Super Packs and ATOs

Fan Mail

Do you think it would be OK to cap the number of bids?  Conversely, would it be a good idea to fake supply?  I can see if the latter was implemented, someone bidding some obscure amount and becoming frustrated because the bid 'should' be high enough.  Don't you think that would break the Market?

Well, you aren’t really faking bids; you are just putting them in at a low enough level that you are willing to buy them there, and it’s unlikely your bid will get hit.  I put in 5 inf bids everyday when I’m trying to price something out.  Lots of the time I eventually end up buying something at 5.

Capping the number of bids for an item?  I don’t see how that solves a problem that does or does not exist.  Allowing “fake supply” would involve changing the AH to allow short selling, and I think there are a whole host of problems there.  Right now you can’t sell something you don’t have.

On the plus side, I think the only thing you cannot replicate with merits (or converters) are hammi os.  If you really want something else that has no supply, you can make it.  It may be more expensive than you wish, or take more time or converters than you like, but it’s freely available in infinite numbers.

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I got my first Tanker to 50 yesterday and didn't feel like being patient on one of them with only one for sale, so I bid like 50 million and didn't get it. At that point I just bought a different one and used a few converters.

lol. That's a crazy listing price then.  Maybe it is of an exceptionally high quality, raised in an environment with natural lighting and spring water only fed the finest oats. 

Edited by Sakai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, MunkiLord said:

I got my first Tanker to 50 yesterday and didn't feel like being patient on one of them with only one for sale, so I bid like 50 million and didn't get it. At that point I just bought a different one and used a few converters.

I’ve seen a few purples trade at 30mm, which seems like a soft cap.  Spend 100 merits on a purple recipe, 2mm on salvage and crafting.  Versus spend 100 merits on converters, sell them for 23-27mm after taxes.

Who run Bartertown?

@tafilr don't think I or even a group could put a dent in demand.

Besides, I might need em on my next alt..  = )

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

14 hours ago, tafilr said:

I stole the idea, let's say from a recent TV ad, that the top 2% should pay for ATOs.  You know, the Billionaires (Boston accent). 

The only things that stand between anyone and a billion inf are:  a little bit of knowledge (which is pretty much freely given in this forum); a little bit of patience; maybe scale.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

15 hours ago, tafilr said:

I stole the idea, let's say from a recent TV ad, that the top 2% should pay for ATOs.  You know, the Billionaires (Boston accent). 

I never "played the market" in any previous MMO's I had played over the years. I finally decided to give it a shot with homecoming and it has added a layer of enjoyment to the game for me. I started out fire farming because I thought it was the best way and I was just intimidated by learning the ropes of the market. I started reading several guides and would either not fully comprehend the information in each guide or think it was just too much work and time for me.

It turns out that the most talked about market driven approach to influence is enhancement converting. Once I actually understood how this all worked and figured out how to efficiently go about this, the amount of actual gameplay time it takes to make money is much less than farming. Ironically enough it also yields a lot more money for these efforts than fire farming.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to start poking around the guides on these forums and just trying out he techniques you read about! 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 11:28 AM, Giocondi said:

I never "played the market" in any previous MMO's I had played over the years. I finally decided to give it a shot with homecoming and it has added a layer of enjoyment to the game for me. I started out fire farming because I thought it was the best way and I was just intimidated by learning the ropes of the market. I started reading several guides and would either not fully comprehend the information in each guide or think it was just too much work and time for me.

It turns out that the most talked about market driven approach to influence is enhancement converting. Once I actually understood how this all worked and figured out how to efficiently go about this, the amount of actual gameplay time it takes to make money is much less than farming. Ironically enough it also yields a lot more money for these efforts than fire farming.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to start poking around the guides on these forums and just trying out he techniques you read about! 

Seriously, there was a errr discussion about this on the Everlasting Help/LFG channels this past weekend. Some claimed farming was faster for making inf than playing the market with converters. I actually laid out how to do it more than once and showed that you can actually make wayyyy more faster than farming.

A few hours later two folks sent me a tell thanking me for showing how and that yes, they made inf faster on NEW characters than with any farming build they had, in a two hour time frame.

I told them not to thank me, to go to the Market section of the forums and thank them! 😎

• Like 7

On 1/31/2020 at 4:54 PM, tafilr said:

What we need is some of you rich suckas to buy up some Super Packs and put the stuff you don't want on /ah.  This is what I was eluding to.  lol

I was doing this, until I hit a streak of about 10 super packs in a row that gave me 0 ATO's.

• Sad 2

On 2/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

The only things that stand between anyone and a billion inf are:  a little bit of knowledge (which is pretty much freely given in this forum); a little bit of patience; maybe scale.

Absolutely true.   I spent everything on one character to kit out another last week.  In two days of putzing around on the market for a total of maybe 45 minutes I had a billion made back.  It wasn't hard or even something I had to try at.  I used the same principles as given in the guides and advice here on The Market forum.

• Like 1

Really, using converters is fine on ATO's when the supply is choked to nothing  Just buy a plentiful low value ATO like a filler piece from the controller, kheldian, or corruptor sets and then use a single converter to convert within rarity (which is all ATOs) and keep doing that until you get to your archetype. Then you use two converters to convert within category (archetype) until you get the set you want, then you use three converters to convert within set until you get the piece you want. It's entirely possible to get lucky on the first one but even if you don't you should still come out ahead compared to spending 100 merits to buy exactly the ATO you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!