Recipe storage

chuckv3

I'm sure it's been asked before, but how about recipe storage beyond donkey toons and the "held" tab of the market.

Edited by chuckv3

TINKERERS and LEOTARDED personal supergroups on Reunion; open bases! codes TB-9014 and LT-1051

TinkerBell (MAIN) super reflexes / martial arts tanker & badge hunter; Sarabraxus, energy / energy blaster; Sarathustra, fire / therm corruptor

Scotch Bonnie / Caroline Reaper, fire/ss brutes & fire farmers; Granny Fix It / Green Granny / Great Granny, empathy/psi defenders; plus a few others.

@Xarah formerly on Champion, Triumph, Victory, now @chuckv2 / @chuckv3 / @chuckv4 on Reunion

I answered this question on Reddit the other day, but here goes again:

If they do that, the prices of every IO on there servers will go up, as they only seed salvage and not recipes. By not having recipe holders, this forces people to either vendor or sell their recipes or crafted enhancement on the market which helps keep the market stabilized due to adequate supply.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

If they do that, the prices of every IO on there servers will go up, as they only seed salvage and not recipes. By not having recipe holders, this forces people to either vendor or sell their recipes or crafted enhancement on the market which helps keep the market stabilized due to adequate supply.

There is zero functional difference between stuffing a bunch of recipes into storage in an SG base and stuffing a bunch of crafted enhancements into storage in an SG base.

Vendor trash is still vendor trash, it’s just that instead of crafting and storing things now, I’m storing things now and crafting them later.

Edited by macskull

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

26 minutes ago, macskull said:

There is zero functional difference between stuffing a bunch of recipes into storage in an SG base and stuffing a bunch of crafted enhancements into storage in an SG base.

Well, in order to store crafted enhancements you will have to craft them first, though.

That creates a cost in both resources and time to get there.

Not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing with your here, I am neutral, but I just wanted to point out to you it does seem to me there is actually a functional difference between those two options. I assume your mileage may vary concerning it, however.

• Like 1

Just build and stuff them in SG storage. You can get that accolade power for a table, you got 70 enhancement slots to hold them until you pop in to you base, game craps salvage/recipe/inf/exp, and if in the SG you can also build.  There is just no real reason to store recipes beyond a few days.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Yeah.  I used to want base storage for recipes too, but I've come around to this way of thinking.  The original Devs weren't perfect, but it wasn't an oversight that we have limited recipe retention -- it seems clear they intended there to be a lot of turnover in our recipes.

I'm not much of a market guru, but it seems like there's already a lot of recipe slots on your characters and their market interfaces -- my 50s have around 80 slots themselves plus the market storage slots have got to be 30 or beyond (I forget exactly).  So that's 100-120+ per character, and most of us have several characters (possible understatement).  It seems like if you're still not selling, crafting or using them at that point, it's bordering on hoarding.  And I used to play Diablo II for years, so believe me, I know hoarding!

My recommendation is to save the really critical or expensive ones if you want, and for the rest, treat the market as long-term storage -- put recipes in there now for cash, use the cash later to get them back out.  In the meantime you'll have acquired a lot more cash and recipes.

Edited by Sailboat

Base storage is hacky. Ever notice how the lighting fluctuates when you add/remove stuff? I do believe it's being converted to a base decorations and back. Ever notice if you remove too quickly it bugs out the order on storage? There used to be tech limitations of how storage, or possibly types, could be added. This may be a current consideration.

4 hours ago, Itikar said:

Well, in order to store crafted enhancements you will have to craft them first, though.

Not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing with your here, I am neutral, but I just wanted to point out to you it does seem to me there is actually a functional difference between those two options. I assume your mileage may vary concerning it, however.

Sure, but look at it this way - that cost is going to be there whether you craft the recipe now or in six months. The assertion that being able to store recipes would prevent them from getting to market is bullhockey because those recipes are going to get crafted eventually anyways.

4 hours ago, Sailboat said:

Yeah.  I used to want base storage for recipes too, but I've come around to this way of thinking.  The original Devs weren't perfect, but it wasn't an oversight that we have limited recipe retention -- it seems clear they intended there to be a lot of turnover in our recipes.

I'm not much of a market guru, but it seems like there's already a lot of recipe slots on your characters and their market interfaces -- my 50s have around 80 slots themselves plus the market storage slots have got to be 30 or beyond (I forget exactly).  So that's 100-120+ per character, and most of us have several characters (possible understatement).  It seems like if you're still not selling, crafting or using them at that point, it's bordering on hoarding.  And I used to play Diablo II for years, so believe me, I know hoarding!

My recommendation is to save the really critical or expensive ones if you want, and for the rest, treat the market as long-term storage -- put recipes in there now for cash, use the cash later to get them back out.  In the meantime you'll have acquired a lot more cash and recipes.

I think it's far more likely that there's no recipe storage because at the time supergroup bases and item storage were added to the game recipes didn't exist. Salvage racks were for storing base salvage to craft base items, inspiration collectors were for inspirations, and enhancement tables were for TOs/DOs/SOs/Hami-Os/whatever-Os. I like having a bunch of base storage for items because I can fill it up when I'm not building new characters, so when it's time to build something I either have most of the enhancements I need for the build, or I have a bunch of other enhancements I can convert into what I need.

For the record, I don't necessarily think recipe storage in SG bases is a necessity (though it would be nice), but the reasons people are giving for why it shouldn't exist don't make sense.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

6 hours ago, Itikar said:

I look at it this way, if the recipe isn't worth crafting for conversion or for later use then might as well just sell the recipe.  What's the point in hanging onto it.

4 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Base storage is hacky. Ever notice how the lighting fluctuates when you add/remove stuff? I do believe it's being converted to a base decorations and back. Ever notice if you remove too quickly it bugs out the order on storage? There used to be tech limitations of how storage, or possibly types, could be added. This may be a current consideration.

Every item kept in storage is a piece of base inventory, every time you place or remove something from storage your base has to be redrawn. This is also part of the reason you cannot access the AH from your base.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

8 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

o.0  This is...  nonsense.  Those are not the only choices  Not having recipe storage leads people to store them on alts, in email, or on the market - none of which are visibly increasing prices.  Nor is crafting them and storing the resulting enhancements noticeably pushing prices up.

Not to mention that increased prices also brings increased pressure to bring them out of storage and sell them or craft them and sell them.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 2/20/2020 at 9:25 AM, Outrider_01 said:

Just build and stuff them in SG storage. You can get that accolade power for a table, you got 70 enhancement slots to hold them until you pop in to you base, game craps salvage/recipe/inf/exp, and if in the SG you can also build.  There is just no real reason to store recipes beyond a few days.

That's fine but the dev's need to put a tag/marker or whatever it's called that are on the Purple recipes ( very rare ) and apply that to the RESPEC  RECIPE so you don'taccidentally sell it. I've got about a dozen them sitting in the auction house taking up space because you can't craft a respec recipe.

1 hour ago, RCU7115 said:

That's fine but the dev's need to put a tag/marker or whatever it's called that are on the Purple recipes ( very rare ) and apply that to the RESPEC  RECIPE so you don'taccidentally sell it. I've got about a dozen them sitting in the auction house taking up space because you can't craft a respec recipe.

Looking at it, it is probably not considered an "recipe" in the code like other recipes.  With no required salvage, it just adds directly to the character "You have X number of free respecs" when you use it.  Kinda like when you get a free costume coupon from the winter packs, sits in the mail until you claim  and then "You have X number of free tailor sessions" is tied directly to that one character only.

Can you mail it to an alt to hold?  You get 7 free respecs and 3 trials to get them, plus the 3 alternate build types (have to pick powers and slot, just like a respec but can change for free from one build to another and back).  At 140k to "craft" and 1 million cost on the AH its kinda pointless to horde them, lots of possibilities unless you are respecing like a woman shoe shopping.

Edited by Outrider_01

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

1 hour ago, Outrider_01 said:

Looking at it, it is probably not considered an "recipe" in the code like other recipes.  With no required salvage, it just adds directly to the character "You have X number of free respecs" when you use it.  Kinda like when you get a free costume coupon from the winter packs, sits in the mail until you claim  and then "You have X number of free tailor sessions" is tied directly to that one character only.

Can you mail it to an alt to hold?  You get 7 free respecs and 3 trials to get them, plus the 3 alternate build types (have to pick powers and slot, just like a respec but can change for free from one build to another and back).  At 140k to "craft" and 1 million cost on the AH its kinda pointless to horde them, lots of possibilities unless you are respecing like a woman shoe shopping.

It's more about not accidentally selling it a a vendor. Any other recipe you can craft and use base storage but for the respec recipe you can only store them in the AH. I believe you can't store them in the Vault and you can't use the respec recipe unless you have no free respecs to use. Yes I could sell them but I  don't want to atm.

I don't understand this desire for recipe storage. I park my characters in Ouroboros, usually at level 2, or 4. Sometimes even 1, until they get Chronologist so they get rare recipes dropped after mission completion. I tend to craft as soon as I log on. Takes all of 2 minutes, if that. 

What's so difficult about it? If you lack the salvage, don't craft. You will NEVER run out of room on your characters if you vendor the recipes you don't/won't use. You know the ones - Snare/slows, defense debuffs..those generic common invention recipes that vendor for more money than you can buy the crafted for on the AH. Maybe you loathe the converter game and have Perplexes you can't use...so vendor them. Why would you keep them? 

If you're inclined to keep everything - that's fine - craft it and keep it. If you were going to keep it - you were going to keep it for what? To look at? One of your alts was going to use it, but they can't use it until it's crafted. 

I've re-read this thread, and I'm still not understanding why one wouldn't craft/convert/sell what they get. Is it just having the choice that you want? I guess I can get that - and truth is, I don't have to understand it. I would just like to. Maybe the way you all do things is more fun than mine. <shrug>

Is it a convenience thing? You just hate crafting, so you wait until you're full? I don't get it. Just make it something you do every day - like refill on inspirations before a tf. 

• Thanks 1