Grav: Dom vs Troller

Duck-Smokes-Quack

Depends on what you're angling for.

If you're trying to stack Hold MAG beyond 54+ then the (perma) Dominator is going to be the superior choice.  But if you're looking for sheer damage throughput potential, do not discount the value of Wormhole with KB>KD to enable "safe" uses of Fulcrum Shift so as to turn Impact boosted Propel into a single target "you die now, no waiting..." power on a Gravity/Kinetics Controller.

Dominator can stack deeper MAG.

Controller is more versatile, depending on secondary powerset (and with Kinetics can get rather brutal via buffing).

So it depends on what you're (really) angling towards wanting to play.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I think Controllers get the most out of Grav. Its extra damage powers are very useful for them, while for Dominators... they compete with lots of other good attacks. Wormhole is great, but... there are Controller combos that benefit more from specific mob placement. Placing mobs together for AoEs is nice for all ATs, and Doms have more AoE powers overall, but there are a few Controller secondaries that really benefit from having an entire spawn put together nicely in one small area.

Unfortunately, Gravity Control on Dominators doesn't allow the Impact mechanic to affect the Assault set powers, so on a Dominator you can end up with an Assault set that does less damage than your primary. Then you run into the issue that a lot of the high damage Assault sets have mechanics that benefit the secondary but not the primary, e.g. Fire, Energy. So it's overall just a poorly matched powerset for its archetype.

If they ever make Impact affect Assault sets though Gravity Dominators would be beasts. If they get time to do that among the hundreds of other things we've suggested it would be worth investing in. 🙂

11 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Depends on what you're angling for.

If you're trying to stack Hold MAG beyond 54+ then the (perma) Dominator is going to be the superior choice.  But if you're looking for sheer damage throughput potential, do not discount the value of Wormhole with KB>KD to enable "safe" uses of Fulcrum Shift so as to turn Impact boosted Propel into a single target "you die now, no waiting..." power on a Gravity/Kinetics Controller.

Dominator can stack deeper MAG.

Controller is more versatile, depending on secondary powerset (and with Kinetics can get rather brutal via buffing).

So it depends on what you're (really) angling towards wanting to play.

Good breakdown, thanks!

It seems the general concenous is that Trollers do get slightly more from Grav/ than Doms.

Grav/Kin is a combo ive never even considered! But now I think about it thematically has some nice synergy (and as you stated mechanically has some nice synergy too!) 

Gona have a little play and see what I want to pair with Grav/ - im leaning towards /time + /kin atm but always looking for cool combos

11 minutes ago, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

What secondaries are you thinking of specifically here?

Traps and Storm. Traps because it can pre-set a kill area safely and Wormhole a spawn into Trip Mine x2, Acid Mortar, Seeker Bots, and Caltrops, blowing all the minions away before anyone can react... and leaving everyone else Stunned, debuffed, and heavily damaged.

Storm because Storm is mostly a single-target damage set that does a LOT of damage to 5 targets max... but generally will do it to 1-2 targets because Tornado and Lightning Storm are going to be mostly doing damage to single mobs at a time. Now bunch up everyone tightly from a Wormhole (with KB to KD IO), under Singularity, and let Tornado and LS hit 5 mobs every time, and you take what is good single-target damage and turn it into good mini-AoE (with a 5 target max, granted) damage. Gravity already does good single-target damage, so you end up with great single-target damage plus very good AoE, along with the ability to stack Disorients (Wormhole plus Thunderclap, plus some from Tornado, plus an Energy Font once in a while)... single target damage, AoE damage, a lot of Stunning. What more could someone ask for? IMO, it's the best pairing for Gravity.

2 hours ago, Duck-Smokes-Quack said:

Gonna have a little play and see what I want to pair with Grav/ - im leaning towards /time + /kin atm but always looking for cool combos

Well, there's always the Gravity/Time build I posted, if you want to look at a starting point ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, Coyote said:

Storm because Storm is mostly AWESOME

There, I fixed that for you. I agree with the others that Grav is a set that goes better with Controllers than Dominators. And Coy here is dead on, I have a Grav/Storm and it is ridiiiiiiculous. When you include the control/mitigate value of KD in storm, you end up with a ridiculous amount of it. I mean /Storm is good with most any primary, so that's a given. Then with the extra damage it adds to an already damage-y primary, you really do get a blastroller. You've got fire-and-forget AOE DoT's. You can set those off to manage the minions, then just ST the bosses till they are down, which is quick with Propel, and by that time the minions are pretty much toast. 

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, Frosticus said:

that said, Singy is pretty great and can let a dom just focus on attacking. 

Yea Singy is a monster on it's own. I honestly don't recall singy being this strong on live. But I let singy loose on a +4 mob (4 count) and it was literally utilizing all the grav powersets which I did not know it could do.

It's on my wishlist of items that the Impact mechanic in Gravity Control carry over to Assault powers. Gravity is intended to be the Blast-y control set and that works on Controllers, who don't have a blast-y secondary. If Impact worked with Assault powers, Gravity would be the premier damage set  on Dominators its intended to be.

Edited by oedipus_tex

On 2/2/2020 at 2:21 PM, oedipus_tex said:

It's on my wishlist of items that the Impact mechanic in Gravity Control carry over to Assault powers. Gravity is intended to be the Blast-y control set and that works on Controllers, who don't have a blast-y secondary. If Impact worked with Assault powers, Gravity would be the premier damage set  on Dominators its intended to be.

Does Impact work on Controller secondaries? I have a Grav/Storm and I haven't noticed it.

10 minutes ago, VV said:

Does Impact work on Controller secondaries? I have a Grav/Storm and I haven't noticed it.

It doesn't work, no. But it's no biggie because Controllers don't have a lot of attack powers anyway. Tornado and Lighting Storm are pets, not blasts, so don't benefit from Scourge/Impact/Containment etc.

• 1 month later

if you or your singy use grav distortion on a target then they will be flagged to receive impact damage for a short while.

lift and propel do bonus damage .

You can get the impact damage whether the target is contained (held) or not, they just have to be under the effect of your hold.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:51 AM, Coyote said:

Traps and Storm. Traps because it can pre-set a kill area safely and Wormhole a spawn into Trip Mine x2, Acid Mortar, Seeker Bots, and Caltrops, blowing all the minions away before anyone can react... and leaving everyone else Stunned, debuffed, and heavily damaged.

Solo play yes, on a team you won't get the luxury of that much prep time because the mobs will be gone by then.

• Sad 1

For a Dominator, Gravity's Dimension Shift is a really fun power that makes the best use of melee Assault sets like Energy, Stone, Savage, etc. You can use it to take away enemies that give the team difficulty (like removing the Kheldian-specific enemies or Sappers) and take them out yourself. Was it's original purpose for a "deal with these guys later" mechanic? Probably. But it's more fun to make it your own personal arena.

Does a Dom get to really capitalize on Impact? No. No more than a controller does. But Thunderdome.

• 2 months later
1 hour ago, Allotrion said:

Does Domination affect Wormhole’s mag?  Can it consistently tp bosses or higher level mobs?

The Stun mag, yes. The Teleport, as I understand, no. It should be able to teleport Bosses, but I think only up to +2 levels (+3 with a level shift).