How to Unlock All Mayhem Missions in a Hurry

Robotech_Master

Mayhem missions are great, aren't they? It's incredibly cathartic to be able to wander through a neighborhood and bust stuff up—sort of the City of Heroes equivalent of popping bubble wrap. And what's more, there's a contact, Lord Schweinzer, who will give you access to all the Mayhem missions without having to complete five newspaper missions first, if you earn the "Hero Slayer" badge.

"Hero Slayer" requires defeating 25 heroes, of the sort found in Mayhem Missions, tip missions, the Lord Recluse Strike Force, and a few other places. It can take forever to grind those out if you're just relying on those missions, even with the occasional LRSF thrown in. But someone told me about a really speedy way to get it, and I tested it, and it works. So, here it is for you!

1. Go to Pocket D and have Null change your Alignment to Hero or Vigilante.
  2. Go to Brickstown and talk to contact Dakota Berg, who offers part 4 of the "Who Will Die" signature story arc. He's the red storybook icon east of the hospital. You must be at least level 30 to do this.
  3. Do the first two missions of the arc at -1/x1 for speed.
  4. When you get to mission 3, set it to -1/x8. (If your character class isn't good at damage, you might want to bring a damage-class along to help with this.) This mission spawns bunches of dream-ghost-images of Malaise and Aurora, who count as "heroes" for purposes of the badge. Defeat them until you get the "Bloody Hands" badge; it shouldn't take too long.
  5. You can then quit the TF, go back to Pocket D, and have Null change you back to Rogue or Villain. "Bloody Hands" will become "Hero Slayer," and you should get Lord Schweinzer as a contact as soon as the alignment switch completes.

This also offers a speedy route for heroes or vigilantes to get the "Invader"/"Task Force Commander" accolade power if they don't want to have to do all the Task Forces to obtain it. Just get "Bloody Hands," then change to Rogue and get the exploration badges from all the Mayhem missions. (You don't even have to complete them; just go into each mission, get the badge, then exit and drop the mission.) Once you have all of them, you will get "Invader," which will magically change to "Task Force Commander" when you return to Paragon City.

(Sadly, there isn't any similarly speedy way to unlock the equivalent badge for the all-Safeguard-missions contact, Villain Disruptor. You just have to grind those out, though the Statesman (Miss Liberty) Task Force can certainly help.)

Edited by Robotech_Master
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

Minor note about Lord Schweinzer,he gives random mayhem missions so might end up doing the same one over again if you're not careful. Best to click "Ask about what else is going on" when offered mission then you will get a list that is the same every time and an easier way to keep track.

Great guide as always Robotech

I'll add in that to get Villain Disruptor, the first two missions of Provost Marchand's arc "A New War" have quite a few villains in them.  Set difficulty to -1/x1/no Bosses, tear those missions up a few times, and voila.  Maybe not as easy as for Hero Slayer, but still.

Later on,

Generator

On 2/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, SuperPlyx said:

Minor note about Lord Schweinzer,he gives random mayhem missions so might end up doing the same one over again if you're not careful. Best to click "Ask about what else is going on" when offered mission then you will get a list that is the same every time and an easier way to keep track.

Great guide as always Robotech

Also, if you're interested in speed, you can drop and regain any of the missions to try and get a closer mission door since there are only 4 or 5 total options in Port Oakes. Usually I shoot for the sub in the southern part of the map because you can get the first 4 or 5 missions at the same door. With some luck you can knock out the entire accolade in less time than it takes to finish a single TFC task force.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

8 hours ago, macskull said:

Also, if you're interested in speed, you can drop and regain any of the missions to try and get a closer mission door since there are only 4 or 5 total options in Port Oakes. Usually I shoot for the sub in the southern part of the map because you can get the first 4 or 5 missions at the same door. With some luck you can knock out the entire accolade in less time than it takes to finish a single TFC task force.

Peregrine Island and Talos Island always use the chopper.

Atlas, Kings, Skyway, Steel and Founders Falls all use the same subs, you can drop and get the mission again until you get the sub you want. I go for the one next to Lord Schweinzer.

Independence Port uses a boat SE of the map.

Brickstown uses a boat SW of the map.

To speed them I do the sub muchines at Lord Schweinzer, then the chopper ones, then IP/Bricks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Vea/@Vae/@Vew - You can call me V.

• 2 months later
On 2/25/2020 at 8:50 PM, Robotech_Master said:

(You don't even have to complete them; just go into each mission, get the badge, then exit and drop the mission.)

Is it actually possible to drop a mayhem mission?  I can't find any way to do it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later

Just want to mention that as stated you can just pop into each mission and grab the exploration badge and move on to the next one.

But should be noted you get a temp power for each bank you rob. So 9 temp powers, granted not all of them are great but a few are useful.

Also there is a badge for breaking into 10 banks.

I run these occasionally depending on AT and powers, put it on a low difficulty setting, recruit a team and rob all of them. Normally takes right at an hour.

Quick note.. unless you're level 50 you can't get the final paragrine island mission. You can unlock Lord Schweinzer earlier, but unless there's a trick I don't know, you have to be level 50 to get the invader badge without help. 

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow