Multiboxing Policy Update

Jimmy

11 hours ago, RialVestro said:

Is that even a thing people do? I can barely manage to run one account in a raid without crashing, two would be damn near impossible. (at least with my computer anyway...)

I could run 8 accounts on my computer.  I don't do that, but I could,  I stick to the 3 maximum allowed.  It's all about tweaking the settings to get it to work right.  Definitely couldn't do more than a couple on Ultra settings.

3 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

Did you miss the part where we were talking about Muntiboxing IN RAIDS? Or have you never been in a raid before? Because there's a HUGE difference between multiboxing in mini team mission map and multiboxing during a raid.

The more players that are involved with an event the greater the lag seems to be an game crashes are quite common during zone wide events like raids. I can and have easily run two accounts in the ways you've described but during a raid I can barely keep one account online and have been prone to lag and crashing. Running a second account would not even be possible in such an event. 

There's also a difference between multiboxing during an itrial map versus a zone as can be the case with MSRs and Hami, yet myself and others I know have done both when needed as was the point of the post I made in this thread 2 weeks ago about low pop Hami/MSRs: 

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/14893-multiboxing-policy-update/?do=findComment&comment=158112

Additionally I've never had issues with server performance running itrial content or the rest of the game [bar draw distance during an MSR in the bowl] and that's with Ultra settings running since last May.

I know a player on Reunion that can bring 3 accounts to an MSR when the numbers are low and they've never had an issue with performance/crashing from leaving Point du Hoc to downing the Drop Ship. Same person brings those 3 accounts to Hami when again numbers are low which is more of an issue than MSRs due to complexity.

I myself have a spare tank set up on another account specifically to act as a dedicated mito taunter that has minimal management beyond auto taunting a target because in the past there have been issues getting a taunter for each yellow.

Yes, Hami raids can be that difficult to organise on Reunion because the server just doesn't get the numbers/roles needed. This sometimes lead to multiple taunters running back and forth between 2 yellows or worse if one of the few taunters then dies, which has happened and was the main reason I made the spare tank rather than have to deal with solo taunting half the mitos myself while also help lead the league.

If you set a man a flame, you keep him warm for a day. If you set a man aflame, you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

14 hours ago, RialVestro said:

Did you miss the part where we were talking about Muntiboxing IN RAIDS? Or have you never been in a raid before? Because there's a HUGE difference between multiboxing in mini team mission map and multiboxing during a raid.

The more players that are involved with an event the greater the lag seems to be an game crashes are quite common during zone wide events like raids. I can and have easily run two accounts in the ways you've described but during a raid I can barely keep one account online and have been prone to lag and crashing. Running a second account would not even be possible in such an event. 

Something I tell my tech support guys all the time; "Just because one person has issues, does not mean everyone has issues."   In other words, you can't judge everyone else's performance by your own.

I have been with City of Heroes since Issue 2.   I have had tons of time to figure out all of the silly crap that the game does that makes it difficult.  Am I an expert?  Maybe.  I refuse to label folks with that term unless they know more than I do.  And there are a lot of folks in the game that know more than me about certain aspects of the game.  

I can tune the game client to allow me to run in almost any game scenario with quite a few accounts going at the same time, but then again I have a computer that was set up to do maximum gaming.   It's really not an issue if you have a computer with horsepower.  If you have a $399 laptop with Intel graphics, your going to have issues regardless of tuning.   

I agree that on the high population servers, multiboxing in raids shouldn't be allowed unless the raid is having difficulty filling.   Even on Excelsior we have times where it is next to impossible to fill a MSR or Hami.  The regularly scheduled raids rarely have issues filling way before start time.  Multiboxing during the regular raids is just being greedy, IMHO.  Multiboxing during a nearly empty raid is helping out.  It's all a matter of perspective.

TLDR;

People need to quit painting the entire canvas with the same brush.  It always turns out a mess.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 1:51 AM, RialVestro said:

Is that even a thing people do? I can barely manage to run one account in a raid without crashing, two would be damn near impossible. (at least with my computer anyway...)

Very popular on live especially. Back when you needed so many people to start a mission or the multi-click missions, etc.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 1:16 PM, Ura Hero said:

I could run 8 accounts on my computer.  I don't do that, but I could,  I stick to the 3 maximum allowed.  It's all about tweaking the settings to get it to work right.  Definitely couldn't do more than a couple on Ultra settings.

I test ran up to 7(?) accounts on live with my 3770k i7 and 16Gb RAM...using just the APU. Ok, so it was more about testing my hardware and "we" didn't really Go anywhere, but heh. :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• 3 weeks later
On 2/17/2020 at 12:51 AM, RialVestro said:

I ran 4 accts the other day and stayed above 60FPS. This is on an Nvidia 1080 with other hardware that was purchased back in 2013. Time for an upgrade RV!

Yea, I missed the bit about Hami raids. I don't even go to those. Only HO I ever need is a micro++ for sprint.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

2 minutes ago, RialVestro said:

Yeah, I upgraded to Nvidia a LONG time ago. And my computer has multiple Graphics card slots so I think I'm running like three of them... It's been a while since I've actually looked inside my computer and my memory is swiz cheese.

Anyway... yeah Hami raids are a whole different beast. Crashing and low frame rates is pretty common regardless of how good your hardware is. Though I'm also kinda surprised that people even do Hami raids anymore. Back on live they were pretty common almost every night until IOs were introduced and then I could never find anyone who wanted to do them anymore. They were just like make some IO's screw Hami.

That plus the Synthetic HOs you can get from doing the Statesman/Ms. Liberty TF or the Lord Recluse SF which is generally a lot easier than fighting Hamidon and gives the same benefits Hami raids pretty much died. What made people want to start doing them again?

Reward Merits. It's easy to do with a decently coordinated group.

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

22 hours ago, RialVestro said:

I once went to a Hami raid on Live where most of the players were drunk and/or...

I smell a Pinn refugee :p

On 3/9/2020 at 10:11 PM, RialVestro said:

I can't remember what the Villain zone is where you can fight Hamidon

The Abyss

I know you have to take out the Mitos in a certain order but I'm color blind and I have no freaking clue what that order is, I just target off of someone who does know what they're doing and try to attack that way.

Exactly.  Not sure how other shards do it, but on Everlasting the raid leader divides everyone into teams by purpose.  Just follow your team leader and attack what they attack.

I'm not even sure I remember how to get to that zone anymore... Through Founder's Falls I think?

Yes.  Founder's Falls  -->  Eden  -->  The Hive

*OR* use a base teleporter to go directly to Eden and from there to The Hive.

On Everlasting, there are A LOT of Hami raids.  The scheduled is listed in the message of the day for the Everlasting TFs global channel.  On weekdays, they do two raids at 7PM EST and two more at 10PM EST.  There are also raids in the Abyss on the weekend, but I don't know the schedule because I'm usually busy.

So... major thread derail but hopefully this information is helpful to someone.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.