Third Class ATOs: GAME CHANGERS!

VileTerror

So, an idea was expressed in the weekly discussion, on Brutes:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/15412-weekly-discussion-38-brutes/?tab=comments#comment-164246

@SeraphimKensai proposed that Brutes should lose Resistance and Defense the higher their Fury bar gets after a certain threshold, but also allow the Brute to get more Damage than they currently do as a trade off.

As an across-the-board change, I think most of us would agree that it's not ideal.  BUT, what if we made it optional?  What if we allowed players to choose if they wanted their Brute SO FURIOUS that they started to fall apart at the seems?

And I got to thinking; the existing ATOs do some pretty nifty stuff.  Some of them even kind of radically redefine the paradigm of their Archetype (hello Stalker ATOs).

So what happens if we add some ATOs which go the extra mile and -seriously- redefine the Archetype?

So, we've already touched upon the potential Brute one.  A Unique which causes the Brute's Fury to provide a larger scaling Damage bonus, in exchange for Fury also inversely scaling down Resistance and Defense.  Again, this would be optional; an Enhancement which players choose to, or choose not to, slot in to their Archetype Powers.

Other options could be:

Blaster - restores the old Desperation Archetype Inherent, where the lower your life is, the higher an inherent Damage bonus becomes.

Controller - provides +50% Magnitude to all Control, and +1.5 to Crit Control, at the cost of losing Containment Damage Bonus.

Corruptor - Inverse Scourage; deal increased damage to enemies with Full and High Health, rather than enemies with low health.

Et cetera!  Please, feel free to come up with some of your own too; including for the Archetypes already listed with examples.  The more ideas we throw at the wall, the more likely one is to actually stick!   Like Science!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mastermind - remove all pets but one, increase Support values to same as Controllers.  Increase ranged attack damage to match corruptors.

Scrapper - reduce hp, def, resist.  Increase range of all primary attacks to 40 feet.

Blaster - add status protection, def, hp, resist, reduce range of primary attacks to 20 feet.

Brute - remove fury, reduce damage cap.  Increase base damage, Hit points, resist and defense scaling.  Add AOE punchvoke.  

LOL ... why are we doing this again? 

6 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Scrapper - reduce hp, def, resist.  Increase range of all primary attacks to 40 feet.

You know, forget 40 feet; I’d pay good influence for something that would up my scrapper’s reach just a couple feet (or expand that silly 50 degree melee arc on that might as well be a single-target attack for all the targets it ever hits, but has the END cost of an AoE).

21 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

You know, forget 40 feet; I’d pay good influence for something that would up my scrapper’s reach just a couple feet (or expand that silly 50 degree melee arc on that might as well be a single-target attack for all the targets it ever hits, but has the END cost of an AoE).

Titan Weapons and Staff both have increased range and bigger arcs.

Claws has nice big arcs.  

But yeah, slightly increasing Melee range might be nice just for QOL.  

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Titan Weapons and Staff both have increased range and bigger arcs.

Claws has nice big arcs.  

But yeah, slightly increasing Melee range might be nice just for QOL.  

I was thinking as another ATO set. Call it “Long Arm” (of the law) and have its sixth slot include a significant enough global range increase to bump a melee AT’s reach say 25%.

The reason I say it needs to be an ATO set (or four sets; for scrappers, tanks, brutes and stalkers) is because that way the range increases can be significant enough to matter for melee attacks (even a 40’ one would only go to 50’), but wouldn’t be slottable on ranged classes (where 80’ becomes 100’ and a snipe goes insane).

6 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

Try a Tanker then. 

10 hours ago, VileTerror said:

Blaster - restores the old Desperation Archetype Inherent, where the lower

It is called Defiance.  And no, with a 45% softcap it would be useless if you can't get hit.  And the excuse of "challenge" and "on the edge fun" is not a good excuse; leads to bad habits in a group or the fact the group healer is healing you any ways it is a human reaction.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

11 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

I was thinking as another ATO set. Call it “Long Arm” (of the law) and have its sixth slot include a significant enough global range increase to bump a melee AT’s reach say 25%.

The problem is that the range for melee attacks is specifically set to ignore buffs - otherwise it would be affected by an alpha slot, for example.

And not that anyone likely cares, but melee range has already been extended 40% once (from 5' to 7'); I think the older melee cones are all invalid per the design formulas in part because of this but there were already outliers (case in point: Slice is scale 1.23 and should be 1.12 with a 7' radius, but at a 5' radius the math works with some rounding, but Head Splitter is just treated as a single target attack by the formula).

8 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Interesting idea and kind of funny to think of weird ideas.

Here's one for Dominators. When activating Domination mode your pet explodes and does nuke damage.

LOOOOOOL! I'd like to see the comments the first time a Dominator would do this. 😁

3 hours ago, Leogunner said:

Wouldn't mind an ATO for stalkers that removes the quick AS but gives that functionality to do a % of the target's health depending on their rank. Weak against minions and LTs, around the same for Bosses but really powerful on anything above. 

That was actually on beta for a while years ago - most people commenting on it hated it because they go so little use out of it, but a few people liked how quickly they could take down AVs and GMs.

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

That was actually on beta for a while years ago - most people commenting on it hated it because they go so little use out of it, but a few people liked how quickly they could take down AVs and GMs.

I'm aware. If it was a slot option for your build, it might not be seen as so negative. 

I want to say there was a couple other iterations of stalker sets but my memory might be playing tricks. 

On 2/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, VileTerror said:

Blaster - restores the old Desperation Archetype Inherent, where the lower your life is, the higher an inherent Damage bonus becomes.

Yes! I loved that mechanic - it made blasters feel quite unique to play. I actually preferred it to the current mechanic.

I'd love the SoA's to have a chance to proc Hide, as they have a weaker version of stalker crit mechanics. I think the epic archetypes need a bit of modernising generally (especially my poor peacebringer... I remember when they were genuinely something unique and valuable), but widows are just a complete mess (they don't even have the unique visuals the other EATs have) and a chance to hide proc would give Night Widow builds a lot more viability as they're primarily in melee. Fortunatas generally make the mess work, but Night Widows are basically pre-buff stalkers without any of the things that make stalkers great.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Thanks 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

@Haijinx I don't understand you.  You seem to be trying to belittle the entire idea with paper tiger arguments of making ATs into other ATs or hyperbolize them into uselessness?  Considering all the suggestions we have for new ATs, this seems reasonable to at least read and not make fun of.

Seriously, it's ok to think through ideas that aren't your own with an open mind.  I promise it cannot hurt you.

--

Mastermind: slot to change faction, depending on chosen power set (Ninjas become Tsoo, Thugs become Hellions, Necromancy becomes banished pantheon).

Dominator: double duration but remove +Mag of Domination.

Edited by Replacement
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Replacement said:

@Haijinx I don't understand you...

None of my suggestions were serious. 

Its true there are too many AT suggestions.  Often they are made seemingly because people want to play around with inherents.

Thats what this seems to be too.  

Maybe because that's the one area you can't really modify much in the current game? 

The Devs have had trouble with inherent balancing too .. seems a challenging ask.  Not sure ATOs that multiply the permutations will actually make things better.

You have a point.  I probably do come across overly sarcastic and close minded in my earlier posts in this thread.  

• Thanks 1

Reverse Scourge might be just a wee bit too powerful if just flipped high vs low health.  but if it did best crit chance at full health, AND dropped to zero at like...60% or 70% health... maybe then.  Would still just ERASE minions, but minions aren't a big worry anyway, and you'd have to ask yourself when is the breakpoint worth it.

Some of the other suggestions though I would run screaming from like a vampire in the sun.  Remove +Mag of Domination?  Egads.