Total Character Reboots on Homecoming

Marine X

On Main I had an incarnate level AR/Dev blaster. I remade him on HC as a Beam rifle/Ninjitsu Sentinel. It works well. Im not an AoE focused blaster anymore, but a boss killer. Incarnate powers have given me enough AoE to do that when I have to. 

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Hephaesto, my Fire/Thermal Corruptor back on Live, became a Fire/Fire Sentinel here. 

He's FAR more what I wanted the original character to be. A well nigh indestructable being of living steel and fire, but who throws fire and sets things on fire, but doesn't magically summon fire swords.  If Sentinels existed back when City of Villians was first released, it's exactly what he would have been.  Instead, back in live, I had to choose between making him tough like a brute, or being able to throw fire but being squishy.  He worked as a Corruptor, but I was never really happy with it.

My main Wild Claw shifted around a lot, as I never really landed on the 'right' AT/powersets for him, given he stated life as a pen-and-paper RPG character from a million years ago and never really translated into CoX quite right. However, I don't think he really counts for purposes of this topic as I couldn't decide what AT he really was in Live, let alone in the transition to Homecoming. 😁

However, I have lots of other characters..... The one that comes to mind for this topic is the Tattie Bogle, who on live was a Fire/SS Tanker and now is a Plant/Fire Dominator. When I rolled him on Live it was because I wanted to try a Tanker, and just made up some ridiculous backstory about a tree getting magical fire powers. When I went to reroll him on Homecoming, it dawned on me that having Plant powers would be more amusing than SS. To keep the Fire attacks that meant Dominator.

Totally rebuilt my main from Live.  I was a BS/Regen scrapper on Main, knight themed.  Made it a BS/Shield stalker on HC, same theme but with a backstory that covered the “dark years” to justify why he changed.

The stalker changes in i24, plus the Crit-on-demand ATO procs, just made it a far more effective build.  I couldn’t say no.  

Besides, Regen had already been nerfed to oblivion back on Live and I had retired him in disgust.  Good to play him again.

My Handle, Bludd Quartz, was a Stone Armor/ Energy melee Tanker before Sunset.  Stone Armor is obvious as to the reasons why, but I chose Energy Melee at the time because of its recharge time.  That changed, but I still enjoyed it most of the time.  With Homecoming, the character as been rebuilt as a Shield Defense/Stone Melee Tanker, with the story moving to the original's nephew.  Not much of a AT change, but a significant change in playstyle.

Thermal Bloom was a Plant/Fire Dominator before Sunset.  He actually worked out pretty well and progressed the farthest of my Praetorians back then.  Coming back to Homecoming, I built him as a completely different person in both outfit and AT as he is a Nature/Fire Defender now, though I'm wondering if I would enjoy him better as a Corruptor or back as a Dominator.

Emerald Shillelagh is a hero whose concept I created on St Patrick's Day.  He's one that I've recreated across Tanker and Brute powersets numerous times on live as I played around with his feel.  With Homecoming, I decided to try him out as a Radiation/Bio Scrapper, and I think it feels quite right for him.

Magma Rider started out as a Stone Armor/Fire Melee Tanker.  I'm trying him out as an Earth/Fire Dominator, but he doesn't seem to hold my attention as such.  I may end up switching him back.

There's only one other character that I remember from before Sunset, a Dark Melee/Fire Armor Brute that I don't have any strong feelings of recreating as such.  I have so many new characters that I've been playing around with that I don't think I'll get around to recreating him in any form any time soon.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

My main was a BS/Regen Scrapper on Live. I remade him a BS/wp brute on here. When Regen got nerfed on live he had already been retired so this is pretty much how I'm use to playing him.

My secondary was an EM/Invul Brute, I remade him a Rad/Rad Brute.

Overall I'm liking my choices so far.

I've tried to diversify my archtypes, back on live they were all blasters and scrappers.

My main Murcielago is still a dark/shield scrapper

I remade an archery/energy blaster to an archery/bio sentinel

Dark/Spines scrapper to a brute

Going to turn a triple ice blaster to an cold/ill controller. 

Two of my reboots are the same as they were shortly before the lights went out - a SJ/WP Scrapper detective from 1943, and a WM/SD Brute valkyrie who got sick of serving mead to deadbeats.  Same costumes, same names, same backgrounds.

As for my other reboots, I didn't go out of archetype, but they still feel very different.  There's a ghostly Illusion/Empathy controller who became Ill/Dark (costume slightly updated to match); an Archery/Kin defender who went Archery/TA with full name and costume overhauls (now a techie Celt from an alternate universe instead of a Gods-blessed Roman from the past); and an Archery/Energy blapper secret agent who split off into two new characters - an Archery/Martial Combat blaster Amazon and a Dual Pistols/Energy blaster agent.

All my other characters are entirely new.  None of my other "live" characters have made it here, nor are they likely to.  They were fun and all, but so are my newer creations.

I have six that have altered in this reality:

Myrmidon: old-WP/SS Tanker

new-KM/WP Brute

Vahlkyr: old-BS/WP Scrapper

new-WP/StJ Tanker

Lady Mandrake: old-Dark/Dark Defender

new-Dark/Dark Dominator

Stardancer: old-Fire/EM Blaster

new-Rad/Rad Blaster

Total Force: old-FF/DP Defender

new-DP/MC Blaster

Tien Mu: old-Ice/Storm Controller

new-Storm/Water Defender

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, Ulysses Dare said:

When I remade Ulysses on Homecoming, he changed from AR/Dev blaster to DP/Ninja. I've found the "in your face" play style that DP encourages feels more in character for a displaced pulp adventurer.

Not to mention, fun to team with in that Synapse that we were in.😄

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward