Shuriken throw set

Between the powers from the weapon mastery ancillary set and martial assault for dominators, there are Nearly enough powers to put together a shuriken throwing ranged set that could be made available for blasters, defenders, and sentinels.

Maybe to give the set some extra flavor a typed damage/side effect gimmick similar to what dual pistols uses. Maybe you could choose between a defense DeBuff or toxic DOT for example. Extra points if we could get graphics to use boomerangs as well. 

This would add the option to have a natural ranged character, and is definitely an existing character trope in comics with characters like Captain Boomerang, Bullseye, the Death Throws, etc. 

Edited by RufusTFirefly
  • Like 8

Other ideas: 

Instead of Aim, they have a copy of combat training: offensive named Marksmanship.

A flashbomb aoe power that stuns and has a chance for -to hit, but no damage.

An immobilize that throws a bola.

The T9 power could be a massive PBAOE that launches a barrage of shurikens around the player.

A poison dart power that slows and applies -recharge and -recovery, with a chance for sleep. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 12:54 AM, Tyrannical said:

Throwing Blades

You are trained with deadly throwing blades, armed with an assortment of martial weaponry to attack your foes from afar.

MartialAssault ShurikenThrow.png - Shuriken Throw: Taken from Martial Assault. This fits well for the low damage/quick recharge attack.

WeaponMastery Shuriken.png - Throwing Dagger: An NPC power used by a multitude of enemies, ideal for a moderate damage ranged attack.

MartialAssault TrickShot.png - Trick Shot: Taken directly from Martial Assault. this ability works well as a nice AoE ability.

WeaponMastery ExplodingShuriken.png - Shrapnel Shuriken:  A renamed version of Weapon Mastery's Exploding Shuriken. This works as a basic AoE power.

FireBlast Aim.png - Aim: Your basic blast set 'Aim' power.

MartialAssault MasterfulThrow.png - Masterful Throw: Also taken from Martial Assault. This works perfectly as a snipe ability.

MartialAssault SpinningKick.png - Fan of Blades: NPCs like Chance McKnight have a similar ability called 'Shurikens', which is a cone version of the standard Shuriken power. Though I would perhaps give it the Eviscerate/Ripper animation.

MartialAssault ExplosiveShuriken.png - Explosive Shuriken: Taken from Martial Assault. this power works well as a low-range/high-damage attack

MartialManipulation DragonsTail.png - Blade Storm: The T9 for this set would likely be a mix of projectiles thrown in all directions, likely using the same animation as Typhoon's Edge.

Something I did a little while back!

More here;

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've actually got a different idea for a Playing Card Blast Set up my sleeve.

Yes.

I went there.

Anyway; the Set was designed for the tabletop City of Heroes game I ran a few years back.  The Power Set in question was basically made for the lovechild of Gambit and Twisted Fate from League of Legends.  The player of this character was a bit weak in the roleplay department, but it did allow me a chance to explore an interesting game mechanic.  Using an actual deck of cards (shuffled), whenever the player made an attack, he word draw a number of cards from the deck appropriate to the attack he made.  Hearts did reduced damage but Healed him.  Clubs dealt Smashing with a chance to Knockdown.  Diamonds dealt Lethal with a chance to Stun.  Spades dealt mixed Smash/Lethal with increased Damage.  The scaling on the Damage/Control Chance was determined by the value on the card, with face cards being guaranteed.

Instead of Build Up, he had a Power which allowed him to look at the next 10 cards, discard up to half, and order the remaining cards however he wanted for future attacks.

There was also a Power which allowed him to reclaim all his used cards and reshuffle the deck on a longer cooldown.

I imagine programming something like that might be a bit of a nightmare, and making it playable in this game would obviously require a few tweaks . . . but I still kind of like the idea of a Power Set which has this random effect system to it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later

I was actually thinking about recently except as a Card-throwing character.  I made this list of possible powers, but I think Tyrannical has a better set. 

Spoiler
  1. Single Missile (starter)

2. Flash Missile (starter, causes ToHit debuff on target)

3. Aimed Missile (higher crit chance, slower recharge)

4. Bleed/Burn damage missile (moderate damage, DoT, single target moderate recharge)

5. Aim or luck-like boost

6. 3 missiles in a V pattern

7. Explosive missile (small AOE, Knockback)

8. Stun Missile

9. Multi missile spread in a 180 arc

10. Rapid Fire Missile burst (low damage per shot, but lots of shots over a short period of time, slow recharge)

While Chakrum are cool and would be great to add, they're much larger than shuiken and playing cards so I'm not sure how well it would work. 

Cosmetics could similiar to Spikes in that both color of impact and geometry of missiles can be customized. Most of the missiles can be low poly and don’t require much, if any, animation.  Some ideas:

• Playing Card, 
  • Tarot Card (slightly larger card and differently textured)
  • Sutra (a tall piece of paper with inked symbols on one side used for spell casting)
  • Capsule (like Batman: TAS, tumbles in flight)
  • Stake/Spike ( for Vampire Hunters)
  • Throwing Star (spins in flight)
  • Spike Shuriken
  • Small Sphere

• Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 7:57 PM, Tyrannical said:

Something I did a little while back!

More here;

Instead of having 3 AoEs (2 being Targeted AoEs at that) I would ditch one of them and likely 1 of the ST powers (probably Throwing Daggers) to add a combination of new mechanics to it.  I realize the conceived set is meant to require the least amount of work to implement, but that doesn't always present an interesting product.

In those 2 spot's place (and also replacing Aim, so 3 extra powers), I'd introduce "Preparation" clicks and the "Throwing Stance" toggle.  Preparations would merely be 2 self-buff powers, one from Martial Assault called Envenomed Blades (so a standard +Toxic Damage to your attacks) and Tranquilizers which increases your damage and triggers debilitating debuffs to your attacks depending on the attack (like Trick Shot could have -movement, Masterful Throw a high mag sleep and -rech, etc) and Throwing Stance would be a toggle that further altered the secondary effects.  With it off, your attacks would have knockback and do standard damage but with it on, it lowers your damage, removes the knockback and grants you a def bonus to ranged.

• Like 1

Channeling a bit of Draven from League of Legends, I always thought it'd be fun for a Throwing set to have a gimmick where landed attacks have a chance of reducing cooldowns of your other Throwing powers, to represent catching and re-tossing them.  Even better if they can be set up to visually chain back to caster when it procs.

For t9, I'd go for a Targeted AoE version of Trick Shot (so each enemy struck by the targeted AoE is the epicenter of their own bounce storm.  Would create a dynamic where it compares differently to other Nukes based on number of initial targets struck).

• Like 1

I think in a way we're talking about two new power sets here.

Thrown (small) is one-and-done type missiles that are destroyed or expended on impact.  Multiple ones can be launched at once in multiple directions. 

Thrown (large) is primarily a single thrown missile that returns to the user.  A maximum of two (one for each hand) can be launched at once, but each missile can deflect and hit multiple targets. 

See my list above for Thrown (small) missiles, but Thrown (large) could include things like:

• Boomerang
  • Chakram
  • Discus
  • Giant throwing star
  • Glaive
  • Dodgeball (jk)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

@Lyris wins.

Although, "Thrown (small/large)" isn't exactly a catchy name.

What would we call these two sets to be clearly distinct between large and small?

Small Thrown = Projectile Blades

Large Thrown = Trajectile Weapons

Kind of synonyms but Projectile is focused on the "missile" as described as being a blade while Trajectile is in context of the trajectory of an object flying through the air which, if mechanically supported, changes after striking a target.

• Like 1

For the T9 I'd prefer a chain attack with a +Recharge component (+50% recharge for 5s) +KD (50% chance), call it Ricochet. It's not your standard nuke, but it sets this set up as a claws for ranged, low animation time, fast recharge set.

Also, similar to claws, I would replace the standard Aim ability with a Follow Up type attack.

For names:
Projectiles
Thrown Weapons

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation