomly, and often this puts them more in the way of other infrastructure. The one in Steel Canyon near the Icon building actually curves into a bunch of trees and goes over the road, and then curves back to its original path. 

If it just stayed in a straight line it wouldn't interfere with anything and pass over nothing but a grassy hill.

Obviously world design has come a long way since 2004.