And while we're at it, a fix for Placate

Wavicle

Make Placate into a PBAoE with a radius equal to the current range. Change the name of the power to Vanish.

Remove the PBAoE placate from Stalker Ninjitsu and replace it with Bo Ryaku, the passive that gives KB protection and Res to all, or a version of it that does that and a bonus to Endurance Recovery.

Edited by sacredlunatic
  • Like 1

I'd rather it be a targeted AoE rather than PBAoE so you can still use it on ranged targets, but otherwise /signed.

edit to clarify: with the PBAoE it's you don't get to select the first targets before you hit the target cap because it starts with the closest ones, with a targeted AoE you can use it to Placate just the ones over there while you're still shredding the ones that are on you. I could see it being more useful as a panic button as a PBAoE, I just prefer the strategic option of selecting which set of mobs to Placate first.

Edited by siolfir
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sacredlunatic said:

No, it’s a single target ranged ability  unfortunately.

It once was an AoE placate/Stealth. They nerfed it because nobody wanted to pick up tactics to counter the Placate.  But yes, I think it's time to revert it back to it's original state.

I +1 this idea. It's long overdue.

Single Target Placates serve NO USEFUL PURPOSE when clusters of Foes will just communicate their aggro to each other, overriding the Placate.  In order for Placate to "work" it has to be an ALL or NOTHING proposition because of how aggro communicates between Foes.  That in turn means that Placates ... ALL OF THEM ... need to be AoE typed rather than Single Target.

And yes, Placate for Stalkers ought to be reverted to being an AoE Placate that also places the caster back into Hidden status.  That change ALONE would be enough to make people give Placate a second look, since it would be a combo for Assassin Strike From Hide ON DEMAND while in the middle of a brawl.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Placate is one of my signature powers and it gets used fairly often. It works great.

As an AoE or a PBAoE it could be overpowered.

Also not needed, but for discussion: As a cone it might be interesting providing a little boost and a positioning aspect. (though this likely would require some actual skill).

• Haha 3

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, sacredlunatic said:

lolwut 

What character do you play that needs it to be an area of effect?!

Placate is single target and doesn't miss. The same can't be said for assassin powers from friggin hide.

There are also pool powers Pacify and Misdirection (an already available PBAoE).

@Redlynneplacate does put the character into something similar to hide for that one enemy. Crits and full assassin strike are possible in a the middle of a fight after using placate...

Edited by Troo
Wait, is this a joke thread and I totally fell for it?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

3 hours ago, Troo said:

What character do you play that needs it to be an area of effect?!

Placate is single target and doesn't miss. The same can't be said for assassin powers from friggin hide.

There are also pool powers Pacify and Misdirection (an already available PBAoE).

@Redlynneplacate does put the character into something similar to hide for that one enemy. Crits and full assassin strike are possible in a the middle of a fight after using placate...

Most stalkers are not defense based and as such Placate often fails to get them a crit.

It's just not a very useful power as it currently is and most people skip it.  If it was an aoe it would be far more useful and skipping it would be a bigger sacrifice.

• Like 1

seems to get a crit most every time after using placate.

on a minion

Spoiler

You Placate Button Man Buckshot.
Readying Bone Smasher.
You activated the Bone Smasher power.
HIT Button Man Buckshot! Your Bone Smasher power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 3.60.
You gain 1 stack of Assassin's Focus!
You hit Button Man Buckshot with your Bone Smasher for 175.42 points of Smashing damage.
You hit Button Man Buckshot with your Bone Smasher for 112.26 points of Energy damage.
You hit Button Man Buckshot with your Bone Smasher for 287.69 points of Energy damage [CRITICAL].
You Stun Button Man Buckshot with your Bone Smasher.

on a boss

Spoiler

HIT Sky Skiff! Your Placate power is autohit.
You Placate Sky Skiff.
You activated the Bone Smasher power.
HIT Sky Skiff! Your Bone Smasher power was forced to hit by streakbreaker.
You hit Sky Skiff with your Bone Smasher for 72.27 points of Smashing damage.
You hit Sky Skiff with your Bone Smasher for 46.25 points of Energy damage.
You hit Sky Skiff with your Bone Smasher for 118.53 points of Energy damage [CRITICAL].

with Energy Punch on a lieutenant

Spoiler

You Placate Sorcerer.
Energy Transfer is recharged.
You activated the Energy Punch power.
HIT Sorcerer! Your Energy Punch power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 73.20.
You hit Sorcerer with your Energy Punch for 28.24 points of Smashing damage.
You hit Sorcerer with your Energy Punch for 12.1 points of Energy damage.
You hit Sorcerer with your Energy Punch for 40.34 points of Energy damage [CRITICAL].

I'm usually pretty busy being single target focused and all. It's the same solo or in team settings. 

Seems like it does more.

Spoiler

With placate:
You hit Sky Skiff with your Bone Smasher for 118.53 points of Energy damage [CRITICAL].

Without placate:

Would it fill out an optimized attack chain for a noticeable bump? Dunno.

But if placate provided on-demand crits for an AoE.. that might be overpowered.

I'm not against a tweak but do keep an eye out for power creep, hence my comments. There are likely scenarios I am not thinking of. Placate is a signature power for my main character. I like getting in over my head and having to brawl my way out. Placate helps in various ways. As a pseudo hold/stun, return to hide-like status, as a crit creator, and as a setup for a finishing move.

Edited by Troo

7 minutes ago, Troo said:

I'm usually pretty busy being single target focused and all. It's the same solo or in team settings. 

Seems like it does more.

Reveal hidden contents

With placate:
You hit Sky Skiff with your Bone Smasher for 118.53 points of Energy damage [CRITICAL].

Without placate:

Would it fill out an optimized attack chain for a noticeable bump? Dunno.

But if placate provided on-demand crits for an AoE.. that might be overpowered.

More in the same amount of TIME.  Does the Crit outweigh the damage you have LOST by spending time casting Placate?

You have misunderstood.

The guaranteed Crit from Hide is still only, mostly, on single target attacks (I think there are some exceptions).  My suggestion in no way increases damage at all.

All I'm asking for is that Placate Hide you from the whole group of enemies.  It would not increase the damage you get from it in any way.

Edited by sacredlunatic

Cone sounds better as someone suggested, but as an AoE it would be too effective unless the recharge was much longer.  Basically ends up a control like sleep power for single attacks.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer